Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    WvW didn't seem very different. I expected to go in there and have an upleveled set of PvP gear like in Heart of the Mists only to discover I was still in my level 20 greens facing people in exotics.
    DW lane your gear gets upleveled to the same ratio as lvl 80s! That sure as hell fixes it. (I'm being sarcastic here)
    Instead of scaling every item you have to 80 they should look at your stat distr and give you equivalent lvl 80exotic stats. If you want to keep the ppl who think roflstomping lower lvld people takes "skill" happy you can make it rare gear.

My engineer was far in his 30s before I got gear that was level appropriate (I was running with white gear for <lvl 10), so I got scaled up to have white lvl 53 gear, GL vs ppl with ascended items...

10+ Year Old Account
    You just have to play the waiting game. Monocles will get cheaper the longer the dungeon is out and the more people do it.
    That is if people manage to clear it :P!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    There are already weapons in the game that channel lightning, though. Scepters. If they want a rapier-wielding elementalist... Just give swords to elementalists.
    I was just giving an example of what a rapier could do instead of stabbing. You have no imagination.

Secondly there is a difference between rapiers and swords. That's why one is called a rapier and one is called a sword.... fuck the rapier could detach itself in 3 pieces and channel a portal to narnia.

10+ Year Old Account
    speaking of lightning i recently changed my staff ele to a pure crit lightning build and its working pretty well so far more so than whatver i had before as i totally forgot what build i had then

the extra movement speed from the passive trait makes the first aetherblade boss almost soloable (if only i could take the damage from the golems )

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I was just giving an example of what a rapier could do instead of stabbing. You have no imagination.

Secondly there is a difference between rapiers and swords. That's why one is called a rapier and one is called a sword.... fuck the rapier could detach itself in 3 pieces and channel a portal to narnia.
    Though the rapier is just a sword skin, I do think it'd be neat if an expansion added a weapon or two to the current classes with new powers.

Not sure what kinds off hand, but a chain or whip might be fun, and I'd love some polearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Though the rapier is just a sword skin, I do think it'd be neat if an expansion added a weapon or two to the current classes with new powers.

Not sure what kinds off hand, but a chain or whip might be fun, and I'd love some polearms.
    I would love it if they added rapiers for dualing. Sort of like a mini game where all professions can equip them and they get the same skills. Then people can dual or use them in the world if they really want to. Much like planks, etc that exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    The clip is just about getting fucked up the ass but said in a slightly less blunt way.

Time to explain the sentiment:
    1. Rangers are on the right side of the 'from best to worst professions list' for a very long time now (in relation to GW2's life close to 100%).
    2. The builds that actually put us in the middle got nerfed ages ago for silly reasons (animation bug which nobody even noticed, etc)
    3. Rangers got treated very poorly ages ago in regards to balances and promises that weren't kept disgruntling many people
    4. All classes have gotten quite a few quality of life changes yet the ranger still is the most clunky prof to play (in dungeons) effectively
    5. Rangers can't actually do the thing their name implies in a decent way and are forced to use a weapon(s) that are in melee range and rather clunky (try dodging in the sword auto attack chain, I dare ya!)
    6. Now they nerf half of our theoretical dmg (we are balanced around having a pet you know. This is often forgotten due to the fact that dead pets don't really count...) without getting anything in return for it.
    7. We get a "buff" to the worst weapon out there that still is horrible...
    8. The one pet that gets a buff is the most OP one to begin with (explain that to me plz)

BM is nerfed in that you now Lose two fold.
    1. As BM you are forced to go 30 in it now while you used to have options for more dps output through more might/crit dmg/healing/...
    2. by swapping a non selected minor trait with a selected grand-master trait you eliminate the choice of GM trait

In short, a-net knows jack shit about their own profession...
    I get you are still upset over what happened in past patches... but yea that has nothing to do with this patch.
    Your points 4 & 5 are completely ridiculous. I play a shortbow/longbow Ranger almost exclusively in dungeons and it is very smooth and effective. The only time I have had to switch to melee weapons is for certain fights where piercing damage is reflected back, which is fine because most fights are more punishing to melee anyways.
    I am not sure why your pets are dead all the time, maybe try using different ones or practicing switching before they die more effectively? There is always a tradeoff for higher dps meaning more squishy things in games. This shouldn't be surprising or a point of contention that our pets also follow this. Plus we have signets which can make our pets (and us too depending on how to spec) immune to damage for a period of time. It just really sounds like you want to do things one particular way and don't want to adjust at all.

The patch was about making less use builds more viable and builds where were almost universally considered "the best" down a few notches. There are more choices now, which was the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    why does WvW need an overhaul?
    Mostly because it's all about mindless zergs and interesting/smart play matters very little. Plus often the server who logs out last will end up winning. Which is sort of crap. It ends up favoring servers is certain time zones a bit too much. They have some plans for fixing these things which they haven't implemented yet. It will be interesting to see if their ideas work the way they expect though.

I don't get the zerg comment. Every single game I have played that has had mass pvp always was dominated by zergs, yes even peoples holy grail of DAOC. How would you design it so zergs have less of an affect? If you can come up with a viable answer then apply to be a developer as I'm sure anyone who develops this type of pvp would love to have you. I'm not trying to poo poo those that have criticisms of the zerg but I think it is a lot harder than people realize to find a solution for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The first part I can't agree with. While "the zerg" does get certain things done well, a HUGE amount of the points in each weeks matches actually comes from smaller activities. (Note that my stance on this many months ago was the exact opposite, before I fully understood the scoring system. Oops.)

The second part is true, and the team with 24/7 coverage will pretty much always win. It's hard to get around that though, without putting some kind of time restrictions of some kind or...something.
    I feel like all I ever see anyone do in WvW is run around a zerg.

To fix the second issue the devs have suggested a couple of things. One I really like is they were talking about having obtaining an objective count less, and the longer you keep it count more. In addition to that they mentioned something about making it so unless people were actively guarding objectives they would lose them. Though, they do need to workout some details there. Unless it is done right they could just end up making it favor the last server on even more.

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 12:16 PM ----------

I don't get the zerg comment. Every single game I have played that has had mass pvp always was dominated by zergs, yes even peoples holy grail of DAOC. How would you design it so zergs have less of an affect? If you can come up with a viable answer then apply to be a developer as I'm sure anyone who develops this type of pvp would love to have you. I'm not trying to poo poo those that have criticisms of the zerg but I think it is a lot harder than people realize to find a solution for it.
    They have a couple of ideas in the works. One they have talked about was implementing a system where smart play is rewarded more than just running around with a group and taking objectives. It's an interesting idea and there are a lot potential pitfalls to it. Basically they aren't trying to discourage running around in a group with a purpose. It's the mindlessly roaming around the map just taking things they want to discourage. Let me dig up the blog post where they talk about it.

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 12:18 PM ----------

Here you go. Some of the ideas have been implemented but others are still in the works.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/d...orld-vs-world/

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion Arlee, I happen to agree with it. But it really seems like its a really difficult task to reduce the zerg while maintaining a high bit of freedom and flexibility. I don't think anyone wants restrictive gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I feel like all I ever see anyone do in WvW is run around a zerg.

To fix the second issue the devs have suggested a couple of things. One I really like is they were talking about having obtaining an objective count less, and the longer you keep it count more. In addition to that they mentioned something about making it so unless people were actively guarding objectives they would lose them. Though, they do need to workout some details there. Unless it is done right they could just end up making it favor the last server on even more.

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 12:16 PM ----------

They have a couple of ideas in the works. One they have talked about was implementing a system where smart play is rewarded more than just running around with a group and taking objectives. It's an interesting idea and there are a lot potential pitfalls to it. Basically they aren't trying to discourage running around in a group with a purpose. It's the mindlessly roaming around the map just taking things they want to discourage. Let me dig up the blog post where they talk about it.
    If you jump into your server's Teamspeak and listen to the commanders coordinating the strategies you'll see it's much deeper than just loljkzerg. Diversionary tactics, controlling supply, the juking and capping of points before the tick - it really is quite deep.

I think the challenge might be how to get small teams and solo players into the big picture.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I get you are still upset over what happened in past patches... but yea that has nothing to do with this patch.
    Your points 4 & 5 are completely ridiculous. I play a shortbow/longbow Ranger almost exclusively in dungeons and it is very smooth and effective. The only time I have had to switch to melee weapons is for certain fights where piercing damage is reflected back, which is fine because most fights are more punishing to melee anyways.
    I am not sure why your pets are dead all the time, maybe try using different ones or practicing switching before they die more effectively? There is always a tradeoff for higher dps meaning more squishy things in games. This shouldn't be surprising or a point of contention that our pets also follow this. Plus we have signets which can make our pets (and us too depending on how to spec) immune to damage for a period of time. It just really sounds like you want to do things one particular way and don't want to adjust at all.

The patch was about making less use builds more viable and builds where were almost universally considered "the best" down a few notches. There are more choices now, which was the point.
    You're probably not a min maxer so that's why you don't know bows suck for rangers. A SB ranger does around 3.5k dps and a LB ranger does about 2.9k dps, in comparison a GS ranger does 4.2k dps and a s/x ranger does 4.6k dps. So it's quite obvious the ranged weapons are horrible.

And no most fights aren't more punishing to melee, it's the exact opposite actually.

Incase you don't know it rangers are "balanced" around having a pet to dps with you. This means that if you want to deal max dps you need to bring a feline or bird and it's impossible to keep double dps pets alive. You can grab a bear who's basically immortal or a drake but you trade off a lot of dps. This means that the theoretical dps we're balanced around can never be achieved (ranger+dps pet) and results in us automatically being undertuned.

You can use signets but they are horrible. You gimp all your dps in return of adding a bit of dps to your pet which is a retarded game design. Other classes get rewarded by not needing defensive CD's, rangers on the otherhand get to "make up" for stupid AI/design.

Ye they wanted to tone down BM since it's pretty OK in pvp. How do they decide to nerf the bm build, by nerfing pets over the board hurting every other build along the way, that's a good way of promoting builds right... They also decided to hit the one redeeming trait we had and replaced it with some BS skill nobody cares about.
    There also aren't "more choices" now. There still is only one "best" spec which is 20/0/0/20/30 using sword (for PvE) for PvP there still are only two "viable" options: bm bunker and trap ranger.

I suggest you read over the big breakdown I posted a bit under the post you quoted. If you disagree with those points, quote them and speak up.

Also an important note effective != efficient. I can clear a dungeon naked, this means I was effective. It took me a lot longer though so it wasn't efficient. Same thing for using ranged weapons on a ranger.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion Arlee, I happen to agree with it. But it really seems like its a really difficult task to reduce the zerg while maintaining a high bit of freedom and flexibility. I don't think anyone wants restrictive gameplay.
    Yes I agree with that point as well. It's one of the reasons I am curious about how they plan to "fix" it. The ideas they have put forward are interesting but they do have some pitfalls they'll have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    If you jump into your server's Teamspeak and listen to the commanders coordinating the strategies you'll see it's much deeper than just loljkzerg. Diversionary tactics, controlling supply, the juking and capping of points before the tick - it really is quite deep.

I think the challenge might be how to get small teams and solo players into the big picture.
    That's actually a really good point. I am actually a very shy person so I have never done that. I know I wouldn't really need to talk or anything... but new people and stuff >< I'll definitely try and force myself into it over the weekend and see if that changes my perspective at all. Also a point... I wonder if the devs pay attention to the server teamspeaks or are just going off what they see in game? I would think they are least aware of the teamspeak channels...

While I don't disagree with your DPS analysis there, I do have to say that it's a bit of a, "Who gives a crap" situation, because of the state of PvE. (A state which I know you're aware of!)

Aside from "OMG SPEED RUN GOGO" stuff - which is appealing to some people, yes, and seems to be your focus here - there's really not much of a point to min/maxing at this point unless you enjoy the act of working out the math.
    That was the actual larger point I was trying to get at.

While I don't disagree with your DPS analysis there, I do have to say that it's a bit of a, "Who gives a crap" situation, because of the state of PvE. (A state which I know you're aware of!)

Aside from "OMG SPEED RUN GOGO" stuff - which is appealing to some people, yes, and seems to be your focus here - there's really not much of a point to min/maxing at this point unless you enjoy the act of working out the math.
    Exactly my point. People who don't care about min-maxing don't realise this at all since they think I did the job so I did a good job, I disagree with that statement .
    I also sadly must agree that there isn't much point to min-maxing in the scope of seeing/doing content.

My focus is doing things in the most efficient way so in essence that comes down to clearing content asap yes.

It looks like this is one of the few topics we agree on .

In short, just because you can do something doesn't mean you're doing it the "right" way.

I have not done a damn thing for this patch. Are there any achievements that will no longer be available July 2nd I should do?

I have not done a damn thing for this patch. Are there any achievements that will no longer be available July 2nd I should do?
    no, the cutoff date is July 9th. July 2nd is when they add in the jumping puzzle

no, the cutoff date is July 9th. July 2nd is when they add in the jumping puzzle
    July 1st

:/

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-ga.../june-25-2013/

Okay, so I don't have to worry about rushing to do stuff in the next 2 days. :P

I don't know why I care anyway since I don't like the mini (and don't collect minis).

none of the rewards interest me (well maybe the shoulder pads, will have to see what they look like), I'll just do the content if it interests me. I'm hoping to run the dungeon at least once before it ends though, it looks amazing (the visuals). But I really dislike pugs so most likely I won't be doing it.

none of the rewards interest me (well maybe the shoulder pads, will have to see what they look like), I'll just do the content if it interests me. I'm hoping to run the dungeon at least once before it ends though, it looks amazing (the visuals). But I really dislike pugs so most likely I won't be doing it.
    Once you know the fight it's easy to solo...

<--- solo the bosses