10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Gotta say the new Oblivion portals are looking super cool.

The portal itself is pretty lame. I was hoping for something like the Oblivion portals from... Oblivion.

they are a pain to find (at least in their current state on pts) and much shorter to clear than you'd think. they are basically mini public dungeons with slightly more challenging bosses.

meanwhile, unless they rebalance heavily, companions are a wash and a waste

I was thinking of getting this and playing. Is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Worth a play through. Running around the world and doing stuff is fun. Combat is meh and end game isn’t worth sticking around for.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    on sale right now for base game for $10 on GmG https://www.greenmangaming.com/games...lls-online-pc/ . plenty of story to get through even without any DLC's.

the game is far from perfect, but if you enjoy elder scrolls games in general, its very decent. I mean... even for all its issues it is my main MMO and has been one for years now, but i'm trying not to oversell it cause there ARE issues.

Anyone trying out the expansion? Saw someone on youtube streaming it and got some oblivion nostalgia and thinking of picking it up. Plus the companion system looks really awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Anyone trying out the expansion? Saw someone on youtube streaming it and got some oblivion nostalgia and thinking of picking it up. Plus the companion system looks really awesome!
    Yeah i bought it but i only had limited time yesterday, i just updated all my addons and did the pre-quest so i can't say anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    zone is quite lovely, oblivion portals and companions are meh. I'm a bit biased, cause I was really looking forward to them but let me put it to you this way... they are less useful then Lydia in Skyrim and far more fickle. one of them hates when you loot bugs (which is all too easy to do by accident even) and likes when you steal but not when you blade of woe. the other hates when you have to craft alcohol for daily writs.

but zone is nice.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd advise going to the main game forums, general forum - and seeing the threads there that discuss how people feel about the expansion - and specifically about the companion system.

If you enjoy the overall gameplay in your past experiences, as poster said 'for nostalgia' then that's still there and the expansion content doesn't really change that - its just new surroundings to do the same sorts of stuff in. If it was entertaining to you before, it probably will be again (depending on why you stopped heh).

If you're thinking the companion system sounds cool - definitely go read the threads - as it is not a system that works the way it does in other games (that have companion systems), nor is it clear the pros/cons of the system from the way the company describes companions. The threads are ACTUALLY informative on that front, I've been reading them myself.

The short of those threads - companions only limitedly useful currently (opinions vary from 'die to everything with an AOE' to 'its not that bad') and certainly do not (yet) mean they can fill out a group purpose if you're running dungeons/group content. More for solo-'overland questing' assistance (and that's debateable). They are a larger grind to level than people expected and, as previous poster mentioned, there are some strange rules/limits on them right now that cause players to lose reputation (levels) for doing normal gameplay activities that everyone feels should NOT be a 'feature' to this system and has really turned many off from trying to use them (whether its a bug, whether that will be changed in the future, who knows - apparently right now you can also lose rep on your companion just from something a group member does that they don't like, etc.).

My take away - companions right now are 'fun fluff extra friend questing' for some, but serve no actual benefit/purpose in most practical cases and can actually be a negative micromanagement hassle to deal with while you're playing (for example: as someone who 'steals' from every container possible while I play for the extra items and gold, the fact that one of them loses rep when you steal would make that a "no point to even try" for me).

So that's why I say - "If companions are the big decider - spend 15 minutes in their main forums - you don't have to register to read them. Several helpful feedback threads there."

If you like the rest of the game and were thinking of diving back in anyway cuz 'new content' - well go for it, and just ignore the companion system if you want. Which is what a chunk of players are also doing right now.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Few months ago I think I've read something about the character animations and / combat being reworked.
    I can't find the article anymore, anyone recall something like this could please give me a link?

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

not sure where you read that. combat reworks are something they are doing constantly, but the only thing they seem to have adjusted as far as animations, or more specifically animation canceling is how block works. arguably its worse now because half the time block doesn't even register, whether they are using it to block or to animation cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    not sure where you read that. combat reworks are something they are doing constantly, but the only thing they seem to have adjusted as far as animations, or more specifically animation canceling is how block works. arguably its worse now because half the time block doesn't even register, whether they are using it to block or to animation cancel.
    I'm not sure, I stopped playing maybe 1 or 2 years ago mostly because I couldn't stand the player animations, like running, jumping, attacking etc and shortly after I've read some kind of roadmap for that year and if I remember correctly there was something about animations or combat.
    But maybe it's the same thing you mentioned.
    I'll download it again and check how is it now.

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Started playing again, and animation cancelling is still a thing sadly, but I try to ignore it for now.
    Maybe I'll try and accept it at a point where it's really necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    Started playing again, and animation cancelling is still a thing sadly, but I try to ignore it for now.
    Maybe I'll try and accept it at a point where it's really necessary.
    Yeah, sadly.

It's why all the classes feel the same for me to play, because all of them have the light attack animation cancel spamming thing going on.

BUT, doing that is not really required in the story content, if that's your focus because it's pretty easy. That said, as annoying and ridiculous looking as it is, the difference in the amount of damage you do with and without doing that is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    BUT, doing that is not really required in the story content, if that's your focus because it's pretty easy.
    Yeah, for now I really enjoy doing the zones and pay attention to the quests, etc.
    Subbed to ESO+ as well so I can access all DLC's.
    I love Blackwood so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    Yeah, for now I really enjoy doing the zones and pay attention to the quests, etc.
    Subbed to ESO+ as well so I can access all DLC's.
    I love Blackwood so far.
    Yeah, the questing in this game is pretty great with stories galore as even seemingly mundane side quests are pretty in-depth.

Subbing for ESO+, IMO, is just about the only way to go. "Free" coins, access to all DLC (except the latest Expansion), crafting materials bag and all the other benefits are more than worth it.

I really like the Companion system. I can now easily solo many world bosses just by tossing a restoration staff to a companion and kitting them out with a couple of healing abilities. Since I only really play ESO on the side during downtime in FFXIV, I don't have the time or the patience to search for a guild to join to find people to team up with - and those that I joined seemed more concerned with giving the illusion of activity instead of actually teaming up with people and doing stuff together.

I hope we get a proper auction house that regular players can access. I strongly dislike the current reliance on guild based sales.

I wondered if companions were good. Being able to do world bosses solo would be nice.

The rest of the game is just so mind-numbingly trivial that I honestly have trouble paying attention to the story or anything. I like a lot of the changes they made to abilities and stuff, but the animation cancelling and weapon system remains terrible.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Yeah, the questing in this game is pretty great with stories galore as even seemingly mundane side quests are pretty in-depth.

Subbing for ESO+, IMO, is just about the only way to go. "Free" coins, access to all DLC (except the latest Expansion), crafting materials bag and all the other benefits are more than worth it.
    When I stopped playing a few years back, ESO+ was a double-edged sword if you liked doing dungeons but you were an average player (like myself, just to be clear). The latter expansions' dungeons on normal where harder than the vanilla heroics and because you were paying ESO+ they were all in the group finder. At some stage for me, and I imagine for others too, it was simply a case of I either stopped doing random dungeons or just drop ESO+ and that was quite an idiotic position for any company to put their customers in. I appreciate that's a discussion with many tangents, but I just wanted to highlight this aspect in relation to ESO+.

If this is not the case anymore, then just ignore all the above

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    The rest of the game is just so mind-numbingly trivial that I honestly have trouble paying attention to the story or anything.
    I guess many players feeling the same way.
    Luckily I'm a great Elder Scrolls fan so I'm more than okay with exploring the zones, and doing things I wanted to do in WoW but I was busy being too much of a hardcore player back then. I really don't miss that playstyle anymore.