Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by zylya View Post
    You're still not getting this.

Noone stands in a fire and expects to live. We can both agree on this. However, a lot of players, especially people who are new, or unused to dungeons etc simply do not realise that they are standing in fire, or sometimes even that fire exists. They don't stay in it to piss you off or because they're retarded, it's simply they are unaware of it happening. I've played with a lot of players who are new to the game, and one of the most common complains when someone first starts raiding is that there's so much to be watching out for - you have to know, and avoid, all of the mechanics AND keep your rotation going. If you're new to the game or new to raiding then it's a lot of take in the first time, and I know that often they're more frustrated with themselves than you are with them.
    I get it perfectly. You assume that people who are new to the game are bad. That isn't true. I play with people who joined during easy-mode Wrath. No one, who has made it to heroic level dungeons, is unaware of the fire = bad concept. You just can't. This mechanic is used throughout lower level dungeons, quests, and even in camping fires. Just because you are new doesn't mean you're stupid, so being new isn't an excuse. I know people don't stand in fire specifically to piss me off but look at what you wrote again. "They don't stay in it to piss you off or because they're retarded, it's simply they are unaware of it happening." If you are unaware you are on fire, guess what? You're stupid (I'm not using your wording because that could actually be offensive).

But of course, you must've been born fucking God the way you go on. I'm sure you fucked up when you started raiding, I know for a fact that I did, many times. It's called learning, I can dodge mechanics and move all around while keeping my healing, dps or tanking going because I've got the experience to know what to watch for. When you're first starting though it's not as easy.
    Calm down space ranger. When you died to fire, did you do it again? ...and again? ...and again? If not, then you are proving my point, not yours. I never said everyone should be perfect and putting words in my mouth wont make that true. You may want to raise the bar a little when considering who is or isn't a God. If godliness, to you, is not standing in fire then you've got a lot of praying to do.

This is why I said "and they might start watching out for it", not because I believe that people would willingly and knowingly stand in fire and die, but because everyone, including you my elitist friend, was new at one stage and take time to get used to something like that. But hey, I guess some people just get off on being an asshole over the internet when they know there's no repercussions.

Of course, you'll come back and say "lol any idiot can learn to dodge fire in one heroic or less" and thus totally disregard the fact that it takes different people different amounts of time to learn things, especially when there's so many new things to watch out for when you're first starting.
    Not standing in fire isn't a skill that needs to be honed and nurtured, it's common sense. As I said, anyone who didn't ebay a character has seen the fire = bad mechanic ~30 times before they hit level 85. Anyone who has raided or dungeon crawled to 85 has seen it thousands of times. I think you are VASTLY over-estimating how many new people there are. I've seen, maybe, two or three. The overwhelming majority of failures I've seen, at least, say they have been playing for years.
    Last edited by Jahoota; 2011-01-24 at 08:53 PM.

Deleted
    I recommend this approach:

Give the group until the first boss to prove in your mind that they are somewhat capable and not likely to make any massive screwups. If they're not, leave after the first boss is dead (no debuff then). Possibly add a quick reason why you're leaving, in a polite, succinct manner such as: "tank, your gear is from wotlk and I cannot keep you up without flash heal spam" or "dps, you constantly break cc and attempt to tank on your own" and if there are real baddies in the group, add them to your ignore list.

Simple.

I do this all the time now and I feel so much more relaxed about healing. Because frankly, I pay for this game as a form of entertainment and I refuse to spend hours carrying people, making up for their mistakes and getting stressed out about it.

the thing you have to remember is, it is normally not your falt if you are healing correctly the dps standing in fir ( i let the idiot die) just because you whipe its not always your falt so if dps is saying its you and there being stupid, fyi they made this thing in wow called ignore and it works quite well.

So just learn to heal with your class then you should be fine

p.s. I dont run randoms anymore i get a full 5 guild group and everything goes smoothly

10+ Year Old Account
    I went into a dungeon and didn't do anything wrong and the healer just refused to heal me. When I died repeatedly due to lack of heals(I can't help if wasshisname in Lost City throws me against a pillar and then I fall on a mine), he bitched me out "stay out of fire dumbass", and so yes, I told him to shut up and heal.

Surprise surprise, most people are blowhards. From that point on, he healed me just fine.

That said, some people are assholes. Not a whole lot you can do about that. You can either keep your head low and hope you go unnoticed, or you can stand up to them and hope they back down.

Quote Originally Posted by anmblack1 View Post
    Back when I first started healing, I was under geared and had to work really hard to heal by focusing in on that one aspect of the game. After I had gear I started to heal less and less, and began to blame others more and more, if someone were to mess up a CC pull I would either be shocked or angered by this moron who messed up something so simple and stop healing completely or less then I would have with no gear.

I feel the nature of this behavior was rooted in me being more susceptible to being kicked because I was under geared, so I had to work harder in order to succeed (even if the fault was on others) and be to the very least acceptable.

I made this post because I decided to one day queue for a Dungeon as a DPS with a 40minute queue, I thought this was okay once in a while because I always get 6minute queues a healer. The q pops, I get in, I was the highest DPS in the Dungeon (nearly 40%-50% of damage done in a boss fight). So on our way to the last boss one of the DPS messed up a CC pull, I knew the healer could have healed it but he falls into the same trap I did, his mind was so focused on the mobs hitting everyone he decides to stop healing completely and began to blame others. From a healer's perspective I would've healed it, if it were me. I was kicked shortly afterward (bare in mind this was all random with only 2 being from the same server).

I think you all would be surprised by what a healer can salvage if they were to try. Sometimes, spamming heals are the way to go, stop thinking about conserving mana on the most ridiculously short PULLS, it's not even a boss! just drink your free food right after you're out of combat, like if you were an Arcane Mage (zero mana at the end of a fight because you know when to use up or save mana). I rarely see people use their 3min + mana regeneration abilities, to all the healers out there, DO SOMETHING.

Shut up and heal.
    /agree I mean do not go OOM on the first trash and cause a wipe because you have 60% over healing... I think what your experiencing is what happens alot in MMO's there is this feeling of "hey I am never going to see these guys again, why try?" People are always slacking off, especially in random ques in the LFG tool. I mean think about it, you have all those people your bound to get a slacker here or there. It is not just the Healers tho, your right the dps will fall in to this category and so will tanks. Its just the nature of the beast =/ My suggestion is ditch the whole LFG system all together, and find a good guild. At least then you can discuss with people the issues and they can at least work on them. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahoota View Post
    I get it perfectly. You assume that people who are new to the game are bad. That isn't true. I play with people who joined during easy-mode Wrath.
    Seriously people, this has GOT to stop. O_O Every thread people mindlessly blame Wrath as a reason that people suck. Pfft no, nope, not true. I have a friend that joined during Wrath. Hes not even a gamer. He beat the Lich King shortly after joining and is the best geared out of all of me and my friends. He's been in all the Cata raids so far and downed at least one boss. I suppose he's bad though because he joined in Wotlk? No, I'm sorry, wrong. >_< Where did this idea come from? Who started this madness? Its getting out of hand. To the point where people don't even think that maybe there are other reasons to skill-based problems in Cata. Like oh say... just simple unawareness to things going on around them. Or being new to raiding. There are very VERY few 5 mans with bosses that lay down fire. It takes some getting used to. That's just how its always worked.

It's always one of the 3 following things that come up again and again that start the QQ:

1.) Encounter simply involves a lot of damage and the only way to survive is if a consistent, defensive CD rotation is in place for both the tank and healer (i.e. HC Halfus, the roars)

2.) Gear - GC and many others have acknowledged that even things like HCs are a real challenge for those undergeared healers/tanks. At higher ilevels, the gap closes as expected.

3.) Skill/class limitations - Healers like holy paladins right now are faring much better than others and only will future patches help "remedy" across the board. That's not to say you shouldn't X and put Y in the raid all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahoota View Post
    If you are unaware you are on fire, guess what? You're stupid
    The thing is, it's very easy to be unaware that you're standing in fire in this game. It's not like you can actually feel the heat, and in most cases there's no auditory queue either (unless you've installed an add-on like GTFO). There are many things onscreen demanding your attention all at once: your action bars, the boss's health, the boss's cast bars, procs, buffs, debuffs, adds (if applicable to the fight), chat, etc. Speaking for myself, my eyes are usually somewhere other than at my character's feet, because if I stare at that spot the whole fight I'll miss other important stuff. There are of course UI mods to move more important things to the center of the screen, but not everyone uses them, because the game is perfectly playable with the standard UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Seriously people, this has GOT to stop. O_O Every thread people mindlessly blame Wrath as a reason that people suck. Pfft no, nope, not true. I have a friend that joined during Wrath. Hes not even a gamer. He beat the Lich King shortly after joining and is the best geared out of all of me and my friends. He's been in all the Cata raids so far and downed at least one boss. I suppose he's bad though because he joined in Wotlk? No, I'm sorry, wrong. >_< Where did this idea come from? Who started this madness? Its getting out of hand. To the point where people don't even think that maybe there are other reasons to skill-based problems in Cata. Like oh say... just simple unawareness to things going on around them. Or being new to raiding. There are very VERY few 5 mans with bosses that lay down fire. It takes some getting used to. That's just how its always worked.
    ...you do know that you and I are saying the same thing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ThemsAllTook View Post
    The thing is, it's very easy to be unaware that you're standing in fire in this game. It's not like you can actually feel the heat, and in most cases there's no auditory queue either (unless you've installed an add-on like GTFO). There are many things onscreen demanding your attention all at once: your action bars, the boss's health, the boss's cast bars, procs, buffs, debuffs, adds (if applicable to the fight), chat, etc. Speaking for myself, my eyes are usually somewhere other than at my character's feet, because if I stare at that spot the whole fight I'll miss other important stuff. There are of course UI mods to move more important things to the center of the screen, but not everyone uses them, because the game is perfectly playable with the standard UI.
    I can usually tell I'm standing in fire because I see fire underneath my character. It's a foolproof system. Being aware of everything on your screen isn't that hard IMO. Just scan it in sections, the same way you should scan your field of vision driving a car. You don't just look at the road in front of you, or your mirrors, or your gauges. You check them all frequently.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1710171424
    ^Crap like this is why battle.net threads get locked. Blizzard is not on a crusade against you.

Quote Originally Posted by ThemsAllTook View Post
    Yep and if you still aren't aware you're on fire, you're stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're DPS there's only two things you need to pay attention to.
    1: if you're taking damage.(though mechanics, fire, your own stupidity)
    2: what the raid/group leader is telling you to do.

beyond that, hit the boss and don't die.

if your situation is #1, move, if moving doesn't help, call for aid(through a clever macro of course!, or vent.)
    if your situation is #2, do it.

if you're not taking damage, and you're not being told to do anything special(like stand there and don't hit stuff), then go kill the boss. This shit ain't complicated.

what i would do is keep you at 10-20% life and let you die right after the pull or right before the pull ends. this is lol, especially when you do it to tanks.

Slightly off-topic

I put my foot in my mouth last night.

I chewed some pug rogue out on a guild daily random heroic. First he died to Rom'oggs whirlwind and then got transformed on Corla. After calling him a dumbshit I realized he had just never been to the instance before and I felt like an ass. So I apologized and told him that we'd be glad to tell him how the fights works he just needs to speak up.

Problem with some groups (especially groups with people from the same guild), is that if the player is new to an instance they're afraid to speak up. Some elitist douche bag will probably start pissing and moaning, or even vote kick them from the group for being new.

Please let the group know if you're not familiar with an instance before disaster strikes. If they are the kind of assholes that'd kick you from the group for being new, you shouldn't want to be in their group anyways. They'll probably do something retarded like roll on a piece of loot against you to help their friend win it.

If you're the kind of ass that kicks someone from the group for being new, grow the fuck up and take two seconds to help them out. You were a noob too once. And if you're the awesome helpful person that tries to take the two seconds to help them and they freak out and start talking shit about how they're the pro and you're the noob. They can go fucking enjoy their new 40 minute queue after a swift vote kick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maisey View Post
    If it were just the fire... but, there are tons of dps that do not grasp the importance of interrupt. There are tanks that don't grasp the need for cc. In the end, healers are left holding the bag for missed mechanics more than anyone else. And, if we just "shut up and heal" it will never fix. We'll burn out. No one will want to heal except masochists. And, then what?

Shut up and interrupt. Shut up and cc. Shut up and get out of the fire...

I have had alot of healers, tell me to stop CCing.. They go " i can handle it". Most of the time they can. i am a tank, im also a geared tank. I only cc mobs, if there are 2 are more.

For all the people talking about standing in the fire, give them a break, alot of people have crappy computers and have the graphics down low. My friend has his graphics so low, he can barely see Death and decay. So please take that stuff into consideration.

Oh yeah, i really hate when the DPS never use there interrupts. It drives me nuts. But i will ask them to do it when possible. Im am a bear tank, i can interrupt every 10 seconds. I do when ever i can,(it stops alot of dmg).

I got a priest in grim batol who told me my 152k buffed hp were "awfully low for a heroic". He proceeded to type out lots of random bs during the throngus fight, not exactly "you all suck", but essentially stuff along those lines. In fact, however, the group didn't suck. They moved behind him during the shield phase. They moved out of falling rocks. I did my part, kiting him during mace phase and popping CDs for DW. After 2 wipes the priest left, we got a holy paladin replacement who finished the fight with 80% mana and commented on it being a solid group.

In fact most of my experiences with healers who have a serious attitude problem have been with priests.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently leveling up my resto druid at the moment he's around 74 and the amount of crap I get for not being able to keep up dps standing in fire and tanks wearing spellpower leather is ridiculous. Don't even want to picture how bad 85 healers have it..