Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    If radioactivity on Azeroth works the same way it does on Earth, then no, probably not. Of course, Azeroth also has magic, and it's hard to say what could be accomplished with magic in terms of combating radioactive contamination and/or removing fallout. Perhaps Dalaran could find a way to teleport contaminated materials to another location, perhaps to Azeroth's sun, safely incinerating them and removing the vast majority of Gnomeregan's radioactive materials.
    It's doubtful it totally works like it does in real-life when it's shown under the form of green gas and that irridiated gnomes and creatures become green and that it strengthen Troggs instead of doing anything harmful to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    It's doubtful it totally works like it does in real-life when it's shown under the form of green gas and that irridiated gnomes and creatures become green and that it strengthen Troggs instead of doing anything harmful to them.
    I always assumed the green gas or mist was just WoW's way of depicting ionizing radiation's radioluminescent qualities, and the radioactive material used in Gnomeragan was comparable to the fissile materials we're used to, basically the Azerothian equivalent of plutonium or uranium. As for the Troggs, it makes sense a normally deleterious material to more organic life would rather enhance them, since Troggs are themselves errors in an organic life-matrix, and further genetic "damage" to them would be more comparable to net benefit, basically taking a bad thing and making it worse. It's also likely a callback to traditional "big bug" science fiction where radiation mutates creatures as opposed to simply killing them, and Troggs are already mutants to start with.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

What are the ways you can imagine, for the Gnomes to decontaminate their capital Gnomeregan of the radiations caused by Thermaplugg's bomb, as well as to decontaminate and heal their irradiated kin (the Le Leper Gnomes) and other irradiated creatures ?

This/these mean(s) must really feel like something Gnomes would invent.
    Well i would suggest volcanic corehounds, those love eating gnomes.
    We're decontaminating it from gnomes, right?

But realistically? You usually just wash that shitaway with loads of water, and as a side-effect the troggs
    would drown.

So you open up the trogg-stores they once breached again, open up a portal to the abyssal maw or something and let that shit sort itself out.

Also we'd get a new(er) Gnomeregan dungeon which consists of fighting off incursions of irradiated undead troggs with old god tentacles and shit, also naga suffering similar fates and irradiated water elementals.
    First you beat back the incursion into restored Gnomeregan, then you dive into the now-drowned trogg stores.
    And finally you end up sending an apology letter to Neptulon for befouling his waters.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I always assumed the green gas or mist was just WoW's way of depicting ionizing radiation's radioluminescent qualities, and the radioactive material used in Gnomeragan was comparable to the fissile materials we're used to, basically the Azerothian equivalent of plutonium or uranium. As for the Troggs, it makes sense a normally deleterious material to more organic life would rather enhance them, since Troggs are themselves errors in an organic life-matrix, and further genetic "damage" to them would be more comparable to net benefit, basically taking a bad thing and making it worse. It's also likely a callback to traditional "big bug" science fiction where radiation mutates creatures as opposed to simply killing them, and Troggs are already mutants to start with.
    For the Troggs maybe, but still you can't say the same thing about the Gnomes that survived and mutated into green and mad versions of themselves.

As for the decontimination itself, I imagine that Gnomes would use a chemical or alchemical product of their invention that neutralize radioactivity and that would they spray and spread all over Gnomeregan to take out most of the radiations.
    For the rest I had the idea that they would use special mushrooms that they modified and bred, that literally eat and turn radioactivity into another substance or in energy.

The idea was given to me after reading about mushrooms in Tchernobyl that not only survived the radioactivity here but even feed partially on it, with scientists studying them and seeing them as a potential key for future space travel against cosmic radiations.

It's already clean. Blizzard just hasn't bothered to address it, so it's stuck in a past incarnation until Chromie or whateverthefuck bothers to 'update' it to the current timeline. Like most of the world.

For the Troggs maybe, but still you can't say the same thing about the Gnomes that survived and mutated into green and mad versions of themselves.

As for the decontimination itself, I imagine that Gnomes would use a chemical or alchemical product of their invention that neutralize radioactivity and that would they spray and spread all over Gnomeregan to take out most of the radiations.
    For the rest I had the idea that they would use special mushrooms that they modified and bred, that literally eat and turn radioactivity into another substance or in energy.

The idea was given to me after reading about mushrooms in Tchernobyl that not only survived the radioactivity here but even feed partially on it, with scientists studying them and seeing them as a potential key for future space travel against cosmic radiations.
    Wolves in Chernobyl grow to absurd size, mostly due to lacking human competition for food but as shorter-lived creatures radioactivity is simply not that big of an issue for them as it is for us.

Who cares if radioactivity will kill you if you've got 25 years at best after all?
    It's not unthinkable humans (and thus humanoids?) might adopt swifter lifecycles in such circumstances, we certainly have the hardware for it. The world's youngest mother was 5 years old, ignoring any moral discussions there was no need for radiation for her to mutate such an extraordinary ability, imagine what a swiftened lifecycle could turn gnomes into: More feral, short-lived creatures, losing some of the finer details but gaining a bestial sort of adaptation and still remaining gnome.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    We only see them using sprays and machines.
    Scrubbing like that implies that it's actually radioactive material. Similar to chernobyl. Luckily, for Gnomeregan, it's subterranean, so it's no really leaking all over the surface. But yeah like someone else said, water is the answer. You treat radioactive particles just like dust. Clean all the surfaces and contain the water after use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Who cares if radioactivity will kill you if you've got 25 years at best after all?
    It's not unthinkable humans (and thus humanoids?) might adopt swifter lifecycles in such circumstances, we certainly have the hardware for it. The world's youngest mother was 5 years old, ignoring any moral discussions there was no need for radiation for her to mutate such an extraordinary ability, imagine what a swiftened lifecycle could turn gnomes into: More feral, short-lived creatures, losing some of the finer details but gaining a bestial sort of adaptation and still remaining gnome.
    Great, now we'll have radioactive feral gnomes emerging from the dark of Gnomeregan any day now.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

There also possibly some potential for work with the Dark Iron Dwarves, to try to invent magic runes that could absord radioactivity. I have always imagined that Dark Irons created runes that absorbed fumes and toxic gases produced by volcanic activity to protect Ironforge and Shadowforge from intoxication.

Simple. You send in Prince Arthas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Scrubbing like that implies that it's actually radioactive material. Similar to chernobyl. Luckily, for Gnomeregan, it's subterranean, so it's no really leaking all over the surface. But yeah like someone else said, water is the answer. You treat radioactive particles just like dust. Clean all the surfaces and contain the water after use.
    Well, we know from the event when it was updated that it is indeed radioactive materials and that the lower levels are more dangerous than the upper ones, where the Gnome players start their adventure.

Problem is, in lore, Gnomeregan is vast and even worse to cleanse than Undercity.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Reverse engineered Titan tech to build a mini Halls of Origination machine.

Nothing can go wrong!

Great, now we'll have radioactive feral gnomes emerging from the dark of Gnomeregan any day now.
    Might i advise you to invest in core hounds?
    Ragnaros' own stock, fit for any gnome!

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, we know from the event when it was updated that it is indeed radioactive materials and that the lower levels are more dangerous than the upper ones, where the Gnome players start their adventure.

Problem is, in lore, Gnomeregan is vast and even worse to cleanse than Undercity.
    Well Gnomes do have the intelligence and the imagination to find solutions to these problems. If they could build a tram over the vast distance between Stormwind and Ironforge, and such a huge city in the first place they can find something to remedy this.

And they have robots to help them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Wolves in Chernobyl grow to absurd size, mostly due to lacking human competition for food but as shorter-lived creatures radioactivity is simply not that big of an issue for them as it is for us.

I do care, and I'm surely not the only one.

I think that it's absurd to not take the best and most numerous precautions possible to reduce the risks and better the chances of people who go into hazardous and risky adventures and missions.

And in-universe Gelbin Mekkatorque certainely wants the same for his people, he wants to preserve them as much as possible.

Well Gnomes do have the intelligence and the imagination to find solutions to these problems. If they could build a tram over the vast distance between Stormwind and Ironforge, and such a huge city in the first place they can find something to remedy this.

And they have robots to help them.

- - - Updated - - -

I do care, and I'm surely not the only one.

I think that it's absurd to not take the best and most numerous precautions possible to reduce the risks and better the chances of people who go into hazardous and risky adventures and missions.

And in-universe Gelbin Mekkatorque certainely wants the same for his people, he wants to preserve them as much as possible.
    Not only robots, but im sure gnomes and mechagnomes are friednly enough. You would think the entirely mechanical brethren would help out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Not only robots, but im sure gnomes and mechagnomes are friednly enough. You would think the entirely mechanical brethren would help out.
    In story, I could easily imagine the Mechagnomes assisting in fixing up Gnomeregan.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Maybe Draenei could help, if there are cosmic radiations in the Great Dark Beyond then dimensional ships must be equipped to withstand them when they travel, using some kind of magic or technology or both.

And they were supposed to deal with the radiations caused by the crash of the Exodar on Azuremyst Isles' inhabitants and wildlife.
    Last edited by Terrorthatflapsinthenight; 2022-08-29 at 09:01 PM.

Maybe Draenei could help, if there are cosmic radiations in the Great Dark Beyond then dimensional ships must be equipped to withstand them when they travel, using some kind of magic or technology or both.

And they were supposed to deal with the radiations caused by the crash of the Exodar on Azuremyst Isles' inhabitants and wildlife.
    I think Dimensional ships travel by warping in the Nether, not through the Great Dark. They can move in the Great Dark but that's probably secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think Dimensional ships travel by warping in the Nether, not through the Great Dark. They can move in the Great Dark but that's probably secondary.
    It may result in the same in terms of cosmic radiations, and if my memory is correct the Nether is full of chaotic and dangerous magics meaning dimensional ships need very strong protection against them.