Poll: What will Blizzard do with Classic after Wrath?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Cata is when the game stopped being "old WoW" and started being "new WoW". Almost every part of the game got heavily revamped. Most notably 90% of the old-world zones receiving varying degrees of changes. Plus it's near-universally cited as the worst / 2nd worst expansion.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard kept the low-effort gravy train rolling and did a Classic Cataclysm anyways. People can enjoy the heavily homogenized classes, pitifully easy leveling, and woeful lack of raid content. I'll happily enjoy TBC and WOTLK servers.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2022-04-09 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Feel that! MoP had some awesome features and zones and I'd love to play Thunder Isle when it was current and tons of people were there. I came back to MoP after everyone had already moved on to Timeless Isle, which was still awesome, but man Thunder Isle was legit.
    I agree, with you.

If I ever want to come back to play WoW again, it would be classic version MoP (assuming it's a final iteration of classic). I'm in a place where I'm truly tired chasing these baits and constant character resets. I just want to chill and enjoy my games, and that's why Final Fantasy 14 have my full attention when it comes playing MMORPG.

Truly no hard feelings. I wish WoW success, and if they can pull it off, good on them.
    Last edited by neik; 2022-04-09 at 05:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath with Season of Mastery would likely be a bigger draw than reopening servers to the expansion that tanked the heck out of their subscribers the first time around.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Wrath with Season of Mastery would likely be a bigger draw than reopening servers to the expansion that tanked the heck out of their subscribers the first time around.
    you'd be surprised, cata and mop are quite popular in the pserver world.

and I'd be pretty annoyed if we never got classic mop honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    you'd be surprised, cata and mop are quite popular in the pserver world.

and I'd be pretty annoyed if we never got classic mop honestly.
    MoP is a great expansion once you get over the "lol Panda" hangup of some people.

There is nothing good about Casterclysm. It spent most of its development cycle redoing a world people skipped in favour of loading up on heirlooms and dungeonfinding until they hit the expansion content, overhyped the difficulty of its dungeons and offered very little content outside of raids.

MoP is a great expansion once you get over the "lol Panda" hangup of some people.

There is nothing good about Casterclysm. It spent most of its development cycle redoing a world people skipped in favour of loading up on heirlooms and dungeonfinding until they hit the expansion content, overhyped the difficulty of its dungeons and offered very little content outside of raids.
    Aside from the end of DS Cata had great raids imo and great classes. I miss the prime glyph system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Aside from the end of DS Cata had great raids imo and great classes. I miss the prime glyph system.
    T11 was made by someone who suddenly learned interrupts were a thing and shoved them in as many fights as possible with mechanics that were obnoxious for melee.

Firelands was a mess from them trying to fix the problem of 10vs25 imbalance in the first tier. 10 man Bethtilac and 25 man Baleroc were both vastly overtuned to their ten man counterparts. People just remember either how good Heroic Ragnaros was, or got to spend Alysrazor in the air.

T11 was made by someone who suddenly learned interrupts were a thing and shoved them in as many fights as possible with mechanics that were obnoxious for melee.

Firelands was a mess from them trying to fix the problem of 10vs25 imbalance in the first tier. 10 man Bethtilac and 25 man Baleroc were both vastly overtuned to their ten man counterparts. People just remember either how good Heroic Ragnaros was, or got to spend Alysrazor in the air.
    I was a tank in a mediocre guild and loved both those tiers lol.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Not only was Cata dull on the PVE end of things... it also had the biggest downfall of a follow-up to the first epic BG since Vanilla - Wintergrasp.

Tol Barad was a joke and frankly offended me in its stupidity and overall "lameness."

Also, the color scheme. Yuck. Cata is sad - had some wonderfully redone zones, but unfortunately they straight up deleted the old version of them instead of doing the Bronze dragonflight thing with them. They've learned that lesson...

I'm far more interested in returning to MoP. F*ck Cata.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only was Cata dull on the PVE end of things... it also had the biggest downfall of a follow-up to the first epic BG since Vanilla - Wintergrasp.

Tol Barad was a joke and frankly offended me in its stupidity and overall "lameness."
    Tol Barad is the worst attempt they ever did at World PvP at any point in the game's history. Every other mechanic was better, from Silithist and the Plagueland towers to TBCs world objectives and everything that came post WG/TB. It was such a terrible system.

All the Classic things just print money. Even if all they do is sell the first "season" thing that has a mount and a level boost in it and 2-3 months worth of subs from people that buy those things will make it worth it. They also get to use it to augment the insanely slow release cycle of the current WoW dev team. We all hope it gets better, they say it will get better, but we know its been said before and we have been hoping for a long time. Fairly simple to see they will keep releasing these things for a long long time. Not to mention the added value it gives to the WoW "brand" of having up to 10 games available for a single sub.

I get a lot of people don't like classic. I got no desire to play much beyond WotLK besides maybe MoP.. but you got to be blind to see the amount of work they got to put into these things for the amount of cash they get delivered is just insane to fathom they not just printing them out constantly and constantly until they hit one or probably two of them that totally crash and burn. For sure now that the cash shop is going to start appearing and micro transactions start to flow.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tol Barad is the worst attempt they ever did at World PvP at any point in the game's history. Every other mechanic was better, from Silithist and the Plagueland towers to TBCs world objectives and everything that came post WG/TB. It was such a terrible system.
    Right?

I wish we could get a GOOD explanation for Tol Barad after they gave us WG.

You JUST showed us you're more than capable of truly epic battles, the f is this shit?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I wish we could get a GOOD explanation for Tol Barad after they gave us WG.
    Basically, quite a few servers struggled with faction imbalance (sound familiar?), so WG ended up being very one sided there, the Tenacity buff couldn't compensate for everything, even if you were basically a raidboss, CC still worked on you and thus the minority faction lost and struggled to ever gain control of the Keep.

Thus in Cata, they changed the whole thing that only a limited amount of players (like 10-20) could get in and duke it out for the entire server.

WG is extremely reliant on a balanced faction population.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    I think a lot of people see Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath as this "holy trinity" of great expansions. Sure, in hindsight you could say that Wrath introduced a lot of features that would end up making the game worse over the years, but at the time it was the best of the best and when Blizzard's subscriber numbers peaked the highest they ever would.

Cataclysm, on the other hand, ended up being kind of lackluster after the initial novelty of the new and ruined revamped world wore off so I think anyone looking for a Cata Classic has to be in the minority.

However, this is where it gets potentially complicated. MoP was way more popular than Cata and that's something more and more people come to realize as time goes by, even if they didn't like it that much at the time. The same goes for Legion actually, but Legion is preceded by WoD which I don't think most people want to re-experience.

The way I see it, the near future of Classic releases has the following possible outcomes:

1. They will stop at Wrath Classic, completing the "Classic Trilogy" of past expansions.

2. They will release Cata Classic and follow it up with MoP Classic (despite Cata not having as much hype behind it) in order to maintain the chronological order of releases.

3. They will skip Cata Classic and go straight to MoP Classic. (Potentially controversial for anyone who has a soft spot for Cata)

Now maybe I am wrong in this and people actually like Cata a lot, but I just don't hear a lot of people talking about it as much as they talk about MoP or Legion so forgive me if this comes off as super biased. That's not my intention here.
    Cata actually had a fair amount of hype behind it. I remember this site being flooded with Garfield snippets paying homage to Deathwing. I think the problem with Cata was that Blizzard didn't have the balls to stick with the "make it difficult again", people didn't really like the re-designed world and the fact that it was rushed to the point that they skipped a raid tier.

Yes, I'm still salty about the scrapped Vahj'ir raid. That and the horrible final raid design and boss. They had the mad Aspect from WC1 and turned it into you fighting his nails and pimples. It could've been such an epic fight involving all of the dragonflights through multiple stages.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

I think they will do Cata and MOP Classic, skipping Cata would hurt Blizzard's pride, they won't admit they shipped a mediocre product.
    I would be okay with Cata Classic if they added all the cut content back, Abby Maw and War of the Ancients raids would be nice. The Classic team just doesn't seem like they have the resources for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they will go past wotlk for sure. Cata honestly was a pretty damn good raid xp minus the last raid, MoP has great class features so i see both of those for sure getting done.

Also i think at some point blizzard will do their final classic squeeze and allow paid character transfers to retail so people can port over mounts achieves etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Basically, quite a few servers struggled with faction imbalance (sound familiar?), so WG ended up being very one sided there, the Tenacity buff couldn't compensate for everything, even if you were basically a raidboss, CC still worked on you and thus the minority faction lost and struggled to ever gain control of the Keep.

Thus in Cata, they changed the whole thing that only a limited amount of players (like 10-20) could get in and duke it out for the entire server.

WG is extremely reliant on a balanced faction population.
    Reducing the limit from 200 to 80 isn't why TB is so terrible.

It's literally two teams going around in a circle until either they clash and the attackers win, or the timer expires.

There's no reason not to have "fresh" servers that go through the release cycle of every expansion. They'll probably rename it after WOTLK or Cata; but I expect there to be a re-release of every xpac.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don’t think they should add a Classic Cata because that’s when the modern game started. The only reason they should add it was if Azeroth underwent another revamp but I don’t see that happening anytime soon

If I were Blizz, and I'm not, I would join WoW Classic with Dragonblight after they both end.

Imagine something like this: during Dragonblight, Infinite dragonflight returns in later patches, and they start messing with timeline... considering what happened in Icecrown in BfA which led to Shadowlands, and considering importance of Forge of Souls, their main focus is timeline between Wrathgate and Fall of the Lich King, focus more on latter... messing with the timeline, they end up in Classic, where we face off Infinite Dragonflight from both sides: Retail and WoTLK classic (WoTLK classic will get new content patch)... from then on, new expansion comes, classic and retail now make some sort of WoW 2.0... everything what happened on Retail stays relevant (new races, classes, lore development and similar), and for WotLK classic, it is like just new expansion which is not Cataclysm And they can actually reuse Arthas.. something on the lines off: we save him from Infinite Dragonflight, and he joins our cause as leader of the sentient Scourge...

No way anything like that would happen, as there is just to much game features which are different between them, plus other... but just an idea...

OT: they will probably stop at WoTLK, as this is when WoW was at it's peak... from then on, it started deteriorating (with some exceptions), and noone wants to relive half of those expansions