Page 64 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    It's probably the case that even within the US, people disagree on this issue. However, I just got the feeling from looking through the first couple pages that much anger could have been averted if the dissonance was made clear. :P
    The problem is these discussions are very personal. Delivery drivers don't keep their emotions under control and call non tippers scum, which is wrong. And people saying I work a job that relies on tips makes me a boy and not a man in return. Both sides need to lighten up.

i'm going to say this very clearly and politely...this is a /thread comment...

Tip if you want, don't tip if don't want. Either way we still make good money. Some times it's frustrating to not get a tip, but our life will go on. If you don't tip no one will spit in your pie. We are not entitled to tips, but they are very much hoped for. The system does not need changing, as even with people not tipping we make a good wage.

^ read that people. again it should be pretty much /thread.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emek View Post
    Not gonna read through 64 pages, but i hope by 64 pages people realize that in some countries 60% of your earnings comes from tips, if you don't get any tips you're pretty much getting paid 3 dollars an hour. If he spent 2 hours out of his 8 hour shift on that one job he is making shit for day.

Would i rather you just get paid x amount of money and not rely on tips? sure but that's not what happens
    and what about the other 6hrs of his shift? if he earns enough tips to get himself over min wage during that time he has no reason to complain

Deleted
    I hate people who EXPECT A FREAKING TIP. A TIP IS A TIP, NOT A FEE. Should I also get tips every time I deliver flowers, and if they dont tip, then I should just be careless about the flowers?. If you treat customers bad because they don't tip, then you are a SCUMBAG!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I've got to say, I don't buy it. Pretty much every non-American that participates in these threads has had the situation explained to them dozens of times. Americans have encountered it firsthand. Anyone that's still operating under the assumption that not tipping is perfectly fine in the United States is willfully obtuse.
    Yes, probably. It's a shame, but that's just how it is. Best weapon against it is to just keep repeating it in a good tone and hope it eventually bites.

Some of the people on this thread don't seem to understand the point of tipping. I can see saying that you shouldn't care about it if it's only a few pizzas but delivering 150 pizzas to one place and not getting a tip is just low. I used to work at a pizza shop for awhile as delivery and can say that even with being paid for my mileage, base pay and tips, it wasn't enough. Don't get how people think an employer is gonna pay you enough to deliver to cover all the expense you'll eventually have when your car breaks down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarus View Post
    Some of the people on this thread don't seem to understand the point of tipping. I can see saying that you shouldn't care about it if it's only a few pizzas but delivering 150 pizzas to one place and not getting a tip is just low. I used to work at a pizza shop for awhile as delivery and can say that even with being paid for my mileage, base pay and tips, it wasn't enough. Don't get how people think an employer is gonna pay you enough to deliver to cover all the expense you'll eventually have when your car breaks down.
    Really though if you expected a tip from a school you haven't been delivering long.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Living in Canada, which is basically the same as the US for tipping... I understand that jobs where tips are frequent (food delivery, waitressing, Bar tending etc)... their pay is less than minimum wage because of the frequency of the tips, which then supplement said Income. Therefore I tip when receiving my service from these people.

Why do I do this?

Because I realize that if it weren't this way, those people would be paid more. If those people were paid more, than everything I order from said place would cost more. If everything cost more, chances are I would be paying more than I am with what I paid plus the tip. And for the most part, I do it because I was once in their position. I understand what they are going through with that job, and frankly I can afford a couple extra bucks for the service I received. Are there times when I don't tip? yes. If I am unsatisfied with my service I will not tip.

Also to comment on some of the things people said "why should I tip the waitress and not the cook..." yeah... the Waitress had to put up with you, not the cook. The waitress' job is actually usually harder/more fast paced than the cook, while she receives 50% less pay. AND in a lot of places in Canada (here I cant speak on behalf of the US)... Tips are split between all members of staff on for that scheduled time... including said cook.
    Fanboy (Fanboi): A Term used when someone disagrees with you on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate your counterpoint back so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming you into silence and thus them winning through dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    Option 4 (and personally my favorite):Order food from your house, have someone else bring it to you, pay for food and service. List price + 10-15% if I think they deserve it.
    That reasonable. However if you think they did not deserve it you should let the manager know what the employee did. If not then you'll be at the end of the list next time.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    People should compete to make you work for you payment? How about they compete for bringing your stupid lazy ass to your boss and then to court instead?
    Lol that's funny.

Newsflash: because it's their job that they signed for.
    They signed up with the expectation of getting tips because of the low pay. If the server, or driver, met your expectation in service why should you not meet the expectation of payment?

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    Tips are part of your wage as a delivery driver. Waiters and Waitresses make under 4 dollars an hour because of tips. No, it's not illegal. Yes, it counts as above minimum wage because you're "required" to report your tips. Tips are part of the culture in the United States for certain occupations. Don't say anything if you don't know what you're talking about.
    It's bullshit simple because you should not be required to report your tips as they are not wages, they are customer offered gratuity and the people who decided to tax tips were complete slime buckets.

Simply put find another line of work because I refuse to support such a sleazy tactic that is more or less used as a legal loophole for employers to pay their employee's less than they are worth.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alot of people seem to be seeing the tip as paying the wage of the worker when its not the case, (in the US). The tip is paying for the extra service you get from the waiter or waitress, such as running around to get every little extra thing or request someone has, or keeping their drink full. These are extras, if you dont want these things or want to tip, then go to a drivethru window and get your food and go.

The waiter gets a tip then based off of how well they took care of you and your needs, if you thought the service was fine, but didnt really make use of your server 10-15% is just fine, if you thought your service was amazing or you were a massive pain in the ass then 15-20%. Either way tipping is a way for people who have perfected the skill of taking care of others to be rewarded for it, good waiters will make good tips, new or bad waiters wont, and then will want to work to improve. Servers are not required to wait on you hand and foot, they simply have to get you your food and your drink but when they do take care of every request you have, shouldnt they be rewarded?
    and boom goes the dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by Dalent1989 View Post
    After two hours of hauling pizza from the shop to the customer I am rather annoyed at what this person chose to put in as the tip.
    Side note: It was a really good workout.
    Cheep bastards...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    Yes, probably. It's a shame, but that's just how it is. Best weapon against it is to just keep repeating it in a good tone and hope it eventually bites.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_%28...#United_States

Not really hard to link...

But the OP also didn't make it clear he's from US. I don't see any symbol on the ticket (which is already shady if you ask me).

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    It's bullshit simple because you should not be required to report your tips as they are not wages, they are customer offered gratuity and the people who decided to tax tips were complete slime buckets.

Simply put find another line of work because I refuse to support such a sleazy tactic that is more or less used as a legal loophole for employers to pay their employee's less than they are worth.
    In the USA, tips should be reported to IRS, as can be read in the linked Wikipedia article.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahknaten View Post
    Alot of people seem to be seeing the tip as paying the wage of the worker when its not the case, (in the US). The tip is paying for the extra service you get from the waiter or waitress, such as running around to get every little extra thing or request someone has, or keeping their drink full. These are extras, if you dont want these things or want to tip, then go to a drivethru window and get your food and go.

The waiter gets a tip then based off of how well they took care of you and your needs, if you thought the service was fine, but didnt really make use of your server 10-15% is just fine, if you thought your service was amazing or you were a massive pain in the ass then 15-20%. Either way tipping is a way for people who have perfected the skill of taking care of others to be rewarded for it, good waiters will make good tips, new or bad waiters wont, and then will want to work to improve. Servers are not required to wait on you hand and foot, they simply have to get you your food and your drink but when they do take care of every request you have, shouldnt they be rewarded?
    Most people from outside US just think that the reward should be included in their regular wage I would say. For example here in Finland if I gave tip to a waiter/waitress in some fine restaurant they would probably think that I'm looking down on them...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahknaten View Post

that's fine in a restaurant. but when did the pizza delivery guy ever do any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarus View Post
    Some of the people on this thread don't seem to understand the point of tipping. I can see saying that you shouldn't care about it if it's only a few pizzas but delivering 150 pizzas to one place and not getting a tip is just low.
    Would you prefer delivering them to different places? Your business saved lots of transportation money and your time, yes, your, delivery boy, by receiving 150 profits added to price, but spending only 1 delivering cost to 1 place. And you fucking want to get even more on top of that?

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 09:35 PM ----------

They signed up with the expectation of getting tips because of the low pay. If the server, or driver, met your expectation in service why should you not meet the expectation of payment?
    If they sign up with expectation of personal golden palace and 108 virgins every night, should some random people provide for them too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SadisticChipmunk View Post
    Because I realize that if it weren't this way, those people would be paid more. If those people were paid more, than everything I order from said place would cost more. If everything cost more, chances are I would be paying more than I am with what I paid plus the tip. And for the most part, I do it because I was once in their position. I understand what they are going through with that job, and frankly I can afford a couple extra bucks for the service I received. Are there times when I don't tip? yes. If I am unsatisfied with my service I will not tip.
    I'm not buying it'd then be more expensive in general. I don't see why? The price would stay the same. But one thing is for sure: it'd be a damn lot harder to pay tax on it.

You saw that Wikipedia link? IRS estimates 40% of the waitresses don't pay their tax. That's a s significant amount, and its likely these tax offenders have replied here, too. Guess who pays for that amount, given the national debt. All of you Americans. Its like that every time with tax evasion.

Also to comment on some of the things people said "why should I tip the waitress and not the cook..." yeah... the Waitress had to put up with you, not the cook. The waitress' job is actually usually harder/more fast paced than the cook, while she receives 50% less pay. AND in a lot of places in Canada (here I cant speak on behalf of the US)... Tips are split between all members of staff on for that scheduled time... including said cook.
    What a load of crap. You clearly never worked as cook. It can be just as stressful. In my country all tips are put in a tip jar, and they're used at the end of month to do something fun all agree on (if you go say karting and buy in volume you get discount and its good group mentality to have fun with your co employees), or more commonly all personal are paid out equally.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 06:40 PM ----------

Would you prefer delivering them to different places? Your business saved lots of transportation money and your time, yes, your, delivery boy, by receiving 150 profits added to price, but spending only 1 delivering cost to 1 place. And you fucking want to get even more on top of that?
    Exactly. Actually now that I think of it, it only makes sense they didn't tip. Think about it for a second. What happens when you buy 100 of the same thing in any other type of business? Volume discount!

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pizza Delivery is a gray area, to me as a waiter, for a massive order like that he should get compensated some how, either by gratuity or a larger delivery charge. As for the average pizza guy, I have a hard time not giving other food service people the same tip I would want at my job, but Pizza joints already tack on a massive delivery fee, so I can see how it gets muddled. I tip delivery people based on their speed and how good my last order was, but thats my system. What applies for waiters may not apply for delivery as far as why they should be tipped.
    and boom goes the dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    No, it is not.
    I'm sorry. That should have been "Tipping is required for consistent proper service". If you're known not to tip while others do then your not a priority.

No, if you do not bring your food at the correct temperature and not at the proper time your boss loses a customer.
    You're server doesn't care. If fact your server would rather you not come back than waste their time.

The customer won't order again, or maybe he does but will file a complaint and then your boss will figure out its you who's slacking on driving. Your boss doesn't give a damn you did that cause that particular customer doesn't tip.
    While I was a driver all I had to say was "They don't tip. I have a responsibility to the people who tip to make sure their food is hot." That would be the end of it. When I was a manager all the driver had to say was "They don't tip."

You see the manager doesn't want to get bitched at to raise someone's pay because the customers are not meeting their expectation. Managers would rather their employees be happy and productive. If that means less orders but the tippers are kept happy then all the better.

Wanna know why? Because you work for your boss, and not for the customer. The customer paid your boss, and you listen to your boss or there's a nice door you can walk through with a sign above it saying <FIRED>.
    Depends on the boss and situation. When I was a manager I was not going to lose my best driver because someone that never tips had a bad time.

The tip is voluntary, on top of the regular price, and entirely at the buyer's discretion. You're not entitled to it. What makes you think you are?
    What makes you think you're entitled to have your needs meet before someone that tips?

What do you know about the buyer at all? For all you know they can only afford one pizza a year. You're not the one to judge.
    This is an option and no one expects you to tip for it.

Now, as I said, there's a few exceptions where tipping is morally enforced, and there's also a few countries/states where tipping is added to price. You can ignore morally force (at the core it is a fallacy of authority and popularity). But in general it is entirely voluntary to tip. I know you don't like that, I know you don't want to hear that, I know you'll probably continue to spout nonsense about how we should all give poor "Bob" a lot of free money because he feels entitled to it but reality check 101 tells us that's not the way the world works and once again you got a problem with that? Tough shit! Go start your own business. When you treat your customers like that you'll be out of business in no time.
    Its not free money. The owners pay their servers less because the tip is expected. You see a lower list price on food because of that. Your server's pay is not included in that list price. You're freeloading off of other people that tip and you expect free service.
    Last edited by Extrazero8; 2013-01-21 at 06:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thehealbus View Post
    They don't owe you anything, customers shouldn't be paying for your wage, your employer should.
    This person also does not tip.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalent1989 View Post
    Dont buy a product if you cant afford the service that goes with it.
    Tipping is optional, whoever is delivering should get a paycheck to begin with. If they don't, why are they even doing said job to begin with? I agree with Firebert that it is school budget, and they can't afford tips ;P