Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm reading a collection of Lovecrafts stories. I've been wanting to read them for a while now, and I'm really glad I finally got the time to do it

The Books of the South by Glen Cook

Deleted
    "Viriconium" by M. John Harrison.

It's one of those dying-earth-fiction books, way past in the future when people have lost the ability to replicate, but can still use (if not necessarily understand) highly advanced technology.
    Got into those kindsa sci-fantasy when I snooped around Lovecraft's contemporaries and found Clark Ashton Smith, who wrote a whole collection of short stories in that genre, the Zothique-cycle (linksie to a collection of most of his tales: http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/) , and I guess, he kinda started it. I think actually I like him more than HPL because he's way more poetic and varied in his approach to stories, doesn't shy away from love, either, which is good, because HPL always feels very, very ... unemotional. Always felt weird to me, like he was afraid of women, even the mention, even tho I dislike lovestories usually. Not sure how I found Viriconium, but I liked the name somehow, think it has some associations with the Gormenghast trilogy (esp. in that both are about somewhat fantastical places with weird names paried with the beauty of their decay), --incidentally also a fave of mine --tho I'm only halfway into the second book of Gorm.
    Last edited by mmoc793587eee1; 2013-08-20 at 02:24 PM.

Joyland by Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Aven Reddins View Post
    I am re-reading Catching Fire right now. I think the next new book I'm looking to read is going to be Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. I am also working on my own YA book so I feel like reading these helps me along.
    The first two Hunger Games books were okay, but that third book made my brain bleed because it was so terrible. The story was terrible and the writing was actually even worse, I'm pretty sure she let a neighborhood kid with ADD write it. Without spoiling anything in particular to those who haven't read the fucking thing, major characters are killed off in half a sentence to the most random shit while a child gets blown up, eaten by lizards from space, caught on fire or shot in the face every other page, all described in great, gory detail, and there's not even any emotion in it. I wrote stories with more emotion and thought put into them before I was even 10 years old. That alone is enough to make me never bother touching that series again.

Anyways, I've read LoTR twice, the Hobbit thrice, and I am finally reading The Silmarillion for the first time.

Deleted
    Harry Potter and Half Blood prince i love HP !!

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    The first two Hunger Games books were okay, but that third book made my brain bleed because it was so terrible. The story was terrible and the writing was actually even worse, I'm pretty sure she let a neighborhood kid with ADD write it. Without spoiling anything in particular to those who haven't read the fucking thing, major characters are killed off in half a sentence to the most random shit while a child gets blown up, eaten by lizards from space, caught on fire or shot in the face every other page, all described in great, gory detail, and there's not even any emotion in it. I wrote stories with more emotion and thought put into them before I was even 10 years old. That alone is enough to make me never bother touching that series again.
    You realize this is the entire point behind the story right? It is a world where kids fight to the death. You should have known that after reading the first two books. There is really nothing worse in the third book than in the first two.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Deleted
    I'm reading blood of elves atm and I really like it

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    You realize this is the entire point behind the story right? It is a world where kids fight to the death. You should have known that after reading the first two books. There is really nothing worse in the third book than in the first two.
    I'm not talking about the kids fighting to death, if you've read the third book you would know that doesn't even happen in the third one. I'm talking about how important characters die to the most random bullshit in half a sentence and no fucks are given but then some random kid that has nothing to do with the story meets their demise in great detail, the author put no emotion into the story itself so I didn't feel anything reading it. I mean it's basically like 'and then in the next hall their were blue iguanas from space and they were mean and main character x got eaten and Katniss ran to the ladder and made it up to the street level. Then there was a bunch of people crowded together on the street and Katniss couldn't figure out why. Most of them were children, and then she heard the shots and they were loud and the children screamed in agony as they were all shot down by the bad men on the rooftops. A boy near Katniss was shot in the face and his brains were oozing out of his eyes...' That's literally how the entire second half of the book is written. Terrible.

It's a terrible and rushed piece of work, I didn't want to finish it but I was invested enough in the story having read the first two that I wanted to know the outcome. Very disappointed.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2013-08-21 at 08:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im reading Seeds, volume 1. I read the original version when the author had it up on an amature author site and when i heard she had finaly published it. i couldnt resist to read it again. Its been changed a bit but i still like it.

On the side i am reading War of the spider Queen. I dont know if i like it or i if dont. But there are so many plots and everything is so over the top. This is just an example of how i feel. Lets say it was a story about a dinosaur. i feel like who ever wrote this went so over the top that it is now a story about a robot-ninja-disco-dinosaur who is melting people with a lazor beam on his head. o_O Some examples in the book would be
    Quenthel having a multi-headed snake whip that she can cominicate with and conrol telepathicaly.
    Quenthels brother trying to kill her and summoing a demon made completely of eyeballs.
    The Matron having a were wolf demon son.
    Pharum and ryld's fight with greyana.

And recently i had just finished reading kick ass and kick ass 2. i really liked it and would recomend it. (dont go see the movie for kick ass 2. it was bad lol)

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seduiri View Post
    a story about a robot-ninja-disco-dinosaur who is melting people with a lazor beam on his head. o_O
    Someone really needs to write this story. For realsies.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    I'm very bored so I've picked up at random "Three Restoration Comedies". I've been reading the Introduction. It's fascinating how depressing history can be, basically the gist is that in response to the Theatre closures and severe moral strictures of Puritan England, Restoration Drama was made to be very bawdy and free-spirited.

But on the other hand, the monarchy of Charles I had already put into process the restriction of Theatre to private, richer audiences - subsequently most of Restoration Drama is only really aimed at the upper classes, whereas back in Shakespeare's time the Theatre was open to everyone.
    Last edited by mmoc2f7dfebfb1; 2013-08-23 at 08:17 PM.

I just started reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and I am really enjoying it. I really like how he just sort of drops you in and leaves you to workout things your own, and then when he does get around to explaining things he does it in a way that feel organic to the story. Also does a great job of knowing what to reveal and what to keep hidden

10+ Year Old Account
    Misery by Stephen King. If I could manage to find it.

Deleted
    Malazan Book of the Fallen: Memories of Ice (Book 3) by Steven Erikson

First 2 books have left me with my mind blown....
    Third one is even more epic, hands down best fantasy books I've ever read.
    Luckily there are 10 books in total so have plenty left to enjoy ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in school so my reading list has been commandeered by English professors. What I have to read in two weeks:

The Epic of Gilgamesh
    A Journal of the Plague Year
    Equiano, The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano

Deleted
    Arthas:Rise of the Lich King (heard mixed opinions on these WoW themed books, but as ex player decided to snatch one for myself for Autumn reads).

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashelor View Post

Reading this at the moment too, loved the first two, though they are pretty disturbing in bits, which makes them not the best choice right before bed, which is when I usually read...

Also rereading for like, the 8th time, The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. Brilliant start to a brilliant trilogy - funny and very inventive - albeit pretty light-hearted - fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashelor View Post

Cherish #3 because that's the best one.

But then again, if you liked #1 I guess you'll probably like the more boring ones as well...

The journey is complete. Finished The Wheel of Time series. Must say the series ended up very satisfying. I also read the Stephen King/Joe Hill short story In the Tall Grass yesterday. It was really odd reading something that wasn't in the Wheel of Time Universe. Now I'm reading Joe Hill's NOS4A2.