Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

How to make no portals acceptable.

In my opinion, the only way to make portals being removed from Dalaran/Shattrath even remotely acceptable, is to fix the taxi system in general.
    Mounts are going to be 310% speed in general, so why are the in game taxis this slow when they fly a path 150 times more convaluted than the worst tour guide ever.
    Make flight paths move around 500% - 750% speed, and stop circling around the departure and arrival points(and any points in between).

In one of the earlier beta builds when paladins were REALLY bugged, you moved at what I would assume to be around 500%. I thought to myself, this is what all flying should be. It was awesome. But, it still got old pretty fast, having to fly from one end of the continent to the other... SUCKS. Which makes the other half of my prerequisites to make removing portals acceptable, is to have at least 1 portal hub per continent near the middle of the continent. (ex. Portals in SW / Theramore / Dalaran / Shattrath that only go to the other hubs, so you still have to fly from one point to another on the continent you're on, but not have to wait for some stupid boat to get to the other continents.)

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I dont think its going to be as bad to navigate the world as everyone thinks it will be, but that being said I think the flight paths getting a speed boost would be a nice idea.

They have actually revised many of the 'taxis' to take more direct routes. Not sure if they're faster or slower than flying there yourself as they still take some detours, but the detours they take aren't as extensive as they once were.

Deleted
    well the "taxi" system was flying in circles because blizz hid unfinished content, they didnt want you to see a hole on the world hidden away behind a cardbord mountain.
    now that they fixed the world for flying mounts the "taxi" systems are flying more in straight lines and less in circles... happy nao?

Deleted
    Removal of portals is a good thing thus acceptable

Correct me if I am wrong but you still have the portal to blasted lands at least for all the alts leveling? Also, get a mage to port you to theramore / stonard.....

I think it will be fine.
    Words are a wonderful form of communication, but they will never replace kisses and punches. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

15+ Year Old Account
    If you slacking so much to even take the flight path, why should it go quicker?

10+ Year Old Account
    i read that the FP's were not going in a straight line because the zone was not totally filled up, but now you can fly everywhere so they fixed it and the FP's will be going in a straight line

edit: got beaten to it xD

I have to agree with you on this one. The FPs are way too slow and the unnecessary circling around the arrival point is very annoying. One of the most annoying spots where this circling occurs is flying from Dal (or any other flight path) to Argent Tournament grounds. For some reason you fly right above the destination point and then swoop in a big circle for no reason.

They removed the portals so that people would not just hang out in dalaran. The reason that FP take the strangest routes is because a lot of vanilla WoW is unfinished and not meant to be seen from the air. There are a lot of unfinished textures and zones in the games that are only meant to be seen from the ground.
    That being said, an increase in FP speed would be awesome. I myself rarely use the FP from IF to SW because the deeprun tram is much faster.

what does it matter anyway? u will lvl to 85 and never ever again leave stormwind/orgrimmar.

Deleted
    They have redone all th FPs' rutes so they are now faster than before. It should be a lot faster to travel with FPs now than before. Not sure it will be faster than a 310 mount but still.

Quote Originally Posted by molodirazz View Post
    well the "taxi" system was flying in circles because blizz hid unfinished content, they didnt want you to see a hole on the world hidden away behind a cardbord mountain.
    now that they fixed the world for flying mounts the "taxi" systems are flying more in straight lines and less in circles... happy nao?
    Except there are no "cardboard mountains" being hidden by the "victory lap" around Dalaran and the Argent Tournament Grounds every time you fly into them. Cataclysm flight paths may be a bit better, but these indicate a less than 100% commitment to efficient travel on Blizzard's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Azshalorah View Post
    Also, get a mage to port you to theramore / stonard.....
    All single mages in my guild already have whispers blocked because people asking for portals are so damn annoying.. Now it will be only worse..
    Even today people don\t run/take zeppelin from Org to TB but ask mages instead..

310% mount speed is just a tad slower than the taxi's, however, i'm happy with the taxi speed, i like to go afk whilst sat on a taxi - if wasn't gonna go afk, i'd fly there, 310% + crusader aura + direct route = faster than a taxi.

all the major quest hubs in cata have portals in org/SW and for anywhere else, just hit up a mage for a portal. ok mages are gonna end up pissed, but the need to return to dalaran/shatt past 80 is very minor, as such public transport will see more use

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    In my opinion, removal of portals is a good thing thus acceptable to me.
    There you go Adam, fixed your comment so it made sense. If you want that to be more than your opinion, perhaps make a case for Blizzard changing some of our time able to play to time needed to travel before we can play.

And if that's indeed a good thing, then dungeon finder should go away too. It's a convenience like the portals and has left the world empty of people.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plagued00 View Post
    In my opinion, the only way to make portals being removed from Dalaran/Shattrath even remotely acceptable ~snip~
    Blizzard doesn't pander to your personal whims, wants or definition of what is or isn't "acceptable". Blizzard obviously feels that the Dalaran and Shattrath portals are contrary to their designs for Cataclysm and they have been removed as a result of that decision. Whether or not you find this acceptable is beside the point.

The taxi system still outpaces 310% fliers. Current world travel isn't as bad, or dramatic, as everyone seems to make it sound. The worst travel distance in game is around ~11:35 minutes from tip to tip on a content. The only people who have travel bad in this game are those characters too low level to ride mounts, fly, etc. If you're 60+ in Cataclysm you'll have little right to complain about travel at all unless you've completely squandered all of the plethora of gold that questing pours into your pockets and thus prevented yourself from affording flying training and mount(s).

You also have to keep in mind that the flight points in Cataclysm != the flight points now. They are in better positions, there are more of them and they are more likely to get you closer to your final destination than at present.

..all without your QQ.

Honestly, some people are so afraid of change they'll whine at just about anything. Stop crying over irrelevant bs.

But, Stormwind and Org will be the portal hubs instead, so what's the big deal?

Blizzard should add "Portal Scroll 'Race City" to inscription profession.

At the most extreme case that would require exalted reputation with corresponding race, but only for the recipe NOT the item!

Either way, blacksmithing made keys should have their restriction (profession itself and soulbound trait) removed!

Quote Originally Posted by LQDMTL View Post
    You also have to keep in mind that the flight points in Cataclysm != the flight points now. They are in better positions, there are more of them and they are more likely to get you closer to your final destination than at present.
    you have a good point there, theres hundreds of new flight points in cata, i think elwynn forest has got at least 3 new flight points if not more.