Page 20 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    An overarching theme is that Obi-wan is an idiot in this series based upon how things are written.
    For someone whining about bad writing, it seems like even the 3 or 4 essentially identical scenes of Kenobi trying to keep his head down while obviously just going through the motions weren't enough to communicate to you that he's not the exactly himself anymore.

And people being bad at being incognito isn't exactly a trope that's limited to the Dreaded Disney. How many scenes are there in movies or shows with someone trying to sneak around in an totally-not-suspicious baseball cap, sunglasses, and a hood pulled up over their head...

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    And people being bad at being incognito isn't exactly a trope that's limited to the Dreaded Disney. How many scenes are there in movies or shows with someone trying to sneak around in an totally-not-suspicious baseball cap, sunglasses, and a hood pulled up over their head...
    We can't all have magical glasses that totally make people think you look nothing like that famous superhero with an identical face and body type

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I think the problem is more that "all Asians look alike" is a racial stereotype that's problematic for historic reasons. Much in the same way that you'd probably be careful with statements like "I saw a bunch of African Americans lazing around on their porch" even though it might well be a description of an actual situation - some statements just carry a lot of baggage.
    He didn't say "all asians look alike". He confused one asian-descent actor with another. Our meta knowledge of their exact heritage and nationality doesn't imply it's a stereotype working there.

Also, what's a stereotype in a country doesn't mean it's a stereotype in another. Coming from a country with almost no black people the last 120 years (minus the last 20, when more and more appeared in the major cities) and having a white actor playing Othello with dark makeup, doesn't mean he's "blackfacing", because we never had that.

It's like saying Spanish people are racists, because their word for the color black is "negro".
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2022-05-29 at 11:08 AM.
    /spit@Blizzard

15+ Year Old Account
    The mouse just keeps on milking this bonedry franchise huh? Bad guys comically bad at their job, good guys lack any sort of consistent direction, the acting is pretty bad too. Can't see it lasting for more than a few seasons as is.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why the Grand Inquisitor has a fat round face.

His Rebels counterpart was thin as a skeleton.

But the actor in OWK in real life is really athletic with a slim face. Even has dimples.
    /spit@Blizzard

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Got around to watching it last night.

3rd sister is great really reminds me of of old republic generically evil sith, not deep by any means but a joy to watch.

Leia was just super obnoxious all the way through and her add pressuring obiwan to find her really rubbed me the wrong when when he could just hire bounty hunters or use his own men.

Obiwan him self is amazing his clear PTSD is acted wonderfully and him never actually using his saber and just blasting people really put into perspective how much he’s reluctant to go back to the Jedi ways.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    If Disney was going for the angry black woman stereotype with Reva, they're succeeding.
    Kind of the problem I realize. They have her acting as that angry black woman stereotype in a universe where no such stereotype should exist. If they are anything like me, the viewers watching only think of real life examples of said stereotypes of black woman puffing out their chests to seem threatening... the end goal being they she doesn't seem at all intimating, and the immersion is ruined.... Not as much as that chase scene ruined it though.

But I will say she seems to be the only one who got the memo about their MO. She threatens to kill a single guy and her coworkers, who are also working for the bad guys and are in the dark side of the force club seem to react like she's suddenly taking things to far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Only one episode in, and that chase through the forest was painful to watch.
    I can't wait to see your followup to this post after the second episode.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2022-05-29 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Kind of the problem I realize. They have her acting as that angry black woman stereotype in a universe where no such stereotype should exist. If they are anything like me, the viewers watching only think of real life examples of said stereotypes of black woman puffing out their chests to seem threatening... the end goal being they she doesn't seem at all intimating, and the immersion is ruined.... Not as much as that chase scene ruined it though.

But I will say she seems to be the only one who got the memo about their MO. She threatens to kill a single guy and her coworkers, who are also working for the bad guys and are in the dark side of the force club seem to react like she's suddenly taking things to far.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't wait to see your followup to this post after the second episode.
    or.. they didn't intend it as a stereotype and the usual twitter/tumblr police decides to read stuff that isn't there? I love how this topic went from the show to "omg muh razism!" I really hope we can move on from this b/s one day and just enjoy shows for what they are.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    or.. they didn't intend it as a stereotype and the usual twitter/tumblr police decides to read stuff that isn't there? I love how this topic went from the show to "omg muh razism!" I really hope we can move on from this b/s one day and just enjoy shows for what they are.
    Honestly they are absolutely going with the a stereotype it’s just that it’s generic short tempered power hungry Sith one not any thing to do with real life races.

If the exact same character was a alien or white dude no one would bat an eye.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Well, that explains a lot...what an asshole! In contrast Hayden Christensen binged Clone Wars & Rebels..
    https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/ob...rs-1234717899/

Obi-Wan Kenobi's Grand Inquisitor speaks!

https://ew.com/tv/obi-wan-kenobi-gra...end-interview/
    By Dalton Ross - May 19, 2022 at 12:30 PM EDT

Did you go back and watch any of Star Wars Rebels to sort of see your character in animated form or did you just want to kind of take it fresh with the live action?

I really wanted to honor the character as I saw him, and so I almost deliberately did not see the animated interpretation. Myself and [director] Deb Chow and [writer] Dave Filoni and all of the guys really wanted to do something fresh that honored and was faithful to the spirit of the character without doing a kind of impression of anybody else's interpretation.
    So, the Actor, the Director, and the Head Writer all sat down together and decided it would be better for him to do a fresh take on the character rather than be chained into playing him the same as depicted in Rebels...and that makes him an "asshole"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Well, apples to oranges. Ahsoka has been trained as a Jedi and as a military official (given the jedi status in the Clone Wars), serves under Anakin and beside many important Jedis.

Leia is just Force sensitive with a strong affinity, given her parentage.
    And people often underestimate children...especially those they perceive as being "spoiled little princesses". She knows the terrain better than they do and was using her small size to her advantage. I think the episodes have done a pretty good job at showing that she is particularly intelligent and perceptive for a child of her age.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Kind of the problem I realize. They have her acting as that angry black woman stereotype in a universe where no such stereotype should exist.
    Seems more like the "angry sith woman" stereotype to me...and, given the process that turns jedi into the "sisters", she's got plenty of reason to angry. And an entire code based on using that anger to gain more power.

Well, they are more the "henchmen mook" type. They were given orders to capture the jedi so he could be "interrogated" (read: tortured and broken). She went straight into "kill mode". The Empire is also still trying to present the Jedi as terrorists...so acting like one isn't great for "hearts and minds"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Honestly they are absolutely going with the a stereotype it’s just that it’s generic short tempered power hungry Sith one not any thing to do with real life races.

If the exact same character was a alien or white dude no one would bat an eye.
    It might not be that they are going for that stereotype - but the actress was told to act a certain way and all she could do is to be herself while pissed off. She is a walking stereotype and it's just bleeding thru.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It might not be that they are going for that stereotype - but the actress was told to act a certain way and all she could do is to be herself while pissed off. She is a walking stereotype and it's just bleeding thru.
    I haven't seen this actor in any thing else does she actually have a body of work varied enough to tell if she's just being herself while pissed off?

because to me The only functional difference in this case seems to be that if she wasn't a black woman people would likely say she's hitting the generic old republic esc Sith perfectly instead of saying she's an angry black woman stereotype.

yea.. personal prejudice is showing quite abit. Don't forget to post it on reddit to show how woke you are!

To be serious about this.. an actor still has their own ways/mannerisms (or is that sexist nowadays?). People really need to stop trying to see stuff that isn't there without absolute proof that it's there.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen this actor in any thing else does she actually have a body of work varied enough to tell if she's just being herself while pissed off?

because to me The only functional difference in this case seems to be that if she wasn't a black woman people would likely say she's hitting the generic old republic esc Sith perfectly instead of saying she's an angry black woman stereotype.
    If she wasn't a black woman she wouldn't be able to play the stereotype authentically and she wouldn't even try.

She does play the generic Sith perfectly well in general. It seems she's just acting too much, over acting? Trying too hard at keeping it real and it just bleeds thru.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    yea.. personal prejudice is showing quite abit. Don't forget to post it on reddit to show how woke you are!

To be serious about this.. an actor still has their own ways/mannerisms (or is that sexist nowadays?). People really need to stop trying to see stuff that isn't there without absolute proof that it's there.
    There's no such thing as absolute proof. Even the person admitting to doing it is not absolute proof. Quit being a Sith about proof.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

It seems she's just acting too much, over acting? Trying too hard at keeping it real and it just bleeds thru.
    That's the main complaint for me, too. It's just way too ham-fisted, stilted, and cringe. We all know Sith range from sadistic puppet master to outright psychotic maniac, but that doesn't mean you have to make them into a corny mockery when playing Sith.

Brooding on a rooftop, Batman-style? With the pose and the look and everything? Come on.

Oh, and: I really really really hope the Third Sister plotline doesn't just devolve into her being angry at Obi-Wan for not saving her/the younglings at the Jedi Temple massacre. "You made me into this!" and all that. Even worse if it's followed by redemption and recognizing the error of such ways.

Vomit.

7+ Year Old Account
    If she wasn't a black woman she wouldn't be able to play the stereotype authentically and she wouldn't even try.

She does play the generic Sith perfectly well in general. It seems she's just acting too much, over acting? Trying too hard at keeping it real and it just bleeds thru
    You think that if she wasn't black if they had gotten a white guy or an alien they would drop the short tempered glory hungry architype? Because that's all her being the "angry black woman" stereotype comes down to, there is nothing unique with her portrayal it's something any other actor could do and something you see all the time in old republic media.

You think that if she wasn't black if they had gotten a white guy or an alien they would drop the short tempered glory hungry architype?
    IDK how the production process works, but isn't it usually writing first, then casting? Or are you saying they wrote it specifically for a black woman?

If the Third Sister story is going where I fear it's going, it wouldn't really matter who they cast - it'd be angry-child-seeking-revenge anyway, a common trope that has little to do with skin color.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    IDK how the production process works, but isn't it usually writing first, then casting? Or are you saying they wrote it specifically for a black woman?

If the Third Sister story is going where I fear it's going, it wouldn't really matter who they cast - it'd be angry-child-seeking-revenge anyway, a common trope that has little to do with skin color.
    I've already said I feel like it hits the generic old republic esc Sith and no one would care if it was a white guy or an alien, So obviously I don't think it was written specifically for a black woman.

Elim said if she wasn't black they wouldn't even try to authentically hit that stereotype so then the obvious question must be would the writing be different if she wasn't back or would it still be the same and just be generic old republic sith.

the obvious question must be would the writing be different if she wasn't back
    So if you don't think they wrote it going in as "we need a black woman for this", then do you think they wrote one thing, ended up casting a black woman, and then went "we gotta rewrite this for angry black girl, stat"?

Might just be a confluence of things here, rather than intent.