Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What alignment is the player ?

What D&D type of alignment is the player in the lore and in the game ?

7+ Year Old Account
    They are whatever the story calls for at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say that in the game we are by default Lawful Neutral. We are by definition loyal to our factions and we did some questionable things...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Default would likely be TN- the ever so flexible normal person alignment. That said i could see the argument be made for NE given the mercenary nature of their work and overall behaving like a swarm of locusts.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    True neutral

"The "true" neutral looks upon all other alignments as facets of the system of many things. Thus, each aspect--evil and good, chaos and law--of things must be retained in balance to maintain the status quo; for things as they are cannot be improved upon except temporarily, and even then but superficially."

The player character will fight the agents of good, evil, light, void, law, order, etc with the same drive to complete their goals.

Chaotic Dumb.

How is this even in question.

My Ren'dorei main would be Neutral Good just like the Ren'dorei in general.

She is neither Lawful nor Chaotic. She is not Lawful because she's an outcast exiled by her own kind for beseeching a dark power. She is not Chaotic either, because she has always believed in the Alliance's ideals. Those ideals that brought Magister Umbric to denounce the despicable system that crushes the goblin masses. They are devoted to the ideals of justice and equity.

And obviously, and this is true for all Ren'dorei, she is not Evil, because ultimately she only wants to protect Quel'Thalas and all of Azeroth from the Shadows.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2021-11-24 at 10:39 PM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    And obviously, and this is true for all Ren'dorei, she is not Evil, because ultimately she only wants to protect Quel'Thalas and all of Azeroth from the Shadows.
    That's kind of a shallow view of character alignment. Evil character alignment has more to do with what you are willing to do in order to see your ends met rather than the nobility of those ends.

Also, because the player character has effectively no choice in terms of quest fulfillment they actually have no alignment at all, since having an alignment requires choice by definition.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Evil Leagal.
    Follow orders and just because you get paid.
    If the order is to burn an orphanage or save it, he does not care if you pay him.
    But if they don't pay him to save the Orphanage, he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Chaotic Dumb.

Thread over, this is the only correct answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    A textbook example of chaotic neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My Ren'dorei main would be Neutral Good just like the Ren'dorei in general.

She is neither Lawful nor Chaotic. She is not Lawful because she's an outcast exiled by her own kind for beseeching a dark power. She is not Chaotic either, because she has always believed in the Alliance's ideals. Those ideals that brought Magister Umbric to denounce the despicable system that crushes the goblin masses. They are devoted to the ideals of justice and equity.

The general Ren'dorei strikes me as more of a CN to be honest, from their showings. They're not fussed about laws or altruism, whilst also being quite reckless and at times outright cruel. Even by your own description here(and in other threads). Alignments are good for giving an expectation of a general trend of a character'S behavior not wholly encompass it.

Quote Originally Posted by sighy View Post
    The general Ren'dorei strikes me as more of a CN to be honest, from their showings. They're not fussed about laws or altruism, whilst also being quite reckless and at times outright cruel. Even by your own description here(and in other threads). Alignments are good for giving an expectation of a general trend of a character'S behavior not wholly encompass it.
    They are not complete neutral because that would imply that they cannot be classified as Good.

Which is false, the Ren'dorei ARE good people. All they want is to protect Azeroth and Quel'Thalas and correct any injustice they see (like with the oppressed goblin). The worst things they've done is play with some bones and send a couple of robots into the Void.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

True Neutral, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellvis View Post
    What D&D type of alignment is the player in the lore and in the game ?
    Absolutely depends on which quests you choose to complete. The Horde side of War of Thorns was Lawful Evil.

But Covenants are easy.

Night Fae = Chaotic Good.
    Kyrian = Lawful Good.
    Necrolords = Chaotic Evil.
    Venthyr: Lawful Evil.

Asking the deep philosophical questions.

All over the place. There are Horde quests where you slaughter helpless humans by bashing their heads in with a shovel. Also quests where you participate in helping produce biological weapons of mass destruction, and commit genocide. There are Alliance quests where you murder ambassadors and steal the native's land so you can mine it for oil. There are quests where you torture people for information. And then there are quests that pretend that the player didn't do any of the above and is a paragon of righteous who fights against such evildoers who do the above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Kind of depends on the player's own view of their character and their place in the game story. WoW abounds with examples of every class/spec played in just about every alignment under the sun. From penitent Chaotic Good Death Knights to vengeful and overzealous Lawful Evil Paladins to everything in-between.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Chaotic Dumb.

NPC: Hey Player bring me back 12 grizzly bear ballsacks and I will give you this rusty sword I pried from the fingers of my dead uncle's cold mutilated body.
    Player: You had me at ballsacks.

I kinda see it like this

PVE story you don't RP you are Lawful Neutral with some variations between classes. You mainly follow orders of your superiors and don't really differentiate moral choices though occasionally you might do a stereotypical evil or good thing

Otherwise it's whatever you want since you write the thought process of your own head.