Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I'd rather be deaf, imagine not being able to see anyone or anything. That would be so horrible! Also, you'd still be able to communicate via sign language.

10+ Year Old Account
    deaf. Deaf will be curable in a matter of years. Blind? That could take decades.

hmm imma go with deaf. if i was bling i couldnt play wow.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

I'd rather be stricken with blindness then deafness.

Blind, 1,000 times over BLIND. I would kill myself if I could not listen to music. Really. I could live with not seeing faces, but no music? Hell no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    However, from a child development standpoint I think language skills are linked closely to other areas of cognitive and social development.
    That's true, however Deaf people have a language. Many are bilingual, knowing both sign and the language native to the hearing people in their region.

Quote Originally Posted by Szenty View Post
    When you go deaf you not only lose you sense of hearing but you also lose the ability to communicate. Sign language is an impractical and and almost useless form of speech. inb4 writing down everything you do
    That shows how very little you know about sign languages.

Yes, like every other language in existence you can't use it to communicate with people who don't know the language. This is not something unique to sign. That's what interpreters are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
    I know around here you need to be able to hear the sirens to have a driver's license.
    Where is "around here"? I don't know of any place where deaf people are not allowed to drive.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Blind, I couldn't give up my music I would go insane, also going blind, EVERYONE knows that you develop powers like Daredevil
    Tanks are made of steel, blood and a shield, not magic and twigs.
    My Warrior My Shaman

Definitely deaf.

Deaf without a moment of hesitation.

going to go with deaf, I'll just learn hand signals. blind would be really difficult, having to read in braille, more trouble in just about every category of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I would rather be deaf than blind.
    While losing your hearing (I'm going with the assumption that you just completely lose your sense of hearing or sight) would be scary and make a huge impact on your life, not being able to hear would make a smaller impact than going blind.
    I mean, you can still do thing almost like you normally would, but being blind means you'd need help doing anything

I would choose deaf over blindness, even tough it would make me sad to never listen to music ever again, i still want to watch, movies, be able to do daily things on my own, look at woman etc..

I woke up blind one morning, had an internal hemorrhage on the back of my eyes which filled them up with blood. After a long recovery they are somewhat decent now, but waking up and realize you couldn't barely see shapes and then just a darkred black-ish nothing was some freaky shit. I have had several surgeries done and they made my eye better and better but couple of weeks after every one you are just like swimming around in a blurry dark haze which very slowly starts to lift and you can make out your familiar surroundings again.

Don't get me wrong, I simply LOVE music and I'd miss it every day if I went deaf, but I would never want to go back to that state of helplessness I felt when I after walking around a healthy man for all my life suddenly lost my sight.
    Quickly notify an administrator to delete this post because the truth upsets you!

Deaf, I think. Although, I really can't tell since I can't imagine how it would be.

Also, am I the only one who thought of Illidan when read the title of the thread?

I would rather be deaf. I'm sort of used to it, with being almost deaf on my right ear. Sometimes my left ear clogs up, rendering me almost without hearing. While that is bothersome, with being fully/almost deaf, I believe people would still sort of understand that rather than "Yes, my left ear is full of earwax, so I can't hear shit of what you're saying".

As far as playing WoW goes, I honestly don't find being on Vent to be an absolute necessity either. I mean, it doesn't take so many seconds to type "Go to left left pillar" (for the Neffy fight) or explain some alternate way of killing a boss.

I can't imagine living in a world where I can't see.

Have to add:
    I remember coming across a thread linked here to the official forums (can't recall if it was EU or US but whatever). A guy who used to raid became deaf and was kicked out from his guild. He applied to many guilds but was rejected by them all. He was wondering if anyone had come across the same problem or had some advice. The only reply was from Blizzard, locking his thread, and that's how I noticed it. That made me really sad.
    Unless you are tank, I really believe Vent wouldn't be that much needed.
    The rejection by all the guilds basically told me that we are still having prejudice against people whether they be deaf or having another skin colour. It is saddening to say the least.
    Last edited by Faenskap; 2011-07-28 at 11:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deaf.

If I'm deaf, I can still take classes. There are programs for converting speech to text, so I can still attend lectures and learn the material. The career I'm studying for doesn't require verbal communication as much as the math and science to show that the design is safe. I can communicate by email where required.

Being blind.... I literally have no idea what I could even do with my life. It's not even a question of "would" but rather "could".

Finally, depending on exactly what's wrong that I'm deaf, I'd put my money in science finding a way to correct it before being able to correct blindness.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would rather be blind cause even if your blind ive heard of some people being able to use the same thing as bats and being able to see by bouncing sound waves off objects but that's just what ive heard.

Deleted
    Hard to choose...
    i'm a musician, but i also love to paint...

but i think i would choose to be blind... cause without music i would go crazy...

Hopefully noone has to choose from these ever..

10+ Year Old Account
    You're in a whole new level of danger if you can't see, blind-trained dogs don't always fix everything. Imagine trying to cross a road, or drive, or do shopping, or really go anywhere that you're not 100% familiar with (i.e. outside your house) if you're blind. A deaf person would be able to cope with those tasks far better. Atleast deaf people can see other's expressions/reactions and can learn to lip-read.

Also, deafness can be aided with technology far easier than blindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastblow View Post
    i would rather be blind cause even if your blind ive heard of some people being able to use the same thing as bats and being able to see by bouncing sound waves off objects but that's just what ive heard.

Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-07-29 at 07:06 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deaf, it isn't even a question imo. I enjoy reading and I'm a fairly good reader, so having to read subtitles wouldn't bother me at all. I normally have them on anyways, just in case something is said that's hard to pick up on. I would miss listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RFwiFKLR7o though. She had one of the most amazing, beautiful voices I've ever heard...

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Snip

Actually, he's right. There is a guy who clicks his tongue and does echolocation. Was on one episode of Stan Lees Superhumans.
    Last edited by ghostkitteh; 2011-07-29 at 08:17 AM.