Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Draaaagooooons!

Hmm. Dragons.

What is the fantasy appeal of dragons?
    I imagine it has to be just the creature itself, how big it is, the power it can wield, depending on the setting, and just how awesome it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks View Post
    You may not be able to control what you like, but you sure as hell can control how far you let it go. I happen to temper my brony fanboyism because I figure that of most people I see, they're either A) going to be freaked out by a guy who likes MLP or B) going to be annoyed because they can't get the fuck away from MLP. I imagine there's a number of people who don't temper their preferences quite so much.
    That is definitely true. Any hobby or like can definitely go too far.

I'm seeing a doctor in a few days, but my mom and a few close friends have suspected that I've been suffering from mild-to-severe chronic depression for a 2-3 years now. Ponies and the fandom (or more accurately, you guys) have been a fierce positive force that have stifled the depression and given me something to look up and forward to.
    If it wasn't for the fact that I hide a lot of what I feel from my family I bet they would say the same thing, and in fact they probably think that anyways. I know I will be seeing two different psychologists when the weather gets warmer.

Hope you have a decent time at the doctors, the first time is usually you and them getting to know each other and feel each other out some.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 05:44 PM ----------

How does a doctor check if you're depressed?
    They basically interview at first, ask you questions, and check your responses. Of course it is pretty easy to tell if you are depressed by certain actions, but someone who wasn't very active with their depression is harder to tell, although there are many things that can clue in a doctor towards this.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Big and powerful are the easiest things to add to a creature. Sexy, I bet I could make a squirrel look sexy if I could draw. But I can't, or at least don't really know how to.
    rawr

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post

If it wasn't for the fact that I hide a lot of what I feel from my family I bet they would say the same thing, and in fact they probably think that anyways. I know I will be seeing two different psychologists when the weather gets warmer.

Hope you have a decent time at the doctors, the first time is usually you and them getting to know each other and feel each other out some.
    I was at psychologists when I was young. But in the end, they apparently figured out that shyness wasn't a disease.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm seeing a doctor in a few days, but my mom and a few close friends have suspected that I've been suffering from mild-to-severe chronic depression for a 2-3 years now. Ponies and the fandom (or more accurately, you guys) have been a fierce positive force that have stifled the depression and given me something to look up and forward to.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to me (but I'll be damned if I'm paying someone to tell me). Then again, unlike most people, I'm not so sure this fandom and this show has had any positive influence on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to me (but I'll be damned if I'm paying someone to tell me). Then again, unlike most people, I'm not so sure this fandom and this show has had any positive influence on that.
    Is depression even a sickness? I may be wrong, but I kinda sounds like the "being fat is being sick" argument, which is rarely true.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Dragon View Post
    rawr
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AhlPq4Y.jpg[/IG]
    Force dragons are best dragons.

I was at psychologists when I was young. But in the end, they apparently figured out that shyness wasn't a disease.
    Some parents may confuse shyness for it. I know I am easily depressed because I have wanted to kill myself plenty of times in the past and have trouble letting things go and trouble focusing on myself.

It isn't fun to have to pay for it, that is for sure, but it depends on just how bad someones depression is. Mine I can hold off, but it easily can get to be to much and I am quite tired of feeling this way.

I like to think the show has done something, but I believe this place has done more. This is some sort of place where I belong, even if sometimes the worst part of me believes I am still an outcast here.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 05:53 PM ----------

Is depression even a sickness? I may be wrong, but I kinda sounds like the "being fat is being sick" argument, which is rarely true.
    It depends. Some people will say they are depressed when it is only really a bad day, depression is when you have trouble being happy, feeling happy, or don't want to be happy. Depression can lead to plenty of other things, I know I almost developed ulcers when I was younger because of it, and people attempt to take their own life.

It is legitimate sickness, it varies from person to person and hard to explain to a person that hasnt had it. :|

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there is two different cases of depression. This is all "this makes sense to me", so don't think of it as fact.

The first one is environmental depression. I'm depressed because my life genuinely sucks (not like those teenagers who seem to be depressed just to be cool). This could also cause a chemical imbalance, as I do eat very little, so there's probably something biological that is exacerbating the condition.

The second is a chemical imbalance that causes it. No matter how good your life is, you're always going to be depressed, because your body is just causing it. These are the cases where I think medication would help, if it can fix all those little things going on inside the body.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragons inherently carry a sense of power in our culture regardless of how they're portrayed. Noble guardian or firebreathing monster, a dragon is something of awe, something to be feared or respected.

Not a psychologist. Internal medicine. Again, she's likely going to check my neurotransmitters and see if any of them are being produced in much lower quantities than normal.

Health insurance + my mom. Plus I saved them (and myself) upwards of $150 grand plus interest/years of student debt by dropping out of college...

It can be. Normal 'being fat' isn't a sickness, but there are diseases which can cause obesity, and likewise, being sad isn't necessarily depression and thus a sickness. It's continuing to be sad and being unable to be happy that's depression, which can be a disease--lack of certain neurotransmitters are often at fault, which makes it a legitimate biological disease. But again, 'depression' is really just a symptom of another problem (unhealthy mentality, for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    Frey is still sorta here >_>

Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best

It depends. Some people will say they are depressed when it is only really a bad day, depression is when you have trouble being happy, feeling happy, or don't want to be happy. Depression can lead to plenty of other things, I know I almost developed ulcers when I was younger because of it, and people attempt to take their own life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    It is legitimate sickness, it varies from person to person and hard to explain to a person that hasnt had it. :|
    I think there is two different cases of depression. This is all "this makes sense to me", so don't think of it as fact.

The first one is environmental depression. I'm depressed because my life genuinely sucks (not like those teenagers who seem to be depressed just to be cool). This could also cause a chemical imbalance, as I do eat very little, so there's probably something biological that is exacerbating the condition.

The second is a chemical imbalance that causes it. No matter how good your life is, you're always going to be depressed, because your body is just causing it. These are the cases where I think medication would help, if it can fix all those little things going on inside the body.
    It can be. Normal 'being fat' isn't a sickness, but there are diseases which can cause obesity, and likewise, being sad isn't necessarily depression and thus a sickness. It's continuing to be sad and being unable to be happy that's depression, which can be a disease--lack of certain neurotransmitters are often at fault, which makes it a legitimate biological disease. But again, 'depression' is really just a symptom of another problem (unhealthy mentality, for example).
    And then I learned something about depression.

Well, nighty night everypony!

Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    Frey is still sorta here >_>
    * Glomps and snuggles Frey

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    I thought about going to a psychologist sometimes, but I'm afraid that they'll just say that actually nothing is wrong with me and that's really just me.
    Wouldn't that be the better than getting told "You're sick and should feel sick"?

Oh wait, I went to bed. Damn.

Not a psychologist. Internal medicine. Again, she's likely going to check my neurotransmitters and see if any of them are being produced in much lower quantities than normal.
    Oh, well that makes sense then.

I need to probably do something similar, and by that I mean need to see a doctor for the first time in years to get a lot of things checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    I thought about going to a psychologist sometimes, but I'm afraid that they'll just say that actually nothing is wrong with me and that's really just me.
    It depends on what you would be talking about. Not everyone goes because they are depressed, it could be something else that has been on their mind, which means there may not be anything wrong with them, but they could use someone else to bounce their thoughts off of.

I tend to try and talk as little about myself for some reason during my sessions. Somehow I am talking about simple day to day stuff or other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wait, I went to bed. Damn.
    You cannot simply post in this thread and "go to bed". There's a minimum quote of five ninja F5s that has to be filled before you can actually go to bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why I woke up

Yo all.
    This "unaired" Dexter's Laboratory episode... wow...
    Last edited by Runeweaver; 2013-01-22 at 11:10 PM. Reason: I always spell it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runeweaver View Post
    Yo all.
    This "unaired" Dexter's Labratory episode... wow...
    Hiya Squiddie

Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runeweaver View Post
    Yo all.
    This "unaired" Dexter's Labratory episode... wow...
    They finally released it, or are you just reading about it?