Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Suggestions on new AMD Build.

My brother wants me to build him a new computer and I'm thinking of going AMD with this one. We've always been Intel/Nvidia users and thought this would be a good time to dip our toes into AMD gaming. His budget for this build is $1500. He doesn't need any peripherals. It's also just for 1080p gaming. His eyesight is fairly poor so going 4k doesn't do him any good. He also needs a motherboard with WiFi (or a separate card for it). As for aesthetics, a Black/Blue theme would be ideal. Being under budget is absolutely fine, $1500 is simply the absolute max he can go. Thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to what you guys can come up with.

Maybe start with something like this.
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA GD (2019) 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: Cooler Master MF120R ARGB 3in1 59 CFM 120 mm Fans ($55.75 @ B&H)
    Total: $1068.65
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 23:42 EST-0500
    Last edited by Bryntrollian; 2019-11-08 at 04:42 AM.

A little something, I thought would last for a bit

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($198.32 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($413.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($105.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1380.24
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 01:19 EST-0500

Right now, the 3800x isn’t a bad purchase. It is 369.99 on Amazon right now, it a slightly better binned chip compared to the 3700x. It comes with two free games: Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds. Both retail for about $60. The 3700 is $329, and comes with Borderlands 3 OR the Outer Worlds. You can’t really go wrong with either choice, but the 3800x is slightly, slightly, slightly better and you get two games instead of one. Something to consider when you’re just getting into gaming. The only reason I would recommend the 3800x right now is because of the price drop and the two games that comes with it. Otherwise I would recommend the 3700x.

It comes with a stock cooler, but sometimes it’s a little loud so you could invest in a new cooler. This probably overkill but it’s a good cooler.

The motherboard is top notch and comes with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, the only downside is that if you decide to go with the LAN, it’s using the Realtek LAN not Intel; however, the Wi-Fi is Intel

the Intel 660p is a good price to performance storage solution. There are faster drives, but for gaming you won’t notice it. Memory at 16gb is what I would typically recommend today, but if you wanted to splurge for 32gb, expect to pay $120.

The graphics card is a great performer for its price, the step up would be a 2070 super which is 50-100 more depending on the card.

Cases are a personal choice but I like the Phantek cases, and I like mesh fronts.

All of this should run on 650W easily, but you could pay a little more and get a 750w.
    Last edited by Anevers; 2019-11-07 at 06:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Both of these builds are nice, only thing I'd add is a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B - excellent silent cooling for ~$50.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tRdHBZ

My option would be this :

Motherboard: for being Ryzen 3000 ready out of the box
    CPU:no need for X SKU you can OC it just fine
    RAM: 3000Mhz should be ok
    GPU: The XFX THICC is a joke just check the Gamers Nexus video-just a meme card
    Case: I have Fractal and also build in them alot. I like them and can recommend them. Also you have a fully modular PSU.
    How did he die ?

His death was caused by pneumonia induced by daggers to the chest.Repeatedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($198.32 @ B&H)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($103.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1189.14
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 03:13 EST-0500

CPU: 3600 is the best value CPU out there. It'll do just fine for the next 5-ish years or so unless something ridiculous happens.
    Cooler: Slapped the most overpowered cooler I know on it. You can drop this entirely if you want, but the stock heatsink is a bit loud and whiny
    MOBO: Yes you could go B450 + standalone WIFI card, but I prefer the looks of just.. Not doing that. It's a bit more expensive than the other solutions though
    Memory: Ryzen 3000 likes fast memory, and it's not that much more expensive over 3200 nowadays, so go 3600
    Storage: 660p is just one of the best value SSDs out there.
    GPU: Went with a 5700 instead of a 5700xt because you said you were going to stick with 1080p.. Even a 5700 is way overkill for 1080p unless you're planning on playing at like 120+ fps. Also, don't buy the XFX THICC II.. It's kinda shit and definitely way overpriced for what you get
    Case: Buy whatever you think is pretty really..
    PSU: 650w is fine

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    Right now, the 3800x isn’t a bad purchase.
    Yes it is. It's only worth it over the 3700x if you were going to buy both games anyway, at full retail price. If you own either, or were going to wait for sales it's bad.
    Now to mention that it's literally just a slightly better binned 3700x, might as well step up to a 3900x if you wanted more performance
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    No.. Don't do that. That's silly It's a meme card like the cat GPU, except it's not cute

I have to agree 3800X is not really worth the price atm, maybe if amd's agesa 1.0.0.4 would've 'unlocked' the true potential of precision boost overdrive 2.0, but atm they're not mature enough to push them over 4.5ghz reliably.
    There are only rumors that 3900X is getting an optimized power plan in the next updates that would gain some 150mhz.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2019-11-07 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post

Yes it is. It's only worth it over the 3700x if you were going to buy both games anyway, at full retail price. If you own either, or were going to wait for sales it's bad.
    Now to mention that it's literally just a slightly better binned 3700x, might as well step up to a 3900x if you wanted more performance
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    I have to agree 3800X is not really worth the price atm, maybe if amd's agesa 1.0.0.4 would've 'unlocked' the true potential of precision boost overdrive 2.0, but atm they're not mature enough to push them over 4.5ghz reliably.
    There are only rumors that 3900X is getting an optimized power plan in the next updates that would gain them some 150mhz.
    I think I was fairly clear that it should be only considered because you would get both games, otherwise if you're not interested in either game or already own one then the 3700x is what you should consider.

The only reason I would recommend the 3800x right now is because of the price drop and the two games that comes with it. Otherwise I would recommend the 3700x.
    But considering both are popular games, new, and expensive getting the second one for $40 and chip that is a fraction of a fraction better isn't a bad deal in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

No.. Don't do that. That's silly It's a meme card like the cat GPU, except it's not cute
    [sarcasm]But clearly it has all those X's in the name it must be good.[/sarcasm]

Here's the vid that Temp is talking about
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwczmQNHVfo
    Last edited by Anevers; 2019-11-07 at 10:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the games are worth considering really regardless since you can get Outer Worlds with XBox Game Pass for $5 a month. With all the services these days, bundled games are not really what they used to be worth.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($103.98 @ Newegg)
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 03:13 EST-0500

Oh I do remember that...

That PSU seems so expensive now, is it because of the tariffs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    That PSU seems so expensive now, is it because of the tariffs?
    No, it's the "Gold" rating tax.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Unless you were doing a meme xfire build with a chipset AMD gfx, I'd avoid ATI cards. I really don't think they offer any real price/performance argument like AMD does with Intel. And the last I really looked at them, they still have driver quality issues.
    I don't like being a debbie downer on ATI, but after 20 years of computer building, I've never had an ATI card that really gave me a warm and fuzzy. Nvidia on the other hand I can look back on multiple cards that beat my expectations, and knock on wood, I've only had one nvidia card start to fail, and that card was massively over clocked (gtx260 black edition), that was after 5+ years of ownership.

At 1920x1080 just get a gtx 1060 for less than 300 and you'll be set. I run a 1060 and play all games on more or less ultra with no frame rate issues.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2019-11-08 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    And the last I really looked at them, they still have driver quality issues.
    You should probably look again, because they aren't called ATI anymore and secondly their drivers have been at Nvidia level or better for the past ~5 years. Also they do offer massive price/performance with stuff like rx 470/570 being dirt cheap.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you were doing a meme xfire build with a chipset AMD gfx, I'd avoid ATI cards. I really don't think they offer any real price/performance argument like AMD does with Intel. And the last I really looked at them, they still have driver quality issues.
    I don't like being a debbie downer on ATI, but after 20 years of computer building, I've never had an ATI card that really gave me a warm and fuzzy. Nvidia on the other hand I can look back on multiple cards that beat my expectations, and knock on wood, I've only had one nvidia card start to fail, and that card was massively over clocked (gtx260 black edition), that was after 5+ years of ownership.

At 1920x1080 just get a gtx 1060 for less than 300 and you'll be set. I run a 1060 and play all games on more or less ultra with no frame rate issues.
    I play at 2560x1440 with a 1060 6gb and it runs a lot of titles very high or ultra.

Some settings like shadows or msaa need to be turned down a bit, but it really performs well.

Unless you were doing a meme xfire build with a chipset AMD gfx, I'd avoid ATI cards.
    ATI isn't a company any more. Hasn't been for... more than a decade?

I really don't think they offer any real price/performance argument like AMD does with Intel. And the last I really looked at them, they still have driver quality issues.
    So you haven't looked in at least 3-4 years. And you cant look up benchmarks, either, apparently.

The RX 570 crushes anything that nVidia has at thee low end for Price/Performance (performs almost as well as a 1660, costs 119$). The RX580/590 compete favorably with the 1660/SUPER and are 150-180$.

The 5700 handily beats the RTX 2060 and is cheaper; the 5700XT beats the 2060 SUPER and almost matches the 2070, and is cheaper. Both are better values ($/frame) than their nVidia counterparts. The only GPUs that are really compelling from nVidia right now are the 2070 SUPER, 2080 SUPER, and 2080Ti. Maybe the 1650 if you need a GPU you can plug into just the PCIe slot.

So you're going to recommend a card that hasnt even been sold for more than a year and is completely replaced with the 1660/SUPER/Ti?

Dear god....

10+ Year Old Account

wat?

An RX 580 costs <200, and performs BETTER than a 1060 6gb which costs from 200 and up
    A 5700 costs ~300 and performs equal or better than a 2060 super which costs 400

If you don't think that's a price/performance argument, then sure, but consider glasses so you can actually look at the real data instead of what your feelings tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    And the WWF is now WWE but I'll still call it WWF.

ATI is the same thing going to AMD. We all know an AMD video card is and was the ATI line up.

People do it all the time with stadiums. Hell, I still refer to the now Adobe software as Macromedia

And lets not forget this is for a 1080p build. What you guys are suggesting is already overkill. I bought a RX 480x years ago and it can pump anything out at 1080p specs.

Remember, THIS IS FOR A 1080p. We hit the max on these YEAAAARS ago. The fact some of you are budgeting over 1k is stupid.

A 1080p system doesnt cost anywhere near 1k.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

So you haven't looked in at least 3-4 years. And you cant look up benchmarks, either, apparently.

The RX 570 crushes anything that nVidia has at thee low end for Price/Performance (performs almost as well as a 1660, costs 119$). The RX580/590 compete favorably with the 1660/SUPER and are 150-180$.

The 5700 handily beats the RTX 2060 and is cheaper; the 5700XT beats the 2060 SUPER and almost matches the 2070, and is cheaper. Both are better values ($/frame) than their nVidia counterparts. The only GPUs that are really compelling from nVidia right now are the 2070 SUPER, 2080 SUPER, and 2080Ti. Maybe the 1650 if you need a GPU you can plug into just the PCIe slot.

So you're going to recommend a card that hasnt even been sold for more than a year and is completely replaced with the 1660/SUPER/Ti?

Dear god....
    Yeah I'm well aware it's not ATI anymore, but it makes it easier to differentiate as just saying AMD can occasionally lose context and we all know what ATI is.

And yes, if you are looking to save and grab a quality card I would suggest a card that is barely outside its production run, you can still find them new and they are much cheaper now.
    Guy said he is running 1920x1080 and everyone jumps on the get this over performing card bandwagon.

Saving a little on the card means more for more important components like a quality expandable mobo and processor, 2 parts which are harder to replace vs a gfx. He said he has max $1500, but wouldn't mind coming in under that. Considering he needs a case and psu, which qualitu can eat out $300 to $400 as well, recommending a known, quality, still performing great card, that won't kill someone to replace in 3-5 years when there is an actual leap in gfx tech makes more sense then get this crappy xfx ati thicc weeaboo edition card for features and specs he won't need until the card itself is obsolete.

It's computer building 101, you guys are like the bench mark racers of the car world "but this car goes faster to 60 so it's better" when the guy needs a minivan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm well aware it's not ATI anymore, but it makes it easier to differentiate as just saying AMD can occasionally lose context and we all know what ATI is.

And yes, if you are looking to save and grab a quality card I would suggest a card that is barely outside its production run, you can still find them new and they are much cheaper now.
    Guy said he is running 1920x1080 and everyone jumps on the get this over performing card bandwagon.

Saving a little on the card means more for more important components like a quality expandable mobo and processor, 2 parts which are harder to replace vs a gfx. He said he has max $1500, but wouldn't mind coming in under that. Considering he needs a case and psu, which qualitu can eat out $300 to $400 as well, recommending a known, quality, still performing great card, that won't kill someone to replace in 3-5 years when there is an actual leap in gfx tech makes more sense then get this crappy xfx ati thicc weeaboo edition card for features and specs he won't need until the card itself is obsolete.

It's computer building 101, you guys are like the bench mark racers of the car world "but this car goes faster to 60 so it's better" when the guy needs a minivan.
    And yet you're the guy who says he should spend more on a 1060 than a 580..

Yes, I went with a 5700, because we don't know how the upcoming console generation is going to change GPU requirements. But if you want something that's fine for 1080p right now, you don't go with a 1060 over a 580, that's just silly.

Also, 3-400 dollars for a PSU and case? What are you talking about? That's like 150-200 if you want quality, ~100 if you skimp

10+ Year Old Account
    I would rather have the system a bit overkill than possibly under performing. He likes to set everything to max in games and will get frustrated when it runs like crap when doing so. He's looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 (which I know is still months away) and I'd like him to be able to enjoy it.

Also trying to keep his frustration level as low as possible. He has recently had congestive heart failure and both his kidneys are damaged beyond repair. He has to have dialysis 3 times a week or he dies from his own blood poisoning him to death. He's easily irritable and he can't have his blood pressure going to dangerous levels again. Hence why I'm wanting to get this system as stable and smooth as possible while still integrating his requests such as AMD CPU/GPU and a Black/Blue theme to the build. I want this thing to look good for him as well. He's never had a custom built computer. He's always had some pretty bad pre-built crap. He's my little brother, and I just want to try to get this how he wants.

Also, according to the PCPartPicker report, that SeaSonic PSU doesn't have the 4-pin ATX cable for the motherboard. Does this system not really need it?