Well, there's not a single zone in the game that I dislike. I don't see that changing in 4.0 - and I love the blend of 'realism' and 'fantasy' that FF14 has going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    What? Heavensward areas were incredibly open to a fault.
    They were definitely more open than ARR, yes but they still were very linear, and small and cluttered. The air zone(forget its name as I am not playing the game right now) while large on the map, the land masses were small, VERY NARROW pathways, everything on them were cluttered together like they just threw the shit together real quick and then you never touched the zone again. I cant pinpoint exactly what was wrong with them but I just felt that the zones were still just eh. But yes, definitely more open than ARR but still cluttered, small, and very linear, and felt like you were walking through narrow tunnels with walls on your sides.
    Last edited by Extremities; 2017-06-04 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Oh, you should have seen the arguments that we had in this very thread on this topic.
    I know that's right. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    As for the classes, the summoner changes look neat(Who wouldn't like Bahamut for a temp pet?!), Black mages look neat and their new spells(Hopefully Enochian is less of a pain in the ass), Paladin is looking much better... Question is what the hell do I focus on. Red Mage looks interesting as well. This is always my problem with new expansions... What class do I focus on!! arrrggg
    Enochian is no longer a separate buff, you now have it as long as you have an Astral/Umbral stack, is how I understand it.

15+ Year Old Account
    They were definitely more open than ARR, yes but they still were very linear, and small and cluttered. The air zone(forget its name as I am not playing the game right now) while large on the map, the land masses were small, VERY NARROW pathways, everything on them were cluttered together like they just threw the shit together real quick and then you never touched the zone again. I can pinpoint exactly what was wrong with them but I just felt that the zones were still just eh. But yes, definitely more open than ARR but still cluttered, small, and very linear, and felt like you were walking through narrow tunnels with walls on your sides.
    Maybe when you can't fly, but even then, almost all of the zones for HW feel huge, almost too big half the time. I definitely can't agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Enochian is no longer a separate buff, you now have it as long as you have an Astral/Umbral stack, is how I understand it.
    Yes that's how I am taking it as well. The lvl 70 spell - Foul, sounds awesome but I notice its element neutral so it wont benefit from the fire/ice dmg buffs. I wish we could have seen what the spell graphic looks like though

They were definitely more open than ARR, yes but they still were very linear, and small and cluttered. The air zone(forget its name as I am not playing the game right now) while large on the map, the land masses were small, VERY NARROW pathways, everything on them were cluttered together like they just threw the shit together real quick and then you never touched the zone again. I cant pinpoint exactly what was wrong with them but I just felt that the zones were still just eh. But yes, definitely more open than ARR but still cluttered, small, and very linear, and felt like you were walking through narrow tunnels with walls on your sides.
    The only zone that applies to really is the final zone which is probably the one you're referring to. Western Coerthas, Dravanian Forelands and Hinterlands are all very open... with Churning Mists being 50/50. I don't really know what you expect from a zone unless you want it almost completely empty such as Tanaris in WoW.

I think one thing that makes zones feel smaller is the fact that the map and minimap are drawn in such a way as to accentuate the walkable areas, while non-walkable areas are often devoid of detail. Thus it kinda breaks the illusion of big open spaces.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2017-06-04 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Lot of unsavory people in low level dungeons at the moment. I'm leveling my WHM to 50 before SB so I can help my friend with his SAM and... yeah. I got told by a new leaf DPS that it's okay for him to pull tons of mobs ahead and not wait for the tank. I get they're not hard but when a freaking healer tells you to stop that (me) then you should listen. I'd rather DPS and make the run faster than heal your squishy BLM ass. They're lucky that I'm a nice person and heal them through their stupidity. On top of this I'm doing more DPS than them with the little moments I can DPS...
    This game is flooded with bad players and it ain't necessarily the new folks coming in that are the issue.
    Last edited by G3istly; 2017-06-04 at 06:58 AM.

Being able to fly turns everything into a wide open space. Only the Forelands feels different because of the large area inside the cave. I went back and did the B-Rank Hunt cheevs for ARR the other day, just for grins. That felt cramped and restricted, having to plod around between spawn points on foot and twist and turn through all the paths on the map instead of just flying straight from point to point to look.

I can't say I've had many issues with the game's community beyond a few bad apples. I feel like you get out of FFXIV what you put into it - most of my duties go reasonably smoothly and without incident. Sometimes people are quiet, others times they're chattier. I mean, heck, I signed up for my daily trial today expecting something simple and got stuck with Nidhogg. A load of new players, people messing up - it took us 30 minutes and multiple wipes but slowly and surely I taught them the fight. It was pretty satisfying and is precisely why I decided to become a mentor.

Running POTD 30 times a week, I meet a lot of mediocre players. They're not bad, they're not good, they help get through things, if not the fastest and easiest clears. Sometimes I run into incompetent derps, sometimes I run into good players who know how to run and play their job well. Usually the mediocre and good outweigh the bad. Rarely I get multiple bads that make a run slow and/or painful to do. But that's the exception, not the norm.

10+ Year Old Account
    i got kicked from a group for not wanting to explore every room today lol

fuck me for trying to make the most of my time leveling up and prepping for stormblood right? dickheads. i think they got like 1 extra aether. their dumb asses could have ran a whole 'nother 9 floors and picked up aether in the time they wasted opening every single chest Q__Q

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Some people play rpgs for the power trip and gratification. Think of dungeon runs. For every player thinking 'a party moves as fast as its slowest member' theres some bunny hopping dickhead spamming "GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGGO"
    Well, I don't spam "gogogo" but I do run in front to both guide and semi-force a smooth run.
    I don't pull for the tank or anything but I run ahead to mark stuff etc. What I hate most is a tank that stutter steps towards the mobs.
    UGH just grow a pair and pull fluently.

Oh and depending how I feel I do hop around a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    What I hate most is a tank that stutter steps towards the mobs.
    UGH just grow a pair and pull fluently.
    And as a melee I stutter step just after him...end up 1 step closer to boss sometimes...pull...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post

fuck me for trying to make the most of my time leveling up and prepping for stormblood right? dickheads. i think they got like 1 extra aether. their dumb asses could have ran a whole 'nother 9 floors and picked up aether in the time they wasted opening every single chest Q__Q
    POTD is a tricky one - everyone is going in with different expectations. I have recently been doing it to get Aetherpool levels up so I will have an easy time running it to level RDM in early access. Problem is there is no way of telling how many Aetherpool chests will be on a level without exploring. I compromised with a lot of my groups and poked my head in to rooms and didn't bother if there wasn't an Aetherpool chest and it didn't end up taking us much longer.

If you constantly run through and never pick up Aetherpool though, you end up in floors 81+ with some people who still have 30 or less arm/armor and get one shot which also makes the runs take a lot longer.

It is probably a good idea to state goals for the run as you zone in and agree together what you want to achieve from it.

All that said, I don't think they should have kicked you for it. I have had plenty of people AFK in the Cairn of Passage while I explored a little bit and didn't mind.

All this talk about shitters everywhere in DF...yet I never run into them somehow. That said, I tend to run with FC folks as much as I can, but there are times when they are not on, and yet I still don't run into situations where everyone's just god awful. Closest thing I've seen to that was a sprout BLM in AV a few days ago, but it was the dude's first time, and at least he listened to the explanations I gave for the bosses and didn't die to mechanics (unlike the healer who decided to run by the second boss as it did it's home run swing and sent him face first into the dirt).

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

While kicking someone for it is a bit much, you can't expect a speedrun from every matched party in PotD, that's what fixed parties are for. Now, I do get where you're coming from, I run with matched parties myself and want to get through the floors ASAP, but when someone insists on checking every room, I just roll with it.

After all, helping them check those rooms is still better than standing in the teleporting circle waiting as they check the rooms, that's just plain slower.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I was leveling up my last two jobs (BLM/WAR), I was at 99/99 and almost every group wanted to skip bronze chests BUT they expected me to help them to reach silver chests.

Felt so annoying, "We won't help you, but you better help us."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    While I was leveling up my last two jobs (BLM/WAR), I was at 99/99 and almost every group wanted to skip bronze chests BUT they expected me to help them to reach silver chests.

Felt so annoying, "We won't help you, but you better help us."
    The difference here though is that you still reach your goal, just a little more slowly. If every group they are in expects them to skip silver chests then they are missing out on what might be their only reason for running it. In that case it is 'You are helping me anyway but I am going to make sure you get no benefit from this'.

I can totally see both points of view and have felt the frustration of being in slow groups before but if you are running in DF then you don't know what you will get. It is easy enough now to throw up a PF group and explicitly state your goal so you all go in with the same mindset. I believe that there are also Discord servers for finding POTD groups.