Finished the MSQ and i honestly cannot remember an mmo patch that ever squeezed so much character development in one patch. Kind of forgot it was an mmo at points. Dungeon was a bit to easy and short but that was a pretty good story update compared to some of the HW ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'm not trying to over simplify the issue, I'm aware it's not just plug and play. Just saying that the process is straight forward. It's not some super complex technical issue that they have to work through and figure out how to make work before they can implement. Implementation of anything in a working system requires verification etc... but they know what to do and how to do it. That's all I'm saying.
    Ah gotcha. Issue is how many people think it's plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Although it could well be that, at this point, people just don't really care about them anymore. They've not heralded in an apocalypse of terrible max leveled players that has made any group content "literally impossible" like the nay-sayers claimed and have proven themselves to be relatively benign. Let's face it, it's a symptomn of a larger issue - That leveling secondary jobs up can feel very much like a chore, and it doesn't get any better the more of them you level.
    Oh, people care, but they remain only a vocal minority who SE knows by and large won't have the courage of their conviction and unsub as a result of this. The Bottom Line shows they'll make more off the Jump Potions than lose off the demographic leaving over such things. Or to put it another way, money talks and bullshit walks.

My views remain the same. However you get to cap, if you want to play well, you'll learn. If you don't, no amount of hoops to jump through will change that. And if you are just that concerned about 'teh badz' in your DF queue, the answer is the same as it's always been: get a static.

I noticed absolutely no tangible difference in my experience with groups in Stormblood since launch of the potions than my experience in Heavensward. Good people will learn to play, bad people won't...jump potions won't affect that. You may just find a player who's still learning, but that's a totally different thing that a bad player.

I cannot believe Bangaa made it into FFXIV before Viera.

I also can't believe Bangaa are back in a mainline numbered Final Fantasy after 11 years stuck in mobile spin off hell.

10+ Year Old Account

Turns out, Shinryu was actually big, winged worm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/q7K1h0y.png[IMG]

Turns out, Shinryu was actually big, winged worm.
    Well... I mean... if you think it is, it is so?

I don't know wtf the translators are doing cause there's a lot of typos that I saw in recent posts like their prelim patch notes.

Man the second boss of the raid is Titan HM circa 2.0 all overagain. God damn.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Might just have to wait with how many they are sending.

- - - Updated - - -

Cerberus was 10-15 mins. No joke.

Luckily a crap ton of old ones opened up and I snagged a small goblet.
    I managed to snag a nice small plot in Lavender Beds during the chaos so I'm pretty happy about that at least

So anyone else try the raid today? Holy hell these fights are pubstompers. They're super fun and honestly easy but yet to get past number three because of how hard the mechanics dumpster people. Every group but two I've been in just end up vote abandoning on the first boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Finished the MSQ and i honestly cannot remember an mmo patch that ever squeezed so much character development in one patch. Kind of forgot it was an mmo at points. Dungeon was a bit to easy and short but that was a pretty good story update compared to some of the HW ones.
    I agree. The MSQ in 4.1 is probably among the best when it comes to the patches. Love the nostalgic parts too with certain old characters playing a part again. Dungeon was easy which is expected but I think its one of the prettiest dungeons in the game.

The beast tribe stuff story didn't really interest me but then again outside of Vanu and Vath I didn't really care for any of them. Have yet to do Shinryu Extreme and the 24 man outside of just the quests to unlock them as I'm waiting for friends to get on.

Deleted
    Hah new story! Didn't get 310 for I realized doing weekly expert for efficiency fit me best but no matter what - let's help Lyse-swan 8]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Not sure how you try to insinuate it's something to do with Playstation... considering that's the client. The client doesn't handle anything of this sort.
    The server is the one that handles this. It's insanely easier on the hardware to have only instantiate instances when needed instead of having persistent zones. Because of this, hardware requirement gets incrementally more expensive for every single ward added. It may sound easy to you, but it is not in anyway easy.
    Because PS3 limitations was a meme/joke, when the NA servers had their update before SB it was revealed that many of the things that we blamed on PS3 support/limitations were really NA server limitations, at least according to square.

I was not being serious, perhaps I should have /s'd after the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'm pretty ambivalent towards the situation honestly. On one hand I find the relatively low supply aggravating, but on the other I feel like that's a huge reason why it's so popular and relatively prestigious. That said, my FC has a large plot in Mist and I spend most of my housing time there and own an apartment in Lavender Beds that I decorated and then never visited again. I keep it for the cheap teleport and because I have quite a few things in there I don't want to store..so../shrug. I hope to eventually own a home, but am not going to be sad if I never get to, it's more of a cool thing to have than any game changing thing for me.
    I am with you 100%, I was actually thinking about it heavily last night. As much as I would love for every player to have a house, and every FC to have a house... the limited supply is what makes it mean anything.

I used to be much more elitist especially when it came down to raiding, I never felt that all content was for everyone.... but comparing raiding to housing is not ideal.

One of the biggest things I miss about early Cata (might be opening a can of worms with this one.) was the leveling of my guild, and driving people to work together to unlock guild rewards. Of course overtime a lot of these rewards became meaningless, but the journey and the experience I had with my small crew is what made it for me.

Perhaps my drive to get a FC house is for the same reason, I want to build something with my team. Something that we can see grow and we too can grow from. I guess to counter my own idea that everyone having a FC house would make it lose value, the accomplishments I could show is what will give it value to me. Just as my guild used to be that for me in WoW.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2017-10-11 at 03:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

The story/lore within the content presented in this patch has been stellar.

4.1 MSQ spoilers: The scene in the cell with Fordola and when she (as I expected) used the Echo to see your own memories after you had delved into hers was one of my favorite "oh shit" moments in the entire story. It had a hell of an impact, for I'm certain it's part of why she made her choice to assist in the end, even though I expected that the whole "redemption arc" thing going on, they threw a really interesting twist into it. Expect that we, the PCs, will be the ones who end up helping her on that path, for what she saw in our past definitely made her realize how bad it can really be...and that you can power on.

Arenvald getting some screen time and development was a nice surprise. Here's hoping that continues. Oh, and maybe I was right about Lyse all along...she seems to have started turning the corner and showing a bit of brain/wit. Yes, they made a dumb mistake towards the end of these quests, but she lived and learned from it. She was 100x more palatable in these quests over how she was throughout 4.0.

Unrelated...anyone want to guess who that was in the foreground at the end of that scene in the imperial courtyard or whatever? Also...what the hell happened to Yotsuyu...or should I say, what is she up to?

For those who aren't into crafting/gathering, there's a touching tidbit of info to be gleamed from M'naago when you're doing the new delivery turn ins. When you get your first rank up, she introduces you to a young female soldier, whose name eludes me, but she introduces herself and mentions her father had been killed in the attack on the Reach. Turns out her father was none other than Meffrid.

There's several bits of easter eggs in the text, too, based on what you've done. When you speak to Bartholemew (sp) near the entrance to the Sultana's throne room, the text will reflect whether or not you've done the 61-70 PLD quests. I won't spoil it, but it's a nice touch. Nothing to the degree of being a DRG player in HW, but still. There's another one that is ringing a bell in my mind, but it's not making it home for some reason...grrr.

I haven't completed the 24 man, yet, but I did take the time to read up on the lore of FFT (a game/series I have not played personally), and seeing how they've weaved in elements of it into this game...this is gonna be good.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2017-10-11 at 05:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    anybody figure out that new sightseeing vista in kugane yet? the one thats right in plain sight on a lightpole.....thought it would be easy but can't seem to figure it out

On the note of housing expansions, people covered for sure that it's a money issue through and through. They can do it, and it's even easy for them to do it, but the costs outweigh the gains in the current atmosphere. They already bought some budget ass servers with a budget ass networking partner with some budget ass SLA terms (NTT NOC said to me that 10% and less packet loss is acceptable per their SLA with SE, so I have to take it up with SE, when SE says take it up with ISP/NTT). fun fact - the NTT NOC technician I spoke with actually plays FF14.

On a more positive note, I get to do the 24m raid today. (didn't have time yesterday). Going in blind boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I haven't completed the 24 man, yet, but I did take the time to read up on the lore of FFT (a game/series I have not played personally), and seeing how they've weaved in elements of it into this game...this is gonna be good.
    So uh, FFT is quite possibly one of the greatest games of all time. you genuinely should try to find time to play it, as an FF fan.

Has anyone tried the new command missions? I'm wondering if these are decent ways to level up other jobs, i havn't had a chance to try it out yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    The story/lore within the content presented in this patch has been stellar.

4.1 MSQ spoilers: The scene in the cell with Fordola and when she (as I expected) used the Echo to see your own memories after you had delved into hers was one of my favorite "oh shit" moments in the entire story. It had a hell of an impact, for I'm certain it's part of why she made her choice to assist in the end, even though I expected that the whole "redemption arc" thing going on, they threw a really interesting twist into it. Expect that we, the PCs, will be the ones who end up helping her on that path, for what she saw in our past definitely made her realize how bad it can really be...and that you can power on.

Arenvald getting some screen time and development was a nice surprise. Here's hoping that continues. Oh, and maybe I was right about Lyse all along...she seems to have started turning the corner and showing a bit of brain/wit. Yes, they made a dumb mistake towards the end of these quests, but she lived and learned from it. She was 100x more palatable in these quests over how she was throughout 4.0.

Unrelated...anyone want to guess who that was in the foreground at the end of that scene in the imperial courtyard or whatever? Also...what the hell happened to Yotsuyu...or should I say, what is she up to?

For those who aren't into crafting/gathering, there's a touching tidbit of info to be gleamed from M'naago when you're doing the new delivery turn ins. When you get your first rank up, she introduces you to a young female soldier, whose name eludes me, but she introduces herself and mentions her father had been killed in the attack on the Reach. Turns out her father was none other than Meffrid.

There's several bits of easter eggs in the text, too, based on what you've done. When you speak to Bartholemew (sp) near the entrance to the Sultana's throne room, the text will reflect whether or not you've done the 61-70 PLD quests. I won't spoil it, but it's a nice touch. Nothing to the degree of being a DRG player in HW, but still. There's another one that is ringing a bell in my mind, but it's not making it home for some reason...grrr.

Its getting real hard not to think of Arenvald as an npc based on the infamous number of 'starks' that replaced all the kiritos in the last year or two. The 'up nerth' english manc'/south brummy accent doesn't help. But i liked Fordolas stuff. The devs kept teasing there was a bunch of 6 inspired characters in SB and most assumed Zenos was Kefka and Gaius would come back as the general Leo archetype but now i think the 'general leo' of 14 is Fordola instead.
    But mentioning that figure i do think its possible that its Gaius. Remember the rule of jrpgs: if you never see the body they arent dead. He was a 'might make right' leader that made him an enemy but his primary goal after reaching eorzea was crushing the primals because he believed they were the greatest threat to Garlemald.
    Now the new emperor is changing the empire from Imperial Dynasty to Facist dictatorship and this 'new empire' seems far more likely to use and abuse the primals which as we saw with the Allagans doesnt end well in the longrun. i could imagine seeing the events at the end of the Praetorium has basically done for him what the dragonsong war did for estinien. He saw the ascians revealed for what they are and remember they are STILL trying to influence the empire as well as pulling a Jafar on the beast tribes. He saw the light of hydaeline both combating the primals AND the Ultima Weapon and most importantly saw his empire could not deal with the forces of a nation almost ruined by calamity so they are clearly not ready for dealing with the Primals like Bahamut or Shinryu. We saw this patch that one summoner could pull out lakshmi in a large council meeting to temper them all. With all the beast tribes native to Garlemald probably being used as slaves like Galka i imagine there has to be someone behind enemy lines ensuring nothing similar happens. All we have been told storywise is Primals can be summoned in Aldenard due to its high Aether levels. But Susanoo was on the other side of the world so its clearly more levels of Aether and belief rather than specifically a regional thing. So clearly there must be the potential for what Gauis has seen occurring in his homeland. We can't be everywhere at once and i can't think of anyone who could have the motivation from a Garlean stand point but Gauis Van Baelsar now free of his charge after the destruction of his legion and his name considered KIA.

But it has been neat to see the characters change, but also how much more stuff they are adding based on what you did in your past. I wonder if the echoe Fordola gets off you is different based on what the player has done like how Alisae treats you slightly different if you did the Binding Coil of Bahamut. I noticed when i started the Ivalice questline there were some comments about the SB Botany Questline about introducing new strains of plants to Idyllshire and the Dravanian Hinterlands and unless you have done it that line would make no sense at all. So maybe its just becoming a more common thing to make it feel less mmo and more final fantasy?

-also i think its looking like typical final fantasy 'i banged my head and had a total brain formatting' job with Yotsuyu. Or she is merely pretending to be retarded.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-10-11 at 02:38 PM.

Its getting real hard not to think of Arenvald as an npc based on the infamous number of 'starks' that replaced all the kiritos in the last year or two. The 'up nerth' english manc'/south brummy accent doesn't help. But i liked Fordolas stuff. The devs kept teasing there was a bunch of 6 inspired characters in SB and most assumed Zenos was Kefka and Gaius would come back as the general Leo archetype but now i think the 'general leo' of 14 is Fordola instead.
    But mentioning that figure i do think its possible that its Gaius. Remember the rule of jrpgs: if you never see the body they arent dead. He was a 'might make right' leader that made him an enemy but his primary goal after reaching eorzea was crushing the primals because he believed they were the greatest threat to Garlemald.
    Now the new emperor is changing the empire from Imperial Dynasty to Facist dictatorship and this 'new empire' seems far more likely to use and abuse the primals which as we saw with the Allagans doesnt end well in the longrun. i could imagine seeing the events at the end of the Praetorium has basically done for him what the dragonsong war did for estinien. He saw the ascians revealed for what they are and remember they are STILL trying to influence the empire as well as pulling a Jafar on the beast tribes. He saw the light of hydaeline both combating the primals AND the Ultima Weapon and most importantly saw his empire could not deal with the forces of a nation almost ruined by calamity so they are clearly not ready for dealing with the Primals like Bahamut or Shinryu. We saw this patch that one summoner could pull out lakshmi in a large council meeting to temper them all. With all the beast tribes native to Garlemald probably being used as slaves like Galka i imagine there has to be someone behind enemy lines ensuring nothing similar happens. All we have been told storywise is Primals can be summoned in Aldenard due to its high Aether levels. But Susanoo was on the other side of the world so its clearly more levels of Aether and belief rather than specifically a regional thing. So clearly there must be the potential for what Gauis has seen occurring in his homeland. We can't be everywhere at once and i can't think of anyone who could have the motivation from a Garlean stand point but Gauis Van Baelsar now free of his charge after the destruction of his legion and his name considered KIA.

But it has been neat to see the characters change, but also how much more stuff they are adding based on what you did in your past. I wonder if the echoe Fordola gets off you is different based on what the player has done like how Alisae treats you slightly different if you did the Binding Coil of Bahamut. I noticed when i started the Ivalice questline there were some comments about the SB Botany Questline about introducing new strains of plants to Idyllshire and the Dravanian Hinterlands and unless you have done it that line would make no sense at all. So maybe its just becoming a more common thing to make it feel less mmo and more final fantasy?

-also i think its looking like typical final fantasy 'i banged my head and had a total brain formatting' job with Yotsuyu. Or she is merely pretending to be retarded.
    Arenvald: I'm from the US, so the accent, while I can tell it's not from here, it doesn't bug me, but it's not something I'm hearing every day, either, so maybe that's a factor. Until he reapppeared in SB, I had forgotten he existed. Kinda weird to basically forget someone who has Echo capabilities, but I sure as shit did.

The Fordola = Leo comparison is reasonable, although it would've had far more weight had Leo been the one to reluctantly use poison against Doma vs. Kefka doing it while Leo's back was turned. Paralleling that sequence in 6 with the events following Castrum Abania in 14, mind you. She could very well die before SB is over, but for right now, I think she serves as a valuable asset to learn more about the Echo and it's influence/impact on others outside of our own character. I wasn't able to discern whether or not different things we've done impact that particular memory cutscene; most all of it looked to be from MSQ stuff. I do wonder, though, if she will question us about Gaius, because she saw him lying there on the ground as one of the first flashbacks. THAT could be an interesting sequence. Could be something that helps her cope with the Echo, which is something I suspect the player character will assist her in coping with, one way or another.

The BTN thing stuck out for me because we had worked with what's-her-name's sister during the HW BTN quests. That was the little quest flavor thing I couldn't recall in my previous post here. Not part of the MSQ, but I 100% for easter eggs like that. Show that we have an influence in the world. It showed later on at the start of the 24 man raid; your reputation precedes you all the way out to 14's equivalent of BFE.

I'm 100% going with Yotsuyu having/doing the latter. Either that, or Gosetsu has a...uh...way of dealing with women.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    On the note of housing expansions, people covered for sure that it's a money issue through and through. They can do it, and it's even easy for them to do it, but the costs outweigh the gains in the current atmosphere. They already bought some budget ass servers with a budget ass networking partner with some budget ass SLA terms (NTT NOC said to me that 10% and less packet loss is acceptable per their SLA with SE, so I have to take it up with SE, when SE says take it up with ISP/NTT). fun fact - the NTT NOC technician I spoke with actually plays FF14.

On a more positive note, I get to do the 24m raid today. (didn't have time yesterday). Going in blind boys!

So uh, FFT is quite possibly one of the greatest games of all time. you genuinely should try to find time to play it, as an FF fan.
    Tell this game to stop being such a time vampire and perhaps I would get around to FFT (not to mention the dozens of games in my Steam library, among others).
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2017-10-11 at 04:10 PM.

Reminder: We have a spoilerific MSQ discussion thread here if you don't want to have to keep spoiler tagging things.