Page 1 of 2
LastLast

RBG Setup and tactics

Hello, guys!

I have been playing rbgs for quite some time now, and it's going... What to say.. Alright. It's not bad. We're currently lying on 1600/1700 rating.
    The problem is that we never really win like we were supposed to. It's much like 1 win then 1 loose.

I have been thinking much of the setup.
    I'm not going to post our setup since it's not always the same.

But if some high rated players out there would spend a few minutes writing setups down.
    Also why we should pick that setup. Whos gonna target call and those things.

Now tactics.
    I think our tactics is just fine. But the lack of ccs and respond is just bad in my opinion. My team mates are not bad, but it seems that we all get confused whem some does cc on a healer and stuff.

Is there any special way to deal with this problem.

The respond on target calling isn't really that bad, just something that needs to be worked on.

BTW note that I'm a hunter and I'm currently doing target calling, which in my opinion is bad.

Thank you!

hihi. quick one as im about to go to bed.
    have a melee be a caller as it can come down to what melee can hit.

one quick tactic for flag cap bgs is have a stealth team, ninja capping flags. it can scramble the enemy team

One quick thing that could help tremendously is making sure your team understands the value of NOT bothering with their healers outside of CCs. Much like a 3s game, going for the healers first is often a mistake.

Also, I second having a melee be your target caller. But he/she needs to also be prepared to call out CC targets as well. Getting everyone on the same page for CCs while do wonders for your team.

Always, ALWAYS have a rogue on your team. The sap cap is often underestimated. Not to mention finding the EFC and slowing his movement the whole match.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delznope View Post
    Always, ALWAYS have a rogue on your team. The sap cap is often underestimated. Not to mention finding the EFC and slowing his movement the whole match.
    You cant stay on a druid? Or i cant--

It is helpful, thank you!

I've always got this little idea, that lets say they have 3 healers.
    I would say even before the match start, alright Hunter and Mage 1 the Healer 1 is your cc focus.
    Then Mage 2 and Warlock the Healer 2 is your cc focus.
    Last Druid 1 and Priest or something, the healer 3 is your cc focus.

How is this idea?
    Personally I think it will bring less chaos while fighting 9on9

one mage 2 warlocks 1 shadow one DK target caller
    One tank/FC
    1 Holy pally
    1 Resto shammy
    1 Restodruid/disc priest.

Spell cleave wins

Deleted
    Frost mages can fit that role and so can hunters.

10+ Year Old Account
    As mentioned earlier, DK's are great target callers.

Pet classes can be left to solo-D nodes because they are hard to sap cap against. Also, to avoid the sap cap, just stand really far away from the flag,(~40 yards) because a rogue will have to sap you, run to the flag, and cap. If you're far enough away, he won't have time to get the cap off before sap wears off, which saves a valuable trinket/bubble/whatever if you are solo defending a flag.

Since you say your comp varies, I take that to mean that you do not have a core group of 10 players. Having a dependable group should always be your first priority as an RBG leader, because team cohesiveness is more important than any comp or strat. Knowing your teammates is the most effective way to push rating. I'd recommend practicing with another group of 10 in a faux-RBG setting using wargames. This will give you ample opportunities to try out funky strats and learn to play well together.

As well, you should instruct your teammates to call out EVERY CC being used. At all times. And you should be cc'ing people as much as possible. The team that cc's well and communicates well will go on to do great things.

Above all else, ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE AFTER A LOSS. Nothing kills progression like a terrible RBG leader who cannot cope with the responsibility and obligation of dealing with your losses. Talk about losses and wins, and discuss what you can do better after every game.

Good luck OP
    Last edited by kleinlax21; 2013-01-21 at 06:13 PM.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Quote Originally Posted by nafz View Post
    name one thing a hunter can do that a rogue can't

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    name one thing a hunter can do that a rogue can't
    keep people off nodes while cced.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Quote Originally Posted by nafz View Post
    Mages donot have an indefinite stealth, therefore they give away their location allowing the sap cap victim to call for help before knowing what's happening. Hunters can sneak in sure, but cannot cc a target long enough to get a node cap(trinket).

Always have a rogue.

Mages donot have an indefinite stealth, therefore they give away their location allowing the sap cap victim to call for help before knowing what's happening. Hunters can sneak in sure, but cannot cc a target long enough to get a node cap(trinket).

Always have a rogue.
    So wrong. A hunter can force trinket right away and not have to reset to get the cap. Rogues must get a restealth against a defender who....defends...

Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    keep people off nodes while cced.
    didn't quite think of that to be honest

Don't pre-assign CC targets. Lots of times people will be dead, not in the fight, etc. You have to make sure your CC classes are just doing it and calling it out when they do it.

The target caller is the most important person on any RBG team, even more important than the leader in most regards. They have to be forceful, knowledgeable about all the classes and their cooldowns and defensives, have a good understanding of the map mechanics, and have a good nose for finding where the fight will be.

DKs make the best target callers because they are melee which is most of the time the limiting factor on what target you can be on, and they have control over death grip. They also have tools to overextend slightly for a few seconds to allow healers and dps to catch up to them.

A good target caller will be keeping track of enemy CDs and know when it is the right time to train a vulnerable player or force an offensive player to be defensive. They also have to communicate not only who the team should be on now, but who the team should be on in the future. Often a good target caller will use the team to force defensive cooldowns on a player and they switch everyone to a different target and force the healers to switch focus. Then the target caller will alert the team that the previous player's defensives are down and they should all switch in 3...2...1... that gives the CC guys time to CC targets and switch and makes it so everyone hits the target at the same time. Coordination like that is key. DKs target calling can also do some cheese with mass grip into ring of frost, mass grip into solar beam. Mass grip to ledges for knockbacks, etc. So if the target caller is also a DK they coordinate those kinds of combinations.

Also, if you find a target caller that you feel has a good understanding but your team is just not following his/her instructions tell the target caller to be a shithead and be forceful. Make sure they understand that if they are a little bit of a dick and bitch about people not being on a target or repeatedly call a target if it is not being focused that it is okay. Many people target calling (especially in PUGS) will be meek because they are afraid of being booted for being a dick. Some of the best teams I have played with have had real asshole target callers, but when they called a target that guy died. All it takes to win a head to head is to get that first kill rolling and the other team will start to fall.

So my best advice for building a good RBG team, find a good target caller first and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by scadouche View Post
    So wrong. A hunter can force trinket right away and not have to reset to get the cap. Rogues must get a restealth against a defender who....defends...
    It's called sap, cap flag, if trinketed, blind, cap flag.

This works on any class without a pet. minus warrior.

It's called sap, cap flag, if trinketed, blind, cap flag.

This works on any class without a pet. minus warrior.
    Here comes a mind blower. People don't stand on the flag. If they do they don't play the game right and at that point anyone can cap on them.

Healers - Hpala, Rsham, Rdruid
    DPS - DK/Rogue/Spriest/Lock/Boomkin/Mage
    Tank - Warr/Guardian/DK (in that order)

God comp.

Use a DPS DK as a target caller, reasoning being is that he knows what he can hit in melee range (therefore everyone around him should be able to hit it) and he has a great initiation/isolation utility with death grip. Also it is good to seperate the BG leader and TC roles.

With target calling if everyone learns to respond to one person you will kill on a call the majority of the time, 6/7 dps switching to a target and all nuking in 1-2gcds is too fast for healers to respond too.

With ccing you can't pre allocate cc's in most situations (unless you are doing say AoE DG > solarbeam > ROF or something). Yourself and the target caller need to know what cc's each player has and call them on the go, for example killing the Hpally, you may call for hard cc's on the other 2 healers (mage CS / Druid Cyclone for eg) while you interrupt the pally with kick, Ask the spriest/warr to be ready to pop bubble then call the play.

Theres a great guide on general tactics somewhere in the forums, read it about 2-3 weeks ago

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevaara View Post
    Healers - Hpala, Rsham, Rdruid
    DPS - DK/Rogue/Spriest/Lock/Boomkin/Mage
    Tank - Warr/Guardian/DK (in that order)

God comp.
    This is the comp I've been playing at 2.5k but you could switch the Rogue or SPriest for a second:

Lock (for massive AOE Pressure)
    Boomkin (for moderate AOE pressure + beam)
    Mage (pin point single target nuke + ring)

It is a common misconception that you need high arena exp to play at a high level in RBG. A PVP background helps during 1v1 encounters, but alot of people lose sight of the bigger picture. RBG is as about TEAMwork. Peeling, leaving combat to assist others etc.

In my experience whilst having someone who is amazing with 1v1 who can single cap/defend a base can win you the match, alot of high rated arena players think they're Rambo and run off alone the other side of the map (this causes them to do no damage and youre 9v10) then they get ganked and end up watching a respawn timer.

Don't take on too much, noone can focus on raid leading, target calling, and playing their toon to its maximum potential. At very least have 1 person lead; one target caller, and a back up caller if they die. ABOVE ALL ELSE COMMUNICATE. Call out CC, big offensive and defensive cooldowns (including movement trinkets) incomings and such
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee