It's here folks

Looks more like The Hobbit in terms of visual aesthetics--quite a lot of CGI. Still, I can't say I'm not psyched. Have my reservations though...

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    It's here folks

Looks more like The Hobbit in terms of visual aesthetics--quite a lot of CGI. Still, I can't say I'm not psyched. Have my reservations though...
    If its a mess, it will at least be a pretty (and very expensive) mess.

The trailer looks very bland.

Evil cannot create anything new, they can only corrupt and ruin what good forces have invented or made - JRR Tolkien

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The trailer tells you nothing, it just looks lame.

Well, I certainly enjoyed the comments under that trailer more than the trailer itself. Wouldn't have recognized this as Lord of the Rings if it didn't say so in the title.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2022-02-14 at 03:31 AM.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Argh, so it's a prequel? "Before the hobbit. Before the king." Like shit that happened back then was exciting. Should just market it as "before anything important happened." Unless it's the Silmarillion, I don't care about a prequel of Middle-Earth.

It looks good, but obviously still all about the writing... and I'm skeptical. There's very little evidence that tv writers can create a good fantasy plotline without books to guide them. "Galadriel, action hero" is a hard no for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Argh, so it's a prequel? "Before the hobbit. Before the king." Like shit that happened back then was exciting. Should just market it as "before anything important happened." Unless it's the Silmarillion, I don't care about a prequel of Middle-Earth.
    Series on Silmarillion could be real good. Lots of big plot to chew through.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2022-02-14 at 03:43 AM.

We don't have a dislike count anymore, but we have YT comments that all say the same thing.

...and it shall oft be repeated before this scourge finally descends upon us later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    We don't have a dislike count anymore, but we have YT comments that all say the same thing.

...and it shall oft be repeated before this scourge finally descends upon us later this year.
    I'm sure big tech and an army of so-called journalists got Amazon covered until then.

- - - Updated - - -

The contrast between this and the Peter Jackson movies in terms of pure visuals is so stark that it's actually astonishing.

In the Lord of the Rings movies you don't need to see pointy ears to figure out that you're looking at an Elf. In this show on the other hand, even looking directly at Galadriel's ears in a close-up shot doesn't fully convince me that I'm actually looking at an Elf. What bad joke this is.

There's absolutely nothing worthwhile about this overproduced, overfunded piece of garbage.

I predict that the comments section will be turned off, or thousands of comments will mysteriously vanish.

7+ Year Old Account
    Still doesn't give me the Lord of the rings vibe, i can't put my finger on it, maybe because they are going full on CGI, and we knew lord of the rings as low budget?

And everyone look human to me, looks more like game of thrones season 9

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    In the Lord of the Rings movies you don't need to see pointy ears to figure out that you're looking at an Elf. In this show on the other hand, even looking directly at Galadriel's ears in a close-up shot doesn't fully convince me that I'm actually looking at an Elf. What bad joke this is.
    So it wasn't just me, all of the elves look like human cosplaying and only one dwarf i saw who rly gave the dwarf vibe

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    So it wasn't just me, all of the elves look like human cosplaying and only one dwarf i saw who rly gave the dwarf vibe
    Yeah "cosplay" is an apt description. It boggles my mind how a billion dollar TV production can look this cheap.

Yeah "cosplay" is an apt description. It boggles my mind how a billion dollar TV production can look this cheap.
    I blame the CW. They elevated this whole "people really just want to watch hot actors, who cares about clothes and effects" shtick to a new level. WoT was the same, they looked like a Beverly Hills 90210 LARP session.

It looks pretty - but that is about all that it has going for it. I wouldn't say it looks cosplay, because a lot of cosplay looks far better than this. And, yeah, I agree that the elves don't look like elves unless you see the ears. Galadriel just looks like a human.

I guess they are hoping the spectacle of the CGI while blind people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I certainly enjoyed the comments under that trailer more than the trailer itself. Wouldn't have recognized this as Lord of the Rings if it didn't say so in the title.
    Same. I thought it was Wheel of Time at first.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Maybe people should stop blaming women and POC for shitty writing. The two are very different things and really have fuck all to do with each other. Unless you think white male characters are the only ones that can be written well… in which case, see my other comment you replied to.
    It's not that people blame women and POC. There are plenty of white men to blame. Look at Rian Johnson for one blatant example. They are blaming crappy writers for shoe-horning women and POC into roles where they don't fit.

Like if someone said Wakanda should reflect the current population of the U.S. and had a mix of Hispanics & Asians while being majority white. You can say "skin color shouldn't matter", but it would have distracted me and taken me out of the movie. I wouldn't have liked it and it's not because I hate white people.

If they replaced Snow White and the Evil Queen with a couple dudes, I would say it's a bad idea, and it's not because I hate men.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

ESO cinematics will have better elves than this hundred million dollar thing lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k-XXN8sFMA
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

It looks a bit too clean, a sort of Hobbit+ - LOTR had that film grain and the world looked lived in, every little set piece had decades and centuries of grime (story) on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m just seeing the same quote over and over, mostly in Russian…

And the few that aren’t that, are just people bitching about SJW shit being added in and canceling their Prime because of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m not at all bothered by there being a black elf in the show. I can happily ignore the whole history of them being "fair skin" cause I just don’t give a fuck, tbh. What I take issue with, is that the actor, imo, doesn’t look like an elf. He just doesn’t look elegant and nimble, nor does he have the beautiful long hair… his features just don’t look correct for an elf.

I don’t think they got the right looking actor for that role.
    I honestly don't think they cared enough to put in the effort to cast actors that fit their roles. When you get a blank check you cut as many corners as you can for your own cashout.