Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    isnt it only $99 +tax.
    but it is pretty, nice. i will be putting it on my next build.

Buy the OEM version, they're cheaper and you don't lose anything. As for the V -> 7 upgrade, definately worth it.

I would say it's worth it.

I have a MSDN subscription from work though, so never payed anything for Microsoft products

I downgraded to XP again after a few month of Vista, though I heard it has become a bit better since (can't really agree with that, my mother runs Vista and it's just horrible in comparison)
    Last edited by Knuffelbert; 2011-01-22 at 10:50 AM.

I honestly prefer Vista over Windows 7 and I will tell you why.

#1 they changed the start menu and you do not have the option to return it to the classic style
    #2 They have a windows theme called Classic but it looks like the default setup of Vista not the real classic theme.
    #3 all the options for power users have been stripped away.

In short Windows7 makes Windows a Macintosh Clone

Deleted
    Absolutely not! Linux can do anything a Mac or Windows OS can do, for free!
    Linux > everything else, i honestly don't know why people still use Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    Absolutely not! Linux can do anything a Mac or Windows OS can do, for free!
    Except run all of those windows/osx programs natively.

Either way, Win7 is an amazing OS, please switch to Win7 over Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post

#1 they changed the start menu and you do not have the option to return it to the classic style
    #2 They have a windows theme called Classic but it looks like the default setup of Vista not the real classic theme.

I missed the start menu for a week maximum, loved to use the new one. Firefox is for me Windowskey -> F -> Enter. Visual Studio 2010 is the same just with "201". Never clicked the "all programs" thing ever again. I guess it depends how you use it. The search feature (for folders and so on) is an abomination compared to XP unfortunately, the only thing I miss now though. What power user features are you referring too?

"Absolutely not! Linux can do anything a Mac or Windows OS can do, for free!
    Linux > everything else, i honestly don't know why people still use Windows. "

Like all the games running on Windows? Visual Studio? .Net 4 (or any past the Mono version, still stuck at 2 or thereabouts)? If that changed, it changed recently. I am aware that this works the other way around too, but most "mainstream" applications do have a windows version, the other way around not so much. I would never recommend a computer illiterate friend a Linux or OSX system, as I'm not always around when they need fixing it. Any neighbor with a teenage son however can fix Windows (Never seen Windows 7 break though)
    Last edited by Knuffelbert; 2011-01-22 at 11:32 AM.

Deleted
    I don't see why you would need to run anything natively, Wine is incredibly good right now imo.
    So yes, you can run most games, haven't tried visual studio or .net though

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say yes personally. When I got this PC I went with Vista 32 and I had no problems with it whatsoever. The main reason I switched to 7 was because I wanted to go 64 bit while also getting the new features, I also got is pretty cheap through pre-order. I have yet to experience a Bsod with vista or 7 and I have been using 7 since launch.

I have so far used 3.0, 95, Me, Xp, Vista, 7. And 7 has impressed me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post

1-2) You can turn down the effects and other stuff in new menu & desktop until it looks and feels like Win2K. Don't blame your lack of knowledge or trying as software faults.

3) Like what? On the contrary the amount of control panel-ish stuff has only increased with 7, but all of those are not in the start menu by default, and meant for actual power users.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

How much ram are you using? and if you have a copy of xp use that and save some money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    I don't see why you would need to run anything natively, Wine is incredibly good right now imo.
    So yes, you can run most games, haven't tried visual studio or .net though
    Unless, of course, you have an AMD graphics card. In that case, you have extremely poor driver support for OpenGL, which will lead to very poor framerate (usually half the normal framerate in DirectX). Also, there is the possibility of programs not working in WINE. For instance, NHL 09 by EA has zero WINE support and refuses to even start. Linux is a good solution for some, but not for most.

Windows 7...worth it?

So I've been thinking about upgrading my laptop to windows 7 lately. Is it really that much better then Vista in terms of performance?

About my comp use, really just WoW, netflix, Facebook, and a ton of word processing, (online courses and other paperwork I have to do)

I'm in the military and it's a bit cheaper at the PX, same price as student edition.

Thoughts? Would like more then lolololitsux

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraMagus View Post
    RIP Cairne Bloodhoof

You died like you lived

Fucking clueless

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    i like it waaaay more than vista. but hey thats just me

10+ Year Old Account
    Took me ages to upgrade, have yet to regret it.
    Everything just...works.
    Thundercunts and stuff

Deleted
    With the latest patches, the difference between Vista and win7 aren't that large, performance-wise. If you don't use your machine anything more than webbrowsing, webtv and word-processing, don't waste the money.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont know about performance on laptops but mine increased considerably from Vista to 7 (64 bit) on my desktop

definately worth installing it!

Deleted
    The main thing really is the memory usage is a lot better in 7 than Vista. If you were on a machine with 4gb or more RAM it is unlikely you would notice the difference.

You can quite easily run into walls performance wise on a Vista machine with only 1 or 2gb RAM.

I probably wouldn't upgrade from Vista to 7 just for the sake of it though. Realistically RAM is cheaper than an OS even if you get a student version.

Windows 7 is overall a lot better than Vista but you aren't going to be thinking your computer is running 200% faster unless you are really RAM starved.

From XP to 7 is more of a worthy upgrade mainly because directx 9 is being phased out in game support and XP does not support directx 10 unless you use a 3rd party upgrade which I would not personally touch with a barge pole. This alone has caused a lot of performance issues for people which dissapear when they upgrade to either Vista or 7 which support directx 10/11

Microsoft also officially stopped supporting XP a few years ago so don't expect to see any bug fixes for new issues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Who Cares? I like Eduard Khil though.. TROLOLO FOR PRESIDENT!
    Don't do it, get a Mac instead.

Edit: I wasn't trolling, whoever was sensitive enough to report my post needs to rethink their priorities.
    Last edited by Robyn; 2011-01-23 at 07:29 AM.
    Infractions this, infractions that.
    There's my sig.