View Poll Results: Under what name should the events of January 6 be remembered?

Voters
66. This poll is closed
  • The Republican Insurrection

26 39.39%
  • The Trump Insurrection

27 40.91%
  • Other. What?

13 19.70%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    I don’t care for either title.

Calling it the Republicans insurrection puts this in the category of partisan politics. This was way beyond this. It needs to be treated on a different level. Patriots versus lunatics if you will.

Calling it the Trump Insurrection allows people to latch on to the Trump name. No such thing as bad publicity and all that. Do as much as possible to get Trump out of the picture unless it is in a courtroom. This would take the media ignoring him, which I know is tough for website hits.

For naming this, Need to find a balance of how incompetent it was with how fringe these people are. You don’t want to elevate this to where others use putting down protests as “stopping a coup”. Ya’ll Qaeda Crackdown? Something that infers we’ve had enough of these idiots.

I believe the best thing the Democrats can do about this is go after these people hard, and not bring up the GOP ever. Let the GOP associate themselves with these people while the Dems focus on crimes. Primary any Democrat that steps out of line on this: it’s a criminal investigation, that won’t stop at party lines. Its not about going after the GOP or destroying the GOP, that seems to be happening just fine on its own. Don’t bring up any republican name on this unless they insert themselves into it (aka Cruz).

This cannot turn into another round of the political back and forth of this country.
    GOP has made it abundantly clear that they are the party of "whatever he said", when it comes to Trump. GOP is Trump. They are only now distancing themselves from Trump, after the inevitable happened. They need to be put on the spanking saddle and not stop until there is nothing but bone left of their buttocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

"Seditious rioters allowed to overrun the United States Capitol building after being incited to insurrection by then 45th President Donald Trump, Senator Ted Cruz, Senator Josh Hawley, among other right-wing extremists and white nationalists on television and social media."

Do it straight up.

Hopefully, somewhere along the line, "President Trump, Sen. Cruz, Sen. Hawley, and a number of other Republican politicians were brought to trial and sentenced for seditious conspiracy and they all died in prison miserably."

republican and trumpers are two words with the same meaning, someone with an IQ below 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    So its not an attempted coup?
    Call it what you will. I was highlighting the difference between a success, and a failure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Call it what you will. I was highlighting the difference between a success, and a failure.
    Why are you labeling it a failure? US intelligence has stated there is chatter of more attacks possible at state houses and the capitol itself before the inauguration.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Jan 6th, Trump and republicans first attempted coup of the nation.

Why are you labeling it a failure? US intelligence has stated there is chatter of more attacks possible at state houses and the capitol itself before the inauguration.
    Success means a takeover.

Or better defined; A coup d'état, often abbreviated to coup, is the overthrow of a government by non-democratic means

For them to have had any measure of success, they would have not just taken and held the WH, but taken DC.

A bunch of idiots running roughshod throughout the bldg does not a coup detat make.

15+ Year Old Account

Or better defined; A coup d'état, often abbreviated to coup, is the overthrow of a government by non-democratic means

For them to have had any measure of success, they would have not just taken and held the WH, but taken DC.

A bunch of idiots running roughshod throughout the bldg does not a coup detat make.
    Unless the US government doesn't impeach and remove the president, instilling a precedent that this behavior will not be tolerated, the US will be subject to more traitorous behavior by conservatives.

See why here:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/m....co/q7fnZDpYpt

Alliance

So its not an attempted coup?
    Less of a coup than this is: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/u...-military.html
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    The dying whimpers of a dumb, failed fascist coup.
    Casual reminder that that's exactly what the Beer Hall Putsch was.

- - - Updated - - -

They attacked the US Capitol to try to threaten the VP into overturning the results of a democratic election.

Textbook coup. Being incompetent at your coup attempt doesn't make it not a coup attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    That isn't a coup, thats the 2nd person in succession protecting our country from an unstable and traitorous president. Both Pelosi and Pence were minutes away from being executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Oh, Honey... you Trumpsters are really grasping at straws to defend murderous Nazis storming the Capitol, and trying to kill the Vice-President.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Oh, Honey... you Trumpsters are really grasping at straws to defend murderous Nazis storming the Capitol, and trying to kill the Vice-President.
    Making sure nukes don't get fired off is obviously worse than the evil we saw wed. How can you not see it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...807.html%3famp

45% of Republicans approve of the insurrection attempt.

And half of them basically blame Biden and majority think Trump is not to blame.

If this would have succeeded, ending in whatever death toll, but with Trump in power, I can fucking guarantee that 99% of Republicans would fall in line and cheer for our new Fuhrer.

Is what happened anything else than a riot ? I mean legally. What is the difference between a riot and an insurrection like you are describing ?

Given that so many republicans were willing to embrace fascism or just let it happen, I can't see myself ever voting for one. Despite me having voting for republicans in the past, they've essentially forced me to always vote democrat given their apparent hatred for democracy.

Since they didn't succeed, history will remember them for exactly what they are. They betrayed their country and its people. They made the world a worse place.

On top of that, I don't see myself ever trusting a Trump supporter. Certainly not with the safety of my friends and family. I wouldn't trust them with my pets or even smallest bit of my property. I'm not going to be hostile towards them, but I'll always have to keep in mind that their judgment is extremely poor.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2021-01-10 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Is what happened anything else than a riot ? I mean legally. What is the difference between a riot and an insurrection like you are describing ?
    Some of the people didn't know what was going on, they were just there and shocked at how easy it was to get in. Others were there for a reason, they went there with flexicuffs to take prisoners to execute, chanting at times specifically that they were there to hang Pence.

This was an attempt to overthrow our government.

A riot is when people get out of hand or when bad actors go in and inflame a situation. A riot doesn't have an end goal it's just chaos, this insurrection did have a goal and what appears to be a disturbing level of planning and cooperation from some portion of the police force.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Some of the people didn't know what was going on, they were just there and shocked at how easy it was to get in. Others were there for a reason, they went there with flexicuffs to take prisoners to execute, chanting at times specifically that they were there to hang Pence.

This was an attempt to overthrow our government.

A riot is when people get out of hand or when bad actors go in and inflame a situation. A riot doesn't have an end goal it's just chaos, this insurrection did have a goal and what appears to be a disturbing level of planning and cooperation from some portion of the police force.
    You have some good points there, though I would prefer a "more legal" (with text law) approach of the matter. So this is considered an insurrection or a riot by the current government (though it is their leader that is at the origin, talking about awkward). And by the Biden's team ?

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    You have some good points there, though I would prefer a "more legal" (with text law) approach of the matter. So this is considered an insurrection or a riot by the current government (though it is their leader that is at the origin, talking about awkward). And by the Biden's team ?
    I'm not going to dig up a video but I'm pretty sure Biden has called it seditious or insurrection. I mean he compared Cruz and Hawley to Goebbels.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I'm not going to dig up a video but I'm pretty sure Biden has called it seditious or insurrection. I mean he compared Cruz and Hawley to Goebbels.
    So american to compare people (how despicable they are) to true monsters. Easier to win an argument when you dehumanize your opponent. I cant' say I do agree with that kind of things. Since they started to arrest people, we will have to wait a little to see how it unfolds.