Deleted

Crafting and Gathering advice needed

Hello everyone. I've recently started playing FF XIV. I actually bought the game over a year ago but kept going back to WoW! I've recently started playing again, currently levelling a DRG. I'm quite clueless about a few things. I'm wanting to give all the gathering and crating a go eventually. I have tried Googling but not finding the answers.

Basically, as I'm levelling my job all the stuff I loot, including gear, do I keep it or vendor it? Does it have any use for crafting etc. Also, where do I start, a gathering prof? Will my retainers be able to store everything I gather or would I need to do a crafting profession along side it. I have no idea where to start, and also I don't want to plough any gil into it, as I'm just starting up I don't want to spend it all because I don't know the value of gil really, I have 78k so far but I'm guessing that's not much at all!

Thanks for any help in advance.

If you're worried about Gil, you can work on gathering to support it, or you can wait until you unlock the Beast Tribe dailies, in particular the Ixal ones, as they were designed specifically to help level crafting classes. They will supply you all the materials you need to complete the dailies(though some will require you to do lvl 1 gathering in order to complete them). You can then supplement the dailies with activities of choice(leves, Grand Company turn-ins)to help speed up the process.

Everything you gather is going to be used in a profession and a lot of stuff you loot will be used in them as well. However, holding on to everything is an inventory killer.

You have three options for gathering:
    BOT (Botany): Gathering wood and other items (scythe off hand, basically bushes - think herbalism with more additional finds)
    MIN (Mining): Metal ores, stones, and raw gems
    FSH (Fishing): You gather fish. What, you were expecting cloth?!

Botany largely supports Carpentry. The guilds are in Gridania.
    Mining largely supports Armorsmithing, Blacksmithing, Goldsmithing. The guilds for ARM and BSM are in Limsa Lominsa, MIN & GSM are in Ul'dah.
    Fishing primarily supports Culinarian. The guilds are in Limsa Lominsa.

The things you're finding from mobs if it's animal parts - skin, scales, hides, teeth - will support leatherworking (but eventually sending retainers on hunting ventures for these will be easier than farming).

If you want to leisurely get into it, start with gathering - either BOT or MIN and as you gather things, you can start dabbling in the above noted professions that are most reliant on them.

I wouldn't hold on to everything you find. You can sell it. Buying lower components isn't too expensive. If you want to dabble in leatherwork, you could certainly do that.

As for gear, gathering and crafting each have their own separate sets of gear (there are job specific ones, don't worry about those yet).

I definitely recommend dabbling a bit. You probably want to dabble in multiple crafting jobs at once (I'd even do a bit of BOT and MIN together) as you can share gear and upgrade when none of them need it anymore. But don't let it overwhelm you.

As you do other jobs, you can get cross class skills, which become essential for high level crafting, but if you want to be a permanent hobbyist rather than a "pro" crafter, you can make do without all the cross skills.

Also, even at low levels, check the Ixal in North Shroud as their quests will give major xp as well as doing the Grand Company turn ins each day. That will save you a lot of money. Once you're in Heavensward there will eventually be Moogle crafting quests for the same purpose.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-01-17 at 02:28 PM.

Deleted
    Brilliant, thanks very much for the replies it's a big help

One other thing I'll note, if you decide you want to power level any of them, look at the leve quests that are long distance deliveries. In the 40s, I was taking a leve from Limsa Lominsa, buying the turn in item in high quality from the market, and delivering it to Mor Dhona. Each trip was half a level for a single turn in. It was worth spending the money to have a HQ one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    One other thing I'll note, if you decide you want to power level any of them, look at the leve quests that are long distance deliveries. In the 40s, I was taking a leve from Limsa Lominsa, buying the turn in item in high quality from the market, and delivering it to Mor Dhona. Each trip was half a level for a single turn in. It was worth spending the money to have a HQ one.
    Thanks, I think I'll progress with main story for as long as I can them make a start

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty36 View Post
    Thanks, I think I'll progress with main story for as long as I can them make a start
    Also to add to levequests they just got their xp buffed for gathering and crafting till 55