Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    And Anduin didn't receive any training to wield weapons, he is just a priest with plate armor and sword.
    He literally trains with Muradin.

Maybe Anduin is a cleric and Blizzard doesn't want to admit it or something. Or who cares.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

I do find the OP's point super interesting, and totally valid. This is basically an admission by Blizzard that "look, I know we SAID Anduin's a Priest, but we want him to have all of the Paladin stuff".

I "get" that Lore characters aren't necessarily restricted to the Class system, but I would argue that continuing to "draw outside the lines" just makes Blizzard look sloppy. Blizzard should be creating characters that PROMOTE their Class system, and how cool each Class is! If you want Anduin to be a Priest, then make him a goddamn PRIEST; make him as cool as possible, where players say "man, I want to play a Holy Priest now!".

Otherwise, it feels almost like Blizzard is promoting a system more akin to FFXIV, where characters can actually *change* their Class.

Quote Originally Posted by Krothar View Post
    Paladins are LITERALLY Priests trained to use weapons in combat. The Original Paladins were either Priests from Northshire Abbey taught how to fight or warriors who had a connection with the Light. As far as humans are concerned anyway.
    Anduin is a priest. he uses light and shadow magic.

Paladins are also infused with light and cant use shadow magic.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

3+ Year Old Account
    Once again, people attempt to apply gameplay restrictions to lore.

Is anything stopping a Priest from picking up a sword in universe? Can a Shaman not also be a Warrior in universe?

It's ridiculous how common sense evades so many people on this forums. Unless this is a meme now, which I'd say has potential.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, people. Anduin is a Priest. No Paladin will use Shadow magic like he does, and he literally drops the sword to cast his best spells.

Thrall can be categorized as a Warrior now because he lost his Shaman powers. So he's just... that. Powerless Shaman, Newbie Warrior (he jobbed hard against Garrosh in the Underhold).

Quote Originally Posted by Derpules View Post
    Void elves (race) is already a thing, so I wonder which races would get access to void knights? There are 4 races that don't have priests, so I can't see them taking the same path as 'wielder of shadows that puts on plate/shield' as paladins did with the light.

Side thought: We have Deathknights, shadow priests, warlocks, demon hunters running around already. Do we need a 5th "I'm edgy and/or dabble in the forbidden arts!" type class running around?
    Not really no, though a specc might do.
    Something spellblade-y, one specc focussing on arcane and time magic, one on space and void magic, one on sound and nature magic (or maybe fel and sound? Fel and waves in general?)
    Just tossing ideas
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I think it's just believable generics for that given situation. Stormwind has a paladin because Anduin fights with a sword, Frostwolf has a warrior because Thrall is fighting without the elements right now.
    Lore characters never fit class archetypes particularly well though.

Major characters don't conform to typical class restrictions. They blend whatever rule of cool mess the authors were working on at the time. Thrall has always been a shaman with a heavy dose of warrior mixed in (less shaman now that he lost his elemental magic). Anduin has been a priest with martial training, effectively what a paladin is canonically, but lets not forget his time dabbling with shadow magic to mind control someone.

A lot of extra characters have this cross class thing going on as well... Shaman/rogue/warrior mixes like Shadowblades among the trolls or some blademasters. They toss a few themes together and slap a name on it instead of keeping it clearly one 'class'

Guys, Anduin is a priest...who wears heavy armor...and wields a sword.

Anduin is a paladin .If you wear plate ,wield the light and can use a sword ,then you are a Paladin : end of the story .

Just because blizz say he is a priest doesn't mean he is , just like they said that sylvanas was morally grey . Blizz talk out of their ass so many times , you should be used to it by now .

Quote Originally Posted by naeblis495 View Post
    Anduin is a paladin .If you wear plate ,wield the light and can use a sword ,then you are a Paladin : end of the story .

Just because blizz say he is a priest doesn't mean he is , just like they said that sylvanas was morally grey . Blizz talk out of their ass so many times , you should be used to it by now .
    anduin uses shadow magic.
    he is not a paladin. he is a priest.
    lore characters are not restricted like the players are.

Thrall is currently a warrior after losing his shaman powers.its just "he felt it was dishonourable and lost his connection"

10+ Year Old Account
    Well.... npc are logical, they have the power of light so they can be priests or paladins or both. Players however... are stupid dumbasses who can either be this or that and can not even be a complete class!
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    anduin uses shadow magic.
    he is not a paladin. he is a priest.
    lore characters are not restricted like the players are.
    Then , if lore characther are not bound by gameplay, he is a paladin who can use shadow magic.

He have much more in common with a paladin than a priest , therefore , he is a paladin .

Then , if lore characther are not bound by gameplay, he is a paladin who can use shadow magic.

He have much more in common with a paladin than a priest , therefore , he is a paladin .
    paladins cant use shadow magic.

HE IS A PRIEST.

paladins cant use shadow magic.

HE IS A PRIEST.
    Priests can't wear plate armor nor use swords .

HE IS A PALADIN .

Priests can't wear plate armor nor use swords .

HE IS A PALADIN .
    he is a priest. priests use shadow and light magic by channeling it. Paladins are infused with light and cant use shadow magic. Blizzard also stated he is a priest.

Lore characters can wear whatever they want and use whatever weapon they want. they are not restricted like players are.
    Thrall was a shaman that used plate armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancaris View Post
    its just "he felt it was dishonourable and lost his connection" as we can see in books about Doomhammer. His shaman abilities are fine, his mind not. If he stops be a pussy and be orc again it will be great. But hey, not in 2020, have a dick is too toxic now.
    Skipping the weird emasculation comment this is pretty much correct.

At some point Thrall will figure out that the elements didn't abandon him, but he turned his back on them and then he'll discover that the power was inside him all along!

So yeah, Thrall is fighting as he was originally trained - to be a warrior, but at some point we are going to reforge his connection to the spirits. We just don't know when yet. Maybe this expansion after he and his mom have a long talk?

he is a priest. priests use shadow and light magic by channeling it. Paladins are infused with light and cant use shadow magic. Blizzard also stated he is a priest.

Lore characters can wear whatever they want and use whatever weapon they want. they are not restricted like players are.
    Thrall was a shaman that used plate armor.
    I logged in to my priest just to double check, they can't wear plate. Whatever he is he's clearly not a priest.