Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Its CRs game he can develop it any way he wants, waiting longer for a more complete game is far better than getting something that is missing too much.
    It is, but he's gotta keep backers happy enough to keep throwing money at the game. Which he has been successful at so far, but we'll see if this has any impact on that.

It's his game, but is' not his money being used. His vision literally only goes as far as backers are willing to fund it.

It is honestly beyond me how people can care so little about how their hard earned money is being treated by potential scammers...

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It is, but he's gotta keep backers happy enough to keep throwing money at the game. Which he has been successful at so far, but we'll see if this has any impact on that.

It's his game, but is' not his money being used. His vision literally only goes as far as backers are willing to fund it.
    Noone is offering a vision of a space game like star citizen, and we sci fi nerds have already been waiting a long time for a space game that ticks all the boxes so while many still complain they are still happy to wait at the same time, the alpha of SC is more than enough to keep some players happy while the rest wait until everthing is ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    It is honestly beyond me how people can care so little about how their hard earned money is being treated by potential scammers...
    Does a scam give you a good playable game with equal or more content to do than fully released games because thats what star citizen does now, anyone who says this is a scam at this point is just not being honest at all and they have no credibility for anything they say, space game fans want this game badly, ED is just a dissapointment for a space game and star citizen is the only one that is offering a full experience as best as it can.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Does a scam give you a good playable game with equal or more content to do than fully released games because thats what star citizen does now
    It actually doesn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    It actually doesn't...
    Hell, Minecraft Alpha/Beta gave you more content than Star Citizen and that only costs you $15 one time.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

From the very start CR said it would be ready when its ready and he would not release something he was not happy about, the game was changed into an MMO and a single player campaign so they are making 2 games, they also had to build a company up from nothing so development time wise they are doing well considering the game they are making.

Its CRs game he can develop it any way he wants, waiting longer for a more complete game is far better than getting something that is missing too much.
    A long time liar and grifter is being honest this time. I swear.

Does a scam give you a good playable game with equal or more content to do than fully released games because thats what star citizen does now.
    Name me a similar type of game, with an even vaguely comparable amount of resources spent on it's development, that offers LESS content in it's release state than SC has available right now. Just one single game. This should be good.

For fuck sakes, ENTIRE MMO's have started development, finished development, released a product, re-tooled their entire product after launch, and then released multiple full-fledged expansions in less time than SC has taken to produce a barely functional alpha test.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It wasn't even going to be an MMO to start off with, so how does that factor into what you were waiting for? Did you back some random single-player space game that was your dream, but then it got changed to an MMO and your dream changed with it?
    That would be me. I wanted to play another Wing Commander/Freelancer game and SC promised to be that with some sort of online universe that you can play a bit with the cool stuff you got in the story after you finished it.
    Thats what i payed for.

And now it's somehow some online pvp space mmo and no one talks about the singleplayer anymore.

I remember being excited about this game years ago then "i forgot" about it for several years only to check on it from time to time to see what changed.

Yet here we are in 2022 with nothing but an alpha ( beta ? ) build that has a fraction that was promised years ago.

If news is true the game raised over 400 + million dollars yet no release is in sight .I think the developers need a huge reality check, as well as the defenders of this so called game.

The concept of the game is great, but it's rather clear that they overpromised and / or the project is incredibly badly managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Name me a similar type of game, with an even vaguely comparable amount of resources spent on it's development, that offers LESS content in it's release state than SC has available right now. Just one single game. This should be good.

For fuck sakes, ENTIRE MMO's have started development, finished development, released a product, re-tooled their entire product after launch, and then released multiple full-fledged expansions in less time than SC has taken to produce a barely functional alpha test.
    Read Dead Redemption 2 with over 9 years of development to release on PC, spent more on it overall than current star citizen and doesnt really have that much to do in it. A company with thousands of staff cant even release a smooth game in 9 years and you expect a much more complex game to be done faster.

There are no other space games in comparrison, ED doesnt offer more content just more universe with nothing much to do.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2022-02-07 at 03:56 PM.

Read Dead Redemption 2 with over 9 years of development to release on PC, spent more on it overall than current star citizen and doesnt really have that much to do in it. A company with thousands of staff cant even release a smooth game in 9 years and you expect a much more complex game to be done faster.

There are no other space games in comparrison, ED doesnt offer more content just more universe with nothing much to do.
    ....... you must be trolling at this point. Theres not other way you unironically throw these hot takes around as facts.

Yeah...it is...Buuuuut he's telling us how he's going to develop it and then failing at doing it. Missing milestone after milestone, changing what's delivered, and after this long still having absolutely no idea how long it actually takes to do something.

That's the issue.

Chris Roberts and CIG are the boy who cried wolf at this point.

Link for context...in case there's anyone who doesn't understand the reference.

Read Dead Redemption 2 with over 9 years of development to release on PC, spent more on it overall than current star citizen and doesnt really have that much to do in it.
    Eight years to ship that game actually, and the rumored budget including marketing ranges from $350-550M. Which when you factor in the outside non-crowdfunding investment Roberts has found, places the high end of the budget around where SC is at now.

Again: RDR2 is shipped and that included a massive marketing budget.

This is a terrible comparison for CIG.

A company with thousands of staff cant even release a smooth game in 9 years and you expect a much more complex game to be done faster.
    Thousands of people were not working on the game full time. Many of the support studios only did piecemeal work - i.e. creating some art assets - or worked part time on the game once it was ready for them (i.e. outsourced QA teams).

I know this is a convenient piece of fiction for SC, but remember that much like how CIG had to staff up over years that game development more broadly works the same way. Small initial teams, staff up as the project moves into production, get help from outside studios along the way.

You brought up RDR2 yourself, but it's a bad comparison that does not portray SC in a positive light.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Eight years to ship that game actually, and the rumored budget including marketing ranges from $350-550M. Which when you factor in the outside non-crowdfunding investment Roberts has found, places the high end of the budget around where SC is at now.

Again: RDR2 is shipped and that included a massive marketing budget.

This is a terrible comparison for CIG.

Thousands of people were not working on the game full time. Many of the support studios only did piecemeal work - i.e. creating some art assets - or worked part time on the game once it was ready for them (i.e. outsourced QA teams).

I know this is a convenient piece of fiction for SC, but remember that much like how CIG had to staff up over years that game development more broadly works the same way. Small initial teams, staff up as the project moves into production, get help from outside studios along the way.

You brought up RDR2 yourself, but it's a bad comparison that does not portray SC in a positive light.
    9 Years to ship it to PC, 8 years to console, the company has thousands of staff to put on whatever project they want i didnt say all those staff were working on it at the same time, having the staff and resources from the beginning makes a large difference.

9 Years to develop a mostly single player game just shows how long a project can take even for a large company and thats for 1 single game, not developing a single player campaign and an MMO at the same time. Development costs and what it takes to run a company are not the same, you cant just say a company has spent 400 million developing a game just because thats what it costs to run the company for 10 years, every company has those costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    ....... you must be trolling at this point. Theres not other way you unironically throw these hot takes around as facts.
    Dont embarass yourself by not even spending 5 minutes looking at some basic information, fact is it took 9 years to launch on PC and cost upwards of 500 million to the company and the game was not a smooth launch on PC.

9 Years to ship it to PC, 8 years to console
    Ship it, yes. SC is years off of that still with no end in sight, doubly so given that CIG just axed projections beyond the next major patch.

the company has thousands of staff to put on whatever project they want i didnt say all those staff were working on it at the same time, having the staff and resources from the beginning makes a large difference.
    No, not if you're not using those staff because they're needed later. That's part of normal project management and planning, you plan around more people working on the game when it's ready for them.

9 Years to develop a mostly single player game
    Except RDO exists, even if it's not supported as well as GTAO.

Development costs and what it takes to run a company are not the same, you cant just say a company has spent 400 million developing a game just because thats what it costs to run the company for 10 years, every company has those costs.
    What other costs do they have? All costs are operational - wages, benefits, rent on offices etc. - those are all development costs. They are not doing big, meaningful marketing spends right now and what little they spend is actively put towards continuing to raise money to fund ongoing development.

Not remotely the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Haytham View Post
    Yet here we are in 2022 with nothing but an alpha ( beta ? ) build that has a fraction that was promised years ago.
    Fans and even CIG will claim it's an alpha. But CR was right when he said 3.0 is basically a live release. Their M.O. is to just trickle patch it with these anaemic patches that cost fans $300,000 a day (or $20 million a quarter). And they will keep that up as long as the money rolls in, constantly selling new things to pay for ideas and features they have already sold to people. The game is so far away from completion it is quite apt when CR calls it early days despite 9 years of development elapsing.

What I find sad is they have spent $500 million so far, and not even produced what they said could be done for $23 million.

You have got to be joking. Out of every possible comparable option you chose Red Dead Redemption 2...... Are you fucking insane? RDR2 has 10x more content in it's story campaign alone than SC has in it's entirety, and the story campaign in RDR2 is only like 1/4 of the shit you can actually do in that game. You are straight up goddamned delusional. Like, this is so far beyond help I have no words to describe it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    You have got to be joking. Out of every possible comparable option you chose Red Dead Redemption 2...... Are you fucking insane? RDR2 has 10x more content in it's story campaign alone than SC has in it's entirety, and the story campaign in RDR2 is only like 1/4 of the shit you can actually do in that game. You are straight up goddamned delusional. Like, this is so far beyond help I have no words to describe it.....
    What are you talking about, the content is in the story and thats it, its the same generic repeatable missions like any other game, kill things, gather stuff, deliver stuff, having lots of the same generic missions is not the same as having content. I bought the ultimate edition on ps4 as soon as it came out and didnt get past 24% story becusse its just the same stuff over and over.

What are you talking about, the content is in the story and thats it
    That's not remotely true, especially if you're talking about emergent content from players in RDO, since much of the content in SC discussed is emergent gameplay.

its the same generic repeatable missions like any other game, kill things, gather stuff, deliver stuff, having lots of the same generic missions is not the same as having content.
    This is literally the CIG created content in SC right now. Things like Jumptown are just "kill other players and NPC's" when you boil it down the same way.

I bought the ultimate edition on ps4 as soon as it came out and didnt get past 24% story becusse its just the same stuff over and over.
    So that's a subjective opinion on what you like, not an objective discussion of the content available. Fine if you didn't like it, it's not gonna be for everyone.