Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    Also speaking of the Iron Horde, despite being supposed to be so advanced technologically wise the Iron Horde cruelly lacked a strong air force compared to other major antagonist factions (the Old Gods have the Black and Twilight dragonflights, air elementals and flying Qiraji/Mantids, the Scourge has its necropolis and a great number of Gargoyles and undead dragons and the Burning Legion has its many flying demons and spaceships) with them only having some rylaks tamed by the Thunderlords while Garrosh has seen many times the value of zepellins and gunships on Azeroth.
    If I had to be realistic I'd say it's because Blizzard couldn't be bothered with anything but rylak assets in a type of mob that doesn't see much use, i.e large flyers like airships. If I had to give the story some credit though I'd say that'd be part of Garrosh tunnel visioning hard on Azeroth and having to deal with the basic logistical issue of his invasion, namely that he'd have to go through the Dark Portal. Given its size, that means that many of the forces that are taken for granted on Azeroth, like airships or any navy to speak of aren't viable, whereas small skirmishers like those jet rylaks are feasible to bring through.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    If I had to be realistic I'd say it's because Blizzard couldn't be bothered with anything but rylak assets in a type of mob that doesn't see much use, i.e large flyers like airships. If I had to give the story some credit though I'd say that'd be part of Garrosh tunnel visioning hard on Azeroth and having to deal with the basic logistical issue of his invasion, namely that he'd have to go through the Dark Portal. Given its size, that means that many of the forces that are taken for granted on Azeroth, like airships or any navy to speak of aren't viable, whereas small skirmishers like those jet rylaks are feasible to bring through.
    Indeed zepellins and gunships wouldn't be able to cross the Dark Portal, but still the Iron Horde still built a navy on AU Draenor when the Old Horde had no fleet until the Second War, and they would have certainely been useful to help their manoeuvarability and logistics and attack power against their foes on Draenor such as the Draenei, the resistant orcish clans, the Primals, the Arrakoas, etc...

There wasn't even a Dragonmaw clan in WOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Things like iron stars, aircraft carriers n shiet.
    I remember running down some walls in Boralus during the 4th War on a iron star.

The Iron Horde tec is regular Goblin tec, but sent to the past.

Garrosh used It in MoP.

7+ Year Old Account
    Indeed zepellins and gunships wouldn't be able to cross the Dark Portal, but still the Iron Horde still built a navy on AU Draenor when the Old Horde had no fleet until the Second War, and they would have certainely been useful to help their manoeuvarability and logistics and attack power against their foes on Draenor such as the Draenei, the resistant orcish clans, the Primals, the Arrakoas, etc...

My headcanon is that the AU Dragonmaw clan worked together with Zaela in UBRS.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps with a time skip after Shadowlands we will come back to Azeroth and see Orgrimmar as a city of the future, with iron star technology so advanced we will see orcs conscripted as marines...

There is never a timeskip, nor a need for one.

But, it is likely we'll see more technological advancement when the world does get updated. The Iron Star technology is something they've made thematic to the Mag'har, so unfortunately we won't see it everywhere. But we will definitely see their influence within more of the Horde. With most of the world in Cataclysm state, that's just not currently expressed.

3+ Year Old Account
    wasn't there Iron Horde vehicles used in the War of the Thorns?
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

This reminds me of gnomish technologies and inventions that aren't used by the Alliance, barring during the ordinary Gnome quests that only concern their people, such as anti-harm belts and other force fields, mind control devices, shrinking rays and world enlargers, or the Arcane Nullifiers that are gnomish mechas robots or armors made to fight magic users by a combination of tech, alchemy and science to cancel and reflect back magic spells at its user.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    This thread is both silly and old. The Horde did use Iron Horde tech constantly in BFA, from Iron Stars in Tirisgarde, to aircraft carriers in Nazmir - even the little barge that took you to Mechagon had Iron Horde tech. Next!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Look how it all worked out for the iron Horde LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    wasn't there Iron Horde vehicles used in the War of the Thorns?
    Not only that: a number of Iron Horde ships is used in the war campaign, with air carriers transporting goblin flying machines.

Quote Originally Posted by 1know View Post
    I remember running down some walls in Boralus during the 4th War on a iron star.

The Iron Horde tec is regular Goblin tec, but sent to the past.

Garrosh used It in MoP.
    Correction;
    "Iron horde tech" is "regular goblin tech" that was taken to the past in form of schematics by Garrosh.
    Then said "regular goblin tech" was worked on/reiterated for about 20 years (on Draenor), and kind of just left there.
    Gazlowe and his team might have brought some of it back, but for some reason don't use it.

It's one of those things that's hard to cover because of the overlap of out of story and in story reasons for it. Out of story, the reasoning for the Iron Horde not establishing their control over Draenor before attacking Azeroth is a combination of the expansion being dumpstered and them redoing a ton of zones after the case to avoid 'orc fatigue'. In the original version of Warlords, which you can see parts of in the Mag'har scenario Gorgrond was entirely industrial and the Grimrail criss-crossed the entire zone and went as far as Shattrath, getting across how logistically advanced the Iron Horde was. You can get bits of that from its current unchanged description which makes no sense with the layout of the zone or the progress of the story. Likewise, places like Elodor were already sacked by the Iron Horde, Kargath was a much bigger part of Arak and Blackhand had his own role. To go with that, their invasion was also more successful - they got past the Swamp of Sorrows and into Searing Gorge with the Kor'kron position in Blasted Lands swapping sides. That's why Zaela's able to go through and set up her doomsday device in UBRS. Other bits, like for instance the Highmaul story around Mar'gok implies the Iron Horde is a lot more advanced than we see, using things like automated crawlers, and that Highmaul is a complete client state. The situation around how the Blackfuse even got there and if it was before or after the time portal was also left as a total loose end when they cut the Chronal Spire and infinite dragon involvement.

The in-story reasoning that we're stuck with is that Garrosh was so fixated on going after Azeroth that he went in half-cocked and didn't care about suppressing Draenor . He has to dissuade his dad from killing off the ogres, but is just as short-sighted as he is and so his invasion mostly ends up as a failure. Grom himself is an albatross around the neck of the Iron Horde with Blackhand being vastly more competent as a tactician and the Foundry being the heart of their war effort. It's not a bad story beat that Garrosh's invasion plan ends up being undone by his main faults - hero worship of his dad and tunnel vision, but it really defangs the Iron Horde when they were an antagonist perfectly capable of carrying an expansion if they were handled as Blizzard initially intended.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

It's one of those things that's hard to cover because of the overlap of out of story and in story reasons for it. Out of story, the reasoning for the Iron Horde not establishing their control over Draenor before attacking Azeroth is a combination of the expansion being dumpstered and them redoing a ton of zones after the case to avoid 'orc fatigue'. In the original version of Warlords, which you can see parts of in the Mag'har scenario Gorgrond was entirely industrial and the Grimrail criss-crossed the entire zone and went as far as Shattrath, getting across how logistically advanced the Iron Horde was. You can get bits of that from its current unchanged description which makes no sense with the layout of the zone or the progress of the story. Likewise, places like Elodor were already sacked by the Iron Horde, Kargath was a much bigger part of Arak and Blackhand had his own role. To go with that, their invasion was also more successful - they got past the Swamp of Sorrows and into Searing Gorge with the Kor'kron position in Blasted Lands swapping sides. That's why Zaela's able to go through and set up her doomsday device in UBRS. Other bits, like for instance the Highmaul story around Mar'gok implies the Iron Horde is a lot more advanced than we see, using things like automated crawlers, and that Highmaul is a complete client state. The situation around how the Blackfuse even got there and if it was before or after the time portal was also left as a total loose end when they cut the Chronal Spire and infinite dragon involvement.

The in-story reasoning that we're stuck with is that Garrosh was so fixated on going after Azeroth that he went in half-cocked and didn't care about suppressing Draenor . He has to dissuade his dad from killing off the ogres, but is just as short-sighted as he is and so his invasion mostly ends up as a failure. Grom himself is an albatross around the neck of the Iron Horde with Blackhand being vastly more competent as a tactician and the Foundry being the heart of their war effort. It's not a bad story beat that Garrosh's invasion plan ends up being undone by his main faults - hero worship of his dad and tunnel vision, but it really defangs the Iron Horde when they were an antagonist perfectly capable of carrying an expansion if they were handled as Blizzard initially intended.
    At least they could have shown the clans that were absent from WOD such the Dragonmaws from AU Draenor, the Lightning Blade, the Whiteclaw (who would have been allies of the Frostwolves), the Bonechewer, the Redwalkers, etc..

Also Garrosh convinced his father to spare the Ogres but to have the Ogres teach their magic breaking technique, with a Titanic stone submitting individuals to repeated exposures of a school of magic before taking a part of their soul and replacing it by essence of this school of magic, making them immune to any spell coming from this school. Yet this is new shown in game, we never see Ogres even trying to teach Orcs or Orcs apprentices.

Honnestly Gul'dan just had to approach Blackhand and to propose him to make him the warchief of the Iron Horde, appealing to Blackhand's ambition and frustrations with Grommash and Garrosh, to his feeling of superiority over the Warsongs due to his clan being the one making the weapons and technology of the Iron Horde and the strongest military, and his hunger for power.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Always wanted an actual Iron Star mount, reminds me of the Buzz Boar from GIJoe.
    Yeah! Roll around inside the mount, your character disappearing as you zip around all over the place. That definitely sounds fun.

At least they could have shown the clans that were absent from WOD such the Dragonmaws from AU Draenor, the Lightning Blade, the Whiteclaw (who would have been allies of the Frostwolves), the Bonechewer, the Redwalkers, etc..
    Almost all of this is less down to the writers leaving them out out of forgetfulness but just how the lore was at the time. They hadn't decided that the Dragonmaw existed on Draenor already under a different name, since that was from Legion-era Chronicle, the Whiteclaw and Redwalkers were one-off lines in a single book and the Lightning Blade were (and still are) of very dubious canon. The Bonechewer Chieftain also is in there, it's just heavily implied they're part of the Shadow Council.

Also Garrosh convinced his father to spare the Ogres but to have the Ogres teach their magic breaking technique, with a Titanic stone submitting individuals to repeated exposures of a school of magic before taking a part of their soul and replacing it by essence of this school of magic, making them immune to any spell coming from this school. Yet this is new shown in game, we never see Ogres even trying to teach Orcs or Orcs apprentices.
    It's such a massive oversight as are the ogre spellbreakers in general. The guy who invented them never appears again despite finishing his quest telling you you'll meet again. The data files have like ten different shades and variants of breakers, but the only ones ever used are the Highmaul boss and I think some HFC trash mobs. The main reason Garrosh spares them is never used and the ogre Emperor who's a pretty interesting character in his story is a bit player in the expansion proper who you'd never know had a personality at all if you didn't read it. WoD is fascinating because unlike BFA you can actually track what they were up to and how what they had in mind and what they actually did differ.

Honnestly Gul'dan just had to approach Blackhand and to propose him to make him the warchief of the Iron Horde, appealing to Blackhand's ambition and frustrations with Grommash and Garrosh, to his feeling of superiority over the Warsongs due to his clan being the one making the weapons and technology of the Iron Horde and the strongest military, and his hunger for power.
    I'd be surprised if this wasn't in the cards at some point. Kilrogg's turn was bizarre since he was so undercharacterized and was even a somewhat noble character in the MU as far as First/Second War-era chieftains went. Gul'dan co-opting Blackhand on the other hand would be both a call back to the MU and entirely gel with the story, having Blackhand decide to usurp Grom and take over himself when the 'prophet' Garrosh is out of the picture and Grom is failing as Warchief and is reliant on him anyway.

3+ Year Old Account
    In MOP during Siege of Orgrimmar the precursors to the Iron Horde's technology were created by Siegemaster Blackfuse, a Goblin. That technology was given to the Orcs on Draenor. We can speculate Blackrocks didn't have tech that advanced and required knowledge/schematics, etc. brought by Garrosh.

Edit: This was necro'd wasn't it. Eesh I'm late
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2021-06-21 at 06:35 PM.

Considering the Horde already would wipe the floor (and has done so) with the Alliance, there would be no reason to not have a Horde domination if they would would let them use the tech they have…..yeah I know Blizzard writing am I right?

Almost all of this is less down to the writers leaving them out out of forgetfulness but just how the lore was at the time. They hadn't decided that the Dragonmaw existed on Draenor already under a different name, since that was from Legion-era Chronicle, the Whiteclaw and Redwalkers were one-off lines in a single book and the Lightning Blade were (and still are) of very dubious canon. The Bonechewer Chieftain also is in there, it's just heavily implied they're part of the Shadow Council.

It's such a massive oversight as are the ogre spellbreakers in general. The guy who invented them never appears again despite finishing his quest telling you you'll meet again. The data files have like ten different shades and variants of breakers, but the only ones ever used are the Highmaul boss and I think some HFC trash mobs. The main reason Garrosh spares them is never used and the ogre Emperor who's a pretty interesting character in his story is a bit player in the expansion proper who you'd never know had a personality at all if you didn't read it. WoD is fascinating because unlike BFA you can actually track what they were up to and how what they had in mind and what they actually did differ.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't in the cards at some point. Kilrogg's turn was bizarre since he was so undercharacterized and was even a somewhat noble character in the MU as far as First/Second War-era chieftains went. Gul'dan co-opting Blackhand on the other hand would be both a call back to the MU and entirely gel with the story, having Blackhand decide to usurp Grom and take over himself when the 'prophet' Garrosh is out of the picture and Grom is failing as Warchief and is reliant on him anyway.
    Yep Mar'gok was a really interesting character in his short story but he was wasted horribly in the game. And it would have been cool and interesting to see the Mage Breakers being put to real use rather than just being accessories. I am generally against time travel stories, and WOD wasn't an exception to the rule, but it could have been different because there were really intriguing elements of lore and foundations for cool stories that the writers wasted.

And Killrogg drinking the blood of Mannoroth and joining Gul'dan was indeed out of character and spoiled his potential, while it would have been natural for Blackhand to betray Gromm and ally with Gul'dan to become the new warchief of the Iron Horde given his ambition and ruthlessness, not counting that in the MU he was the one who was supposed to drink the blood of Mannoroth first before Grommash went ahead first and as such was the one who drank the blood first out of impulsivity and because he didn't want to be the weak guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Things like iron stars, aircraft carriers n shiet.
    same reason why alliance does not use flying death star or void gates or mole machines or gnomish stuff....man alliance has a lot of weapons they do not use that could crush the horde with little to no effort :S