Disc and mana issues.

I know this isn't the best gear, but I find myself going OOM quite fast in 5 mans as I'm trying to gear. I need tips from either my spec, gems, addons, or a "rotation" or priority system for disc priests that help them not go oom.

The forums arent allowing me to post url's so please look up Imnotgood on Burning Legion. Would be much appreciated.

Please help <33

Use efficient heals and don't heal idiots who like to stand in the bad stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you spamming shields? That is easily one of the fastest ways to go oom.

Your spec is a little off. Using renew isn't as effective as disc as it is holy, usually those points go in divine fury; reflective shield is useless in PVE; barrier is ridiculously strong especially if you aren't geared out. Strength of Soul is kind of useless in PVE, but it's decent filler if you need it due to not taking atonement and archangel.

Oh no, you're looking at my PvP spec. Check the primary one.

---------- Post added 2011-04-03 at 11:30 PM ----------

And no, I don't spam shields.

---------- Post added 2011-04-03 at 11:44 PM ----------

Any more help?

track rapture - profit

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    just make sure you are letting your aegis work for you.. as a disc priest you will be doing less "healing" and more damage prevention... if you are healing reactively and trying to keep everyone topped off.. you will not be able to keep up..

in 5 mans.. save your PWS for the tank.. and also try to let the bubble be fully consumed.. if you are refreshing your PWS before it expires you will never get the mana return..

also don't be afraid to use PoH.. since it will proc aegis regardless of whether or not you crit..

otherwise just try to use PoM/renew and heal where applicable..

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You reforged spirit off of you helm. You also seem to be reforging everything on your gear to everything else. Some pieces you reforge to crit and then other pieces you reforge out of crit. Is there a specific reason why you are doing this?

Armory isn't working so I can't look at that.
    Now Casual Holy/Disc Priest: Summer of 2011

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by alexyuh123 View Post
    What addon?
    Ingela's Rapture on curse.com cant link it

---------- Post added 2011-04-04 at 05:23 PM ----------

lol at ur reforges sorry but thats funny :S you reforge all ur crit into mastery/spirit and then reforge mastery back into crit, and spirit back into haste?!?. At lower gear levels you generally dont reforge out of spirit and the only thing u want to reforge out of is crit and haste(not always the case... depending on playstyle) into mastery

Also all your gear has non enchants 8 missing enchants
    Last edited by Kent1000; 2011-04-04 at 05:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drop atonement. IIRC it costs more mana to atonement->archangel than it returns mana. Use heal/penance, make sure you're letting rapture do it's thing while being mindful of the CD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't tried disc, but if you are gearing up maybe you should try and reforge to some spirit. WHen you get the gear you want you can drop the spirit. Also try and use efficient heals. Know the encounters well and act accordingly.

for some reason battle net wont let me see your talents, just see in which trees you put points in discipline build, so ill base on that. im only gonna refer to struggling in 5man, all the stuff gets a bit different with better gear and raid challenges.

1. 2/2 veiled shadows - i see 0 points in shadow tree, veiled shadows are awesome if you struggle with mana.

2. 33 points in disc tree, im guessing you run atonement - maybe try pure healing build for the start, to get familiar with all the mechanics as they are now, once you start feeling comfortable healing as disc you can always go back to archangel if you enjoy it

3. lots of mastery on very little haste, im not fan of such stats setup for the start - i stacked haste (was over 10% iirc) for first 5 man hcs, and used really a lot of 'heal', i admit it was before changes to shields but if you struggle with mana im not sure if pushing on shields is any good for you, and trying to shield less definitely makes mastery a bit less attractive.

4. mandatory inner will, never use flash heal, use 'heal' when you can, poh, pom, penance are your friends, greater heal try to stick to tank, heal yourself with binding heal (assuming someone else takes dmg same time), inner focus is what you want to track, notice, that sometimes the whole encounter gets easier when you let certain dps die at the start, instead of wasting tones of mana on that little fire-lover. remember to use pi on yourself (yes, all dpsers will hate you, but it does decrease mana cost of spells)

5. keep gearing up and remember to use enchants, like spirit on chest/bracers (as for this stage), int on cloak, you should start feeling very comfortable with mana once you hit round 2,5k combat regen, as for now you can try some spirit food/elixirs maybe, if you dont struggle with gold.

I know I greatly outgear heroics now, but a DA poh shield, a normal shield, and smite healing almost always is enough. :P

Deleted
    When I started gearing up my disco priest in hc's with ilvl333 average to start with, I was pissing blood and oom'd like a motha, sometimes after each trash pull even, depending on the amount of CC used. But it got progressively easier to the point of just having a quick drink before a boss and just going over the trash. I just conserve mana, if there's REALLY retarded dps that does crap damage and stands in all kinds of shit, I don't even bother to waste mana on them and I just leave them on the ground for most of the time and we still get shit done.
    I've gotten the crafted belt, valor boots and Tsunami trinket and the rest is 346 with a few 333's hanging about, but I've got no problems with neither throughput nor sustainability.

TL;DR - just take it like a man / woman and it'll get really easier once you start getting 346 gear, at that point you'll barely notice your mana bar in a heroic dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizeth View Post
    Drop atonement. IIRC it costs more mana to atonement->archangel than it returns mana. Use heal/penance, make sure you're letting rapture do it's thing while being mindful of the CD.
    Archangel is not meant to be a mana return...

Atonement spec is just fine, and Archangel is a good boost for when the healing gets rough.

However, if you're still in 333/346 I suggest going Holy as it's much more forgiving on lower gear levels.

Oh,and reading the Sticky in the "Read before posting" thread helps.
    Last edited by Vook; 2011-04-04 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Just a few tips since most have been mentioned:
    Greater Heal + Inner Focus is your friend. It makes GHeal efficient enough to warrant its constant use (assuming you have ToT 2/2).

When you get Borrowed Time, it would be a good idea to use Penance first since Penance does get affected by the haste, but it does not consume BT, allowing you to use BT for a follow up GHeal or PoH.

Power Infusion is a great tool to use in emergencies since its 20% mana reduction component makes it mana neutral (ie the mana you spent from activating PI will be offset by the mana you save from your next spells).

When out of mana, time Hymn of Hope with Shadowfiend, BT and PI (and any int procs you have) for maximum returns.

Using hoh with bt and pi is a good tip, I haven't ever bothered to line that up. Thanks!

Disc in Cata is extremely notorious for our unbelievably slow sustainability scaling with lower gear levels, then jumps considerably with raid gear [due to rapture].

Its also very spiky as our main source of sustainability relies on rapture, and if you aren't getting your proc to as close to every 12sec as possible, you'll notice a significant difference, which is where Ignela's Rapture helps out.

Furthermore, Disc can put out respectable HPS for very little relative cost, but can pump insane HPS for insane costs via PW:S. Understanding when and where to do this is one of the marks of a solid Disc priest.

Take a raid healing Disc priest, for example, on H. Maloriak. You can start out with smiting the boss before the adds spawn in purple phase, usually being able to proc a rapture and use AA x5 once, which should bring you back up to 100% mana.

Then adds spawn and melee will most likely be taking significant damage as they try to position around the pools. Here you can pop your SF as you'll most likely be casting a significant number of PW:S, mixing in Aton on the skull target.

Barring poor play from Melee, you should enter into red or blue phase at a respectable level of mana. Blue phase is a fairly nominal net mana loss [if not gain] regardless of role as your single target healing is extremely efficient. Red phase is a moderate level of mana loss, with casting PW:B, PoH, and triage PW:S on the lowest members.

You'll then enter another purple phase where you'll spend a significant amount of mana, followed by a red/blue. You should be able to drop your HoH+SF combo during early blue phase to bring yourself back up to a respectable enough mana level to enter the burn phase.

Now all you need to do is manage your mana relative to the boss' health bar, attempting to end the fight with as little mana left without running dry [playing smartly, OFC].

On a fight like this its very easy to forget your rapture procs, or over do PW:S, or even panic and cast more FH than you need. Disc, more than any other healer that I can think of, needs to intrinsically understand the damage patterns of each section of the fight that you'll see on every health bar to perform well and not feel like your manabar has a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    Disc, more than any other healer that I can think of, needs to intrinsically understand the damage patterns of each section of the fight that you'll see on every health bar to perform well and not feel like your manabar has a leak.
    That's really the part that gives me a lot of enjoyment in playing disc, and when you do it well the results show it.