Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Being realistic: What changes will happen?

Although a lot of players are advocating for no changes at all, i'm sure Blizzard will changes things. And i'm not talking about lfd/lfr, transmog or other things along those lines.

I talk about things like, widescreen monitor support, high resolution monitor support, dx9/10/11 support. Compatibility with Windows 10, multi-core cpu usage and other stuff. I don't see people talking about those changes.

Or are people of the opinion that even those things shouldn't be changed?

in-game and automated support

things like the 2-hour loot trading timeframe, or anything that reduces support costs

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrif View Post
    Although a lot of players are advocating for no changes at all, i'm sure Blizzard will changes things. And i'm not talking about lfd/lfr, transmog or other things along those lines.

I talk about things like, widescreen monitor support, high resolution monitor support, dx9/10/11 support. Compatibility with Windows 10, multi-core cpu usage and other stuff. I don't see people talking about those changes.

People dont talk about those things because they dont change gameplay in any way

More to the point Im almost certain they use updated character models, we will probably see class tuning (maybe very slight, probably behind the scenes), interface upgrades. You know things that dont change the experience of gameplay in a big way but I think it will be very close to actual vanilla.

As always the zelots will be pissed on both sides and everyone else in the middle will be fine. I dont care either way I will play it

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't we have this exact topic a few weeks back, and a month back, and 2 months back, and....

Well, this will end well *gets popcorn*
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    People dont talk about those things because they dont change gameplay in any way

More to the point Im almost certain they use updated character models, we will probably see class tuning (maybe very slight, probably behind the scenes), interface upgrades. You know things that dont change the experience of gameplay in a big way but I think it will be very close to actual vanilla.

As always the zelots will be pissed on both sides and everyone else in the middle will be fine. I dont care either way I will play it
    actually people do talk about things that don't even touch gameplay in the slightest, like the updated character models. Or some are even upset about updated shadows.

15+ Year Old Account
    Character models is an entirely different beast.

Character models directly ties into the game's nostalgia and history - upgraded hardware support does not.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by rewhaha View Post

things like the 2-hour loot trading timeframe, or anything that reduces support costs
    I'm fairly certain this will happen. They are not going to maintain 2 support teams so it'll be one WoW support team for both games with the same support policy. I expect self-help item restoration and automated guild leadership transfer (along with the modern guild structure) will be in as well.
    If players ticket for lost items in Classic WoW, I expect they will get the same answer as Legion WoW which is to direct them to the self help page and that the GMs no longer assist in item restoration (I suspect that item restoration capability was probably removed from GM tools since the automated system can handle it).
    Last edited by darkfire979; 2018-03-06 at 04:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on where they start. If they start at 1.12 then likely very few with respect to gameplay. The further back you go the more likely you are to see adjustments.

Having to make it work on modern infrastructure is likely to introduce a few things and it wouldn't surprise me much if they set it up for modern PC hardware like landscape monitors.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2018-03-06 at 04:29 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

the interface API and any UI improvements to the modern game that a mod could have done in Vanilla will be in.

I.E. they aren't going to use two different version of the Mod API - itll be the same as the live client.

And, if there was a feature that a mod provided in Vanilla, or was -capable- of providing, that is part of the standard UI now, that will stay in (because there's no reason not to, if someone could just write a mod to do it.) So, things like gear sets, etc, will remain in. A mod could do it then, so the standard UI that does it now will just remain.

It wont use the old graphics engine, but MAY use the old models (as that is likely just a swap of which file to load).
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2018-03-06 at 05:05 AM.

Deleted
    I see a couple of changes that I believe they will implement:

- Focus target
    - Macro system
    - PvP trinket to cancel all "loss of control effects" (you can't trinket sap, blind etc.)

7+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down

almost certain they use updated character models, we will probably see class tuning (maybe very slight, probably behind the scenes)
    No and no.

models
    Last time seen here. Old models will be in Classic because it's Classic, and if they put toggle for them, than they'll break own promise - classic experience. Because same display of shared world and presence of old models are part of gameplay and experience of Classic. The fact that they broke and ignore it in retail doesn't mean that such behavior is true (it never was graphical settings, implementation was wrong from the beginning), they simply decided to ignore this, it's more convenient for them. But Classic isn't where their convenience is important, but facts, rules, game bases and their promise to reckon with this are important.

...they still can introduce new models without violating rules as part of character customization, but I don't think they can or even should

class tuning
    Oh, please... it's not even funny already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    API will probably change, agreed. The vanilla API is incredibly laxed, you can almost run a bot inside the game.
    I think that API isn't the only good thing that can be borrowed from retail version. For example: game files system, which allows you to protect client information from external changes. Such ones. This will also include protection from exploits type of Tmorph offers.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2018-03-06 at 08:01 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

They are still changes. By saying #nochanges people are saying that they don't want them, which is unfortunate.

5+ Year Old Account

1. Vanilla already supports widescreen. I play on a private vanilla server in patch 1.12.1 with 1920x1080 resolution. No black bars. No wierd aspect ratios. It simply works.
    2. Vanilla already works in Windows10. I play on Windows10.
    3. Vanilla already "sort-of" supports multi CPU in the back-end, you have to enable it with console commands though.

All that being said, sure there is probably refinement that can be done for optimal software/hardware flow.

Quote Originally Posted by rewhaha View Post

This is how loot-hostage situations occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    the interface API and any UI improvements to the modern game that a mod could have done in Vanilla will be in.

I.E. they aren't going to use two different version of the Mod API - itll be the same as the live client.

And, if there was a feature that a mod provided in Vanilla, or was -capable- of providing, that is part of the standard UI now, that will stay in (because there's no reason not to, if someone could just write a mod to do it.) So, things like gear sets, etc, will remain in. A mod could do it then, so the standard UI that does it now will just remain.

It wont use the old graphics engine, but MAY use the old models (as that is likely just a swap of which file to load).
    API will probably change, agreed. The vanilla API is incredibly laxed, you can almost run a bot inside the game.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    1. Vanilla already supports widescreen. I play on a private vanilla server in patch 1.12.1 with 1920x1080 resolution. No black bars. No wierd aspect ratios. It simply works.
    2. Vanilla already works in Windows10. I play on Windows10.
    3. Vanilla already "sort-of" supports multi CPU in the back-end, you have to enable it with console commands though.

All that being said, sure there is probably refinement that can be done for optimal software/hardware flow.

This is how loot-hostage situations occur.

Thats not a probably; they already flat out confirmed it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Thats not a probably; they already flat out confirmed it.
    Yeah, pretty much. Classic will likely run in the same client as Legion but with a different server-tab.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

None of those - I just bought an old used 14" CRT monitor, a fairly preserved DSL modem 56K, building my Pentium III PC and Windows XP(last one was really hard to find). Just looking for some dated microsoft keyboard and mouse to complete my true vanilla experience, I dont want anything like high resolution, widescreen, Windows10, etc. #nochanges

10+ Year Old Account
    Modern Battlenet integration, current hardware support including 4K.

15+ Year Old Account
    Almost certainly:
    - Added as an option to the existing World of Warcraft tab in the launcher (like the pre-release and tournament realms are now).
    - Battle.net social integration (see #1)
    - CASC file format for patching and distribution (see #1)
    - Automated support for item recovery, item trading and guild leader migration.
    - Fixes for game breaking bugs (such as wall-walking).

Expecting:
    - Optional updated graphics options, models and animations.
    - Overhauled macro and LUA APIs.
    Last edited by Hottage; 2018-03-06 at 01:10 PM.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Group Finder.
    WoW tokens.
    Updated Graphics.
    Guild Banks.

These are all pretty much certainties. I think anything that doesn't affect class balance is very likely. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Classic shipped with every zone level scaled.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ydraw View Post
    Group Finder.
    WoW tokens.
    Updated Graphics.
    Guild Banks.

These are all pretty much certainties. I think anything that doesn't affect class balance is very likely. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Classic shipped with every zone level scaled.
    Group Finder - By god I hope not.
    WoW tokens - I doubt it. Isnt the main objective of them to combat inflation? Inflation wont be as big of an issue in vanilla as with later expansions
    Updated Graphics - Possibly due to using the same client. I hope not though, or atleast make it optional.
    Guild Banks - Quite possible. I am all for #NoChanges but I would understand their reasoning for adding it.