Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Volcano card still worth it..?

So my shaman has been resto all through T11 and up until last week in Firelands. I made the switch to elemental and have had some decent success using Alchemist Stone/Quintessence. I have all drops available I'm just super impatient. I seem to have myself believing necro/lightning would be better than necro/volcano? Maybe even necro/quintessence? I don't run any older content anymore due to time so going back for a mirror is not an option.

DMC:V is currently the best trinket available for Elemental. It's better than even the heroic versions of all spell trinkets. Get it.

378 BiS: DMC:V & NF
    391 BiS: DMC:V & H NF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    DMC:V is currently the best trinket available for Elemental. It's better than even the heroic versions of all spell trinkets. Get it.

378 BiS: DMC:V & NF
    391 BiS: DMC:V & H NF
    I was under the impression that at heroic level, the BiS was NF and VPLC? Has something happened recently to knock VPLC down or just theorycrafting fine tuned the list over time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rewn View Post
    I was under the impression that at heroic level, the BiS was NF and VPLC? Has something happened recently to knock VPLC down or just theorycrafting fine tuned the list over time?
    Nothing has changed DMC:V has been BiS since the start of the tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    The proc is utter crap. Blizz really made melee, agility, and healer trinkets ass kickin this tier, but bit the fat one on caster trinkets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    The proc is utter crap. Blizz really made melee, agility, and healer trinkets ass kickin this tier, but bit the fat one on caster trinkets.

Healer trinkets are by no means "ass kicking". At least not compared to how good SoW and doll were(and at least for SoW still are).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Nothing has changed DMC:V has been BiS since the start of the tier.
    Its quite possible. It may just be me confusing things i've read (and I do that alot as I try to keep up to date info about all 10 classes) but I do remember Radux himself at least simming VPLC back from the PTR and suggesting it might be BiS. I know from recent banter that the trinket really isn't all that good so it doesnt come as a surprise really.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    See my response above. I knew the proc was bad from recent discussions on it. Saying that though, I wouldn't exactly say healers have a nice selection of trinkets either Plus as Elemental, if you really dont wanna fork out the money for DMC:V, the rep spirit one is a decent tool to have.

From what I've heard, VPLC isn't affected by any of our talents (much like how they stopped making DMC: Hurricane play nice with Enhance Shammy Mastery). The sims I've seen show VPLC is between 1.5-2.5K extra DPS (note: I might be misremembering this, I'll double check) by proc alone. With that said, these sims have been with normal VPLC, not H VPLC. Just regurgitating things I've found when deciding on VPLC vs DMC:V myself.

Its quite possible. It may just be me confusing things i've read (and I do that alot as I try to keep up to date info about all 10 classes) but I do remember Radux himself at least simming VPLC back from the PTR and suggesting it might be BiS. I know from recent banter that the trinket really isn't all that good so it doesnt come as a surprise really.
    When I was talking about VPLC being BiS, it was prior to the 4.2 sims, I believe. I was also using mechanics based on the old LC and using really rough timelines. It was napkin math, really. Once 420.1 came out, I was speculative on the results, but yeah... proc/dmg sucks for it. It's a glorified passive Int booster and that's about it.

Last time I ran tests (on 420.5), VPLC proc was only doing a couple hundred dps... about the same (maybe a little more) dmg as the Volcano proc.

10+ Year Old Account

See my response above. I knew the proc was bad from recent discussions on it. Saying that though, I wouldn't exactly say healers have a nice selection of trinkets either Plus as Elemental, if you really dont wanna fork out the money for DMC:V, the rep spirit one is a decent tool to have.
    Sure. But DMV is something that's proven to be a good investment. And they're pretty reasonably priced now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before we got a chance to test it, theorycrafting revolved around assuming it worked more similarly to prior lightning capacitor trinkets. The proc is significantly different this time around, which honestly isn't surprising since the game is significantly different. The version we ended up getting has a lower proc rate and the lightning bolts it fires don't count as Lightning Bolts with regards to our talents (which admittedly would be almost unfair compared to other casters, but people were theorizing it might).

Have had Volcano for ages, and not planning on getting rid of it any time soon

Melee got Death Bringers Will and Shadowmourne where is our op ass trinket to go with the legendary?!
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Melee got Death Bringers Will and Shadowmourne where is our op ass trinket to go with the legendary?!
    Darkmoon Card: Volcano.

Seriously, that thing's crazy good.

The biggest reason why it's still worth it is that it boosts your fire elementals dps if you set the totem down when u have the procc up.
    If you do that the fire elemental gets the 1600 int for the whole duration of the fire elemental.

i still don't understand why this trinket hasn't been nerfed. i'm pretty sure blizzard said that dmc: hurricane was nerfed for this exact issue. noone would want to replace it with the new tier trinkets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnite View Post
    i still don't understand why this trinket hasn't been nerfed. i'm pretty sure blizzard said that dmc: hurricane was nerfed for this exact issue. noone would want to replace it with the new tier trinkets.
    Probably the same reason they didnt nerf DMC:Greatness in Wotlk. Besides, its not only DMC beating out trinkets like VPLC. VPLC is just a generally bad trinket from what I can see here so if anything they should buff that, rather than nerf DMC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnite View Post
    DMC:Hurricane was changed because the specific mechanic it used would make it scale with Enhancement's damage, meaning it could theoretically last longer than even the DMC:V.

The Darkmoon cards have traditionally been much stronger than their item level suggests. DMC:Volcano and DMC:Tsunami are just the two this go-round that happened to be amazing. DMC:Greatness was the big winner last expansion.

Deleted
    Will most likely be replaced in the next tier but atm, its BiS.

DMC:V is very OP for its item level. Currently I see our Elemental use it on some fights and sometimes not. When he doesn't I always tell him his Dps goes down and he doesn't know why. Last night I told him it was because he randomly changes his DMC:V card out and did not even notice he was doing it. So it is very significant especially since it boosts the fire elemental.