10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Now now, let's not deny red states the opportunity to be hypocrites. "We're against welfare!" they love to yell, while taking more tax money than they pay, "let them pull themselves up by their bootstraps! P.S. more COVID money please while we refuse to wear masks"
    You wouldn't be talking about how they're crying about relief money going to those "Failed Democratic States" like New York and California who are literally paying those poor red state bills via federal taxes would you?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    You wouldn't be talking about how they're crying about relief money going to those "Failed Democratic States" like New York and California who are literally paying those poor red state bills via federal taxes would you?
    Heavens to Betsies, no! (clutches pearls) /s

On topic: Biden asks Congress for an assault weapon ban. For obvious reasons.

The Republicans will block it. For just as obvious reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heavens to Betsies, no! (clutches pearls) /s

Oh no, get ready for "it's not an assault weapon" concern trolls. Yes, it's not the full Nazi definition for a PenisGewehr1938 in a battlefield setting. But it mind as well be for the sake of murdering unarmored civilian targets.

Anyways, continued work on this will mobilize the Dem base.

Also ... DNC raises $18.4 million in highest year-to-date haul ever.

Again, one of Biden's perks has been to select competent people for positions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Oh no, get ready for "it's not an assault weapon" concern trolls. Yes, it's not the full Nazi definition for a PenisGewehr1938 in a battlefield setting. But it mind as well be for the sake of murdering unarmored civilian targets.

Anyways, continued work on this will mobilize the Dem base.

Also ... DNC raises $18.4 million in highest year-to-date haul ever.

Again, one of Biden's perks has been to select competent people for positions.
    I mean, "assault weapon" is basically a meaningless label that's begging to be defined.

Really, there's a pretty solid argument for banning all semi-automatic and automatic weapons, along with all handguns, only permitting either with a permit, only provided if you can demonstrate a real need. But that's for things like "working as private armed security with a reputable firm", not "I like taking potshots at cans and squirrels because practicing murder skills is fun fun fun".

Yeah, I can hear the pushback, but those arguments are gonna boil down to thinking guns are super fun toys, not anything functional. "But I hunt!" Be a better hunter and stop needing to spray bullets at the target and pray you get lucky. "Self defense!" No.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, "assault weapon" is basically a meaningless label that's begging to be defined.

Really, there's a pretty solid argument for banning all semi-automatic and automatic weapons, along with all handguns, only permitting either with a permit, only provided if you can demonstrate a real need. But that's for things like "working as private armed security with a reputable firm", not "I like taking potshots at cans and squirrels because practicing murder skills is fun fun fun".

Yeah, I can hear the pushback, but those arguments are gonna boil down to thinking guns are super fun toys, not anything functional. "But I hunt!" Be a better hunter and stop needing to spray bullets at the target and pray you get lucky. "Self defense!" No.
    It would at least be clarifying to the discourse to cease using the meaningless label. I guess it just focus groups well.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I guess it just focus groups well.
    It's been a part of the common discussion for decades and has nothing to do with focus groups. See the "Assault weapons ban" in the 90's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    It would at least be clarifying to the discourse to cease using the meaningless label. I guess it just focus groups well.
    Actually, no... the boiling down conversation about gun control, to an argument about semantics, is what NRA earns those big bucks it embezzled. We literally had an assault rifle ban for a decade and these semantics didn’t seem to hinder it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's been a part of the common discussion for decades and has nothing to do with focus groups. See the "Assault weapons ban" in the 90's.
    It’s funny when conservatives mention focus groups, as Frank Luntz is a Fox News regular.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account

It's a old term that simply outgrew it's definition by 50+ years. Put people posing as "serious gun owners" like to play stupid games to defend their hobby.
    This site has simply given unserious gun owners a long leash. It should be embarrassing for anyone that owns this place.
    Remembering this gem: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...rearm-purchase
    Easy to spot the unserious gun owners.

Anyways, steering this back on topic. It's a good time to push this issue for Dems. It wins with their base. It also creates a wedge issue for GOP voters. Pitting the wing nuts against concerned parents and law enforcement.
    Not to win them over, but maybe they stay home during the midterms unable to support Boehbert and Greene.

It's a real longshot, but there's no downside at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.

I will go a step further, I support permitting for all firearms. Because I love guns, I own quite a few and enjoy them. I do believe things that harm society have to be regulated in order to protect the freedom of those using them, and those impacted by them. It is entirely reasonable to me that a deadly weapon should be controlled by permits, this isn't new, lots of historical societies did this.

For some reason, a lot of hardcore gun nuts LOVE Israeli firearms laws, which really makes me wonder if they actually read them. Israel requires a license to own firearms for anyone. They do issue a lot of them, but you can't own a weapon without that license. Weapons aren't permitted individually, instead your personal license controls what you can own (Same as your drivers license controls what you can drive). Laws like this is why nations like Switzerland and Israel can have extremely high gun ownership rates without the gun violence of the US. Anyone who loves guns should totally be backing licensing like this.

Just a show for the most part.
    And it isn't the GOP that need to get on board so much as every democrat. Which a few won't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    It's a old term that simply outgrew it's definition by 50+ years. Put people posing as "serious gun owners" like to play stupid games to defend their hobby.
    This site has simply given unserious gun owners a long leash. It should be embarrassing for anyone that owns this place.
    Remembering this gem: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...rearm-purchase
    Easy to spot the unserious gun owners.

Anyways, steering this back on topic. It's a good time to push this issue for Dems. It wins with their base. It also creates a wedge issue for GOP voters. Pitting the wing nuts against concerned parents and law enforcement.
    Not to win them over, but maybe they stay home during the midterms unable to support Boehbert and Greene.

It's a real longshot, but there's no downside at this point.
    Even if they want to avoid running afoul of the 2nd Amendment (I'd prefer to see it repealed, but good fuckin' luck), something like a full registry of firearms would be workable, as would responsibility for the use of said firearms.

By which I mean you'd need to pay to register every weapon, and those registries would go into an easily-searchable database to aid law enforcement. And the responsibility bit means that if any family member or friend gets ahold of your weapon and shoots someone, you share responsibility for that crime as the owner of said weapon; you could provide a defense by demonstrating that it was clearly stolen, but that would require evidence like showing how your gun safe was damaged when they broke into it. If they just got in because you were lax about security and they knew where to get the key or what the code was, then yeah; you're fucking responsible for their use of that weapon.

None of that interferes with the 2nd Amendment, so you're at least just dealing with regular Congressional opposition, rather than the much more difficult goalposts of trying to pass an Amendment to deal with the 2nd's wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I will go a step further, I support permitting for all firearms. Because I love guns, I own quite a few and enjoy them. I do believe things that harm society have to be regulated in order to protect the freedom of those using them, and those impacted by them. It is entirely reasonable to me that a deadly weapon should be controlled by permits, this isn't new, lots of historical societies did this.

For some reason, a lot of hardcore gun nuts LOVE Israeli firearms laws, which really makes me wonder if they actually read them. Israel requires a license to own firearms for anyone. They do issue a lot of them, but you can't own a weapon without that license. Weapons aren't permitted individually, instead your personal license controls what you can own (Same as your drivers license controls what you can drive). Laws like this is why nations like Switzerland and Israel can have extremely high gun ownership rates without the gun violence of the US. Anyone who loves guns should totally be backing licensing like this.
    Yep. I like guns too. I own a 9mm that i use to plink at targets with occasionally. Its fun. I would be totally ok with ownership being regulated in this manner.

I do think we need to get away from the "Assault Weapon" Stuff. if you actually look at these laws and their definitions of Assault weapons, its basically just banning the tacticool shit, like pistol grips for rifles, foregrips, folding stocks, and things like that. I don't think banning any of that stuff would lessen the amount of mass shootings at all. it doesn't make a gun any less functional at its job.

Its basically the Dems saying "we can't actually pass any useful reform, so we will go after these things instead"

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadriker View Post
    Yep. I like guns too. I own a 9mm that i use to plink at targets with occasionally. Its fun. I would be totally ok with ownership being regulated in this manner.

I do think we need to get away from the "Assault Weapon" Stuff. if you actually look at these laws and their definitions of Assault weapons, its basically just banning the tacticool shit, like pistol grips for rifles, foregrips, folding stocks, and things like that. I don't think banning any of that stuff would lessen the amount of mass shootings at all. it doesn't make a gun any less functional at its job.

Its basically the Dems saying "we can't actually pass any useful reform, so we will go after these things instead"
    Oh I agree, but the problem is basically caused by Gun owners refusing to do anything to self regulate, so instead the people with the least knowledge about guns wind up being the people regulating them. Which is how you wind up with stupid shit like bans on foregrips and such. (Also how you wind up with bans on switchblades, nunchucks, butterfly knives...)

That would neve happen here, not time soon anyway, though it would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Evidence for all your claims, please.
    Please don't feed the troll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Please don't feed the troll.
    Now now, it's not very nice of you to label the mentally disabled as trolls, show some compassion

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Evidence for all your claims, please.
    hey did you find that link on WV btw, I'm still trying to find what you posted since we are talking about evidence.....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    hey did you find that link on WV btw, I'm still trying to find what you posted since we are talking about evidence.....
    Oh sweet Jesus. Nobody wants to see another 40+ pages of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    oh don't worry it won't all of a sudden appear, the only thing that will appear is another excuse

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/23/inte...n-arizona.html

umm is this where we say "Thanks Biden"... ??
    At least its not a fox-con project.

Intel announced on Tuesday that it will spend $20 billion to build two new chip factories, called fabs, in Ocotillo, Arizona.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Especially after there was a mod warning about it.