Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can't move out of telegraphed attacks

I'm on the free version of FFXIV.

I find that I am having a hard time moving out of the telegraphed attacks.

Yes, I have horrible, terrible latency. 700-1000ms. Yes, satellite internet.

However, even after being out of the AoE for 2-3 full seconds, it still registers a hit.

I never had this trouble with WoW.

Is FF bugged some way? I did read a few threads where people had complained about taking damage after moving out of the way in time, even with low pings.

So is this some sort of issue FF is having? Even at a whopping 1000 ms, that still is plenty of time to move and still I am taking damage.

Unless the game has changed since I last played. Telegraphed attacks register your potion on the cast finishing, not landing. So you have to be out of the red circle prior to it going away. Some abilities were very hard to get out of as well.

With 700-1k MS I somehow find that hard to believe you were having zero issue in WoW.

But with FF14 it registers the attack literally just as the cast ends. Like on the bubble rather than when the telegraph disappears.

My honest advice. Upgrade your internet if you can. 700-1K MS is just unplayable for any MMO.

I don't play anymore and I never played at a high level but I did very much notice that if I didn't move from telegraphs immediately I would get hit if I was still in it for the last second or so. Could be lag, could be how they want it to work, either way I started moving out as early as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloopbleep View Post
    Unless the game has changed since I last played. Telegraphed attacks register your potion on the cast finishing, not landing. So you have to be out of the red circle prior to it going away. Some abilities were very hard to get out of as well.
    If you were EU that's because those servers used to be in NA. So you always had like 80MS naturally.

It still registers as it does but it's way more lenient for EU players.

you sir/madam are a paragon of patience and remaining calm, i would of set fire to my PC years ago with that ms.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    With 700-1k MS I somehow find that hard to believe you were having zero issue in WoW.
    I had to be on the quick, but was usually able to avoid those attacks.

But with FF14 it registers the attack literally just as the cast ends. Like on the bubble rather than when the telegraph disappears.
    I just checked it again. 2-3 seconds outside the telegraph and it still registers a hit.

My honest advice. Upgrade your internet if you can. 700-1K MS is just unplayable for any MMO.
    Often in rural America, satellite internet is the only internet option. No one chooses satellite on purpose.

FFXIV engine is appalling, you have to be slightly forward thinking. Ie like for example if a mechanic lands in 5 seconds on WoW, you can start doing x with 2 seconds left and play the mechanic. On FFXIV by then especially with latency it's already too late.
    RIP ArenaJunkies

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    FFXIV engine is appalling, you have to be slightly forward thinking. Ie like for example if a mechanic lands in 5 seconds on WoW, you can start doing x with 2 seconds left and play the mechanic. On FFXIV by then especially with latency it's already too late.
    Not really. In FFXIV, it's determined whether or not a telegraph will hit you if you are standing in the telegraph when the cast bar ends. NOT when the telegraph disappears or the attack actually goes off. Yes, very high latency can screw with this a bit but that happens in all MMO's. There's nothing wrong with FFXIV's system.

That said, you are not playing MMO's on satellite internet. Might as well give it up. Dialup is better for games.

I also play on a satmodem. Where I live it's the only real broadband option. My advice, don't bother trying to do raid content or EX trials, you're just asking for the game to piss you off and other people you're grouped with. I'm sure people think I'm horrible in MSQ dungeons and trials, but I can't be bothered to care, as I only do them when I'm forced to by the story. The rest of the time I focus on solo content, Hunts and other things like the Deep Dungeon/Frontlines/Eureka for Tomestones, which is the best gear I can get. I have no problem with that being my endgame, I enjoy what I can the best I can. Long as you feel it's worth your money, keep playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Not really. In FFXIV, it's determined whether or not a telegraph will hit you if you are standing in the telegraph when the cast bar ends. NOT when the telegraph disappears or the attack actually goes off. Yes, very high latency can screw with this a bit but that happens in all MMO's. There's nothing wrong with FFXIV's system.

That said, you are not playing MMO's on satellite internet. Might as well give it up. Dialup is better for games.
    It's even worse in PvP combat. If someone takes damage at the same time they're healed, the damage is taken into account first. Ain't ideal when you ED someone on 4k hp and they die anyway and then you see the ED land.
    RIP ArenaJunkies

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    I also play on a satmodem. Where I live it's the only real broadband option. My advice, don't bother trying to do raid content or EX trials, you're just asking for the game to piss you off and other people you're grouped with. I'm sure people think I'm horrible in MSQ dungeons and trials, but I can't be bothered to care, as I only do them when I'm forced to by the story. The rest of the time I focus on solo content, Hunts and other things like the Deep Dungeon/Frontlines/Eureka for Tomestones, which is the best gear I can get. I have no problem with that being my endgame, I enjoy what I can the best I can. Long as you feel it's worth your money, keep playing.
    I'm not really interested in hardcore raiding or anything like that. In WoW, all I did were very low level mythic dungeons and LFR raid. Good enough for me.

idk what the dungeons and raiding is like in FF. Guess I'll find out.

I did change jobs to Archer. At least so far it lets me move around a lot, so I have a better chance of avoiding those telegraphed attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    I'm not really interested in hardcore raiding or anything like that. In WoW, all I did were very low level mythic dungeons and LFR raid. Good enough for me.

idk what the dungeons and raiding is like in FF. Guess I'll find out.

I did change jobs to Archer. At least so far it lets me move around a lot, so I have a better chance of avoiding those telegraphed attacks.
    BRD is what I main for that very reason. Being able to stay mobile and at range and not have to deal with combo mechanics makes it a very fun job to play, IMO.

I find the "problem" with 14's telegraphs is simply because you're position is server based NOT client based.

IE: if ur lagging a bit, then you may see your character walk to safety out of a telegraph...only for then to fall dead in the spot anyway. This is because when the server decides the skill has gone off, it hadn't "seen" you move that bit further forward (this is most likely due to lag), so kills you. I think it's programmed to avoid rubber banding, which is why you just die instead of bouncing back to where it thinks you where.

I've found that, for me at least, I usually need to keep running for at least an extra second outside of a telegraph to be sure the game actually records me as being safe.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I find the "problem" with 14's telegraphs is simply because you're position is server based NOT client based.

How would your position even be recorded on the client side of an online game? I feel like if that were ever the case it would be exploited maliciously.

My mistake was counting the time to the actual attack. Seems that there is a delay between the telegraph disappearing from the ground and the actual hit taking place.

If I count the time from the telegraph disappearing, it shrinks down to about the latency time. So I need to just move around a bit more. I've done a dungeon and some guildleves (I think that is what they are called) and I have found I can keep out of trouble for the most part.

Wonder what raiding is like..........

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    My mistake was counting the time to the actual attack. Seems that there is a delay between the telegraph disappearing from the ground and the actual hit taking place.

If I count the time from the telegraph disappearing, it shrinks down to about the latency time. So I need to just move around a bit more. I've done a dungeon and some guildleves (I think that is what they are called) and I have found I can keep out of trouble for the most part.

Wonder what raiding is like..........
    Generally in raiding, where telegraphs are often death, most people I raid with mentally consider their position (and health!) to be snapshotted a half-second before the castbar ends. It's not because that's actually how it works, but once you take ping into account and the penalty for being wrong, it's better safe than sorry. This is especially critical if you're trying to time a defensive ability, since those have a short delay before activating, and if you try and cut it close you WILL miss the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Generally in raiding, where telegraphs are often death, most people I raid with mentally consider their position (and health!) to be snapshotted a half-second before the castbar ends. It's not because that's actually how it works, but once you take ping into account and the penalty for being wrong, it's better safe than sorry. This is especially critical if you're trying to time a defensive ability, since those have a short delay before activating, and if you try and cut it close you WILL miss the window.
    How long do the telegraphs last? Out in the world (my only experience) is that some are phenomenally quick. Others can last a long time.

If a telegraph only lasts for a second, I'm doomed. (My latency is 700-1000ms, depending on how much traffic there is.)

If however, like World of Warcraft, boss telegraphs are something along the line of 2-3 seconds, that's easy enough to avoid with experience.

It's because WoW's servers update (tick) in partial seconds (i forget what it is exactly but it's .5 seconds or less) while FFXIV's servers tick every 2.5-3 seconds. It allows for cool things like slidecasting, but also REALLY messes with telegraphs if you have latency (or just don't move the minute they appear).

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's because WoW's servers update (tick) in partial seconds (i forget what it is exactly but it's .5 seconds or less) while FFXIV's servers tick every 2.5-3 seconds. It allows for cool things like slidecasting, but also REALLY messes with telegraphs if you have latency (or just don't move the minute they appear).
    Oh really? I had read some complaints from others about problems with telegraphing. I can't believe their servers take that long to update, but they do seem to require more back-and-forth that WoW. (I've noticed a lot of delay between a kill and quest credit, or interactions for quests.)