Poll: Do you think the new RIOT MMORPG will dominate the MMORPG Market?

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you think the new RIOT MMORPG will be the new big MMORPG?

Straight forward question, do you think the new Riot MMORPG that will be coming out in 2024/2025 will be the new "King" of MMORPGS ?
    Riot has one of the biggest fan base around, people are tired on how bad the MMORPG market is right now and are screaming for something new.

People love the LoL universe and probably wanna live inside one too, do you think their fanbase is gonna make the MMORPG market explode again?

Do you think Riot will be able to pull of the next new hit and will be like WoW once was, such a big MMORPG that it will make most MMORPG's look like nothing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

They have one really successful game so far. Anyone thinking it will be the next big MMO is naive beyond belief. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? No.

Help me RIOT, you are my only hope.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    When RIOT proves they can create more than one successful game, and a successful MMORPG, then, I might change my mind. Until then, good luck to them.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

I think they will likely have a very successful game.

It depends. If they tie it to LoL like unlocking skins for League or other stuff like that then I think it could be "successful" even if its shit.

They have also retconned the lore like what 4 times now? They wont be able to get that many chances with an mmo. They better hope they got shit set up the way they want to from the start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Creating an MMO is an hard task. not easy even for the biggest companies
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

I just hope it's a good game with some innovation to it. The genre sure needs some shaking up.

I'm interested to see if Ghostcrawler can pull off this project. He left Blizzard because he couldn't get as creative as he wanted to be, hopefully this time they will give him more freedom. As if it will become the next king... there is potential, but then again being the king of a dying genre isn't saying much. I could see Ashes of Creation taking the crown instead but it'd be interesting to see how they fare.

Way too early to tell. Game is at best still in the concept phases and we know virtually nothing about it at this point.

I do think it will be innovative at least. Which is what the genre sorely needs at this point. So I guess there's that to look forward too.

"You won't all love every feature. We're going to make choices you may not agree with. Players want different things. Some of you (shudder) may not love the game at all. That's fine."

- Ghostcrawler

I think it will at least be decently playable. it has built in fanbase and IP recognition going for it as well. but.... I can only roll my eyes at the whole "this upcoming mmo is going to be the next best thing to slice bread and will finally save MMO genre and kill WoW or whatever" very unlikely. the only reason Final Fantasy is doing as well as it does is because its publisher instead of giving up on it - worked on it and allowed it to grow into its onw. will Riot give their MMO the same time and space? will it have enough there to grow from to begin with? at this time? we have exactly zero idea.

It's probably not going to be targeted at a Western audience and a lot of people here are going to be disappointed. Also a fair chance it never actually launches.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    When RIOT proves they can create more than one successful game, and a successful MMORPG, then, I might change my mind. Until then, good luck to them.
    I have yet to learn anything about RIOT or focus on the company, but isnt the company throwing a succesful game over another?
    Valorent seems to be a MASSIVE hit, so does Teamfight Tactics and the obvious part League of Legends.

Like twitch has all 3 games non stop in top 10. According to google search, games like Teamfight Tactics and LoL pull in 10M users a day and Valorent 2 Million.

Sounds like they make quality popular games? I am just outstander, so no clue how succesful they really are. And how they are received by their fanbase in general.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Way too early to tell. Game is at best still in the concept phases and we know virtually nothing about it at this point.

I do think it will be innovative at least. Which is what the genre sorely needs at this point. So I guess there's that to look forward too.
    Also isn't Ghostcrawler the developer who was responsible (Not only him ofc) for one of the worst World of Warcraft expansion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I have yet to learn anything about RIOT or focus on the company, but isnt the company throwing a succesful game over another?
    Valorent seems to be a MASSIVE hit, so does Teamfight Tactics and the obvious part League of Legends.

Like twitch has all 3 games non stop in top 10. According to google search, games like Teamfight Tactics and LoL pull in 10M users a day and Valorent 2 Million.

Valorant generated some buzz back in beta, but has dropped drastically since then. It isn't the next OW or CS and like most Riot games, they're painfully average although somewhat polished catchups for Valve's and Blizz's titles. Personally I think the game is shit. They're also all F2P which might explain some of the user count.
    Last edited by Kageaki; 2022-01-12 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    They have one really successful game so far. Anyone thinking it will be the next big MMO is naive beyond belief. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? No.
    Valorant was pretty successful last I checked. Not my cup of tea -at all- but that's neither here nor there.

Riot certainly has the budget for it, which is already a big thing taken care of. MMOs are darn expensive to properly develop. And they already have a universe people are interested in, and in terms of making a popular game, well, LoL has been popular for close to a decade now so that's covered. Unless they massively fuck things up it's going to have a decent playerbase.

Innovation is another matter of course. LoL is DOTA with some changes and Valorant is Counter-Strike with some changes. I certainly hope they'll be bolder when it comes to their MMO, WoW with some changes won't cut it.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering we have almost no info other than they're making it, I'd say it is too early to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

7+ Year Old Account
    its gonna be just as glorious and bug free as New World

Regardless of the Riot MMO's quality, there is no chance of a game reaching the same level of mainstream acclaim that WoW did. Even setting aside the old arguments of "playing with other people a novel experience back then!" or "it was the age before Discord and Twitter!", you have a fundamental entertainment problem where you just can't have entertainment that pervades an entire culture anymore. Star Wars, Harry Potter, and WoW's massive explosion of popularity was facilitated by the normie corporate media. Harry Potter was the last gasp of an era in which there was a monolothic corporate infrastructure that could direct everybody's attention to this one thing and continue delivering to meet demand. We probably won't see an explosion in popularity like Star Wars or Harry Potter or WoW again, all pervading cultural phenomena known to everyone. Not even the MCU or Game of Thrones managed to achieve that level of popularity, as now people's options are too diversified to catch everybody's attention. Star Wars, HP, and WoW were big way back when because they were pretty much the only game in town, and people didn't really have any other options. Today, pretty much any form of media (books, TV, comics, games, music, etc) that fits your tastes is only a couple clicks a way, so people can't be forced to all consume one thing anymore.

The best Riot can hope for is that maybe - after several years of quality content - their MMO could perhaps rival FFXIV, but it won't be an all encompassing mainstream game like WoW was.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post

That quote is so ironic being used here, on this forum. This is exactly what WoW devs have done for years to daily cries everywhere. But GC, who was hated until he left, says they will do the same things, for a different dev, and it's being used as a selling point. Maybe that was not your intent, but I have seen it bandied about like a god thing before.

it will have zero players to pull from, ff14 dogs will palye ff, wow players will still play wow cuz it has the best endgame pve and they are invested 17 years into it and the lol players/moba players will play mobas it will be a new world 2.0 big for a week and die
    I.O BFA Season 3