Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    It seems like Nintendo really is the only company not willing to pull shady shit on their costumers.
    Instead they just release generic rehashes of their games that make CoD look innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Instead they just release generic rehashes of their games that make CoD look innovative.
    Keep telling yourself that.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Not really. It sounds like you don't really play Nintendo if you think that's the case.

Deleted
    would people be that pissed off if a game was free to play and if you werent playing and your character went idle / afk a pop up ad started playing and all you had to do is click X when you return.. This could be done without any harm to your gaming experience but if done badly it could just ruin games and any developer or company which does that really does deserve to crash and burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Keep telling yourself that.
    how about the fact that their next gen console isn't even going to be able to match up to this generation and sony outsold them in handhelds.
    or how about that they've been sinking into red for the past 2 years.

unless nintendo can pull their heads out of their ass they're going to end up as the next sega.

15+ Year Old Account
    The year they release that into their games will be the year Sony goes bankrupt. I'll bet even their own employees won't play their games anymore.
    Statix will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    how about the fact that their next gen console isn't even going to be able to match up to this generation and sony outsold them in handhelds.

unless nintendo can pull their heads out of their ass they're going to end up as the next sega.
    If you're talking about Vita vs. 3DS, the 3DS has sold more worldwide. Heck, I think the DS has sold more than the PSP (correct me if I'm wrong).

And hardware limitations don't have a ton to do with innovation. Some of the most interesting and innovative games have been indie titles that can run on a tin can.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    I think there was something about steve jobs doing the same thing with the I phone, or something very close?
    It was with their desktop OS; he had an idea not to charge anything for it but instead have it be ad-supported with an option to pay a small fee for the ads to be removed. To the best of my knowledge it never even made it past the initial planning phases.

Deleted
    Oh the publisher shoving a giant dildo up the paying customers ass ? Again ?
    Nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    A lot of people don't know how Patents can and are used. Let me elaborate:

A patent is an idea that is protected so that no one can copy your idea and implementation exactly. Just because a patent has been filed does not mean it will be put into practice. Sony came up with this idea and now have it protected under IP law. If any games company wants to put this kind of thing into their games, they will need to pay Sony to do it, so that is a plus for Sony. The plus for the game company is that they don't need to pay people to come up with the idea, and how to implement it will be documented on the patent itself, so all they have to do is apply it. Obviously the game company will then get revenue from the ads themselves.

There are hundreds of patents out there that have, and may never get implemented. Companies stockpile them because they aer incredibly lucrative. You can sell them, trade them, and use them as leverage in IP cases. eg, if company A infringes on company B's patents and company B then sues, it may be the case that company B is infringing on company A's patents as well.

This idea of ads popping up isn't centered primarily on the advertisement area, but more on how a 3rd party full screen message is displayed on a screen and how it is handled. I think it is a very good idea, and we will not see this implemented in any games to convey advertisements, as adding such a thing to a game would spell its death before release.
    Great post, this should be amended to the OP to hopefully stop some of the moaning.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    And hardware limitations don't have a ton to do with innovation. Some of the most interesting and innovative games have been indie titles that can run on a tin can.
    doesn't change the fact that they spent 4-5 years making a piece of tech already outdated by a decade, and you're really looking to nintendo for innovation? the company who invented "re-release it next year with a palette swap and a different color version".

nintendo hasn't innovated since the N64, thats when their 2D platformer/adventure games became 3D platformer/adventure games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Another reason not to buy anything from Sony these days.
    Lol, Yet fools still buy i-devices that are full of screen hogging popup ads in almost every app you download.

doesn't change the fact that they spent 4-5 years making a piece of tech already outdated by a decade, and you're really looking to nintendo for innovation? the company who invented "re-release it next year with a palette swap and a different color version".

nintendo hasn't innovated since the N64, thats when their 2D platformer/adventure games became 3D platformer/adventure games.
    The dual screens on the 3DS isn't innovation? Nintendo didn't pioneer the hell out of motion controls with the Wii? The 3DS isn't relatively innovative as the first glasses free 3D mobile console? The touchscreen controller on the Wii U isn't innovative?

Hardware limitations don't mean a whole lot beyond the quality of the pixels/lighting and what kind of effects you can show (physics to a lesser degree as well). I can't speak to their software since I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the 64 (would like to pick up a Gamecube and Wii though since there are some really interesting looking games on them) so I won't try to, I'll let others who have more experience speak to that.

As a company, Nintendo has taken more risks as far as innovation goes than either Microsoft or Sony in the past 5-10 years, and the industry is better because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are blowing this out of proportion. First, ads in games are nothing new, see smartphone apps. Second, lets say they do go ahead and implement the feature it would be up to developers to use and probably on used to your more casual, download only games (probably to cut down on retail price in place of the ads). The PSN library has a HUGE collection of digital games, a lot of which are not bought because console games aren't digging through the store for them. Why not slaps ads in them and tag them a "free" so you can start making some money off of them? Imagine an ad support Journey that you could play for free or even a bigger title like LBP2.

For free games from the Play Station store (not psplus) i don't see a problem with this but for games you buy and you just want to spend 10 hrs playing it'll become really annoying and probably lose them customers.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    The dual screens on the 3DS isn't innovation? Nintendo didn't pioneer the hell out of motion controls with the Wii? The 3DS isn't relatively innovative as the first glasses free 3D mobile console? The touchscreen controller on the Wii U isn't innovative?

Hardware limitations don't mean a whole lot beyond the quality of the pixels/lighting and what kind of effects you can show (physics to a lesser degree as well). I can't speak to their software since I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the 64 (would like to pick up a Gamecube and Wii though since there are some really interesting looking games on them) so I won't try to, I'll let others who have more experience speak to that.

As a company, Nintendo has taken more risks as far as innovation goes than either Microsoft or Sony in the past 5-10 years, and the industry is better because of it.
    the 3DS was big yes, innovative? marginally, most of the games had either the standard GB controls or some gimmick that used the touch screen.
    the wii wasn't even arguably innovative, it did what several hundred arcade games have done but instead mass-marketed it. this is proved by how poorly the games actually sold and generally were.
    inovative? yes. smart? god no! its literally painful to play that accursed thing.
    a touch screen controller, not at all. its taking what they did with the 3DS and doing it with the console.

generally I'd agree with you, the problem is that when the Wii U is launched it with already be almost 20 years outdated.

microsoft even entering the console race was a massive risk, starting up their own dev farm? even riskier.

and the game industry is worse off thanks to Nintendo's method of repackage and re-release year after year, where the fuck do you think EA and Activision took it from?
    Last edited by mordale; 2012-05-26 at 10:44 PM.

Nintendo has been very successful and are still rising. They've always been more successful than Microsoft and Sony. The Wii U is something like, at least 200% more powerful than the 360 and PS3, and Sony is absolute shit when it comes to handhelds.

10+ Year Old Account
    they didnt say they were gona do that so dont ur guys panties in a bunch
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

How can they possibly patent something EA have been doing for years...

the 3DS was big yes, innovative? marginally, most of the games had either the standard GB controls or some gimmick that used the touch screen.
    the wii wasn't even arguably innovative, it did what several hundred arcade games have done but instead mass-marketed it. this is proved by how poorly the games actually sold and generally were.
    inovative? yes. smart? god no! its literally painful to play that accursed thing.
    a touch screen controller, not at all. its taking what they did with the 3DS and doing it with the console.

generally I'd agree with you, the problem is that when the Wii U is launched it with already be almost 20 years outdated.

microsoft even entering the console race was a massive risk, starting up their own dev farm? even riskier.

and the game industry is worse off thanks to Nintendo's method of repackage and re-release year after year, where the fuck do you think EA and Activision took it from?
    Skelington doesn't think you know what innovation is.
    The Wii has done bad and its games have sold poorly? Have you even looked at numbers?
    Smart and painful is your opinion. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it non-innovative. Skelington could say things like that about Sony and Xbox because he doesn't like them as well.

20 years is quite a stretch. Hardware limitations don't mean much. Xbox and Playstation games aren't magically better than Nintendo games because the consoles are more powerful than the Wii.

How is the gaming industry worse off from Nintendo? Repackage and re-release? Your ignorance and obvious blind hatred of Nintendo is overwhelming.