Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Stadia Stadia Stadia

First off, my apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum.

Have any of you heard of Google's new gaming platform Stadia? It seems like very unique addition and solution to online gaming.

Please share your thoughts and criticism in the form of a poem.

Be advised: This thread is for cool guys only.

iam not a cool guy but what the fuck is stadia?

Iam sure i could google but then i could google the meaning of life and get a shit ton of answers plus iam not really that interested.

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, with a lot effort and good network can replace a console.

For PC gaming is suboptimal and probably will never be a thing.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

Quote Originally Posted by bgdfahrq View Post
    iam not a cool guy but what the fuck is stadia?

Iam sure i could google but then i could google the meaning of life and get a shit ton of answers plus iam not really that interested.
    Reported.

The rules state only cool guys allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Reported.

The rules state only cool guys allowed.
    Well i guess my mom says iam cool if that counts

*lets not derail this unless you want this thread to stay open.

TBH what actually is Stadia and why is it something that i should know about?

10+ Year Old Account
    I anticipate it won't work very well for many, despite their likely great effort to make sure that it will.

It's just too much data coupled with the requirement of no latency.

Like.. it will either revolutionize gaming (for the worse in every single aspect compared to having the hardware and owning the games yourself), or they will abandon the concept like they do with so many projects of theirs.

I have mixed feelings about it, and I have my doubts it is going to be anything other than a gimmick in the end.

its googles go at a game streaming platform, like playstation now or the xcloud from microsoft.

Google announces Stadia, its streaming game platform, in an effort to upend the $140 billion video game industry

Google on Tuesday announced its plans to upend the $140 billion gaming industry dominated by Sony and Microsoft with a new streaming service called Stadia that allows people to play high-end games without purchasing expensive consoles or computers. Google said this is a "game platform for everyone."

All of the legwork to render those games is done in Google's cloud.

Google explained a bit about how it will work. The company said that if someone is watching a video of a game on YouTube, they could hit a button that says "play now" and jump right into playing the game themselves in as fast as five seconds. Today, gamers have to buy physical games or wait, often hours, for the game to download before they can play. Even then, they also need special hardware to play those games. ....
    source

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I am not cool enough, no cartridges no buy :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Cloud gaming is an idea from people who have never played a video game in their life. Also if you think a controller can reduce input lag then you're a moron. It's not even physically possible. Latency is the product of distance and you'd have to break the speed of light to fix it, or move the servers closer to you. So unless Google's controller can move the servers closer it's just techno babble.

Well i guess my mom says iam cool if that counts

*lets not derail this unless you want this thread to stay open.

hey, relacks guy.

You were cool the moment you walked into my thread.

my personal thoughts: its the ultimate "always online DRM" that many many many people disliked in a lot of games ...

and from a technical standpoint, for a lot of games the latency just simply disqualifies them from ever being playable on the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    its googles go at a game streaming platform, like playstation now or the xcloud from microsoft.

source
    I see

This does sound interesting and i wonder if it will actually take off or just crash and burn.

Thanks for the reply

- - - Updated - - -

hey, relacks guy.

You were cool the moment you walked into my thread.
    Thats all i ever needed to hear.

Anyway back on track

My thoughts is the way things are evolving i doubt this will worry Sony or Microsoft too much at least not now.

It seems like very unique addition and solution to online gaming.
    I like your sarcasm. Now we just got to wait for Amazon to announce theirs

Though unlike Nvidia, Microsoft and Sony. They have way larger reach and infrastructure to back it up, so it might be the first one to be half decent.

BBC has an article up about this and how it might affect gaming companies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47634263

Particularly like this bit...

On YouTube, one of the stats that determines how much ad revenue creators get is "minutes watched”. In gaming, "minutes played” could lead to some developers introducing gameplay mechanics that are counter-intuitive to a good time, but vital if they are to gain income.

I saw a bit from it, the way i understood it is that you don't install anything on any device, it's installed in the cloud or whatever it is and you just access it from any device phone , pc , tablet etc . So like your steam library with all your games installed but you actualy have none on your actual devices. Also the specs don't matter somehow. So you can play high graphics game on the cheapest of PCs . Sounds good if maybe a bit too overpromising. Also *flashes cool guy badge

Well it could change Game rental. You could try out a game for a fraction of the price or with a subscription albeit with decreased performance. But you wouldn't have to commit to ownership.

Also in the extended videos they talk about how this technology would allow 1000 players to connect at the same rate 100 players connect traditionally. Imagine a 100-man AV with the same latency as a 40.

Well it could change Game rental. You could try out a game for a fraction of the price or with a subscription albeit with decreased performance. But you wouldn't have to commit to ownership.

Also in the extended videos they talk about how this technology would allow 1000 players to connect at the same rate 100 players connect traditionally. Imagine a 100-man AV with the same latency as a 40.
    As others have pointed out, the most likely way that the success of a game will be measured with this system is minutes played, which will undoubtably push comppanies towards adding extremly time-consuming mechanics. You think WoW is pushing the limit with stretching content now? Wait until they charge you by the minute.

wouldn't the parallel be 400-man AV wit the latency of 40?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

25mpbs is not a lot so ya it will be fine for those who can use it. Also it only adds about 6ms on average if they have done it similar to parsec or rainway.