Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamffer View Post
    Yahtzee has never and will never be a "reviewer". He has even stated this himself like a million times. He is a critic, who tear up games in videos, while trying to be funny. Stop thinking about his vidoes as reviews because they are not.

I must say I never expected him to do a video WoW, just like he refuses to make one with Starcraft 2. Most say he actually said a lot of nice things, way more than I expected.
    ...Except for the part at the beginnig where it clearly states he is "reviewing" WoW Cataclysm in the title sequence. Splitting hairs over 'review' vs 'crituque' doesn't cover up the fact that he isn't funny. Movie 'critics' 'review' movies after all. Sorry, there is a lot of really funny stuff on WoW and gaming in general (the spoof of the Cataclysm trailer via Youtube is the first thing to pop into my head) and he just comes off as forced and unoriginal....and this is coming from someone who is a HUGE fan of British humor (Montey Python, The IT Crowd, etc).

Honestly I'm not a fan of his work. The first few were funny because it was new. After a while the charm wore off and it became, "how many mismatched objects can he string together to make a nonsensical analogy that has nothing to do with what you're talking about?" Hobo in space with a wheelchair drinking Zima. I just did his job. Anyway, with it concerning WoW I was a little curious on what he had to say.

Like others, I'm surprised he didn't go totally nuts over tearing WoW a new one. Overall par for the course though, except for a few things that bothered me. His assertion that "grats" is a programmed response is, I believe, misguided. While it is true some people do grats over the seemingly insignificant achievements, the response is meant as a affirmation of accomplishment to players. True level ten may be nothing to you, but it's something other players never made it to before. So getting that achievement and acknowledgment from your community helps in pushing people to feel good playing. It's not a programmed response, it's merely a courtesy to others. It would be like criticizing someone for saying congratulations on completing a degree.

While "grats" and Pavlov's dogs have similar core concepts, "A" happens so "B" must happen next, they differ on many levels. Pavlov's dogs tap's into pattern recognition while "grats" is associated with user happiness and enjoyment. Pavlov's dogs is an experiment on conditioning, while "grats" is meant as a way to encourage other players to continue playing. Pavlov creates a distinct master and slave relationship, and "grats" creates a more cyclical community aura. Connecting the two in a meaningful way seems like stretching to me. You would have look at both in very infantile terms to see large similarities. Just my viewpoint though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flock to bow down before my numbers!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoecus View Post
    Honestly I'm not a fan of his work. The first few were funny because it was new. After a while the charm wore off and it became, "how many mismatched objects can he string together to make a nonsensical analogy that has nothing to do with what you're talking about?" Hobo in space with a wheelchair drinking Zima. I just did his job. Anyway, with it concerning WoW I was a little curious on what he had to say.

Like others, I'm surprised he didn't go totally nuts over tearing WoW a new one. Overall par for the course though, except for a few things that bothered me. His assertion that "grats" is a programmed response is, I believe, misguided. While it is true some people do grats over the seemingly insignificant achievements, the response is meant as a affirmation of accomplishment to players. True level ten may be nothing to you, but it's something other players never made it to before. So getting that achievement and acknowledgment from your community helps in pushing people to feel good playing. It's not a programmed response, it's merely a courtesy to others. It would be like criticizing someone for saying congratulations on completing a degree.

While "grats" and Pavlov's dogs have similar core concepts, "A" happens so "B" must happen next, they differ on many levels. Pavlov's dogs tap's into pattern recognition while "grats" is associated with user happiness and enjoyment. Pavlov's dogs is an experiment on conditioning, while "grats" is meant as a way to encourage other players to continue playing. Pavlov creates a distinct master and slave relationship, and "grats" creates a more cyclical community aura. Connecting the two in a meaningful way seems like stretching to me. You would have look at both in very infantile terms to see large similarities. Just my viewpoint though.
    Everything he does is meant in a joking, funny manner. You start off by acknowledging that it's all meant to be funny, and then proceed to take it seriously and try to logically argue against it.

Really?

I was merely bothered by others agreeing with his statement. I suppose I should have clarified. Yahtzee is just one of those people that seem to confuse people on serious discussion and entertainment. It just bothers me to see people agree with his passing comments and act on them. Felt it was slightly worth my time to write out why not to in a serious tone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Psych class?

You learn all about Pavlov's experiments in 7th grade social studies.
    lol 7th grade? I don't remember that, then again that was like 20 years ago or so. I just remember spending a day in my psych class in college talking about that.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

"anyone who wants to bring up endgame content can feel free to suck an orc's willy!" XD
    No. No no no no nononnonon

Ok, I watched it. Its entertaining but not my favorite reveiw. He has some that make me literally laugh out loud. This one made me smile at most.

I think its mint when he tells people to suck on a green Lok'tar :P

Deleted

Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw finaly did it :)

Hey guys just thought this was an interesting bit of news

Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw finally did a review of WoW so i defo suggest to check it out

Seems i cant type in a link tho so just google zero punctuation, youll be able to find it.

Damn brilliant

Link

Always enjoyed his reviews, this was no different.

15+ Year Old Account
    lol!! I love it

Phew, that most likely was one of the few episodes where Ia cctually udnerstood what he was talking about. Hell no, its not because its complicated stuff..

Ijustdontunderstandhowhemanagesnottostumbleoverhisownfreakigntongue.

Who is he, and why is it that this matters?

That was great. Good find.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joels View Post
    Who is he, and why is it that this matters?
    Hmmm? You don't know who Yahtzee is? Seriously? And you thought that asking us who this was (he's one of the most famous video game reviewers on the planet if not the most famous) instead of googling him was a good idea?

There was a thread about the review two or three days ago but eh... Yeah, I was surprised he actually did a review of WoW, and there was a lot of praise for the game (shocking, I know). Even before Cataclysm, he never actually said WoW was a bad game. It had great gameplay, interesting quests, gradual progression and the graphic style was unique and has aged well (his words). Still, he bashes it for being a black hole and an addict fest since it makes you a drone (as in programming you to think, perform actions on a daily basis... which, come to think of it, it is kinda true). While his criticism might be a bit exaggerated, some of the points he covers are mostly grounded in fact. Mostly

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol "its all about numbers who has the biggest numbers and using those numbers to destroy other player's numbers until they stare at you in awe and jealousy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    There was a thread about the review two or three days ago but eh
    Try yesterday.

It isn't even past page 3.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    I was waiting to see if he would review this. Based on his other reviews I'd say that one was relatively positive.