Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    Seems like it got good ratings all over the place. It's more the book fans that are trowing a fit (I am one of them). Just need to repeat to my self while watching "This isn't like the books, its only based on the books, watch it for the cheap entertainment value".

Reading the first book again now, and I kinda understand why they do what they do. Kinda, but mostly not.
    The books are slow, even maybe boring, and would NOT captivate most people. Personally I love that style, but lets be real - people dont have the patience for it, they want action every episode.
    70s are not good ratings when spending 10 million an episode.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    I'm rereading book 1 too, I think there is enough action to compete with the travelling time. I would have loved to see the mob trying to force Moiraine out of Emmonds Field following the Trolloc attack or their escape from Baerlon.
    They even undercut that. The mob forcing her out to being awed and straightening in pride finding out what their ancestors did is hugely important to the later books. The importance of the old blood is enormous later.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    Seems like it got good ratings all over the place.
    So does the "Shannara Chronicles."

- - - Updated - - -

I'm rereading book 1 too, I think there is enough action to compete with the travelling time. I would have loved to see the mob trying to force Moiraine out of Emmonds Field following the Trolloc attack or their escape from Baerlon.
    A perfect moment for a cutscene of fabled Manethren...and with the sparkling chime of a voice that Moiraine is supposed to have, she'd be the perfect narrator.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    The Cycles of the Wheel were never intended to repeat individual stories.
    Do you have any proof? It isn't low effort metaphysical rules. It is simply something you don't like so you find any excuse to discount it even after you already said it is possible to happen. Weird right?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    It's definitely not currently well regarded by critics lol
    You're right, wrong words. I meant widely-acknowledged there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Do you have any proof?
    There you go again lol
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-12-14 at 04:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    There you go again lol
    What is wrong with asking people to prove a claim about something from the books? Are you that upset that I questioned you that you now need to troll any post that asks for claims to be proven? They already admitted it is possible but keep claiming it doesn't work that way, wouldn't you ask for definitive proof in that situation?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Hmf...rumor mill says they want to kerp Rosamund Pike busy for 8 seasons if Amazon keeps the bills paid.

What is wrong with asking people to prove a claim about something from the books?
    Nothing wrong at all. You're just asking proof for something that you know can't be proven, since the author's fucking dead lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmf...rumor mill says they want to kerp Rosamund Pike busy for 8 seasons if Amazon keeps the bills paid.
    https://www.thewrap.com/the-wheel-of...adapted-books/

It isn't a rumor. The show runners plotted out a plan for 8 seasons before the show was picked up by Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing wrong at all. You're just asking proof for something that you know can't be proven, since the author's fucking dead lol
    It could have been stated somewhere in stuff already written. Robert Jordan had extensive notes. It could be something that I haven't personally seen. Like the "casting list" Robert Jordan made for example. I saw that for the first time in this thread. But hey I can't ask questions because you might get upset again or something. Lol.

It could have been stated somewhere in stuff already written. Robert Jordan had extensive notes. It could be something that I haven't personally seen. Like the "casting list" Robert Jordan made for example. I saw that for the first time in this thread. But hey I can't ask questions because you might get upset again or something. Lol.
    You can ask the questions. I'll just point out how you're either pretending to be ignorant just to imply someone is wrong, or willingly ignorant since you aren't bothered to looking into it yourself.

A more nice way to ask it is to ask for a source. When you just straight up ask for proof, all while adding statements that undermine their claims, then you can't exactly pretend to be genuinely curious. It's pretty obvious what you're intentions are, and it's not in finding out something you don't already know. You know it, you refute it, and you even called them out on it.

'It is simply something you don't like so you find any excuse' is not a genuine line of inquiry, lol.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-12-14 at 04:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    A more nice way to ask it is to ask for a source.
    Asking for proof is asking for a source. Stop being salty because I questioned your claims.

Asking for proof is asking for a source. Stop being salty because I questioned your claims.
    Asking for proof while dismissing their claims as being an excuse before they get a chance to provide any answer is being an asshole. Just being clear to you, since you seem to be willingly unaware of that as well.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-12-14 at 04:58 PM.

Things to do when asked to provide proof:

- provide proof

Things not to do when asked to provide proof:

- complain that you didn't get a chance to provide proof, but still not provide any proof

But it's not like it really matters. Even if the WoT books had a sentence in there going "the Wheel continuously spits out new universes with stories in every conceivable configuration" that wouldn't make the show's story one iota better. The problem people who don't like it have is that they don't like what's happening, irrespective of whether or not it's true to the books. That's just a corollary to the process.

As a woman, I absolutely hate the feminist angle. -I agree, it's definitely there.

When I was reading the books, I loved the men as much as the women. It was a nice escape to fantasize about some of them. -Yes, I fall in love with fictional characters, I'm odd, I'll own that. Changing Lan, Abel and to some degree Tam has taken something from me. I understand them wanting to loosen Lan up a bit, but I loved that stoic grunting. -Yes, that probably says more about me than the character.

I also don't like the fact that women seem to be completely independent and taking over everything -in quite an aggressive manner. I do not want to see Siuan sentencing Logain to a miserable existence because he's a man who dared to channel. It loses the nuance.

I did like the relationship between Siuan and Moiraine; it actually felt more fitting than in the books. Whether or not they were knocking boots in the books was immaterial. It was the closeness and utter loyalty to the point both were prepared to give their lives for the cause and in protection of the other.

All in all, I tend to agree the showrunners have cut out the heart of the show and sacrificed it on the altar of woke.

I don't mind them once being lovers either, in the books they are striaght, but they could have fooled around when they were younger, or be bi.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-wheel-of...adapted-books/ It isn't a rumor. The show runners plotted out a plan for 8 seasons before the show was picked up by Amazon.
    Her fate criss-crosses with a few others, and getting them in place after what seems to me, doing away with the sequence of events that leads them to her would take quite a leap of writing skill to do so effectively.
    Mat's story and the Aiel would especially need a book of rewritten material just to do it.
    Tower of Ghenji, 'sacrificing half of the light of the world to save the world,' Noial's fate, and Mat finally recognizing he may actually be a hero... I suppose It won't come as a shock if they toss away the sequence leading to "Dumai's Wells" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Things to do when asked to provide proof:

- provide proof

Things not to do when asked to provide proof:

- complain that you didn't get a chance to provide proof, but still not provide any proof

But it's not like it really matters. Even if the WoT books had a sentence in there going "the Wheel continuously spits out new universes with stories in every conceivable configuration" that wouldn't make the show's story one iota better. The problem people who don't like it have is that they don't like what's happening, irrespective of whether or not it's true to the books. That's just a corollary to the process.
    Asking for proof of something that can't realistically proven is being the "I'm just asking questions!" guy that no one likes.

Not everything is chemistry. It's just being used as sophistry.

Is it reasonable to assume that Amazon wants Wheel of Time to be their GoT since got is 1) fantasy and 2) one of the most successful shows in history? Of course. Can we prove this? Of course not! And asking for it is disingenuous, because even if some Amazon executive said that verbatim someone would just move the goalposts.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Yeh.. going through the book again, I'm like, what's wrong with this, it's got so much more than the series.The suspense is better, so is the mystery, and there is more than enough to keep leading you on to the next episode.

But it's also the little bits, the dialogues, the atmosphere, it's..charming, these caveats make it more than a good adventure, or good thriller, or good epic saga.. it gives it class, comedy too and character.. this is hard.

it's got the personal touch both LotR and GoT lack.

With regard to what it's about it's in between LotR and GoT, it's got more intrigue than LotR, and is more focused on a min plot /direction than GoT, easier to understand and relate.

This could easily be as good as either of those two releases, and if done masterfully could have been better than both. they ruined it to please a bunch of zealot ultra femmes and the current crazy intersectionalism that's going on.

my sister and i loved the book, but even she is appalled by the brashness of the women in the series.. they're way too OTT. It's funny, she loved the men in the books and was looking forward to seeing hot men reprise those roles masterfuly, i loved the women in the book and was looking forward to the finnesse, craftiness and majesty the book portrays them.

I knew this was not as good as the book from before the series started, I still felt the series was good for what it was, but I just can't support it any longer. The males are totally eroded.. when are they going to build them up? I can here my ultra feminist lesbian colleague snigger at me "NEVER!".

Look you can get your ultra fem fantasies and fantasies of all sorts, I like all kinds of shows, shows for what they are. but this isn't what the Wheel of Time is, and it's not some small, obscure title no one's heard off it's famous. Nor are these changes small discreet necessary changes, they are a total re-write of a polished work and very much so inferior to it.. begs the question WHY?

Show runners wanted to use this to preach their message and write their fan fic, I can't htink of any other explanation.

Do you have any proof? It isn't low effort metaphysical rules. It is simply something you don't like so you find any excuse to discount it even after you already said it is possible to happen. Weird right?
    Bridgette talks about it in the books. The stories change, the names change, the conflicts change, but she always eventually ends up with a bow and in love with a short ugly dude as the only constants.

The showrunners themselves kinda shot this idea in the foot with the whole "female dragon" idea. According to them a soul is non-gendered and thus has the potential to be reborn in a male or female body (I guess at random?). But if the Wheel spins out the relatively the same events each time, then a soul is very much gendered...or at least the point is moot when you always get the same rebirths. Which is it?

There's more. According to Robert Jordan's mythos, out of his own mouth "[our Earth] is both [a future and past turn of the wheel.] The characters in the books are the source of many of our myths and legends and we are the source of many of theirs. You can look two ways along a wheel." This creates an odd discrepancy because our current myths and legends don't even have a cursory resemblance to anything from the Third Age, however there are enough hints in the books to suggest that we are currently living in the First Age. How many Ages are there? how many Ages equal a full turn of the Wheel? And how does any of that square with facts of continental drift, clear changes in the Third Age landscape (much due to The Breaking), and modern science ability to predict the age of the planet?

Far as I can tell, the Wheel of Time mythos has only a few constants. Each Age includes a conflict with the Dark One, each Age has an Adversary to the Dark One, and each Age has it's roster of heroes. There's nothing to indicate that anything else remains the same to any degree, not even any Aes Sedai beyond the Dragon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    Bridgette talks about it in the books. The stories change, the names change, the conflicts change, but she always eventually ends up with a bow and in love with a short ugly dude as the only constants.
    Do we know if that is "multiple cycles" or contained with in the "same cycle" but different age. Even your section on mythos from Mr. Jordan indicates it isn't clear. There is no indication that stuff doesn't stay the same. Which means as far as we know it is possible. The portal worlds confirm that it is possible as well. Because a full turning of the wheel would just be one of those "what if's" becoming the main cycle and they have been shown to be both super similar and wildly different.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Is this you?

It can't be multiverse crap if it literally is not a multiverse. The show is taking place in the future or the past from when the books took place. It isn't a multiverse but just the fundamental way the wheel works as created by Robert Jordan.
    So I’m out of the loop because I dropped the show until all the episodes are out but if the show isn’t suppose to be the books but a different turning of the wheel in the book universe wouldn’t that mean that it can only end with them failing as it can’t be the future because they sealed the dark one so he would never come back and they can’t seal the dark one in the past or the books ever happens?

Unless of course the dark one isn’t in the show.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    So I’m out of the loop because I dropped the show until all the episodes are out but if the show isn’t suppose to be the books but a different turning of the wheel in the book universe wouldn’t that mean that it can only end with them failing as it can’t be the future because they sealed the dark one so he would never come back and they can’t seal the dark one in the past or the books ever happens?

Unless of course the dark one isn’t in the show.
    I think you're taking the whole "another turning of the Wheel" thing too literal. It's just a metaphor for the showrunners to explain why things are different, there's no way they're seriously trying to integrate it in an intradiegetic way somehow. Consistency doesn't matter to them, because they're only concerned with the show itself, not with how it fits the mythos.