Another H Jin'Rokh Question.

Can anyone tell me what they do to survive through this fight, outside of simply avoiding the lightning balls?

We killed Jin'Rokh tonight but I was having huge issues staying alive. Using Ice Block twice thanks to Cold Snap was fine for the Ionizations, but during the lightning storm phase I was as good as dead meat. I opted for Temporal Shield to give myself a little help in the healing department but it simply wasn't enough. I'd understand if I was getting hit by the lightning balls but I can avoid them all. My health pool (435k) simply can't handle the raid wide damage that hits for 56k a tick.

Should I be sacrificing the double Ice Block and save it for the lightning storm phase instead, or is it simply a matter of not being healed? Or am I missing something entirely like using Temporal Shield at the wrong time?

Our tactics was, that we started in "the left side, closer to the entrance" pool and during the storm we ran to the opposite side from the entrance, far far away from boss. Its much easier to dodge the balls that way. Do not care about your dps during storm, you will be out of range probably. Also it turned out, that using barriers (like dpriest's) actually kills people because they thought that its a safe spot. Its not Just avoid the balls and in case of danger, use iceblock or greater invisibility.

Lightning Storm phase works like this:

100k damage off the bat
    15 ticks of 45-57k damage
    (which is about 880k)

Each orb you get hit by is another 200k damage.

- If your raid is OK with letting you sit with the Ionization Debuff till it falls off, and no one will accidentally dispel you you can try Greater Invis for Ionization and you should be able to Ice Block 1 Lightning Storm
    (My guild is not OK with this, and we want the Ionization Debuff off everyone ASAP, so I use Cold Snap)

LVL 30 TALENT ANALYSIS:
    Temporal Shield - The absolute best you could hope for is the 100k + 3*52k for 256k healing (more realistically you will get 200k healing each time)
    Flame Glow - Should reduce by about 7k per tick/hit for 16*7k = 112k damage prevention
    Ice Barrier - At 33k SP, my Ice Barrier does 113k, so even if I had a full IB going in, and used it again during the middle of the Storm, I'd only get 226k damage prevention

So, it seems like Temporal Shield is the right choice for this fight.

With 435k HP
    - Your healthstone = 87k (healthstone will be up for 1 and 3)
    - With Temporal Shield healing = 200k

You would only need 158k healing somewhere over the 15 seconds. That's essentially 1 HoT or 1 PW:S or just a random Shaman dropping Healing Tide.

You can see what happened to you via expression editor with:
    (type = TYPE_HEAL or spell="Lightning Storm" or spell="Lightning Diffusion" or spell= "Focused Lightning Detonation") and targetname="INSERT YOUR NAME HERE"

- Lightning storm is unavoidable
    - Lightning Diffusion = you got hit by a ball
    - Focused Lightning Detonation = you were standing in the spot where lightning is going to strike and create the 4 balls.

In terms of strategy for dodging the ball: I recommend going to the next area near a statue where a pool would spawn, that way you're not trapped in a corner, and you only have orbs from 3 directions to look out for.
    Last edited by Windry; 2013-04-14 at 08:19 AM.

Is use Greater Invis for ionization. It's cooldown lines up perfectly with ionization. If your healers want it off asap just call "dispel" on vent/ts3/... and use invis. Works perfectly fine for me.

For lightning storm we always position ourselves directly in front of the wall. As the bolts don't bounce off of them they are really easy to avoid. If there's a situation where you can't avoid them I use barrier/block. Never had any survivability problems except the first few "test tries"

Thanks for replying. I'll see next week how well Greater Invisibility works for me.

Deleted
    Honestly, I prefer Ice Barrier for this fight. I always pop it before Ionization wears off, just in case, and obviously it takes a couple of ticks of lightning storm. I don't use cold snap, and save Ice Block for the last lightning storm where it's most difficult to survive.

Also I use greater invis for the lightning storm. It will wear off immediately due to the periodic damage, but it's a great damage reduction anyway (especially if you're about to take four lightning orbs to the face). But as someone said above, you should position your raid on the gratings at the edge of the room. It's easiest to avoid the orbs there.

I use Greater Invisibility for Ionizations, I like having Temporal Shield to absorb damage from focused lightnings. I save my ice block for emergency during a lightning storm. Our raid group stacks on the sewer grates on the sides of the room during lightning storm and we avoid the lightning balls from there. As fire, I am able to continue DPSing the boss while avoiding the lightning balls with scorch and regular rotation, towards the end of the lightning storm, Jinrokh starts to run towards the side where our raid group is grouped up, and I find that to be a good time to start running back out into the middle of the room to position yourself near where the next pool will be spawning.

Deleted
    Don't get hit by Lightning Diffusion and provided you're within range of your healers all should be fine.

It's really that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene
    Don't get hit by Lightning Diffusion and provided you're within range of your healers all should be fine.

It's really that simple.
    Yup. You have to just avoid the lightning balls. As a healer I can tell you it is difficult to impossible (depending on class) to get enough heals out to save people getting hit by balls. Everyone just has to avoid the balls. It's only the third lightning storm that should give you any trouble, really. On that we save healing cooldowns (I use Revival and Life Cocoon the priest for hymn).

blink or worgen sprint is great to help u get pass a line of lighting coming your way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by henzington View Post
    blink or worgen sprint is great to help u get pass a line of lighting coming your way.
    Over-complicating things, really. Neither is needed, nor should they be needed. Blink is bad because you could end up blinking into some Lightning that's just spawned.

OP, just run whatever talents you're comfortable with and learn to dodge the Lightning balls.

I use Ice Barrier right before Focus Lightning hits, then again when I'm about to get hit by a stray Diffused Lightning. Temporal Shield is nice, but it doesn't have that instant lifesaving quality to it. Use glyphed evocation during lightning phase whenever you think you've got enough time to get one off. For Ionization, I blink out at ~2 seconds and use Greater Invis. Save Iceblock for when you're about to get smashed by 2 or more Diffused Lightnings. Using this strategy, I was able to rank 26th. I expect to do better this week.

Deleted
    I am playing frost mage(currently ilvl 520). For our progression(10m) on this boss I used Cauterize together with Ice Barrier and icy floes.

What I did for Ionization was simply 4 seconds before it came i used icy floes and walked out of the water(while still being able to dps) and called out for a dispel. After I get dispelled I simply blink back in and carry on dps'ing.

For the storm phase, We were divided in 3 groups:
    group 1: 1 healer 2 dps
    group 2: 1 healer 2 dps
    group 3: 1 healer 2 tanks 1 dps

the groups all have a own quarter of the room and should have plenty of room(with the healer) to survive the damage.
    The phases after that we simply merge group 1 into group 2 and 3 so they have equal players on each quarter of the room that's left.

overall I had not that much of a problem staying alive while my healer heal'd me in the storm phase.

http://nl.twitch.tv/syndicalgaming/c/2109207 <- this is my pov of the fight

Temporal Shield and Greater invisibility is the shit man temporal shield will heal you up to max after getting hit by ionization (which can be immuned the first time). Greater invis gives you 3sec near immunity during the lightning storm phase. Oh and make sure you time your alter time macro well so you dont end up exploding in the water pool.

Deleted
    I've used temp shield and double ice block. I've tried to use ice block before ionisation which worked well but I have to admit I had difficulties in the lightning so I ran out of the pools got despelled and got back in. Maybe I should add I've only killen Jin'rokh once

mm i guess its just a thing one have to get used to. Greater invis really do help. The 3sec 90% reduction means you can survive most oh shit moments. Apart from that just keep attention as to where the lightning strikes the ground and try be 15y+ away in order to have enough time to adapt.

I do not like temporal shield for the storm phase - if your healers are doing their job then they heal you up, if they don't it won't save you. Barrier reduces healer load in this phase while TS does not.

OP - If you're avoiding the diffusion balls well, then your defensive cd choice is probably not at all the deciding factor in this - your healers having a clean ionization phase and topping everyone off going into storm probably is.