Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    I am more certain China seeks to add Russia as their new province. That doesn't have to mean annexation, but simply having Russia as such a pariah that China is their only hope. Which means Russia gets ripped off on everything they ever would try to sell again. And China would love nothing more but to get near-free resources.
    I mean, one doesn't outrule the other, simply because they could own Russia, doesn't mean they can't still sell them weapons and shit as well as have them cause a ruckus with Nato.

It's not like Russia would have other options anyway if the west sanctions the shit out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I'm afraid you are the one that doesn't understand this thing right now. The way to make sure russia never does this again is not to reconcile with them, but to so utterly break the russian spirit and country that they can't try it again even if they wanted to.
    Please tell me how you do that without invading Russia and eating nuclear fire under the one circumstance where its justified?

And before you say 'sanctions and political isolation', ask yourself when was the last time a nation broke under sanctions and chose to become a happy peace abiding productive member of the international community?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Please tell me how you do that without invading Russia and eating nuclear fire under the one circumstance where its justified?

And before you say 'sanctions and political isolation', ask yourself when was the last time a nation broke under sanctions and chose to become a happy peace abiding productive member of the international community?
    The goal is not to make them happy and peace loving. The goal is to punish them, and deservedly so. If they want to become happy and peace loving, it's up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post

I'd get banned if I elaborated.

So, I just lost my sleep...

I don't live in the US, so can you guys help me find some peace?

These articles are telling the truth, or are they just making this sh-- to get clicks?

"Nuclear 'Armageddon' at highest risk since 1962, Biden says; Russia blames NATO for rhetoric: Live updates"
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/8194683001/

"Biden warns world would face ‘Armageddon’ if Putin uses a tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine"
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...pon-in-ukraine

I'm shaking rn, is this really happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post

These articles are telling the truth, or are they just making this sh-- to get clicks?

"Nuclear 'Armageddon' at highest risk since 1962, Biden says; Russia blames NATO for rhetoric: Live updates"

"Biden warns world would face ‘Armageddon’ if Putin uses a tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine"

It's true that Biden basically said "fuck around and find out." The odds of Putin actually fucking around instead of just trying to sound tough are extremely low.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    It's true that Biden basically said "fuck around and find out." The odds of Putin actually fucking around instead of just trying to sound tough are extremely low.
    Yeah, I hope it's just buzzwords, I never feared nuclear warfare in my whole life, but suddenly this scary thought squeezed in.

Seeing how poorly Russia is doing in Ukraine, I wonder if they're considering a nuclear strike to turn the tide and get away with it like when they got away with annexing Crimea.

OPEC's news yesterday also is very concerning.

"In Rebuke to West, OPEC and Russia Aim to Raise Oil Prices With Big Supply Cut"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/05/b...il-output.html

It feels like we're heading into WWIII, maybe I'm just anxious/paranoid, but I'm starting to see many similarities with this old movie from the Cold War era.

Last edited by Luck4; 2022-10-07 at 04:30 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

Can you like pls tone down the Yuppie and engage in logical thinking? If you didn't sleep due to this, then you are becoming hysterical, and that's very unhealthy.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

My recommendation for people who are unable to handle global events and happenings: focus on your job and personal life. Better leave the big events for people who can handle them.

It's healthier for you that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Seeing how poorly Russia is doing in Ukraine, I wonder if they're considering a nuclear strike to turn the tide and get away with it like when they got away with annexing Crimea.
    If there's one thing that would absolutely guarantee Russia would not get away with it, it's using a nuclear weapon. And Putin knows it. He got away with Crimea largely because the international response was one of apathy; there's no universe in which he accomplishes that by provoking global outrage.

Only if you're dealing with oil, stocks, or futures. Otherwise it's annoying (because it will directly lead to higher gas prices) but largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

It feels like we're heading into WWIII, maybe I'm just anxious/paranoid, but I'm starting to see many similarities with this old movie from the Cold War era.
    Your problem is that you're comparing reality to a Cold War-era movie. I recommend you don't do that.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2022-10-07 at 06:21 AM.

Russia is delusional if it thinks the curb stomping it would get would justify the title of ww3. No one would sign up to fight on its side against NATO and the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    My recommendation for people who are unable to handle global events and happenings: focus on your job and personal life. Better leave the big events for people who can handle them.

It's healthier for you that way.
    Seeing the comments on this thread, I'd say that most people can't handle those kind of events.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Pretty much, but all everyone seems to hear or want to hear is: "we shouldn't punish russia", when that's not what I'm saying, at all.
    So... lots of things to unravel there.

The whole idea that the reparations caused Germany to start WW2 is probably not as hot as it's cooked. That little recession in '28, with the global financial crisis and mass unemployment globally? That did more damage to Germany than reparations ever did. But of course reparations can be used nicely as propaganda. So that's a fair point. *This is why you occupy Russia*. First of all, Russia would never agree to reparations or anything like that. In their twisted understanding (at least by the fairy tale Putin tells them), they are justified and defending Russia in everything they do. Why the hell would they (in their own fucked up logic) need to pay reparations? Second, there's still the case of 1.6 million abducted Ukrainians. Fuck reparations, the West is all too happy to rebuild Ukraine. The problem is the citizens that you can't get back.

I'm half convinced that someone needs to go into Russia and retrieve them by force if necessary. Which basically means you need to go into Moscow and dismantle the bureaucracy to find out where they are. Russia is big.

Third and most important: In any sort of negotiations, Russia has nothing to give that doesn't already rightfully belong to Ukraine. You are essentially suggesting to negotiate with a burgler about him please not breaking and entering your house again, and you promise you won't slap him as hard anymore while he's still in your house, with your possessions in his bag, half of your stuff already in his van.

What kind of strategy is that? The correct move is to shoot that motherfucker in the face. He made his choice when he invaded, now Russia is getting a world class education in consequences.

All in all, the longer you think about it, the more sense it makes for the world to just delete Russia, occupy them for 50 years and forcibly re-shape their culture. And yes, a dark part of me is thinking "Shoot everyone who doesn't comply." right now. But I'm not in charge, so I'm allowed to have dark thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    You don't even need that, just keep attrition going on the Russians for their soviet stocks.

They're squandering a materials inheritance from the soviet union that they're in no position to actually replace themselves, it will take the Russian military decades to rebuild itself, if it even can in any relevant time frame.
    You're not reading him. You have to occupy Russia. You need to break their will. You won't achieve that by sanctions. Look at NK. Sanctions are the norm for them, it's just how life is. There are entire generations in NK that aren't missing luxuries, because they don't know what those are.

Russia will only harden and eventually get a serious man with actual military skills in charge and then they'll start a whole new campaign of violence that we may not be able to contain as easily. This is what people need to understand, to change Russia dramaticaly, it either comes from the inside (Navalny) and satisfies the world community that Russia has really changed, or you need to go in and fuck 'em up. For realsies. Moscow needs to be a pile of rubble before you even explain to them why you're there.

- - - Updated - - -

@Spectral You need to explain to Biden that tactical nuclear weaposn are not that bad and shouldn't trigger MAD. Explain to him the difference between tactical and strategic nukes, I'm sure that'll make him change his mind! :P
    Last edited by Slant; 2022-10-07 at 08:23 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

It could be. Putin is fucking around.

However, doom is not certain. I like the solution Mark Esper, formed SecDef outlined on CNN: as soon as they notice a nuke rolled out of storage, Uncle Sam goes and locks down Ukraine's airspace and blasts anything approaching from Russia. Of course, this only works against a presumed single warning nuke, not full-scale nuclear war, but at that point I hope there are people around Putin that prefer not living in an expanse of glass.

Yeah, I hope it's just buzzwords, I never feared nuclear warfare in my whole life, but suddenly this scary thought squeezed in.

"In Rebuke to West, OPEC and Russia Aim to Raise Oil Prices With Big Supply Cut"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/05/b...il-output.html

Russia gains nothing by using nukes.

NATO will engage in the war actively. China and India will move from their "sorta neutral" status to outspoken critics of Russia, and that's just the beginning.

So in a world where Russia seeks self preservation, Putin seeks to be a great historical leader, playing the nuclear weapon card will result in the complete opposite.

The only real risk of it happening, is Russia seriously miscalculating the western response to a nuclear strike. I'm sure Putin would not give in to nuclear threats or a strike, and neither would the west.

As others have said, if you're becoming anxius about it, focus on the circle of influence concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    The only real risk of it happening, is Russia seriously miscalculating the western response to a nuclear strike. I'm sure Putin would not give in to nuclear threats or a strike, and neither would the west.
    Which is why America is regularly reminding Russia what the response would be, to not give them the idea that they could get away with it.

And yes if following what is going on is giving people anxiety then learn to drop it and walk away. Just ignore the news for a while. The world will keep going without you reading about it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-63166525

Memorial - one of the joint Nobel Peace Prize winners - is one of Russia's oldest human rights groups.

Its liquidation last year by Russia's judiciary was yet another sign of the walls closing in on the country's civil society, ahead of the Kremlin's decision to invade Ukraine.

Dating back to the late 1980s, Memorial's work focused on the terror of Josef Stalin's dictatorship and more generally under the Soviet era. For decades it helped uncover the reality of Soviet repression and the many rights abuses committed ever since.

But under the rule of Vladimir Putin, who saw the fall of communism of one of the great catastrophes of the 20th Century, Memorial became a nuisance in highlighting the crimes of a past he wanted to extol.

That's why prosecutors accused Memorial of distorting historical memory, rather than its true role in helping millions of families whose lives were traumatised by the Stalin era.

Awarding the prize to Memorial this year is not unlike the decision to honour liberal Russian newspaper editor Dmitry Muratov in 2021. His newspaper no longer exists in Russia, but is not dead yet. However much Putin wants Memorial to disappear, it too will not go away.
    As well as Ales Bialiatski from Belarus and one organization from Ukraine.
    Not a real Nobel prize per se but a worthy winner nonetheless.

Edit: Russia repeat its demand of insight in the Swedish part of the investigation around the sabotage of the Nord Stream pipelines.
    Less than a week after being told "Fuck off, we dont usually invite other countries to take part in our criminal investigations".
    Last edited by Bakis; 2022-10-07 at 11:01 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

saw the vid of that russian getting shot on the toilet looks like this :

and that other one with the 2 russian soldiers getting intimate before the drone operator drops a munition on them. Drone operator watched what was unfolding for a little too long imo, probably laughing. Off to heaven Laura moon style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-63166525

As well as Ales Bialiatski from Belarus and one organization from Ukraine.
    Not a real Nobel prize per se but a worthy winner nonetheless.

Edit: Russia repeat its demand of insight in the Swedish part of the investigation around the sabotage of the Nord Stream pipelines.
    Less than a week after being told "Fuck off, we dont usually invite other countries to take part in our criminal investigations".
    The war aside, isn't it customary to invite any parties involved to an investigation? I mean when a plane goes down then there's usually the country it went down in, the company and the country the company is based involved, or am I wrong? If not then shouldn't russia or at least Gazprom be involved? (I know the assumption is that russia is the guilty party)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    The war aside, isn't it customary to invite any parties involved to an investigation? I mean when a plane goes down then there's usually the country it went down in, the company and the country the company is based involved, or am I wrong? If not then shouldn't russia or at least Gazprom be involved? (I know the assumption is that russia is the guilty party)
    Just like we do not appoint neo-nazis to act as judges, we do not need Russia with their magical theories of missiles just bouncing off the earth unscathed or similar crackpot theories how Ukraine totally did the things that russians did without a doubt.

Russia has no credibility, no use to harm the investigation or delay it for customary reasons.