Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Echoing a few who already spoke about it but the fact the "rarity" was solely based on its scarcity, which was compounded when they stopped making the cards, and allowed outside forces (scalpers, others) to dictate its value rather than a static price or achievement based gives a lot of rational for the classic TBC premium items or Bananas from the newer donations.

If these items had been oriented around something in game, an achievement, I would definitely be up there defending the exclusivity of the items. The defense of a temporarily available product through a system intentionally created for you to -potentially- spend an absurd amount of money isn't going to get a lot of traction from most folk.
    Professor Johnston often said that if you didn't know history, you didn't know anything. You were a leaf that didn't know it was part of a tree. ~Michael Crichton, Timeline

They already gave out tcg mounts before though. The riding turtle was made catchable from WoD.

I swear another item was made obtainable as well outside of the bmah but I can't recall it.

Would I be upset if everyone could get the feldrake I bought back in WoD? A little, maybe, but I wanted it because I wanted it for me, not to be better than someone who couldn't afford it.

I was a little sore about them adding the MoP CE mount to the store because my first job ever paid for it and it was more a mark of pride, but I can deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember when Beanie Babies turned out to not have the value collectors thought they would?

Yeah, life goes on.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Fyi, collectors are part of the game too, giving away the stuff they worked for, just boosts the amount of leavers.
    really? you WORKED FOR rewards from TCG? you literaly had to get lucky (or spent crapload of money) and then all "work" needed was to redeem card online to get code and go to booty bay to get the item, how the hell is that consider "woked for"?!
    and im asking this as collector with at least dozen TCG items, mounts included... and sure, "giving it away" decrease the rarity, but why do i care? i still have the item, im not gonna have tantrum and leave bcs someone else gets ti too now, literaly years after i got it, especialy if, like is the case now, its a part of charity...

as for "ruining the price" if some fool spent more than 20bucks on virtual ingame toy its his stupidity, couldnt care less about them...

Giving away TcG pet for this charity, i read they are maybe gonna add the dark portal HS (Which is almost worth 1000 euro) for the TBC deluxe edition.
    Like does Blizzard like ruining the prices of items? Or what is the point in bringing back special items that used to be required 1 specific way and now everyone just gets it?
    For the same reason there is more than one year's worth of model for like, every car in existence.

People want it.

It's on the BMAH & cost less than a WoW token on a lot of realms anyway. Better give that money to charity than to give it to Blizzard for a WoW token to buy it for gold

I'd laugh at the meltdown if they put the Zulian Tiger up
    Last edited by Toybox; 2021-03-24 at 09:46 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you collect items only only because nobody else has them instead of you actually wanting the items for what they are, then you are doing something very wrong imo. If an item only hold value for you because nobody else can have it, instead of the value of what the item is, then that's basically martin shkreli level of selfishness. I'd be happy to see these inflated price go the way of the dodo.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

So my ATT addon is showing me 96%. On completionist mode. I don't have either of those items. I am happy.

My friend that is one percent above me has one of those items. He is happy too.

The reason being because we play the game for fun and we try to apply it to whatever activity at hand. To top it off - it's by far not the first time they do it. Say hi to Cataclysm. Adapt, improvise, overcome, if you can't enjoy it for what it is.

Why so serious?

For collectors it's a big FU though.
    But hey i guess everything must be reachable for any casual noob.
    ....i mean the original card will still be worth something

Lets compare Alpha Shivan Dragon

To a more recent version

The one is still worth waaaay more hell you cant even say its the art because they have reused it

10+ Year Old Account
    OP's signature and avatar say it all.

PS:
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

As far as we know, the digital collectors edition stuff will only be available on your classic TBC characters.

For one, the mount, while entirely new, is textured to be on par with other mounts released during TBC. It would look positively awful on retail compared to modern mounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that the servers will one day be shut down I don't really think anyone has ground to stand on when it comes to a digital collectors item. If blizzard wants to make it more available to people it is well within their right.

Bad news OP, first barrier just got breached. Hope everyone will enjoy their new pet

I'm a collector.
    I have the pet.
    I don't care if everyone else got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    I'm sure out of game collectors will still pay hefty prices for unredeemed cards. Blizzard giving away a monkey isn't the end of the world.
    Blizzard could end -this- black market almost immediately if they put the chicken, tiger etc. up on their black market. I'll feel bad for buying my Flag of Ownership for $70, but I don't want to spend $1000 for a Feldrake.

Giving away TcG pet for this charity, i read they are maybe gonna add the dark portal HS (Which is almost worth 1000 euro) for the TBC deluxe edition.
    Like does Blizzard like ruining the prices of items? Or what is the point in bringing back special items that used to be required 1 specific way and now everyone just gets it?
    What value, are you planning to sell your WoW acc or something?

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Remember when Beanie Babies turned out to not have the value collectors thought they would?

Yeah, life goes on.
    Funny you say that. I was just looking up the value of some of my beanie babies yesterday and they all seemed to be going for like 300 to sometimes over 5,000. Are those troll posts? I have original ones, near mint condition, from like '93 to '96 including the 1st edition Princess Diana one.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Lighter View Post
    They already gave out tcg mounts before though. The riding turtle was made catchable from WoD.

I swear another item was made obtainable as well outside of the bmah but I can't recall it.
    It's not like what makes the cards valuable is the redeemed items anyway. Once redeemed they're worthless since they can't be traded anymore.

They've stopped printing them around 7 years ago, a lot of them have reached some insane prices online (10k$$ for Spectral Tiger is ridiculous no matter how rare it is) by now, it would've been unrealisitc to expect them to NOT do anything with TCG rewards at this point.