10+ Year Old Account
    I think the term successful is also up for debate. One might consider a game that DIDNT' go free to play yet (FFXIV) as being successful, but in comparison to subbers, the numbers are so low some people couldn't honestly say having 2 mil players is successful against a game with 7 million players.

I think GW2 was successful for what it wants. I think that the players they currently have are loyal and I think that ANET is okay with that. They aren't looking for more players though imo which does give me a feel that they've prolly given up that path. Kind of like a "this is as good as it gets".

Yes, they're putting an expac out, but at the same time for the LONGEST time everyone was under the impression there would never be an expac, simply more living worlds or the new things would just be patched in over time. The expac can be seen either as the game is successful or as an omen that they need more money.

Do I consider GW2 successful? Overall, meh, maybe? Personally, sure. I play it once every few months, maybe less but I enjoy the short time I play, and since it's free I don't really have to worry about a sub.
    Would I pay for GW2 if they had a sub? Ohhh no. Not at all for me. The game for me is a casual event grinder. Sure I pay for dyes or weapon skins. I've thrown a couple of tens down at them. But I could never pay monthly to play, I simply don't enjoy it -that- much.

I think that if most games were looked at it in that view "would I pay 15$ a month to play this", it'd be a lot easier to see which ones where successful or not. Some get played simply because they're a one time fee and that's done. Others have tried a sub and failed, few have tried the sub and succeed.

All of the above is personal opinion. I'm not a video game economist or a business major for video games. I base success simply on how I see things. Kinda like with destiny. A billion people complain about the game, how they hate it, yadda yaddda, a billion people play that game. Sorry yo, that games successful. It keeps people, lots of people. Not all so casual one time logs in a month people either. Retainability even through the hardest times.

Oh, and FFXIV is doing just fine for itself. Made it to an expansion without going free to play and still boasting healthy numbers. Props to that.
    Last edited by Tazila; 2015-06-13 at 03:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree'd with you. Especially on the last part. Some people don't release that retaining 1-2 mil players on an MMO is very successful.

I agree for the content. Tbqh I'm fine with just jumping on event trains and doing events after events and stuff, but I'd like there to just be something else I guess for me.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    So these were datamined today to be coming to the gem store soon. Immediately thought of the pic above. Every human female mesmer in the game will be getting these.

http://dulfy.net/2015/07/07/gw2-upco...-july-7-patch/

So these were datamined today to be coming to the gem store soon. Immediately thought of the pic above. Every human female mesmer in the game will be getting these.

Prrreettttyyyyy. I need to stop noticing the things they put in the cash shop, because it usually ends with me buying it -______-

Deleted

Oh hell no.

Deleted
    One of those times when I wish you could dye backpieces... *sigh*

I somewhat love the idea behind the butterfly wings, but the color looks pretty horrid to me. And I swear if they end up releasing more of these, each with different color... Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    One of those times when I wish you could dye backpieces... *sigh*

I somewhat love the idea behind the butterfly wings, but the color looks pretty horrid to me. And I swear if they end up releasing more of these, each with different color... Urgh.
    I was just thinking this exact thing :/ I think for now I am going to keep my green day dreamer wings... I feel like it's more likely than not they'll do different color versions of these wings.

Those butterfly wings on my norn male would be so...ironic.

I'm really curious about what Ranger Druids will be like. I wanna knowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I'm really curious about what Ranger Druids will be like. I wanna knowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    Me toooooooooo! But it looks like this week is Tempest and I'm ok with that because Ele is my other main

Deleted

I'm genuinely disappointed that Elementalists get a warhorn... Definitely the last weapon on my list I was hoping to see Eles would get. Fingers crossed the specialization is awesome, otherwise my second Elementalist will be pretty invalid and I probably won't even bother leveling her...

Um you don't have to use warhorn or tempest so why would your ele be invalid?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Um you don't have to use warhorn or tempest so why would your ele be invalid?
    Because my second Elementalist was supposed to get the specialization, that's why. :P I'm not saying Tempest will be bad or anything, I'm just disappointed about the new weapon of choice. Just kind of... Cautious. As I said, idk will I bother leveling her if I don't like Tempest and/or warhorn in the end.

Because my second Elementalist was supposed to get the specialization, that's why. :P I'm not saying Tempest will be bad or anything, I'm just disappointed about the new weapon of choice. Just kind of... Cautious. As I said, idk will I bother leveling her if I don't like Tempest and/or warhorn in the end.
    You can just switchs specs on your main ele so a second ele is pretty much invalid regardless and again you don't have to use the warhorn.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You can just switchs specs on your main ele so a second ele is pretty much invalid regardless and again you don't have to use the warhorn.
    ... I just want(ed) two Elementalists to play them differently, is that so absurd to understand? Ô_o All I'm saying is that if the intention I was wanting to level up the second Elementalist for is not anywhere interesting to me after all, the whole process becomes meaningless.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ... I just want(ed) two Elementalists to play them differently, is that so absurd to understand?
    At the risk of sounding offensive, yes. It is absurd. You can accomplish the same desire by playing the same character except saving yourself twice the effort of leveling and any other progression afterwards. Considering you can easily switch skills and can have multiple gear sets on one character...it's very counter intuitive.

Far be it from me to judge you personally, but the only tangible benefit from having two of the same class is purely cosmetic. Perhaps I'm missing something though, idk.
    BAD WOLF

I've got duplicates of a few classes, maybe if GW2 had a gear manager and spec changer, but it's usually easier to just have another alt, especially if you're buying double gear anyway. There's also different racials, and of course the cosmetic stuff.

Plus, leveling alts is what you do when there's no new content.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Plus, leveling alts is what you do when there's no new content.
    There are 8, soon to be 9 classes. I guess if you play this game 24/7 and spent money unlocking tons of character slots you would be able to do that? More power to those people, definitely not for me. Even with the scrolls and xp rewards from various things I only have 3 level 80s. One was power leveled with all of my crafting mats. I guess it's perfectly feasible, but I just see no motivation.

Then again, I've never seen a reason to have multiples of any class in any MMO unless it was on a different server, which doesn't apply to GW2 really. Maybe it's just me. I don't see racials being enough of a difference to warrant a gameplay reason for it...so in the end I'm still left to resolve it's only cosmetic or arbitrary. I can at least understand the cosmetic difference, though that could still be accomplished with a different class. It's the arbitrary reason that seems to defy logic.

Again, not judging...just stating.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Well, that's your point of view. I know people who have easily 3-4 different characters of the same class, each with different gear, race, skills, stat priorities etc. I see nothing weird in wanting to have multiples of the same class, I personally find it slightly frustrating when the counter argument is always "But you can totally do that on one character!". So what? I might want one character for PvE and one for WvW/PvP. I might want one character who's a tank build for soloing and farming, and another who's a glass cannon for world bosses, dungeons and fractals. I don't see it being counter productive AT ALL. It gives me something to do, and it saves me the trouble of carrying up to 4-5 different sets of armors and weapons in my bags all the time.

I know some people just want one character of each class (if not even that) and are perfectly happy with it. I personally have 12 character slots, 11 of which are already taken and one is free for keyfarming before I can make a Revenant, so of course I'm bound to have duplicates. One of them is an Elementalist whom I hoped to specialize, and right now I'm having doubts about that decision. I also have two Rangers and two Necromancers, and I'm perfectly happy about having two of each.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's your point of view.
    I have stated as such.
    I know people who have easily 3-4 different characters of the same class, each with different gear, race, skills, stat priorities etc. I see nothing weird in wanting to have multiples of the same class, I personally find it slightly frustrating when the counter argument is always "But you can totally do that on one character!". So what?
    You know a lot of illogical people then, unless you are telling me that the cosmetic difference or minimal impact of a racial radically alters your experience. I won't understand it, but at least I'll know the reason.

I might want one character for PvE and one for WvW/PvP. I might want one character who's a tank build for soloing and farming, and another who's a glass cannon for world bosses, dungeons and fractals. I don't see it being counter productive AT ALL. It gives me something to do, and it saves me the trouble of carrying up to 4-5 different sets of armors and weapons in my bags all the time.
    Bag space is a legitimate reason, especially given the cost to acquire said space. I personally don't think that would warrant rolling 4 of the same class, which is quite severe, but I also highly value my time. YMMV.

I don't understand the hostility in being told you are doing something counter productive when discussing game design. It's just a matter of facts. You can accomplish most of what you want on one character with a drastically reduced effort. It's like saying I can either walk in a straight line to get in my house or I can run 5 laps around the block, then run zig zags to my front porch, then pace back and forth before actually going in my house. Perhaps all of that activity was enjoyable, but please understand it's going to be considered illogical.

No one said you had to be logical or that you can't have fun being illogical. Your fun is entirely your own and I apologize if that wasn't made clear...this is why I said I'm not judging, merely stating. No eyerolls warranted b/c someone doesn't 'get' you.
    BAD WOLF