COVID is looking pretty likely to be spreading amongst protestors: https://www.cnn.com/webview/world/li...3bb186d71b0718

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    COVID is looking pretty likely to be spreading amongst protestors: https://www.cnn.com/webview/world/li...3bb186d71b0718
    Gee, maybe police shouldn't have kicked off all those protests by behaving like violent gang members, then.

Can you just come out and admit that you're trying to make the protesters look bad because you think they're making an issue out of nothing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess we'd all better pack up, stop protesting, and let the cops fuck us in the ass then. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Yeah, tear gas is pretty much the worst thing you can do, if you are going to be in public. Not wearing a mask is bad enough, but huffing tear gas is actually a lot worse.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    So, we're like ~3-4 weeks after restrictions started to be relaxed. Schools and most of businesses got back to normal capacities, but now we again have new cases rising. Last several days we have over 100 new cases a day and right now these are mostly found in schools.
    Hmm that does not sound good. Hopefully the it'll level out and does not continue to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I guess we'd all better pack up, stop protesting, and let the cops fuck us in the ass then. /shrug
    Because there is no middle path? Because protesters clearly were far from everyone using masks or distancing (of course, hard to do while protesting). Same goes for cops too.
    There is no need to always go to the extremes. USA really needs to grow out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Hmm that does not sound good. Hopefully the it'll level out and does not continue to rise.
    Nah, it's a given it will rise further. It's simply how it works.

Various antibody tests conducted show about ~3% immunity in the country and despite summer heat (and our heat is real heat) - it still spreads just fine. With people relaxing their personal discipline, the little they had as is, there is really no expectation of miracles here - it will spread and we will be back to what we had in March in weeks.

Various antibody tests conducted show about ~3% immunity in the country and despite summer heat (and our heat is real heat) - it still spreads just fine. With people relaxing their personal discipline, the little they had as is, there is really no expectation of miracles here - it will spread and we will be back to what we had in March in weeks.
    Antibody tests are apparently not that useful, over here they are not recommending them as there's something like 80% of false negative with the current types of testings.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

10+ Year Old Account
    Not necessarily. It mostly depends on how effective you contract trace and whether you manage to interrupt infection chains early enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Antibody tests are apparently not that useful, over here they are not recommending them as there's something like 80% of false negative with the current types of testings.
    They are useful enough to establish the pattern. The precision and recall are not satisfactory but are decent enough to make a statement. Right now, the country is nowhere near herd immunity, we're overwhelmingly not immune at that. So virus will spread without a doubt if measures and discipline are lax.

It's just really a case of not having a head in a sand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Not necessarily. It mostly depends on how effective you contract trace and whether you manage to interrupt infection chains early enough.
    It's really down to how contagious it proved to be to begin with. The thing spreads like wildfire and you really need to just a few unlucky cases falling through the cracks to restart the whole thing. Yes, good crisis management and detection help a lot, but ultimately we're not in the place where everything is bolted up 100%.

Every day we get a story about how X did Y, whether it's some hidden wedding of some religious nutty nuts that shat on mass gatherings restrictions (3 days ago) or about how some parliament member returned positive and was spotted in various places without a mask (2 days ago)... and so on and so forth.

People really try to skirt the rules at every opportunity, often knowingly so. Like that hidden wedding - you ain't going to know all the people that went there and who knows, maybe some of them were positive and spread the fun around already.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-06-05 at 08:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People really try to skirt the rules at every opportunity, often knowingly so.
    True, people do seem to do their best to undermine every effort taken to control the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    It literally doesnt matter Trump and state governments almost entirely dropped the ball. Once you have significant amounts of community transmission the damage is done.
    Imagine if firefighters had that philosophy. "Well, the building is on fire, the people inside are probably going to die, might as well start bulldozing so that something else can be built there as soon as possible".

Except its just pointless hand wringing, it was quite clear a portion of the country was never ever going to do what needed to be done, either out of ignorance or spite. After weeks of those people doing what they want, suddenly now all these people who were silent before are now condemning these protests.

I dunno if people realise just how much of the bigotry is exposed when they do that. When there was a chance to contain the pandemic, that's when you should be yelling at these people about this shit. Not 3 months after it has already killed hundreds of thousands globally
    I agree that people who were silent or were against the quarantine, and support it now because it goes against the protests, are hypocrites, and are using a worldwide crisis as a tool for their agenda.

But you're arguing that potentially saving thousands of lives, when hundreds of thousands are going to die, is pointless. And that kind of cold pragmatism is the same applied by the people you are protesting against.

If all lives matter, then doing everything you can to reduce the spread of the virus should be your personal priority, no matter how bad the government or most of the population deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is the police certainly dont give a fuck. If they're not going to be helpful at all it becomes nearly impossible to maintain physical distance while you're being kettled or having pepper spray washed out of your eyes

All lives dont matter though, to the police black lives dont matter. That's what this is about.
    I really hate to do this here, but frankly it's a bunch of baloney.

You guys demonizing the police totally went out of whack there, it's as if your average cop coming to work in the morning is being met with "Gas the *n-word*!" banner above their locker and be like "hell yeah, let's goooo".

In our case the police is literally the only thing that keeps assholes from being assholes when it comes to basic coronavirus restrictions in place.

The thing is the police certainly dont give a fuck. If they're not going to be helpful at all it becomes nearly impossible to maintain physical distance while you're being kettled or having pepper spray washed out of your eyes

All lives dont matter though, to the police black lives dont matter. That's what this is about.
    Calling other hypocrites while defending mass protests and riots during a pandemic..

Apparently they don't matter to you either

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys demonizing the police totally went out of whack there, it's as if your average cop coming to work in the morning is being met with "Gas the *n-word*!" banner above their locker and be like "hell yeah, let's goooo".
    In our case the police is literally the only thing that keeps assholes from being assholes when it comes to basic coronavirus restrictions in place.
    At least someone has the cojones to spell out what I think.

The dude was a criminal. Simple as that. Criminals are found in all strata of society/professions. Deal with him according to the law and be done with it. Demonizing all police officers that put their life on the line to make the world safer for you just because a select few of them can't handle the power and responsibility given to them is absurd.

I didnt call anyone hypocrites.
    I thought minorities suffered the most with corona virus.. Now that they're in the street protesting and rioting suddenly corona doesn't exist. Just the bad orange boy and his goons in blue.

Be consistent, because you are a hypocrite.

You don't give a flying fuck about their well being, virtue signalling is the ultimate end game.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Imagine if firefighters had that philosophy. "Well, the building is on fire, the people inside are probably going to die, might as well start bulldozing so that something else can be built there as soon as possible".
    Make sure kill them when you see them. Then throw their bodies into the fire.
    Dead people cannot sue you.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Because there is no middle path? Because protesters clearly were far from everyone using masks or distancing (of course, hard to do while protesting). Same goes for cops too.
    There is no need to always go to the extremes. USA really needs to grow out of it.
    How many decades of middle ground has there been?
    How many peaceful protests have their been?

A man kneeling during the anthem was an unacceptable affront to America, do you think standing far apart and asking the police to please stop killing them is going to accomplish anything at all?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account

Well, isn't it awesome to not fear for your life when getting in contact with the police? Maybe ask some fellow Palestinian residents how they feel when they get in contact with Israeli police forces.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.