Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

PTR/Beta/4.0.1/Cata Resto Spec

Hi, All.

I went back 5 pages and haven't really seen a Resto druid spec discussion for 4.0.1+ and on in to Cataclysm. Fiddling with the talent calculater, there really aren't a whole lot of useless talents (coming from a PvE perspective) so most points will be used up in the Resto tree.

I do not claim to be pro at Resto healing! Hell, I just hit 80 a week ago!

Here's the spec I'm thinking of: 3/2/36

Restoration
    Tier 1:
    Blessing of the Grove (2/2) - 4% healing to Rejuvenation
    - I don't see Rejuv going away as a regular heal so may as well buff it a bit.

Natural Shapeshifter (0/2) - Reduces mana cost of shapshifting by 10%/20%.
    - With the change to Tree of Life, this doesn't really seem like a useful talent that is only used 1/6 of the time at best (30 secs every 3 mins).
    - This is a prereq for for Master Shapeshifter, though.

Naturalist (2/2) - Reduces the cast time of Healing Touch and Nourish by 0.5 seconds.
    - With the slower Nourish, this is pretty much a requirement.

Heart of the Wild (3/3) - Increases Intellect by 6%.
    - Could be swapped for Natural/Master Shapeshifter talents if you don't have mana issues.

Tier 2:
    Perseverance (0/2) - Reduces all spell damage taken by 2%/4%/6%.
    - PvP talent, mainly. Does nothing for healing.

Master Shapeshifter (0/1) - Tree of Life/Caster Form - Increases healing by 4%.
    - Nice talent but you have to use 2 talent points for the prerequisite talent (Natural Shapeshifter) to get it.
    - This with Natural Shapeshifter could be swapped for Heart of the Wild if you have mana issues.

Improved Rejuvenation (3/3) - Increases the effect of your Rejuvenation and Swiftmend spells by 15%.
    - Nice increase to two often used heals.

Tier 3:
    Living Seed (3/3) - When you critically heal a target with Swiftmend, Regrowth, Nourish or Healing Touch spell you plant a Living Seed on the target for [10%/20%/30%] of the amount healed. The Living Seed will bloom when the target is next attacked. Lasts 15 sec.
    - Good for tank healing.
    - Prerequisite for Efflorescence.

Revitalize (3/3) - When you periodically heal with your Rejuvenation or Lifebloom spells, you have a [8%/16%/24%] chance to instantly regenerate 3% of your total mana. This effect cannot occur more than once every 6 sec.
    In addition, you also grant Replenishment when you cast or refresh Lifebloom. Replenishment - Grants up to 10 party or raid members mana regeneration equal to 1% of the maximum mana per 10 sec. Lasts for 15 sec.
    - Mana regen. With the way healing is going to be, this seems very necessary.
    - Replenishment is a nice bonus.

Nature's Swiftness (1/1) - When activated, your next Nature spell with a base casting time less than 10 sec. becomes an instant cast spell.
    - Very handy to cast with Healing Touch for a quick, big heal.

Fury of Stormrage (2/2) - Reduces the mana cost of your Wrath spell by [50%/100%], and when you deal damage with your Wrath spell you have a [15%/30%] chance to cause your next Starfire to be instant cast within 8 sec.
    - Not a Resto-y talent but it is a prerequisite for Malfurion's Gift.

Tier 4:
    Nature's Bounty (3/3) - Increases the critical effect chance of your Regrowth spell by [20%/40%/60%], and you have a [33%/66%/100%] chance when you critically heal with Healing Touch and Nourish to reduce the remaining cooldown of your Swiftmend spell by 0.5 sec.
    - 60% crit to Regrowth? Yes, please.
    - Reducing the cooldown for Swiftmend (and Efflorescence) is very nice.

Empowered Touch (2/2) - Increases the healing done by your Healing Touch and Nourish spells by [5%/10%], and your Nourish spell has a [50%/100%] chance to refresh the duration of your Lifebloom on targets.
    - Bonus healing to the bigger heals. Nourish being our main heal so buff it!
    - Refresh Lifebloom. Keep that Lifebloom rolling on the tank.

Mafurion's Gift (2/2) - Whenever you heal with your Lifebloom spell, you have a [3%/6%] chance to cause Omen of Clarity.
    - Clearcasting proc. Nice for popping off the occasional Regrowth.
    - The percentage may not seem high but add in Tree of Life and Lifeblooms on multiple targets and you can have chain clearcasts for 30+ seconds! Regrowth spam for all. They'll be instant, too, due to ToL.

Tier 5:
    Efflorescence (3/3) - When you critically heal with your Regrowth spell you also sprout a bed of healing flora underneath the target, healing all nearby friendly targets within 8 yards for [20%/40%/60%] of the amount healed by your Regrowth over 7 sec.
    - Another nice AoE HoT centered on the target of the Swiftmend.
    - Big, green glowing circle of healing with no limit to people healed (as far as I know). Let's just hope dps is smart enough to move into it. >.<

Wild Growth (1/1) - Heals up to 5 friendly party or raid members within 15 yards of the target for 2866.15 over 7 sec. Prioritizes healing most injured party members. The amount healed is applied quickly at first, and slows down as the Wild Growth reaches its full duration.
    - Our main AoE heal.
    - 6 targets when glyphed.
    - Tree of Life : Affects an additional 2 targets.

Nature's Cure (0/1) - Empowers your Remove Corruption spell to also remove a magic effect from a friendly target.
    - Another thing we can remove! Unsure how necessary this is. Was thinking of swapping out a talent point from Furor to get this.

Nature's Ward (0/2) - Whenever you take an attack while at or below 50% health, you have a [50%/100%] chance to automatically cast Rejuvenation on yourself with no mana cost.
    - Seems like a PvP talent to me. Does nothing to add to healing.

Tier 6:
    Gift of the Earthmother (3/3) - Increases the healing done when your Lifebloom expires by [5%/10%/15%], and causes your Rejuvenation spell to also instantly heal for [5%/10%/15%] of the total periodic effect.
    - Nice healing buff when you let Lifebloom drop off.
    - Upfront heal when applying Rejuvenation seems very nice to me.

Swift Rejuvenation (2/2) - Reduces the global cooldown of your Rejuvenation by [0.25/0.5] sec.
    - Nice for spamming Rejuvenation on your group during AoE damage.

Tier 7:
    Tree of Life (1/1) - Shapeshift into tree of life, increasing healing done by 15% and increasing your armor by 120%. In addition, some of your spells are temporarly enhanced while shapeshifted. Lasts 30 sec.
    - Enhanced spells: Lifebloom, Wild Growth, Regrowth, Entangling Roots, Thorns, Wrath
    - Lifebloom: Can be cast on multiple targets.
    - Wild Growth: Adds 2 more targets.
    - Regrowth: Instant cast.
    - Entangling Roots: Instant cast, damage increased 200%.
    - Thorns: (Not sure here! Can't find the info. :P)
    - Wrath: Cast time reduced by 50%, Damage increased by 30%.
    - Nice cooldown for bosses and tough groups.

Balance
    Tier 1:
    Nature's Grace (0/3) - You gain [5%/10%/15%] spell haste after you cast Moonfire or Insect Swarm, lasting 15 sec. This effect has a 1 minute cooldown.
    - I thought about this. Toss out a Moonfire once in a while for a decent haste buff.
    - May not always have time to use this talent on hard fights where you're just spamming heals.

Nature's Majesty (2/2) - Increases the critical strike chance with spells by [2%/4%].
    - Extra crit is good for pretty much everything we do.

Feral
    Tier 1:
    Furor (3/3) - Grants you a [33%/66%/100%] chance to gain 10 Rage when you shapeshift into Bear Form, allows you to keep up to [33/66/100] of your Energy when you shapeshift into Cat Form, and increases your maximum mana by [5%/10%/15%].
    - 15% more mana is always nice!
    - Swap a point out for Nature's Cure.

So, there you have some information and a little insight as to why I picked these talents. Please feel free to discuss and change my mind, here! That's the whole point of this thread, afterall. I want to be the most useful spec I can for the expansion.

---------- Post added 2010-10-06 at 11:48 AM ----------

My glyph choices.

Glyphs:
    Prime:
    Lifebloom
    Rejuvenation
    Swiftmend

Major:
    Healing Touch
    Innervate
    Wild Growth

Minor:
    Unburdened Rebirth
    Wild

15+ Year Old Account
    Blessing of the Grove offers 4% increased healing for Rejuvenation , while Master Shapeshifter (follow up on Natural Shapeshifter) offers 4% increased healing on all healing spells for just one more talent point.

Nature's Cure will be essentiel for dungeons and raids (since all healers can remove magic now). Yes, the other healers can do it aswell, but what if the magic debuff is directed to them making you the only one able to dispell the magic debuff?

Suggestion:
    2 points from Blessing of the Grove (0/2) into Natural Shapeshifter (2/2).
    2 points from Swift Rejuvenation (0/2) or Nature's Majesty (0/2) into Master Shapeshifter (1/1) and Nature's Cure (1/1).

I am still not sure about what is best. 4% critt chance vs. 1 sec GCD on Rejuvenation. Since Rejuvenation will most likely be casted less times, I don't think the GCD reduction is needed, and critt chance now works on all of our healing spells, so that's definitly more valueable in Cataclysm. So I think I will choose the 4% critt chance, but it depends on how often Rejuvenation is cast.

As of current talent build I would use: Restoration Druid 2/3/36
    Last edited by iLive; 2010-10-06 at 07:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    Blessing of the Grove offers 4% increased healing for Rejuvenation (2 talent points needed), while Master Shapeshifter (follow up on Natural Shapeshifter) offers 4% increased healing on all healing spells (3 talent points needed). I prefer 4% on all spells for one more point.
    I was thinking of something along those lines, I just hate to pretty much waste the 2 points on Natural Shapeshifter. :P Good thought on the 4% to all for 1 more point.

Nature's Cure will be essentiel for dungeons and raids (since all healers can remove magic now). Yes, the other healers can do it aswell, but what if the magic debuff is directed to them making you the only one able to dispell the magic debuff?
    True enough. That's why I was hesitant to skip it.

Suggestion:
    2 points from Blessing of the Grove (0/2) into Natural Shapeshifter (2/2)
    2 points from Swift Rejuvenation(0/2) or Nature's Majesty (0/2) into Master Shapeshifter (1/1) and Nature's Cure (1/1).

I am still not sure about what is best. 4% critt chance vs. 1 sec GCD on Rejuvenation. Since Rejuvenation will most likely be casted less times, I don't think the GCD reduction is needed, and critt chance now works on all of our healing spells, so that's definitly more valueable.

As of current patch I would use: Restoration Druid 2/3/36
    I admit, I haven't tried healing on beta, yet. I plan to tonight in instances. However, from the vids I've watched, it looks like Rejuv is being tossed around a lot so I was thinking the lower cooldown would be nice for the intense times. With crit going way down, I figured the 4% crit from Nature's Mastery would be nice and almost essential.

Thanks!

patch 4.01 spec http://wowtal.com/#k=qj-bUHSg.a2y.druid

is probably the spec i'll be using. or something similar. i might not spec into ToL for any level 80 raiding, but i'll definitely take it at level 85.

I also picked up all of the talents that buff rejuv that i might not take at level 85 (blessing of the grove, i wont be taking at 85 most likely). That is to account for the aura/raid damage that we see in ICC.

I saw some math on furor saying that it is one of the best regen talents we have with the addition of replenishment so i'll be taking that come 85, but for now i can't fit it into a build. I'd also rather have 4% static crit rating over 15% (3.75% average) haste for 25% of the time assuming i can time my casts perfectly.

*edit* just realized that the spec i linked required level 82. see ya ToL

my probable level 85 spec
    http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#0hbZc...uoGo:oVcoVbmzc
    Last edited by Cerelli; 2010-10-06 at 07:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, without seeing how some of the talents work out while raiding, it can be tough to figure out a good raid spec, even with much less in the way of talents. There are definitely some variants to be worked out!

For level 80, I'd have to see how my mana is to see what I'd need to save for last. Perhaps Furor and Heart of the Wild could wait or if they'd be needed to drop say, Nature's Mastery, Swift Rejuv and Tree of Life or even a point from another talent. Time will tell. Suppose I could hop on the PTR and see with today's instances/raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    resto PVE:
    http://wowtal.com/#k=gjfGwVKB.a2y.druid

Resto pvp lvl 80, with glyph setup:
    http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#0fZZr...zR0o:RcVrsam0z

now, realize at lvl 80 i have zero mana problems, so my talent tree optimizes damage. not mana gained. at 85, it'll be about increasing mana pool and not wasting my mana spamming dots.

you will never want to skip heart of the wild since spellpower is calculated directly from intellect. you get 3 bonuses from int, so it is definitely a stat that you will want all that you can get. crit, SP, and mana pool/regen.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far for 80 my spec is Cerellis. Not 100% sure about ToL at 80 yet.

As for 85, I'm not sure yet. After the Furion/Stormrage nurf I'll probably be passing on those. The small chance isn't worth the points. If RJ is useful, I won't be picking NG and grabbing NS/BotG. If RJ isn't useful, I'll take NG.

I haven't really been testing anything fully yet, but I'm not sure about 15% haste for 15 seconds every minute. Once I have some time I'll be able to look into it more.

At 85 my PvE builds will come down to:

2/3/36 MS Build - http://wowtal.com/#k=Rq6zTMgu.a2y.druid

The extra 15% mana from Furor also gives ~2k more mana from Innervate (based off an 80k mana pool before the talent). So ~12k mana base, plus 2k every 3 min from innervate. You also get the 4% healing from Master Shapeshifter.

2/3/36 MG Build - http://wowtal.com/#k=R-l_2-aK.a2y.druid

The Malfurion's Gift build doesn't seem to great. 4 points for 4% chance on OOC? Although that could also be written as 4% chance for 2-6k mana, which I would need to do some math for. I realize that this would be amazing during tree form... but 4 points to primarily benefit a 3 min CD that lasts 3 seconds? Like I said, I'll need numbers lol

As for glyphs: http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#0cVbVoc0z

Still can't decide... they both have their +s and -s. I do still see Swift Rejuvenation being good since Rejuv won't be going away. Couldn't hurt if they put Lifebloom on it as well though...

One thing I'd like to point out:

Heart of the Wild (3/3) - Increases Intellect by 6%.
    - Could be swapped for Natural/Master Shapeshifter talents if you don't have mana issues.
    Int is also spell power... so it's not just about mana.
    Last edited by axio; 2010-10-07 at 04:48 PM.

Is 2 points in Swift Rejuvenation necessary at level 80? 1 point in Swift Rejuvenation reduces the haste cap for Rejuv by A LOT. With current level 80 haste on gear, you will be well over the haste cap for Rejuv with just 1 point in Swift Rejuvenation. (This even takes into account the loss of Gift of the Earthmother. Though I didn't consider how changes in raid buffs (shaman/paladin/balance druid sources of passive haste) will affect these caps.)
    Last edited by Dendrek; 2010-10-07 at 05:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axio View Post
    Plus the -9% mana cost adds up extremely quick on spells that cost 2k to 6k mana.
    Furor is slightly better than Moonglow (according to EJ), since we also have a chance to restore mana upon heal from Lifebloom and Rejuvenation.

Basically the same as the previous build but you get 4% healing all around instead of just 4% healing on Rejuv. This comes at the cost of Nature's Cure (being able to dispell magic). Honestly if you do a lot of 10 mans you will probably need Nature's Cure, but in a 25 man you may be able to get by without it since other classes can do it.
    It shouldn't come at cost of Nature's Cure. It's essentiel during dungeons and some raid encounters. Trust me, you will be in need of removing magic debuffs. Giving the cure to the same healer will definitly make him/her go OOM fast.

The Malfurion's Gift build doesn't seem to great. 4 points for 4% chance on OOC? Although that could also be written as 4% chance for 2-6k mana, which I would need to do some math for. I realize that this would be amazing during tree form... but 4 points to primarily benefit a 3 min CD that lasts 3 seconds? Like I said, I'll need numbers lol
    4% chance every second (tick of Lifebloom), which you probably will maintain forever with Nourish. Those OoC will come very often, and functioning them together with Healing Touch/Regrowth/Tranquility is insane amounts of mana saved. A good RDruid will abuse where mana matters.

Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    Furor is slightly better than Moonglow (according to EJ), since we also have a chance to restore mana upon heal from Lifebloom and Rejuvenation.

It shouldn't come at cost of Nature's Cure. It's essentiel during dungeons and some raid encounters. Trust me, you will be in need of removing magic debuffs. Giving the cure to the same healer will definitly make him/her go OOM fast.

4% chance every second (tick of Lifebloom), which you probably will maintain forever with Nourish. Those OoC will come very often, and functioning them together with Healing Touch/Regrowth/Tranquility is insane amounts of mana saved. A good RDruid will abuse where mana matters.
    I forgot about the 3% from LB/Rejuv. I knew i had left something out lol. As for NC it really depends on the fight as well. i doubt every fight will have a magic debuff... and while useful for heroics (especially until we outgear them) it may not be required for every healer.

the 4% from MG still seems low for having to spend 4 points. Having mana is obviously more throughput than being oom tho... but I'd still like to see some WoLs for it, preferably from a raid invironment.

Kinda hoping they arent done with the resto tree as well. they said they wanted us to have choices, but honestly there's really only 2 main specs... MG and the pure throughput one.

Furor is better even without that. It's simply better than Moonglow for the amount of effective mana it provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Is 2 points in Swift Rejuvenation necessary at level 80? 1 point in Swift Rejuvenation reduces the haste cap for Rejuv by A LOT. With current level 80 haste on gear, you will be well over the haste cap for Rejuv with just 1 point in Swift Rejuvenation. (This even takes into account the loss of Gift of the Earthmother. Though I didn't consider how changes in raid buffs (shaman/paladin/balance druid sources of passive haste) will affect these caps.)
    Remember that we're losing 10% haste from a new GotE. However, the spec I recommend for level 80 would be
    http://wowtal.com/#k=-CNdZOD.a4d.druid

I don't take the increased OoC proc at level 80 because our mana regen at level 80 is laughably high. Definitely get it while leveling, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Furor is better even without that. It's simply better than Moonglow for the amount of effective mana it provides.
    Considering the cost of spells (2k to 6k), -9% would easily add up to the difference in mana you get from Furor, even when adding in Innervate every 3 min. Furor is definitely better when you consider Revitalize though... There's really no argument to that. I updated the post since I originally forgot about Revitalize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Building one from scratch and based on feedback from this forum, I came up with the same build at 80 as Ormula. :P

1 more point in Nature's Mastery, 2 in Fury of Stormrage and 2 in Malfurion's Gift at 85. I guess I'll just have to see if it's worth dropping something to pick up Swift Rejuvenation.

New build: 2/3/36

For some reason, I can't load wowhead from work. No, it's not blocked, it just won't completely load. >.<

Should mention that for Swift Rejuvination:

At level 80, you'll probably get away with the old-style WotLK Rejuv spam if you wanted to.
    At level 85, the talent is intended primarily for a resto druid focusing on raid heals. Am I making this up? No, a blue post said so.

Not everything has to fit into one spec, because you can specialize your healing role a bit towards more tank-oriented healing or for raid healing. Sure, a lot of stuff overlaps, but generally if there's tough choices, it'll come down to whether you're worried about healing the raid or healing a tank.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by axio View Post
    Considering the cost of spells (2k to 6k), -9% would easily add up to the difference in mana you get from Furor, even when adding in Innervate every 3 min. Furor is definitely better when you consider Revitalize though... There's really no argument to that. I updated the post since I originally forgot about Revitalize.
    Do you attempt to back that argument up with numbers or are you making that claim because it seems like it makes sense?

I've already backed my argument up with numbers on a different thread, but I'll provide some here for clarification. Consider the following examples:

Case 1: You have a 20k mana pool, the average cost of a spell is 1k.
    Without either talent and with no sources of mana regeneration, you would be able to cast 20 spells.
    With Moonglow, the spell costs 910 mana. You can cast 22 spells.
    With Furor, you have a mana pool of 23k. You can cast 23 spells.

Case 2: You have a mana pool of 20k, the average cost of a spell is 5k.
    Without either talent and with no source of mana regen, you can cast 4 spells.
    With Moonglow, the spell would cost 4.55k. You can cast 4.4 spells.
    With Furor, you have a mana pool of 23k. You can cast 4.6 spells.

Case 3: You have a mana pool of 80k and the average spell cost is 10k.
    No talents or sources of mana regen, you can cast 8 spells.
    With Moonglow, the spell costs 9.1k mana. You can cast 8.8 spells.
    With Furor, you have a mana pool of 92k. You can cast 9.2 spells.

Conclusion: No matter what numbers you use, the same result will occur. Furor is better even without sources of mana regen.

---------- Post added 2010-10-07 at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ormula View Post
    Remember that we're losing 10% haste from a new GotE. However, the spec I recommend for level 80 would be
    http://wowtal.com/#k=-CNdZOD.a4d.druid

I don't take the increased OoC proc at level 80 because our mana regen at level 80 is laughably high. Definitely get it while leveling, in my opinion.
    I know. I mentioned that in my first post. I think we also lose WoA's 5% haste buff (can someone confirm this? I haven't been keeping up-to-date on the changes to other classes). But I'm still fairly confident that without either we will still be close to - if not over - the haste cap for Rejuv with 1 point in Swift Rejuvenation at level 80. I'll back this up with numbers once I've confirmed the changes to haste that will occur in 4.0.

WoA is staying and also being given to other classes. we are losing 10% haste from GoTM, 3% from moonkin/ret aura, and keeping 5% from new moonkin aura/WoA. if you factor in nature's grace we gain a net 3.75% assuming you can time your dots like clockwork. so if all goes perfectly we will have 8.75% haste from raid buffs/talents.

1 point in swift rejuvenation nets 25% haste. we are losing 13% (16% depending on your spec) in 4.0. so if you are currently haste capped on live you will be haste capped in 4.0 with 1 point in swift rejuv.
    Last edited by Cerelli; 2010-10-07 at 08:37 PM.