Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Could a World of Starcraft be as popular as World of Warcraft?

Also, if this game was ever made, what would be the factions, and what would be the classes? Also, could this game be as popular as WoW?

Crud, I wanted to make this a poll....

World of Starcraft would be exactly like WoW but with different models.
    Unless they make something brand new out of the ordinary with it.. Wont be more popular than wow.

Men i would kill to play a terran heavy infantry on a thor.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

The warcraft world was much better suited to a typical fantasy rpg setting, hero units in wc3 practically paved the way(and even became inspiration for the classes) Starcraft had a bit of a different dynamic and the units and such don't translate as well into the standard issue mmorpg ideology. That said I'd like to see a starcraft based MMORTS allowing people to create their own faction pick a race and set about in the universe in a EVE-esque sandbox type game.

I would probably play it full time honestly. Assuming that there was things like open space with you being able to have your own ship.

The factions would be Zerg, Terran, and Protos. It'd be great in PVP, Protos can 1-shot Zerg and Terrans can kill Zerg before they get close enough to do damage. Better hope your Zerg guild is really, really, really big to outnumber them.

It would pretty much be WoW, just Starcraft style. The factions would obviously be Terrans (Raynor side), Protoss, and Zerg. Classes would be like Commanders, Vanguard, Templars, etc. And no, it would not be as popular as WoW, it would probably even hurt Blizzard if they did that. WoW and the new project Titan are Blizzard's mmos, Starcraft is Blizzard's RTS (besides Warcraft, which is discontinued for now). Having two of the exact same kind of MMO doesn't exactly pool more omeny. In fact, you would be competing against yourself. So the probability that it would happen is very low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Universe of Starcraft sounds more like what they would call it. If ghost was a class there would be a billion of them lol.
    Aye mate

If only i could roll a zerg and it actually making sense, like it being sentient and all that. Perhaps a Brood Mother or Cerebrates? though im not sure how useful i could be as a big floppy worm that can't move and bound by tentacles to the ground, but atleast i have detection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Universe of Starcraft sounds more like what they would call it. If ghost was a class there would be a billion of them lol.
    Probably be a million Dark Templars too.

The Zerg could be cool though. You could probably play a Queen, Infestor, or some other high end unit. You probably wouldn't be fodder like a Zergling or a Roach. But honestly, if they did this, the Zerg would probably be NPC.

10+ Year Old Account
    enough sci fi games around so i doubt it

Probably not. Sci-fi MMOs don't have a great history of appealing to the extremely broad audiences Blizzard shoot for usually. Also, because of World of Warcraft. WoW is a self perpetuating machine- it is popular because it is popular.

However, I think a Starcraft [or any Blizz MMO to come] would likely be far more successful than many other MMOs. Such as SWTOR, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would pretty much be WoW, just Starcraft style. The factions would obviously be Terrans (Raynor side), Protoss, and Zerg.
    I don't think it would make sense, honestly. Can you even imagine a zerg character doing solo content? It's so...not zerg.

Starcraft doesn't really convert well to MMO gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    never cared for it plus i dont know how the competetive multiplayer that its known for would work in an mmo way

I imagine Zerg to the be the Necromancers of the Starcraft MMORPG universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    It would pretty much be WoW, just Starcraft style. The factions would obviously be Terrans (Raynor side), Protoss, and Zerg. Classes would be like Commanders, Vanguard, Templars, etc. And no, it would not be as popular as WoW, it would probably even hurt Blizzard if they did that. WoW and the new project Titan are Blizzard's mmos, Starcraft is Blizzard's RTS (besides Warcraft, which is discontinued for now). Having two of the exact same kind of MMO doesn't exactly pool more omeny. In fact, you would be competing against yourself. So the probability that it would happen is very low.
    So you're saying that Blizzard is wholly incapable of creating a different type of MMO for Starcraft? You're assuming that they would have to be carbon copies of one another with different skins? Anybody who comes out and makes the assumption that Blizzard would be stupid enough to create the exact same type of MMO that they already have in WoW is spouting off an extremely uninformed opinion. I think Blizzard has the capability of looking at the current MMO market and seeing just how well hotkey based MMOs are faring in the current marketplace. I think they'd also be intelligent enough to realize they'd have to make something fresh.

Deleted
    My opinion might be biased as I personally wouldn't play it. Never been interested in modern or sci-fi MMOs. Same reason I never even tried that star wars MMO even though I otherwise love Bioware. I hope it never happens. It would just draw away too many resources to delay the making of other games or MMOs.

So I doubt it would be popular. Well not as popular as WoW anyway, it might get a few million players initially but if it like WoW, players will quickly abandon it as they haven't invested much in it yet. If it's completely new, new concept, new and good game play, it's hard to say. But to be honest, I doubt any MMO would trump WoWs success before some technological breakthrough happens(virtual reality, holographic technology or something along those lines).

Would rather they decided to pick up Starcraft: Ghost again.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Ghost

I'm not against a starcraft MMO, I just can't fully grasp how it would work? You don't quite has the same "class" across they three races so it's a little harder to balance I think.

Terran you choose between being a marine or ghost or uh medic, i dont know, firebat? Marauder? Reaper?
    Protoss is Zealot, Templar/dark Templar,
    Zerg is Zergling, Hydralisk, Infestor?

Maybe not a MMORPG, but some sort of maybe FPS where you can pick between the various races and their classic units, fight with /against your friends like a team fortress sort of thing might be fun.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-03-23 at 09:52 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sounds like an intriguing idea. But so did SWToR. A hugely popular franchise. Maybe Sci-Fi doesn't translate well to an MMO? Maybe it is the developer?
    Or maybe it's that whenever someone makes these sugestions/ideas all everyone can think of or makes is yet another WoW clone.

EVE is very different and yet successful scifi MMO
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Not as popular but more popular than WoW (imo). The warcraft franchise is not what is used to be as Blizz killed their most charismatic characters in WoW.

What's left beside Thrall? (i wouldn't call Jaina charismatic based on warcraft games).