Page 37 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    You can try it out yourself ingame if you want. Just write a macro with the same action over and over again filling all 15 lines and compare that to a macro that only contains one line, there's a noticable difference.
    There is no difference, at all. Macro's action can NOT be queued, literally every resource will confirm this if you spend 5 second googling about it, also the mrhappy video i linked in my previous post. The only difference you might _ever_ notice that way is your spell firing off faster after the queue window because it's spamming it, but by that time the damage has already been done.
    Even if you put 100000 spells in a macro, that does not suddenly make them queueable. Even aside from the fact that you can completely miss your ogcd window using combat macro's.

Btw i'm not trying to dictate how you play the game, if you don't ever do savage/ultimate (cause that is the place where people will notice your 20-30% dps loss from using combat chain macro's, and boot you for it), you will be totally fine using them. I'm just saying throwing it out as advice without also mentioning the drawbacks is a slippery slope.
    Last edited by BeerEelemental; 2021-06-07 at 11:44 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    In fairness, that's a pretty common method developers use to dismiss a question. It's not technically false - if we had infinite resources we could do anything! - but it also often just means they don't think it's a priority and don't plan on doing anything. But saying that doesn't score you any points with the players.
    Normally I would agree but after all they did and how honestly they communicate when the fuck something up, I kinda trust them on this one. He does say when something is not a priority. Like the X-Box version. Other times he will say there is no development time for that. Which is also true but more often then not will lead to the devs just doing it in their free times (Old world flying, mahjong, all the headgear that do work on Viera).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I legitimately can't even count the number of times in WoW where a person will queue as a role just for quick queues. Example: a paladin will queue as a tank but will be in ret spec for the whole dungeon/lfr. Or a shaman queues as heals but is in elemental/enhancement. It happens SO often. I'm legitimately surprised you haven't seen it much.
    I do it occasionally on my Shaman, but when we zone in I check the group's gear and ask the tank if they're cool with an elemental 'healer'. That said, Resto Shammies do quite a bit of DPS if there's nobody to heal anyway, so you may as well just be in Resto spec and DPS if there's nothing else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerEelemental View Post
    There is no difference, at all. Macro's action can NOT be queued, literally every resource will confirm this if you spend 5 second googling about it, also the mrhappy video i linked in my previous post. The only difference you might _ever_ notice that way is your spell firing off faster after the queue window because it's spamming it, but by that time the damage has already been done.
    Even if you put 100000 spells in a macro, that does not suddenly make them queueable. Even aside from the fact that you can completely miss your ogcd window using combat macro's.

Btw i'm not trying to dictate how you play the game, if you don't ever do savage/ultimate (cause that is the place where people will notice your 20-30% dps loss from using combat chain macro's, and boot you for it), you will be totally fine using them. I'm just saying throwing it out as advice without also mentioning the drawbacks is a slippery slope.
    If you say so. I've tried with and without macros on dummies and gotten the exact same result according to ACT, I see zero "stutter" (can't find a better word for it) when going from one GCD to the next when using macros that have repeated lines, one GCD flows into the next one just as smooth as it would without using a macro.

Edit:
    Here's a test I did. The upper one is from just using Heated Split Shot without a macro and the lower one is using a macro with multiple lines of Heated Split Shot in it. Roughly 5 minutes for both tests.

Last edited by Echo of Soul; 2021-06-07 at 12:38 PM.

If you say so. I've tried with and without macros on dummies and gotten the exact same result according to ACT, I see zero "stutter" (can't find a better word for it) when going from one GCD to the next when using macros that have repeated lines, one GCD flows into the next one just as smooth as it would without using a macro.

Edit:
    Here's a test I did. The upper one is from just using Heated Split Shot without a macro and the lower one is using a macro with multiple lines of Heated Split Shot in it. Roughly 5 minutes for both tests.

Please just watch the video i linked before.... Macro's have nothing to do with 'stutter', it's about the action queue.
    without macro's you can queue your next action 0,5 seconds _before_ your gcd ends, to eliminate lag. With macro's you can not, and you can only queue _after_ your gcd ends.

This has been proven over and over and over again by theorycrafters and big raiders etc and there are literally a ton if videos showing the evidence on youtube and all over reddit, showing action queueing (so, without macros) makes a _very_ large difference in damage output.
    Last edited by BeerEelemental; 2021-06-07 at 12:50 PM.

In fairness, that's a pretty common method developers use to dismiss a question. It's not technically false - if we had infinite resources we could do anything! - but it also often just means they don't think it's a priority and don't plan on doing anything. But saying that doesn't score you any points with the players.
    But in fairness to this team, they will straight up say when something is not in the cards. I can't think of a single time when they used the lawyer "That's something we'd like to do in the future"-speech when they did not have any intent to follow through. Maybe expanding on egi glamours, but that might be it, but I still wholly believe there was intent there, originally.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerEelemental View Post
    Please just watch the video i linked before.... Macro's have nothing to do with 'stutter', it's about the action queue.
    without macro's you can queue your next action 0,5 seconds _before_ your gcd ends, to eliminate lag. With macro's you can not, and you can only queue _after_ your gcd ends.

This has been proven over and over and over again by theorycrafters and big raiders etc and there are literally a ton if videos showing the evidence on youtube and all over reddit, showing action queueing (so, without macros) makes a _very_ large difference in damage output.
    Yeah that's what I mean by stutter. If I use a macro with a single line there will be a noticable gap where one GCD ends and the next one begins. When using a macro with multiple lines or no macro at all that doesn't happen. Sure it may not strictly put the ability in queue but the end result is the same, the ability goes off at the same time using both methods. I haven't tried it with lag though since my 4G router is really good so I'm sure he has a point and it will work worse if you have a bad Internet connection.

Edit 1: I tried it using a single press just to confirm (I usually spam the button a few times before the GCD becomes ready) and you can press it once while the ability is still on cooldown and the next one will go off just like it would when queueing an ability. Like I said, you can try it out yourself if you want, it works great for me and my DPS is identical with or without them.

Edit 2: The reason that I use these macros is because of a work injury. While I can play the regular way it puts a lot more strain on my hand so I prefer not to and since the loss in performance is non existent I don't feel like I sacrifice anything by doing so.
    Last edited by Echo of Soul; 2021-06-07 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    I really REALLY wanted to play Ninja when I started playing but I absolutely hate positionals, especially on console. It's not challenging or fun, its just annoying.
    Ninja only has one positional that's used every ~60 seconds and a 60s cooldown with a positional effect and that's a deal breaker?

If we were talking Monk, or even Dragoon, I'd understand but Ninja?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    My problem is that it sucks, uhmm, yeah, that's it. No need for further explanation.
    "Why does it suck?" would be the explanation you should provide, if you were interested in discussing it.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2021-06-07 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Ninja only has one positional that's used every ~60 seconds and a 60s cooldown with a positional effect and that's a deal breaker?

If we were talking Monk, or even Dragoon, I'd understand but Ninja?
    Aeolian Edge, Armor Crush

And yes, it's a deal breaker.

Aeolian Edge, Armor Crush

And yes, it's a deal breaker.
    You're right, forgot about Aeolian Edge. I was thinking of Armor Crush and Trick Attack, so it has 3.

My point was it's the least positional dependent melee DPS job (maybe tied with SAM for least amount? I'm not 100% sure), as of right now anyway, I have no idea if Reaper will have positionals or not.

Wasn't trying to be snarky, just asking the question. I don't like positionals either, but I did level all jobs to 80 and of the melee DPS, Ninja was the most enjoyable by a large margin. The job I play most is Red Mage.

I hope Reaper doesn't have positionals, or at leasy very very few of them. They're not a complete deal breaker for me, but they are the reason I play Monk as little as possible just to get it leveled.

You're right, forgot about Aeolian Edge. I was thinking of Armor Crush and Trick Attack, so it has 3.

My point was it's the least positional dependent melee DPS job (maybe tied with SAM for least amount? I'm not 100% sure), as of right now anyway, I have no idea if Reaper will have positionals or not.

Wasn't trying to be snarky, just asking the question. I don't like positionals either, but I did level all jobs to 80 and of the melee DPS, Ninja was the most enjoyable by a large margin. The job I play most is Red Mage.

I hope Reaper doesn't have positionals, or at leasy very very few of them. They're not a complete deal breaker for me, but they are the reason I play Monk as little as possible just to get it leveled.
    I wasn't being snarky either. I don't like doing positionals, especially on melee. That's why I enjoyed Samurai so much in Stormblood. It didn't have any. So as of this expansion, I'm tanking but wanna try Machinist since it looks much more fun than the jumbled nonsense mess it used to be.

I wasn't being snarky either. I don't like doing positionals, especially on melee. That's why I enjoyed Samurai so much in Stormblood. It didn't have any. So as of this expansion, I'm tanking but wanna try Machinist since it looks much more fun than the jumbled nonsense mess it used to be.
    Samurai does have positionals, they just don't affect the damage potency of the attack, but they do impact your Kenki Gauge gains. Gekko and Kasha, if done from the right position, give 5 more Kenki than they normally do. So while it's not a direct impact to your DPS through a potency difference of the attack, your overall damage potential is impacted since over a fight you'll be using fewer Kenki abilities had you been hitting the positionals.

Machinist is really fun. Especially when you're not trying to double weave (I honestly don't know how people do it). It feels great since the rework, FAR more straight forward, with several moves that just look and feel great to use. I just prefer Red Mage and Dancer because they provide some extra utility, and I prefer their overall aesthetic more.

After having about 3500 hours in the game. I really did like ffxiv alot, but what pulled me back to wow instead was the lack of pvp in the game. No world pvp, no arena. No pvp gear progression system. I would come back if those were put into the game. The last thing i remember was like 1 battle ground and everyone's gear was normalized. The other thing is for some odd reason parsers/recount/details addons to gauge player performance are against ToS for some reason. The funny thing is that all the high end statics use them, they just keep it in discord out of fear of butthurt members reporting them.

Samurai does have positionals, they just don't affect the damage potency of the attack, but they do impact your Kenki Gauge gains. Gekko and Kasha, if done from the right position, give 5 more Kenki than they normally do. So while it's not a direct impact to your DPS through a potency difference of the attack, your overall damage potential is impacted since over a fight you'll be using fewer Kenki abilities had you been hitting the positionals.

Machinist is really fun. Especially when you're not trying to double weave (I honestly don't know how people do it). It feels great since the rework, FAR more straight forward, with several moves that just look and feel great to use. I just prefer Red Mage and Dancer because they provide some extra utility, and I prefer their overall aesthetic more.
    I didn't want to even mention just playing Sam without doing positionals because we have min/max people here who get overly upset when you don't play 100%.

I am excited to get into Machinist. I also like how they added the new tools to cater to the Edgar Figaro fandom. It's cool to me since I'm old enough to remember playing that when it first came out when I was 13...

I think this is more of a state of mind thing than actually a thing ingame.

The positionals aren't really important. The effect still goes through. This was different in the past but nowadays you can just ignore them if you don't want to do them honestly. (At least as SAM/NIN.. I'm not playing MNK and as DRG it didn't seem that important either.)
    At worst, just stay behind the boss and it's no different to WoW.
    As Ninja, you'll hit 80% of your positionals that way.

As for the rest? Just assume you missed one or two GCDs throughout a 8 minute fight and wave it off... Not playing them literally means you are like

If you could do it for SAM why not fore NIN? Doesn't sound to me that you are min-maxer so I kinda don't get it. What I really want to talk about though is this part:

I don't like doing positionals, especially on melee
    You'd prefer doing positionals as range over melee? Wtf? That's.... odd.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-06-07 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    It's apparent to me that whoever pushes this narrative has not played any difficulty higher than heroic starting from possibly Mogu'shan vaults.
    How can you say this in a world where Tomb of Sargeras exists is completely beyond me.
    It's apparent to me you've never played FFXIV

Really? Where can I read about these facts? I always thought that Blizzard had a lot more resources but since I hadn't seen any numbers it was just guess work.
    It's an old post, but very insightful. I have no knowledge of how that's changed since then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...ges_over_time/

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    That was kinda my original point. If you are used to FFXIV fights, WoW fights look boring. If you are used to WoW fights, FFXIV fights look boring. Look being the important part. I guess my problem with the Sylvanas fight is that the mechanics don't seem all that creative.
    I'm used to both so I don't quite have that issue. I mean if we look at Shiva (last savage I did), there were IMO only 2 mechanics that entire fight that were any bit interesting. Mirror Mirror, and MAYBE Wyrm's Lament. Lights Rampant was just vomit, and everything else was standard fare or basic.

I genuinely enjoyed Denathrius' mechanics, but agree that most were pretty basic.

As for the second part: He said so in an interview. Like they flat out asked why we don't have a transmog log like WoW. And he said he would love to do that if he had the same resources as WoW. Either funding or resources, don't remember the exact wording. There are a lot of things he wants to do but cant.
    While I love Yoshi P as much as the next person, I'd be very surprised if he knew what the budget for a WoW feature of expansion was. The answer reads and sounds like a total cop out.

Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    It's apparent to me that whoever pushes this narrative has not played any difficulty higher than heroic starting from possibly Mogu'shan vaults.
    How can you say this in a world where Tomb of Sargeras exists is completely beyond me.
    ToS was also an outlier in difficulty if we're speaking KJ specifically, the rest of the raid was fairly normal IMO. That said, FF14 high end raiding is significantly less forgiving with respect to specific mechanics when compared to mythic raiding in WoW. That said, it's also MUCH faster to learn because you only need 7 other clowns to learn it, and you have infinite res' to bypass the few mistakes that don't instawipe the party.

Edit 2: The reason that I use these macros is because of a work injury. While I can play the regular way it puts a lot more strain on my hand so I prefer not to and since the loss in performance is non existent I don't feel like I sacrifice anything by doing so.
    I don't actually understand what you're using these macros for though? It looks like you're comparing the functionality of spamming an ability in a macro vs. using the default spell queuing? If anything I'd believe that spamming it works just fine (and actually mimics a AHK macro I've used for over 10 years in WoW/FF14 to help prevent RSI and keep me performing optimally over longer gaming sessions).

However, it's been VERY proven that complex or even simple rotation macros do not outperform doing it manually, but that doesn't appear to be what you're doing. Do you want me to DM you my AHK macro?
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2021-06-07 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    It's apparent to me you've never played FFXIV
    Yep. Endgame content in FFXIV is an incredibly choreographed dance, weaving your footwork with multiple partners and your own motions and trying to balance all that. Whereas WoW... there's a degree of RNG present that often forces you to think on the fly and adapt. They're both very different beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    It's an old post, but very insightful. I have no knowledge of how that's changed since then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...ges_over_time/
    Okay, according to the source you provided WoW had 300 devs 3 years ago and FFXIV had 264.
    Unless math has changed since then the FFXIV team was smaller, not bigger. Maybe it's inaccurate since you used reddit as a source instead of official statements? I'd be psyched if FFXIV had gotten more resources than WoW recently so if you find something official please don't hesitate to send me a link.
    Last edited by Echo of Soul; 2021-06-07 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Yep. Endgame content in FFXIV is an incredibly choreographed dance, weaving your footwork with multiple partners and your own motions and trying to balance all that. Whereas WoW... there's a degree of RNG present that often forces you to think on the fly and adapt. They're both very different beasts.
    If someone dies in a WoW raid encounter, you can recover. If someone dies in a raid in FFXIV on higher difficulties, that encounter is essentially over.