Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    We haven't just fought off a onslaught of demons and an analogue to satan though. You would think that would add a moment of perspective.
    Yeh. After warcraft 3 that sort of happened, but it's still reasonable to have disagreements such as orcs needing trees and night elves considering trees as sacred. That's more of an objective war and not one based on irrational empire vs empire for no real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Many people were, for some reason, under the impression that Alliance and Horde making peace means that playable factions will disappear from the game and we will all just play together. Somehow this became a popular belief which further made more people believe it. Of course it didn't happen, so now all these people are disappointed.
    Because all the story beats point towards it. It's not our fault their dumbass writers put this in the game with all hints going towards it. Then they literally put a cut scene in the game where Jaina is fucking hugging it out and the Horde isn't punished at all for GENOCIDE....

Then Ion is all like "haha fuck you faction conflict is core to the game".

Why can't we just group together if we feel like it but there is still minor faction conflict like Tyrande getting revenge for the Night Elves. Splinter faction style.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    We haven't just fought off a onslaught of demons and an analogue to satan though. You would think that would add a moment of perspective.
    you only say that because you have no empathy. if onslaughts of demons and analogues to satan were commonplace in the place you grew up, fighting them would be just as mundane as they are in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    Because all the story beats point towards it. It's not our fault their dumbass writers put this in the game with all hints going towards it. Then they literally put a cut scene in the game where Jaina is fucking hugging it out and the Horde isn't punished at all for GENOCIDE....

Then Ion is all like "haha fuck you faction conflict is core to the game".

Why can't we just group together if we feel like it but there is still minor faction conflict like Tyrande getting revenge for the Night Elves. Splinter faction style.
    They could easily keep the faction stories but have US as the heros decide we are going to just be mercenaries for hire. Nobody can stop us from doing it at this point. After Legion and all the new lore with Class halls taking up the fight because the factions were such garbage they couldn't stop the Legion. That should have been the point when we decided to have no loyalty to our factions, we are almost Gods at this point. Just do cross faction grouping for all content but keep the factions for story.

Honestly after all these years you would think our Characters would have just forcefully taken control of both factions creating world peace. We have the power and ability to do so. That could be a cool expansion Idea where we are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    They could easily keep the faction stories but have US as the heros decide we are going to just be mercenaries for hire. Nobody can stop us from doing it at this point. After Legion and all the new lore with Class halls taking up the fight because the factions were such garbage they couldn't stop the Legion. That should have been the point when we decided to have no loyalty to our factions, we are almost Gods at this point. Just do cross faction grouping for all content but keep the factions for story.

Honestly after all these years you would think our Characters would have just forcefully taken control of both factions creating world peace. We have the power and ability to do so. That could be a cool expansion Idea where we are the enemy.
    Exactly. After this expansion the Adventurers should no longer be tied to Factions. We should be able to do as we please but if we want to fight for a Faction in War Mode then we can. Then you can't group anymore. They have the systems in place already.

7+ Year Old Account
    because the campaing and the expansion as a whole are pointless

faction war should always be a side plot, with some minor conflicts between races/organizations and the factions in cold war trying to prevent a total war and gaining resources to get ahead if it happens

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Yeh. After warcraft 3 that sort of happened, but it's still reasonable to have disagreements such as orcs needing trees and night elves considering trees as sacred. That's more of an objective war and not one based on irrational empire vs empire for no real reason.
    This is a big chunk of why I prefer Classic's approach to the faction war. In Ashenvale, the orcs need lumber to live, but the night elves consider Ashenvale sacred and aren't willing to work out a trade deal, so resource skirmishes break out. In Arathi, the Alliance and Horde both need the resources there, and there's a border clash as the Alliance and Horde both want Stromgarde to boot. In Alterac Valley, there's an ongoing border clash between the Stormpikes, who claim an ancestral link to the valley and see the Frostwolves as invading dwarven territory, and the Frostwolves, who've adopted Alterac as their new home. These are theaters of war where both factions have legitimate problems with just letting go, and the leadership overlook these clashes as a matter of necessity. When's the last time Vanndar torched a bunch of Frostwolf kids?
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to storytelling, peace never stays unless the series ends. How many times have the villains of DC comics had to team up with the heroes just to turn around and start fighting again the next day? Just accept it as the norm and stop wasting time worrying about a cliche that will never change.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Faction conflict when it was race vs race in a limited context like orcs needing trees in WSG, resources in arathi basin, native lands of the tauren vs artifact hunting dwarves, etc. Making it just red vs blue is just way too simplified and leads to horrible storytelling. Nightborne should have just stayed on the broken isles and tried to rebuild while maintaining trade with both factions. Maybe have chosen heroes that choose where they want to go to explore the outside world, but not have the entire race choose a side.
    Also it limits the event of the story because they always feel like if they don't give both sides something interesting there's half the player base going full geek jealous over that shit. Without any faction they are free to mess around as they wish.

I wouldn't mind the faction conflict if it just tried to make sense sometimes. Since Legion it just hasn't made sense. In vanilla, it was all about fighting for land and resources. In BC it wasn't in the story. In WotLK, Varian comes back after being forced to fight in arenas by orcs, and Garrosh starts his "Make Orcs Great Again" mantra, so there's some light tension, but it doesn't get in the way of fighting the Lich King for the most part. In Cata, Garrosh is batshit. In MoP, Garrosh continues to be batshit. In WoD it wasn't in the story.

Then in Legion, the whole conflict gets started again because of a stupid misunderstanding at the Broken Shore that could have easily been explained. Then Sylvanas and Genn get hard-ons for each other. Then in BfA I guess everyone is cool with having another batshit insane warchief that burns a giant tree "just cause", since this in no way seems like a new Garrosh situation. Then Sylvanas gets a cut on her face, gets angry and leaves, and that ends the war I guess.

As a player character, I want nothing more than to secede from my faction so I don't have to keep dealing with their bullshit, I can just be an adventurer again, not a "CHAHMPIUHN"
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    As a player character, I want nothing more than to secede from my faction so I don't have to keep dealing with their bullshit, I can just be an adventurer again, not a "CHAHMPIUHN"
    "Go fight your own war, bitch! I'm tired! I'm going to go kill some boar and grill some meat in the woods, peace. Call me when something interesting happens again, and I mean like a dragon, or Neptulon goes crazy, I don't care about The Horde anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Many people were, for some reason, under the impression that Alliance and Horde making peace means that playable factions will disappear from the game and we will all just play together. Somehow this became a popular belief which further made more people believe it. Of course it didn't happen, so now all these people are disappointed.
    That was incredibly dumb if anyone seriously thought factions were going away. AND people were told non stop here that it wasn't going to happen. Any disappointment was done to themselves and no one else to blame.

The War Campaign was always pointless. No one bought it, it was a dumb plot and lessens the impact that Nzoth should have appeared to have. Imagine if, instead of this war campaign bullshit, we start 8.0 with the Naga attacking and trying to take the isles of Zandalar and Kul Tiras. Adds so much more weight to what is going on now, rather than some convoluted faction conflict

But what do you expect. Steve Danuser is a bald-headed flog that can't write for shit

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I just did it again on another character, now post blizzcon, it just seems completely meaningless. They talk about breaking the cycle, of peace, but we know it's going to mean nothing.

The stories are a waste of time, they never follow through on big changes. Last blizzcon it was gong to be a Kalimdor horde and Alliance eastern kingdom, pfft, rubbish, now they do an entire war campaign that ends in another "fight together and cooperate", but nothing in -game about the way the factions might work changes, the lore doesn't even create noticeable difference that might warn of peace.. instead we get Tyrande huffing and puffing off providing the perfect excuse for yet again more conflict.

This just makes the entire war campaign conclusion pointless becuae it speaks of peace and the end to the faction conflict, which clearly doesn't end.
    I've been preaching this since Cataclysm. Making "the faction war" a central focus of the main story is absolutely worthless as it will never change by pure game design. It's always a narrative dead-end, and yet - the fools here still argue the shit for some reason when they have no control or choice over it. The game designers will always derpify a reason to start fighting again. =/

IMO, the solution is sooo much simpler. The faction war works far FAR better if it's always let to be "near boiling" and always considered ongoing no matter what, used as the occasional narrative foil in the main expansion plotline against the main villain that both factions hate. Moments like Wrathgate, ect... and the "war" part to simply be left to the PVP monkeys to spit about.

I just did it again on another character, now post blizzcon, it just seems completely meaningless. They talk about breaking the cycle, of peace, but we know it's going to mean nothing.

The stories are a waste of time, they never follow through on big changes. Last blizzcon it was gong to be a Kalimdor horde and Alliance eastern kingdom, pfft, rubbish, now they do an entire war campaign that ends in another "fight together and cooperate", but nothing in -game about the way the factions might work changes, the lore doesn't even create noticeable difference that might warn of peace.. instead we get Tyrande huffing and puffing off providing the perfect excuse for yet again more conflict.

This just makes the entire war campaign conclusion pointless becuae it speaks of peace and the end to the faction conflict, which clearly doesn't end.
    Welcome to the world of meaningless lore.

1) BFA pre-patch: another MOP 2.0 faction conflict is pointless, because players can't be evil - no faction can even win in this war.
    2) End of BFA: another peace treaty is pointless, because Blizzard just can't get rid of PVP themed crap in this game - conflict will never stop.

So, all this war campaign "breaking the cycle" is pure handout for players, who voted for Saurfang. Not because Saurfang was good, but to keep logic of lore, cuz if we've killed Garrosh, then Sylvanas should also be dead. That's it. Why it's handout? Blizzard have given it, but only because they had to and haven't actually changed their opinion.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account

WHat do you expect?

Look at this...people complained they were tired of Orcs and wanted something differed

People complained they were tired of demons and teaming up, and wanted faction wars back because they wanted War in World of Warcraft back

People complained they were tired of faction wars because they suck

No matter what they do people will complain so you may as well keep every avenue open.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    How can it be pointless when it literally leads directly to the Shadowlands story?
    Sylvanas could of stormed off to fight Bolvar at any time, and for any reason. The war campaign and BfA's story in general is literally pointless.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    Sylvanas could of stormed off to fight Bolvar at any time, and for any reason. The war campaign and BfA's story in general is literally pointless.
    The big kicker there is there's no need for her to not be Warchief at that point. If she is or isn't is irrelevant to what she did. So removing her has absolutely 0 story payoff at present.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    Not really, considering how she reveals the war was part of her plan to feed the hungering maw.

Honestly WoW story was always garbage. That's why I preferred to be just an adventurer.