Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    http://jonpeddie.com/publications/add-in-board-report

Nvidia +2%, AMD -2%

that Vega better be a miracle

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Vega-C...ermin-1229152/

Those who have hoped for a wealth of handy information about Radeon RX Vega as part of the Computex 2017 will unfortunately be disappointed. Raja Koduri, head of the Radeon Technologies Group and actually always for an appearance, was not even on the stage to strike. In addition to unimpressive demonstrations (such as 2x Radeon RX Vega in the Crossfire on a 16-core threadripper system under Prey), AMD CEO Lisa Su confirmed the launch dates for Vega-based graphics cards.

This is the first professional model Radeon Vega Frontier Edition to be shipped from June 27th. AMD has not yet named a price. Players will have to wait a good month longer because the first Radeon-RX-Vega graphics cards will be introduced to SIGGRAPH 2017. This will take place from 30 July to 3 August in Los Angeles. The chip maker spoke explicitly of a "launch", so that at first the first quotas should be available promptly. Reviews are also expected at the date.

The board partners at the Computex meanwhile look through that there will initially be only reference designs and should follow custom custom designs. Whether AMD again wants to offer a model with compact water cooling, no one could say yet. The manufacturer already showed the Frontier Edition with one. Likewise under the hand the obvious was confirmed: The beginning will exclusively Vega 10 make. Medium-class models with the smaller Vega-11 GPU are not expected until the end of 2017, probably next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    they show any direct 4K gaming becnhmarks ?

- - - Updated - - -

ok so apparently they showed a Prey Demo at 4K, unknown settings, on 2x Vegas (!) but no FPS counter

a single 1080Ti does up to 80 fps in Prey 4K max graphics I believe

that doesnt look so good, if the perf were better then they would have showed more stuff I think .. a different game/more games, an fps counter, no dual GPUs

/sigh, such a contrast between their CPUs and GPUs atm, Intel is scrambling, while Nvidia just walks all over them
    I think the demo was, in part, to show off Threadripper and multiple GFX cards. In other words, to show off the limitations of the Intel HEDT CPU lanes.

7900X and above have 44 lanes, meaning they can use 2x GPUs at full x16 speed, same as Threadripper .. if they wanted to show off their 64 lanes then they should have used 4 GPUs I guess

and afaik more then 2 GPUs is not supported for games at all these days (2x already has mediocre support, but above 2 is basically non-existent)

either way Raja promised gaming Vega info at Computex, and there was pretty much nothing

the worst part now is we might need to wait till end of July not just for Vega launch, but even for tangible info on it

- - - Updated - - -

so apparently with current drivers 2x RX Vegas can manage "about 60 fps" in Prey 4K
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-05-31 at 08:23 PM.

so apparently with current drivers 2x RX Vegas can manage "about 60 fps" in Prey 4K
    Already comfirmed by Raja to be a typo and he meant to write above.

have a link ?

above 60 would mean up to 69 fps then ? cause if it were above 70 then he would say 70 I guess

1080Ti does between 60 and 80 avg fps @ 4K depending on where you look/what is benchmarked

still a bad way to showcase Vegas perf, pretty much all reception on the forums is pure dissapointment, 0 hype

plus like I said now we dont even know if we'll get any more performance info until the actual launch 2 months later

10+ Year Old Account

above 60 would mean up to 69 fps then ? cause if it were above 70 then he would say 70 I guess
    That seems like a silly assumption to me. Seems obvious to me they say 60 because that is what 4k monitors show.

I really hope I can get 1080 performance for like $340. Otherwise this wait is worthless and I will have to buy another nvidia card... I really don't want to. I hate supporting that company but in the end I will do what is best for me of course.
    Last edited by mojo6912; 2017-06-01 at 04:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So fill me in, when Another Motherf Delay Vega DoA Edition coming out now? Wasn't it supposed to be Q2?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    End of July it is then.. Which pretty much means, that the drivers still aren't ready. And/or they are waiting for HBM2 pricing.
    Why would it be end of July? It's as likely to be August or September, imho.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm dearly hoping the fastest Vega is around 1080Ti or more in performance. While priced a bit lower. We need a bit of competition going on.

I won't be buying it though, got a 1080 about a year ago and feel no real need to upgrade yet, not using 4k at the moment as I jumped on the Ultrawide ship.

I'll likely upgrade towards the middle/end of next year, hopefully Navi is on time and performs well so I can choose between Volta/Navi.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Why would it be end of July? It's as likely to be August or September, imho.
    Because they specifically said end of July. What will happen then is anyones guess, but end of July is all we know.

AMD has a lot technical issues.
    The chip is not as powerful as Nvidia, and uses lots of power.

However, the company is not as greedy as Nvidia.

Deleted
    Hmm, so Apple is using Vega GPUs for its Imac pros, so thats going to be bulk of the GPUs destination.

Deleted
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12202976

3d mark score for the 16GB Vega FE
    Not sure if its real, did you check the CPU used?

' Intel Core i7-6700HQ '

Thats a mobile chip, the Imac pro isn't using mobile chips, its using Xeons.

its an unidentified AMD GPU with 1600 Mhz and 16GB - thats exactly Vega FE

cards can be hooked up to a laptop externally

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't you get that score on an overclocked RX 580?

Probably next year since they continue the boneheaded idea of hbm2 having to be a part of their gpu architecture. That is one of a couple mistakes AMD keeps making. Like how all the miners bought all the 580's in existence so they lose market share to nvidia when it comes to gpu used for gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the mining front, both sides actually may be getting hit hard. Zcash may become predominantly Nvidia card mining and Ethereum AMD card mining.

I hate bitcoins and mining