Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    OP: You are a fool...
    And you sir, have been reported for harassment.

@OP

I'm like wtf ???? Do you live in a cheesebowl ??
    PuGs is too stupid to understand such complicated boss mechanics as "don't stand in the giant ass fire"

The price of flagship SNES games when they were new in the early 90s: $49.99 - $59.99

The price of of flagship N64 games when they were new at launch - $69.99 - $79.99

Games these days generally pack many more features, polish, and replay value for the customer than they did 20 years ago, and the value of the dollar has deflated big time since 1992, I promise you.

OP is a mere child whose allowance won't cover a new game a week, let's move on. A mature person wouldn't have created the thread at all, and would've known those points.

Console games (next gen ala ps3 and 360) have always been 60 dollars. Ever since ps3 came out. Deadspace 2 is totally worth 60$ imo. Im playing it for ps3 and I love it. If you are going to BEAT it (beat it on hardest difficulty, get platinum, etc) that is a ton of content. And it has multi player. Which I am planning on doing.
    Gold selling site spam is an important part of our eco system.

You see, there are currently to many puppies and kittens on this world.
    Every time a Goldseller spams his advertisement on the mmo-champion site, a puppy dies.
    Every time you ignore these threads and don't report them, a kitten dies.

Deleted
    I dont really care about the pricing for either mw2 or sc2...both are well worth their prices since they offered and still do,hours and hours and hours and hours of gameplay.

I love both of em.

might as well bring up rent back in the day of what $20

Quote Originally Posted by Razorcane View Post
    Wow. I have a job. I just think it's stupid that PC games are just as expensive as console games now. Why pay so much for a game with so little to offer? Think before you post, troll.
    Sorry, but you're the troll here.

Fact is, games cost a lot to make. You may not think they do, but really do. Starcraft II had a large team working on it for years, and more effort went into it then a lot of similarly priced games (seriously, those FIFA games they churn out every year for ridiculous prices?).

Couple this that that's a one time price, no subscription involved, for a 90% online based game. With a huge modding community that gives you dozens of new game modes for free.

Edit: And that's all completely ignoring inflation. Money isn't worth as much as it used to be. So games are infact CHEAPER then they were twenty years ago.

Oh, and some console games now require subscription to play online.

Yeah, you tell me again how its overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by PaybackX View Post
    Honestly, given how prices progress from system to system, I'm shocked we aren't paying 80-120 per game here in the US. $60 is nothing. If you don't wish to pay that, don't play games. You also realize that 4 months of this game is $60, plus what you paid to get the base game and 3 Xpacs. You either need to:
    A.) Stop trolling.
    B.) Find a cheaper hobby
    C.) L2P
    D.) Get a better job, or reduce costs ($60 is too expensive? I work minimum wage and can afford games easy)
    E.) Probably all of the above
    I'm still waiting for the rest of the idiots on these forums to actually understand what a troll is. You are actually trolling, because a troll is someone who insults a user with the sole intent of harassment. And for your information I have a good job. I wish people would quit jumping to conclusions saying I don't have a job. Maybe, possibly, I was just complaining about how no game is worth 60 dollars. What makes Black Ops and MW2 worth 60 dollars? The single player is boring and can be beat in 6 hours, and nothing has changed in the multiplayer. So you should probably read the whole thread before you post.

Deleted
    In Denmark all new games cost about 100 dollars which is about 500 danish kroner. so you have absolutly no need to whine

Quote Originally Posted by pieki View Post
    about the same as blaming Porsche for the price of volvo cars.
    this.

and stop being poor, that's your problem. If you can't handle 60 dollar pricetags or worry enough about them to make posts and complain then you shouldn't be spending your free time playing games anyways. If it's too much, don't play and get off our forums while you're at it.

whiny poor people are gross.
    moderators removed my signature picture because they can't get Glad like me.

Haters Gonna Hate

Breaking even is still better than going in the hole. CEO's don't need 3-4 million dollar bonuses, especially when they already make 7-8 million or more a year. They don't even spend that much a year so that money is basically wasted.
    Breaking even is viewed as a very bad thing by shareholders, who have been deluded across the board into believing that profits should, and can, grow on a yearly basis.

Even a company making less profit than they estimated is viewed as a loss. Rather humorous, but quite serious to the folks who honestly believe that wealth is an infinite pie. (it isn't)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xStevooo View Post
    Who on earth would buy digital copies?
    CoD cost me £29.99 at midnight release haven't checked currencies in a while but i'd say thats roughly 35 Euros?
    And i can't ever remember paying more than £10 for any Psx, N64, Snes game otherwise i would have never afforded it. Then again i did have every psx game available
    60 Dollars for a game is pretty pathetic, but i do not buy from crappy retailers that want £49,99 a game i get mine around 25-30 quid new.
    I bought it at our official GAME store and im pretty sure it was priced around 50-60$,at release.

I live in swe,and in the north aswell,and where i live we basicly have 1 game store,and like spread warehouses,if i went to either warehouse i cud prolly had got it for 30$. But i cba since i didnt have a car.

No country has currency worth 1 american dollar, because the american dollar is almost worthless now.
    Sure the U.S. Dollar isn't worth as much as it used to be. But its certainly not even close to worthless...

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Sorry, but you're the troll here.

Fact is, games cost a lot to make. You may not think they do, but really do. Starcraft II had a large team working on it for years, and more effort went into it then a lot of similarly priced games (seriously, those FIFA games they churn out every year for ridiculous prices?).

Couple this that that's a one time price, no subscription involved, for a 90% online based game. With a huge modding community that gives you dozens of new game modes for free.

Oh, and some console games now require subscription to play online.

Yeah, you tell me again how its overpriced.
    A Troll is someone who insults a user with the sole intent of harassment. I don't recall doing that in my post.
    Anyway, they didn't have a lot of people working on Starcraft II. If I'm not mistaken, the DVD claimed they only had 2 or 3 programmers and 5 or 6 artists. Most of the money I think went into the cinematics department.

---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 12:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Souper friend View Post
    Sure the U.S. Dollar isn't worth as much as it used to be. But its certainly not even close to worthless...
    Worthless =/= Almost Worthless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still waiting for the rest of the idiots on these forums to actually understand what a troll is. You are actually trolling, because a troll is someone who insults a user with the sole intent of harassment. And for your information I have a good job. I wish people would quit jumping to conclusions saying I don't have a job. Maybe, possibly, I was just complaining about how no game is worth 60 dollars. What makes Black Ops and MW2 worth 60 dollars? The single player is boring and can be beat in 6 hours, and nothing has changed in the multiplayer. So you should probably read the whole thread before you post.
    It's all an assessment of value.

To me, $60 is nothing. I spend that much money a week on beer.
    To someone else, $60 may be their entire monthly grocery bill. Or, depending on their nation of origin, their entire monthly (or even yearly) income.

Most of us are saying that we don't find $60 to be too expensive. Some people have given examples of other games with similar pricetags, many years ago. Others are indicating why $60 isn't too much for them.

Obviously you disagree. However, you're speaking in absolutes.

$60 is not too much to pay for a game.
    It might be too much for YOU to pay for a game. But to paint it as black and white is just asinine.

Lemmy ask you this? did you actually buy any of these games? If you purchased any of them, and then began your rant about price then you sir are a fool.

One of the reasons I quit console games is because of the price of the games. 60 dollars for a video game is just too ridiculous, and console games ranged from 40-50 dollars. Well then Blizzard comes out with Starcraft II at 59.99, and it seems that their greed has spread to other game companies as well. I really want to play Dead Space 2 but there is no way possible that it's worth 60 dollars, no game is. I just want to thank Blizzard for single-handedly permantly raising the prices on PC games with their stupid Starcraft II game. Thanks Blizz, your greed makes the god damn world go round.

/rant
    Would you rather pay $30 for the game, but pay a $10/mo fee to continue playing online? The cost of the game also covers the online element, patching, support, etc. It's a one-time cost. At least you don't have a WoW addiction where you pay $50 for the game, then shell out $15/mo to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    You can either wait until the price goes down or choose not to buy it. Both of those decisions are much more effective than whining on an internet forum.
    Amen to that... Blizzard is not the first, and will certainly not be the last company who has charged $50+ for a PC game. I remember buying the original Sims for close to that, not to mention the $30 it cost for every single one of their 5+ expansions.

The guy with Super Mario 3 is right. I bought Ms. Pac-Man when I was like 12 for 50 bucks on the Genesis. Before then (Before NES, even), games were actually even more expensive. I remember seeing a photo of an old cartridge game (Think it was for the Odyssey system or something) that had a price tag of roughly 250 dollars attached to it. Games have ALWAYS had a range of roughly 40-60 for a new game, we just had a period where 50 dollars was considered standard release price.. it's starting to shift up to 60, now. For me, 60 IS too expensive (Despite the obvious inflation and increase of cost of living, Social Security continues to plug their ears and go "Lalalalalala" when it comes to giving me the raise for cost of living increasing), but it's a perfectly justifiable price.

Of all the hobbies around, I have to say video games have been probably THE single most inflation proof hobby that has existed. Let me give you some comparisons.

I started playing Games Workshop Miniature games in the 1980's. At that time you could buy a box of 3 vehicles for $30. A pack of 5 metal miniatures for $5.99 and the larger 20-25 pack boxes of "squads" of figures were $24.99. Flash forward to current prices. Vehicles run about $60 each, 1 single metal miniture is about $14 and now "squads" of 5 metal or sometimes plastic figures are about $30.00. They regularly do a 10% increase yearly on their prices.

I got my atari 2600 back in the 70's when it first came out. I sitll have the original box for the console. $299.00 was the price my parents paid for this gaming powerhouse. When Pacman was introduced my mother reserved a copy, thinking it would be impossible to pick up. $75 is what she paid for the game. Again, i still have the boxes with the prices on them lol. Most of the average games at full retail for the Atari were $29.99 to $39.99 each. Fast forward to the Sega Genesis. Console price was $199.00. Games averaged $49.99. Move to the present. You can get an Xbox 360 new for $199 (seeing a pattern here ?) and games run $39.99 to $59.99 new. I'd say over the 40 years lifespan of video gaming, prices have been pretty stagnant in the market and have stayed relatively cheap in relation to any other item thats out there.

One of the main reasons for this is that they game companies didnt "have" to raise prices to generate enormous sales. Gaming moved into new markets and became far more acceptable so they grew their player base by leaps and bounds. We're lucky in that we have a hobby in which prices generally stay the same or sometimes even decrease as technology increases.

That being said, I dont like paying $60 for a game, and typically I won't. A lot of locations put the games on the sale the first week of release or within a few weeks of release, so that $60 game can actually be had for $39.99 in many many cases. Just wait a bit, shop around and eventually the stores will lower the price.