Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hardest classes to play? How do they come to this conclusion?

Seen quite a few posts pop up on the official forums where people discuss the hardest class to play vs the easiest. Is this due to amount of abilities, cooldowns, and keybinds required? Or clunky mechanics? Are they referring to those classes only when it comes to PvP? Or do some classes actually have to work hard at leveling and questing as well?

Coming from WoW people used to always talk about Feral Druids or Enhance shaman when it comes to hardest and always the Arcane Mage leads the list for easiest. Are the so called hard/easy class comparisons in SWTOR sort of like that? Or does this game actually have hard classes?
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-04-26 at 05:23 PM.

The old WOTLK Feral Druid and Affliction Locks were called hard as they required a lot of micro managing before that was easyier to keep track of...and if you didn't micro manage all the buffs, debuffs, procs, and stacks the distance between a good one and a bad one was AMAZING.

I never considered Enh a tough one...but then again, that was my class so it kind of came second nature.

Here the only one I've even remotely thought of tough has been the Balance Shadow (I think Madness Assassins on Sith side).

They have alot of buffs and procs to keep a lookout for an if you use A when B is up it is good but when it is down it sucks type mechanics.

That being said...I'm playing the Balance Shadow cause that's exactly what I like about it....if only I could use Power Auras

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Seen quite a few posts pop up on the official forums where people discuss the hardest class to play vs the easiest. Is this due to amount of abilities, cooldowns, and keybinds required? Or clunky mechanics? Are they referring to those classes only when it comes to PvP? Or do some classes actually have to work hard at leveling and questing as well?

Coming from WoW people used to always talk about Feral Druids or Enhance shaman when it comes to hardest and always the Arcane Mage leads the list for easiest. Are the so called hard/easy class comparisons in SWTOR sort of like that? Or does this game actually have hard classes?
    It has a lot to do with skill cap.

Take your example:
    Arcane mages have a relatively simple rotation and in pvp they act as turrets for the most part. It should be noted that having a low skill cap on a class does not make it gimp or weak, just easy for someone who isn't very experienced to preform at adequate levels.

Now feral druid. You could play a feral druid like you do an arcane mage. Just run around spamming mangle and keep your dots up... But that isn't very effective and there's several skill sets you'd be neglecting such as spot heals, tranq, insta roots and cylone, soothe ect. Feral druid has a higher skill cap because you have to manage multiple skills sets which create a multidimensional play style, commonly called "hybrid".

Essentially, and "easy" class is exactly what it sounds like. A class that can be picked up easily. Now the class could be OP or terrible. that doesn't have to do with its difficulty.

A "hard" class is one that usually has to observe positioning, manage not just more skills but multiple skill sets (healing, cc, damage, mitigation), and usually takes longer to learn.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

People always claim marauders/Sentinels are so hard yet /who turns up the most people playing those classes. My 15 years playing MMOs tells me that the highest played class is usually the easiest and the lowest played is the hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    People always claim marauders/Sentinels are so hard yet /who turns up the most people playing those classes. My 15 years playing MMOs tells me that the highest played class is usually the easiest and the lowest played is the hardest.
    Not sure if that holds in this game yet though.

Mara/Sent are lightsaber classes which brings tons of new players to them already. Add on the fact they dual wield two sabers and you have tons of player that want to roll one with no research or anything. Doesn't mean the class is easy though.

I get what you're saying, but I think you're talking more about fotm classes. A class being fotm has little to do with its learning curve.

Also Im pretty sure those discussions about hard vs easy-mode classes were related to PvP only. Might be wrong but Im pretty sure you can easily level any class in this game to 50 using only 3-4 abilities without gimping yourself if you stick to only questing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easiest class to play: Arsenal Merc.

Hardest Class: Probably Marauder or its equiv.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post

I actually found merc/commando harder to level than my Shadow i been working on all this week. Sure Commando has faceroll AoE but when faced with silvers or golds I would run out of ammo or come close to dieing or just die because I couldnt burst them down before I ran out of ammo. But with my Shadow everything seems to flow very well and it doesnt feel clunky at all and I havent died. Now the only spec I have used is Infiltration so I dont know how much easier/harder the tank spec would be. I have no desire to ever play Balance.

Sentinel!

But honestly hardest and easiest class will probably vary a lot depending on if people are talking about PvE, PvP, leveling, etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Sentinel!

But honestly hardest and easiest class will probably vary a lot depending on if people are talking about PvE, PvP, leveling, etc...
    Yeah, we need a basis for this discussion. Are we talking PvE wise?

Yeah, we need a basis for this discussion. Are we talking PvE wise?

Lets just go easiest/hardest for all 3. Most of the discussion regarding hardest seems to revolve around PvP just wondering if it differs much for PvE.

1. Leveling
    2. PvP
    3. End Game PvE

I find these discussions to be completely irrelevant. As stated above, it depends on the setting. And next to that, it also varies from person to person. For some, a ranged class will be harder to play. For another it will be a caster class. For the next person it will be a melee class. For yet another class, it will be a proc-centric class. There is no true 'hardest class to play'.

In WoW, I've seen people fail horribly at playing an Arcane Mage because they couldn't get a handle on the proper burn/conserve phases of their rotations while pumping out massive DPS on what were claimed to be some of the 'hardest classes to play'.

In short, the 'hardest' class to play can differ for each individual player.

Hardest class to level: The one you choose first when you are unfamiliar with the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    Hardest class to level: The one you choose first when you are unfamiliar with the game.
    Haha...very good point there.

Easiest|Hard

Leveling: Sorc DPS | No idea

PvP: Assassin tank | Merc Healer now

End game PvE: Merc DPS | Marauder

I have an Op (50), Guardian (33), Sorc (33).

For PVP:

Op is hardest in my opinion due to no ability to close distance or cheapo knockback.

I can't really decide which one was easier between Sorc and Guardian. I suppose Guardian is easier because you don't have a giant target on your back, yet you still get all the easy healing-type bonuses with Guard, and I really really love Force Leap after being left in the dust for so long as an Op.

Obviously I cannot really speak for leveling or endgame, as I only have one level 50.

I don't really think you can compare WoW to SWTOR when it comes to "hard" or "easy" classes to play. WoW classes seem very basic to play vs. what I have experience in SWTOR so far. I've played WoW for so long that I have 80+ of every class (most of them 85 and raid experienced). That is not to say that I've mastered every class, but I'd say they're all about the same. Yes, a mage is quite easy compared to say a shaman or a druid. But they were all quite easy to learn (with a little bit of reading and some instructions from guildies).

I'm finding that in SWTOR, the classes are much more complex. You really have to use every skill given to you as you level. I personally had a lot of trouble with the gunslinger and sniper (DPS). I died a lot and found that if I wasn't using specific skills in a hard battle, I wasn't using the class to its full extent.

I agree that it very much depends on each person, how much practice and play they get on each class, and what works best for certain people. I have a friend that does really well on caster classes, where I have a difficult time with casters. I tend to be better with ranged classes (though in SWTOR, that is not turning out to be the case).

10+ Year Old Account
    Hardest class to play? Scoundrels and Balance Sages/Shadows are pretty freakin' hard to micro manage, as must their counterparts.
    Scratch a cynic and you'll find a disappointed idealist - George Carlin (1937-2008)

I'm finding that in SWTOR, the classes are much more complex. You really have to use every skill given to you as you level. I personally had a lot of trouble with the gunslinger and sniper (DPS). I died a lot and found that if I wasn't using specific skills in a hard battle, I wasn't using the class to its full extent.
    ya,i dont quite understand how a game with as many skills as sw tor has.there so against macros

but /shrug.maybe bioware is just bad at mmorpgs

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post

but /shrug.maybe bioware is just bad at mmorpgs
    Or maybe you just need to be better at keybinds.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    Or maybe you just need to be better at keybinds.
    its not only the macros that makes them bad

look at the game as a whole.pvp is a joke,servers are dieing at a rapid rate,bioware really doesnt know what good end game in a mmo is.i can go on,but i dont really feel like arguing about it,plus it probably would just end with me getting banned again
    Last edited by CrunkJuice5; 2012-04-27 at 01:40 AM.