Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    How high could the total number of Classic players be? BFA launched smoothly with 3.3 million players in the first 24 hours, with virtually no queues, crashes or anything like that. Yet Classic cannot cope with the sheer volume of players despite abusing the layering system and doing countless strategies to ensure a smooth run. So there must be even more players now on Classic than there was at BFA launch.

Queues to get into servers are upwards of tens of thousands, there are millions of viewers on streams across Twitch and all the Asian platforms, and it isn't even prime time in many countries yet.

Do you think it's possible that there are at least 5 million players in Classic right now? I wouldn't be surprised if it was even more than that to be honest. What are your thoughts?

NOTE: this is NOT a Classic vs. Retail bash thread, but a thread to get a gauge on the total number of players in Classic. Please focus on Classic.
    around 980 million people play classic
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

Hard to compare a 25 server launch to 300-400 server launch with people more spread out. I admit I was most likely wrong with 400-500k at launch, 1 mill more likely last night.

Bfa has the convenience of spreading us out across 200+ dead realms compared to the full ones or the full ones of classic.

Although I admit it has been since vanilla since I’ve seen a queue even half as bad as Herod is.

How high could the total number of Classic players be? BFA launched smoothly with 3.3 million players in the first 24 hours, with virtually no queues, crashes or anything like that. Yet Classic cannot cope with the sheer volume of players despite abusing the layering system and doing countless strategies to ensure a smooth run. So there must be even more players now on Classic than there was at BFA launch.

Queues to get into servers are upwards of tens of thousands, there are millions of viewers on streams across Twitch and all the Asian platforms, and it isn't even prime time in many countries yet.

Do you think it's possible that there are at least 5 million players in Classic right now? I wouldn't be surprised if it was even more than that to be honest. What are your thoughts?

NOTE: this is NOT a Classic vs. Retail bash thread, but a thread to get a gauge on the total number of players in Classic. Please focus on Classic.
    No. Layering is not the same as sharding. Sharding practically puts you on another server that is not under too much load. So even if BFA had 20 million players, it would still most likely have been smooth.

Again with queues. Ever since Legion, your server is just a detail, merely a place where your data is stored, you're actually playing on other servers, hence the no queues.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Can we report this thread for trolling?
    yes, did you?
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

Layering and sharing are very similar. With the difference that on layering you don't phase out when crossing zones or when shard gets full. New players gets simply moved to newly created layer when all old ones are full.

Also you are misunderstanding how server works because sever is just that, one machine that redirects all the work to clusters as it sees fit. Clusters are the ones doing heavy lifting (Or more precisely - cluster nodes).

If you are interested in how typical MMO handles server stuff you can find some info about it here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/com..._architecture/
    Last edited by kaminaris; 2019-08-27 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Yes. Was there any doubt?
    yes

i reported it too btw
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

I don't get the "Queues are so high!" yeah on like 4 realms....there are some 10 realms in EU that are low-medium pop and they don't have queues for logging in and didn't have last night.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I don't get the "Queues are so high!" yeah on like 4 realms....there are some 10 realms in EU that are low-medium pop and they don't have queues for logging in and didn't have last night.
    It's the usual logic of "I NEED to be on the biggest realm, because I am the most important. Everyone ELSE needs to go to the new realms". I had no queues at all after EU launch (world server down though...), but those who flock to the first three servers are doing this to themselves.

15+ Year Old Account
    It’s likely on day one you have almost as many people trying to log into classic that are currently subscribed if only to see what it’s like.

They’re doing so on less than 20% of the retail servers, so, long queues.

There’s just no way that classic is going to be limited to the current server number, it’s going to go up.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I would guess classic to be, 600.000 tops.
    600k when the worst reported ques for a single server is 40k alone?

I didn't see a major issue with the launch. A few server drops that were rapidly brought back up happened. Ques were huge and number of servers was an issue but thats life. A lot of that will be fix with a few days because not everyone will be trying to log on at the first second and playtimes will spread out more as people that take off from work and 24 hour plus people fade away.

So sure, it could have gone perfect. You are right about that. But it really didn't go horribly.

You realise that there were like 5 realms for classic and hundreds for retail? BFA didn't have 100,000 people trying to log into a single realm, so it's a dumb comparison to make.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not really sure of the purpose of this thread, but all I can say is that Blizzard completely failed the launch of Classic. I have not seen anything this disasterous since the release of WoD. You can give me 1000 arguments and defenses of Blizzard, it does not matter.

All I know is this: When Classic was released, 100% of all players SHOULD have been able to play. Even if 99% could play, it's a failed release. Period.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you math it out, I believe they capped each server at 10,000 accounts, so just figure about 75% of that number times how ever many servers they opened.

FWIW, the oceanic servers were almost perfect the last 16 hours. Just one period of 5mins of instability, rock solid and lag free otherwise.

the pvp server had a queue but we knew that going in, as did everyone on those servers, people cannot say they were not warned

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I am not really sure of the purpose of this thread, but all I can say is that Blizzard completely failed the launch of Classic. I have not seen anything this disasterous since the release of WoD. You can give me 1000 arguments and defenses of Blizzard, it does not matter.

All I know is this: When Classic was released, 100% of all players SHOULD have been able to play. Even if 99% could play, it's a failed release. Period.
    lol no. Blizz have been saying for 2 weeks. If you plan to play on a server that is marked high or full you will be a queue. If you want to just log in. Play on a different server.

There is plenty of options now

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    thats what blizzard arent getting, majority of people have 1 person out of the freinds group who didnt get in,

for us we had 7 people get in and were level 13 before the last got in

the rest of the guild got in, we had about 20 out of our 60 who couldnt get in,

the ques will remain that hi until more people gfet in,

blizzard saying they expect immediate drop off in the 2nd day because the factor would have worn off is stupid,

it will have dropped off because people couldnt be fucked waiting 13 hours to play the fucking game.
    And the alternative, hundreds of servers to handle the influx of players that will all be incredibly dead two to three weeks from now is somehow preferable? Or do you live in a fantasy world where you actually believe every single one of the people who checked out Classic will stay with the game long term?

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Layering and sharing are very similar. With the difference that on layering you don't phase out when crossing zones or when shard gets full. New players gets simply moved to newly created layer when all old ones are full.[/url]
    They may technically be the same but design constraints and thus tuning is very different.
    In retail you can create essentially unlimited number of shards. In classic you have to limit number of layers per realm because you have target of single layer @ pahse 2 launch.
    In retail you can shard each zone separately (maybe even sub-zone). In classic you have to layer the whole world at once. So right now servers are simulating dozens of Silithus copies where no one even set foot once.

Mechagnome
    3+ Year Old Account

The answer to your question is yes, absolutely yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flawed logic.

BFA has additional tech like sharding and has many, many more servers.

Edit: On topic, I find it kind of difficult to gauge the number of players but I'd guess around 500k-1m.