Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingFeedz View Post
    Ahahah this made me laugh a bit. Yes, modern day Jet's may not be the most agile, but they could obliterate the Gryphons and Chimera's from miles away with guided-rockets and machine guns. Plus, they would also let all hell break lose by using Destroyers and such. And what will a Gryphon and Chimera do to a jet flying over 600mph? They wouldn't even be able to catch up with them, and like I said the Gryphons and Chimera's would of probably been killed before they even see the jets. And have you seen the F-22 training in a dogfight? They are maneuverable as hell. I, in my opinion, honestly say the Alliance wouldn't stand a chance. But, as you can see, people don't agree with me.

They way it seems you see it, Marines are mindless cavemen with no strategic tactics worth shit.
    Yes and the F-22 is also a flying deathtrap with more flaws than almost any other weapon we know of. And no i am NOT saying marines have no idea of tactics i am saying that marines would not know how to deal with more than a few of these units and even when they figured it out it would still present some problems. Whether it be guys rising from the dead or guys healing faster than can be harmed outside of full onachibegun storms. I am also saying that EVERYTHING the marines have has been seen in some form weaker or stronger in warcraft lore however the same CANNOT be said for marines.

For instance jets come in firing missiles. Ok cool cool but wait all of a sudden a forcefield pops up on their aerial enemies. Ok NP we try and use speed but OH SHIT WE'RE slowing dowm. Hello shield and slow spells. As for the fan favorite bume again hello shield but this time with 10% more rez. Or even illusory copies or sending out Fairy Dragons to draw fire who then phase? Wasted ammo right there.

Again they have equivelants to everything WE have we however do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I know more than you think i do. I just see how everything our current military has CAN be countered. A machinegun only works if it hits. A nuke is not only killing the enemy but your own troops as well. And what if your enemy can render themselves immune to the initial explosion and then cure radiation poisoning should it even happen?

For instance in a FULL war we would most likely have super mages like Rhonin and Jaina. Paladins that make our guys look like pansies and oh yeah THE FRICKING UNDEAD(see DK), Demons, warriors able to increase size and strength, men able to turn forests into armies as well as summon lightning storms. Armor made out of materials our scientists can't even imagine. Living creaturs capable of spewing HIGHLY corrosive acid. Walking mountains, living magically enhanced trees. People who can fires a single arrow OR bullet and turn it into a hailstorm, guys capable ressirectobg whole units, flying scouts who can phase.

I mean we don't have tech to do/deal with even HALF if their shit if hero units and commanders get involved. Army on army even just the alliance should be enough. Though it COULD be close. Oh right and if this were a FULL ON invasion of azeroth they'd probably ha e to deak with the horde and dragons as well if not others like the Vrykul and earthen. I mean really man you SERIOUSLY underestimate their world just because it LOOKS less advanced.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 10:29 PM ----------

Maybe but about 10-20 of em would probably force em outta ammo. If not then well they CAN heal and revive the dead.
    I do agree with you for some points. But if it were a full out invasion, we would win. Here's why: If it were a real, full out war, we would bomb their major cities to oblivion, destroying and killing most of their troops and support. Their Gryphons wouldn't of even seen the jets, and by the time they hear them(Which will be too late since they fly faster then the speed of sound) they would be already dead. Even without nukes in which would be unrealistic if we did use them because they are thinking of completely scrapping nukes out of military use. We also have guided rocket's and bombs that can be shot from hundred miles away, and did I mention they go faster then most 5th generation fighter jets and can destroy a whole city with just one hit? What does the Undead have against a tank? The tank will just crush everything in it's path. Plus tanks have 120mm shells that could go through 10 feet of thick steel(I know the mostly use "Thorium" and "Acanite" now, but if a sword can penetrate that armor, don't you think a high speed explosive shell wouldn't?). We have Apache gunships which will take out their catapults, ancients, dragons, outposts, etc from afar. If it were a full out invasion, we would easily win.

However, the marines or military wouldn't just bombard the whole planet with missiles and bombs. We would probably be careful and NOT kill the civilians or innocent, which in most cases, high-technological bombs and rockets wouldn't become in use much. I had posted this comment earlier today, this is what I had said because I don't want to repeat myself: Also, if it were a fight between 100 Marines and 5000 alliance soldiers, the Soldiers would win no doubt, because the Marines will most likely run out of resources or such. "Also, the only reason our men are actually dying in Afghanistan even with are massive technological overhaul compared to the Al- Qaeda is because they are hidden in the streets, surrounded by civilians. And the terrorists don't care about civilians, so they will just run up to the US marines, killing them and possibly 100's of civilians, whereas the US marines are more strategic, and don't plan on obliterating city by city, killing thousands possibly millions of civilians. In which if they wanted to they could of easily. What I'm saying is even if they did have explosives, they could easily obliterate all of Stormwind in a blink of an eye, but they wouldn't because of the civilians. So, because of the empathy of the Marines, the Soldiers of the Alliance will most probably win, even with the help of state-of-the-arc machinery and explosives."

I hope you see it my way now, of course. The option that would most likely happen is option 2, we would lose because of empathy. If we were to invade a planet or continent for it's resources, we wouldn't bombard the planet into oblivion, that would just be illogical. But if it were a full out war, I think we would easily defeat them.
    Last edited by TheAmazingFeedz; 2012-04-10 at 10:48 PM.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

Eh..I feel our America's finest would get wrecked. One major flaw in their prowess: they don't know how to deal with Magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Marines, easy. Mountainous terrain like that severely hampers melee footsoldiers but is perfect for ranged combat units, especially if they get the high ground and dig in. Plus there is a damn good reason guns replaced swords for the military. They're just more effective. Throw in a few snipers to pick off the healers as i'm sure every marine detachment has a few, and bam, it's a no brainer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do agree with you for some points. But if it were a full out invasion, we would win. Here's why: If it were a real, full out war, we would bomb their major cities to oblivion, destroying and killing most of their troops and support. Their Gryphons wouldn't of even seen the jets, and by the time they hear them(Which will be too late since they fly faster then the speed of sound) they would be already dead. Even without nukes in which would be unrealistic if we did use them because they are thinking of completely scrapping nukes out of military use. We also have guided rocket's and bombs that can be shot from hundred miles away, and did I mention they go faster then most 5th generation fighter jets and can destroy a whole city with just one hit? What does the Undead have against a tank? The tank will just crush everything in it's path. Plus tanks have 120mm shells that could go through 10 feet of thick steel(I know the mostly use "Thorium" and "Acanite" now, but if a sword can penetrate that armor, don't you think a high speed explosive shell wouldn't?). We have Apache gunships which will take out their catapults, ancients, dragons, outposts, etc from afar. If it were a full out invasion, we would easily win.

However, the marines or military wouldn't just bombard the whole planet with missiles and bombs. We would probably be careful and NOT kill the civilians or innocent, which in most cases, high-technological bombs and rockets wouldn't become in use much. I had posted this comment earlier today, this is what I had said because I don't want to repeat myself: Also, if it were a fight between 100 Marines and 5000 alliance soldiers, the Soldiers would win no doubt, because the Marines will most likely run out of resources or such. "Also, the only reason our men are actually dying in Afghanistan even with are massive technological overhaul compared to the Al- Qaeda is because they are hidden in the streets, surrounded by civilians. And the terrorists don't care about civilians, so they will just run up to the US marines, killing them and possibly 100's of civilians, whereas the US marines are more strategic, and don't plan on obliterating city by city, killing thousands possibly millions of civilians. In which if they wanted to they could of easily. What I'm saying is even if they did have explosives, they could easily obliterate all of Stormwind in a blink of an eye, but they wouldn't because of the civilians. So, because of the empathy of the Marines, the Soldiers of the Alliance will most probably win, even with the help of state-of-the-arc machinery and explosives."

I hope you see it my way now, of course. The option that would most likely happen is option 2, we would lose because of empathy. If we were to invade a planet or continent for it's resources, we wouldn't bombard the planet into oblivion, that would just be illogical.
    Oh i see you're points. But remember that even just the humans in that world aren't like us. To them destroying an entire NATION doesn't mean surrender it means GO GET EM BOYS!!!! And yeah if they did that it would get dalaran involved as well as the horde and other groups. And lets face it ALL of those forces combined would be enough magically, numerically AND technologically in some ways to deal with it. I mean seriously get a gnome and a goblin to work together and hello explosives that would make a michael bay grade nuke look like a party favor. And yeah jets are fast as hell but we're not dealing with earthly animals or warriors here. Hell timewarping is on the cards as is resurrection. And yeah casualties considered i still say they'd win. I mean in WC2(well it's expansion) a variant on your VERY scenario happened when Deathwing OBLITERATED stormwind(this incident is both the cause for deathwings hate for SW AND the original Deadmines quests) yet they rebuilt and STILL WON.

In WC3 dalaran is seen to have magical defenses yet was wiped out by Archimonde(a borderline god power wise) who created a DIRT replica and suashed the replica causing damage to the city. Yep they had an entire city get voodooed AND STILL FOUGHT. Trust me i'm taking more than just tech/magic and abilities into account here.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 10:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    Marines, easy. Mountainous terrain like that severely hampers melee footsoldiers but is perfect for ranged combat units, especially if they get the high ground and dig in. Plus there is a damn good reason guns replaced swords for the military. They're just more effective. Throw in a few snipers to pick off the healers as i'm sure every marine detachment has a few, and bam, it's a no brainer.
    Yeah except the average alliance army isn't as primitive as people think. They just developed tech differently. When all is said and done i'd say they're actually more advanced than us by a good 20(SUPER conservative estimate more like 100+) years or more than us.
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2012-04-10 at 10:59 PM.

What if Captain America and Iron Man are fighting with the Marines?
    Also, half of the marines are Jedi?

10+ Year Old Account
    See my links above. By our standards the current alliance or hell even WC1 army was hella OP. I mean think about ir. they stopped MULTIPLE invasions onto their planet against armies who have MULTIPLE commanders capable of nuke grade spells casting. Pretty sure even nukes wouldn't deminish they're moral much seeing as THOSE they can see and pop defenses against. A guy able to use a DIRT effigy to wipe out an entire city. Not so much. Took the NE giving up immortality but they beat him.

So yeah they could most likely. I've played all three RTS games and wow since vanilla and i used to be a lore nut. So yeah even with nukes they's still stand a fair chance. Besides IRL nukes are only an insta win button because of fear. In USE however they are more of a "we just fucked EVERYONE including ourselves" button.[COLOR="red"]
    The technological differences are immeasurable. It would be like giving a nuclear submarine to the British during the American revolution. There is just no comparison. A feudal army of thousands with magic versus a technological army of millions. I'm thinking a mouse with a taser versus a Rottweiler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

I hope you see it my way now, of course. The option that would most likely happen is option 2, we would lose because of empathy. If we were to invade a planet or continent for it's resources, we wouldn't bombard the planet into oblivion, that would just be illogical. But if it were a full out war, I think we would easily defeat them.
    So we have the technology for advanced spaceships now, or can actually create warpholes for deployment right?

Sigh, I see a militaristic fanboy not being able to comprehend the scale of power in which the magical spells available to the denizens of Azeroth can overwhelm the available weaponry.

An arcane mage is basically a destroyer and advanced jet on foot.
    A Warlock is basically a douchebag using WMD.

Come back when we can get to actually have Iron Man Mark 3 level weaponry as our worst, then the humanity may stand a chance.

Oh i see you're points. But remember that even just the humans in that world aren't like us. To them destroying an entire NATION doesn't mean surrender it means GO GET EM BOYS!!!! And yeah if they did that it would get dalaran involved as well as the horde and other groups. And lets face it ALL of those forces combined would be enough magically, numerically AND technologically in some ways to deal with it. I mean seriously get a gnome and a goblin to work together and hello explosives that would make a michael bay grade nuke look like a party favor. And yeah jets are fast as hell but we're not dealing with earthly animals or warriors here. Hell timewarping is on the cards as is resurrection. And yeah casualties considered i still say they'd win. I mean in WC2(well it's expansion) a variant on your VERY scenario happened when Deathwing OBLITERATED stormwind(this incident is both the cause for deathwings hate for SW AND the original Deadmines quests) yet they rebuilt and STILL WON.

In WC3 dalaran is seen to have magical defenses yet was wiped out by Archimonde(a borderline god power wise) who created a DIRT replica and suashed the replica causing damage to the city. Yep they had an entire city get voodooed AND STILL FOUGHT. Trust me i'm taking more than just tech/magic and abilities into account here.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 10:57 PM ----------

Yeah except the average alliance army isn't as primitive as people think. They just developed tech differently. When all is said and done i'd say they;re actually more advanced than us by a good 20(SUPER conservative estimate more like 100+) years or more than us.
    I am not going to argue with you further about the whole invasion dilemma. But, let's say if the Horde and Alliance had attacked our Earth, what do you think the results would be after that had happened? We all know if they did, they would attack in a strategic way, teleporting their most trained Mages and Warriors to major cities throughout the world. If we somehow got the whole world working together, in my head we would be unstoppable. We would destroy all the Alliance and Horde outposts within our own world, and we will bring the fight to their planet, having no empathy this time. Even if Dalaran did have their magical force-field around it, as I am pretty sure it was only magic repellant, even if it wasn't the missile would still probably break it's defensive, just like a bubble from a priest can only take a certain amount of damage before it vanishes. And Deathwing could also be only in one place at once. We would have bombs attacking all the major cities at once, not giving them time to even retaliate one bit, and even if they did, the results would be catastrophic for Azeroth, a lot more then when Deathwing had attacked.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    The technological differences are immeasurable. It would be like giving a nuclear submarine to the British during the American revolution. There is just no comparison. A feudal army of thousands with magic versus a technological army of millions. I'm thinking a mouse with a taser versus a Rottweiler.
    LOL yeah agreed. Though we CAN draw some parallels between what say we think can be done with tech and what we have.

Such as the Fairy Dragons ability to phase that would be sci fi tech for us. Yet for them our machineguns...actually they DO have those as well. Just not in common use. SO umm yeah they actually do seem to have pretty much everything we do. Only downgraded due to magic augmenting their forces.

Deleted
    so stupid question, 100 vs 5k? ofc 5k win they overwhelm them. by the time they shot 10 of them they are overwhelmed

To everyone saying the alliance would just kill the marines with fireballs, rain of fire, etc; What is the longest range of a damaging spell, 40 yards?. The Marines would be picking them off at over 200 yards and automatic weapons compared to cast time from spells, I have to give the edge to the marines.

Yeah except the average alliance army isn't as primitive as people think. They just developed tech differently. When all is said and done i'd say they're actually more advanced than us by a good 20(SUPER conservative estimate more like 100+) years or more than us.
    They use swords. nuff said. I will feast upon their graves.

10+ Year Old Account
    5000? wow talk about over kill

100 marines couldn't even take on 5k civs... they would just get swarmed and stomped on or something. Not to mention they wouldn't be carrying 5,000 bullets its not cod.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenX View Post
    So we have the technology for advanced spaceships now, or can actually create warpholes for deployment right?

Sigh, I see a militaristic fanboy not being able to comprehend the scale of power in which the magical spells available to the denizens of Azeroth can overwhelm the available weaponry.

An arcane mage is basically a destroyer and advanced jet on foot.
    A Warlock is basically a douchebag using WMD.

Come back when we can get to actually have Iron Man Mark 3 level weaponry as our worst, then the humanity may stand a chance.
    Really? I don't even want to argue with such an idiotic response. It's actually hilarious and ironic how you call me a militaristic fanboy, when you come at me with this none-sense. Even though everything I said is pretty much all accurate, I cannot say the same for you.

Edit: Maybe Jaina or some other really powerful mage will be at par with a single 5th generation state-of-the-arc fighter jet, but not a bunch of amateur Mages. I can also say the same for any Warlock.
    Last edited by TheAmazingFeedz; 2012-04-10 at 11:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not going to argue with you further about the whole invasion dilemma. But, let's say if the Horde and Alliance had attacked our Earth, what do you think the results would be after that had happened? We all know if they did, they would attack in a strategic way, teleporting their most trained Mages and Warriors to major cities throughout the world. If we somehow got the whole world working together, in my head we would be unstoppable. We would destroy all the Alliance and Horde outposts within our own world, and we will bring the fight to their planet, having no empathy this time. Even if Dalaran did have their magical force-field around it, as I am pretty sure it was only magic repellant, even if it wasn't the missile would still probably break it's defensive, just like a bubble from a priest can only take a certain amount of damage before it vanishes. And Deathwing could also be only in one place at once. We would have bombs attacking all the major cities at once, not giving them time to even retaliate one bit, and even if they did, the results would be catastrophic for Azeroth, a lot more then when Deathwing had attacked.
    Yeah i see what you mean. But i still say for them that's more of a "UP AND ATTEM" thing. As for the shield if it can withstand most magic i imagine it can withstand the scientific counterpart. And as for other things think of Gnomer those crazy ass little gnomes basically nuked their own freakin city and yet STILL lived right around it. And worst case people would go to outlands or sme other planet and regroup. Don;t forget on top of magic they DO have some pretty amazing tech(see gnomes,goblins, ethereals and draenei). And how would YOU stop an army undead that even when destroyed/creamated could STILL fight? How about guys with NO physical bodies or a demigod SHOWN to be immune to everything but chaos damage(and lest say a nuke does this) and yet can STILL come back to life.

MY point being that rez and shield spells would break it. Having undead and dragons working at your side would tilt it more than a bit in you're favor. But having sci fi grade tech as well. Ok now earth is fucked. Cause i mean if we're talking GLOBAL wars here they have TITAN tech which is basically like asking a human from the stragate series earth pre stargate to fight the ancients ascended AND non head on.

Deleted
    If you basically reduce the alliance soldiers to being medieval soldiers with nicer colour schemes then they would clearly lose. It is one of those what ifs that doesn't really work without giving one side or another a limiting factor for no apparent reason.

Sorry to say but the problem with arguing for bullets dealing realistic damage is contemplating how magic damage RPG type spells would realistically do.

"Magic users are not omnipotent demigods. They can't just make themselves invulnerable or kill all the marines with a single spell. They're just regular Alliance footmages."

Get back to me when a massive fireball or rain or fire doesn't at least somewhat ruin your day....

10+ Year Old Account
    They use swords. nuff said. I will feast upon their graves.
    Magically ENHANCED swords. They also use tanks,Subs,Guns,Choppers,AERIAL WARSHIPS and MANY other things as well.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 11:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    To everyone saying the alliance would just kill the marines with fireballs, rain of fire, etc; What is the longest range of a damaging spell, 40 yards?. The Marines would be picking them off at over 200 yards and automatic weapons compared to cast time from spells, I have to give the edge to the marines.
    In game for US. In the RTS i;d say the actual military mages have a MUCH longer range.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 11:16 PM ----------

Really? I don't even want to argue with such an idiotic response. It's actually hilarious and ironic how you call me a militaristic fanboy, when you come at me with this none-sense. Even though everything I said is pretty much all accurate, I cannot say the same for you.

Edit: Maybe Jaina or some other really powerful mage will be at par with a single 5th generation state-of-the-arc fighter jet, but not a bunch of amateur Mages. I can also say the same for any Warlock.

I agree with both of you. The OFFENSIVE capacity of a mage is probably up there. HOWEVER the defensive is not.

Now if we were talking mages from some anime/manga like Negima THEN i;d argue they;re stringer by far but we're not so moot point.
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2012-04-10 at 11:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guns didn´t replace swords. Guns replaced the archers and even then it wasn´t till there was a major advancement in the technology for it to be usefull considering a properly trained longbowman could rip your regular gunman to shreds. Also again - people are underestimating the world of Azeroth and its actual capabilities. You dont think the forces in the world would know their own terrain, and US marines suddenly got an advantage due to it - they wouldn´t know what was behind the next damn ridge if they stumbled in there. Even if you say that they die just as easily as we do here then they got magic to protect them and we only got our tech - ofc. IF there was some force to allie with in Azeroth then it would be more equal since the marines could be enforced magically.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Magically ENHANCED swords. They also use tanks,Subs,Guns,Choppers,AERIAL WARSHIPS and MANY other things as well.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 11:15 PM ----------

In game for US. In the RTS i;d say the actual military mages have a MUCH longer range.

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 11:16 PM ----------

Oh i'm sorry. magically enhansed swords! gasp! I'll dance on their graves while their swords make nice nightlights for the feast we're having. You still have to get in range to use a sword.