Poll: Would you like Vanilla-like 5 mans back?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I have played in vanilla, I have to admit that I have done a grand total of one dungeon properly. Well if you count running into deadmines alone and dying horribly to the first mob and never wanting to do a dungeon again, then two.

However the impression I get while talking to my boyfriend the vanilla player, from reading forums etc, is that they took forever to complete. 3 hours in a dungeon? Really?

No thanks. I understand well that some people probably can spend 3 hours straight in a dungeon without afking - probably children during the day when parents are at work and older people who live alone and have some free time during the night or whatnot after work. I, however, have a family, a pet and a house to maintain, so 3 hours without afking is impossible to me Am going to pick the ''no, no time anyway'' option. And I think even if I magically had a lot of free time in real life, like, if I broke a leg or something and couldn't move, spending 3 hours straight doing one dungeon is not interesting or healthy. Eyes need short rest breaks, brain needs rest... Even most raiding guilds have afk breaks mid raid so that people can drink/go to the bathroom/rest their eyes/take care of any small matter irl.

Deleted
    Very much in favour of it. I played Vanilla only for a couple of months, but I found the 5-mans a much superior experience to any of the dungeons in say Cataclysm. Cataclysm's 5-mans felt like a contrived challenge - you work out how x works, then you win. Whereas skils like crowd control and class skills needed to be much more part of the flow in Vanilla's dungeons. And the mobs didn't have bloated HP pools to make the dungeon artifically longer.

I would love long dungeons as long as they put them in a separate LFD queue.

Deleted
    nope. i remember once spending nearly 2hours in wailing caverns, and BRD took forever! i prefer them nice and short, not something that takes up my whole evening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.
    Even now I love BRD as it's just so big and has loads of places to explore which combined with the time definitely makes it feel slightly more realistic (not really, but you get it) as you're spending a long time charging through a hostile enemies lair.

I also think adding longer dungeons helps to mix the dungeons up and make them feel more individual.

They would perhaps have to be not as long as the older ones though. The last thing I think some people want is to be obliged to run a dungeon so long they don't wish to do it, but still want the loot.
    The other problem is that the LFD has created a some what lack of will to see things through to the end as there's no real penalty. The longer the dungeon the more prone it will be for people to just leave after 1-2 bosses. On top of this some people may simply not have the time to finish the whole thing.

Well, as "epic" as some people might feel going through BRD or BRS, or the god-forsaken old Sunken Temple, I found them to be ridiculously long and annoying. Unfortunately, a 30-minute penalty would just be an even larger waste of time than trekking through these maze-like places. Therefore, NO. Leave the dungeons wrath style. Unless Blizz hands out valor like candy for long, monotonous dungeons with too many bosses and themes with too little abilities and lore behind them, I will never support a return to the old vanilla-style dungeons. They're fun to return to occasionally for xmogs or for nostalgia's sake, but I do not want them to return.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Are we including the lack of mount until 40, epic until 60, single flight paths, subpar specs,
    dungeons that had a giant level-range, like 45-55, causing lowbie groups to reach trash and bosses they couldn't beat?
    Are we also removing the dungeon map? Removing most tank AoE?
    We'll throw in some mail items with spirit/agility too.

BRD corpse run <3

No, I do not want classic 5mans back, because I'm not going to pick-and-choose what that means.
    People probably imagine these overly long "epic" dungeons, without including the shit that came with it.

Todays 5mans aren't meant to last more than half an hour. 5man HC is the very first stepping stone in gear progression. Why would they arguably be longer and more tedious than a raid
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2013-01-29 at 11:55 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't mind seening say, two or three per xpac, slightly longer than current dungeons, but not quite as long as say, Vanilla Stratholme, or UBRS (just for an example), but if it was to get out of hand, say two or three per patch, then no thank you Blizz...
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

I think the 3 hour dungeon runs are not the way to do it anymore. What they can do to make dungeons more interesting is the option to complete it in a different way. Like the old Dire Maul north tribute runs (for those who don't know, a tribute run is a run where you skipped all the guard ogres in the dungeon by sneaking past the first two, trapping the third in a big frost trap and passing the last using an ogre suit to get extra (different) loot in the tribute chest) It took more organization and communication, but it was a lot of fun to do.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Voted Yes I like them long.

BUT Not part of LFG random heroic que. That way when and if players want to make that time investment they can go do it. I enjoyed those zones as well but if I only have 30 minutes before I need to go do something I don't want to get randomly thrown into them like ZG and the such.
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

Deleted
    While I enjoyed the 5 man content in vanilla, it was mostly because I was like 15 years old and had the time to spend hours in measly instances.

Today, with a full time job and other social engagements of my life, I'm all for the shorter, more rapid instances.

Though I certainly wouldn't mind having them available outside of the LFD queue.

Deleted
    Yes, please. Just make two for the quick points and gear and one long one : )

Vanilla style dungeon COULD be implemented in the game if they are not on LFD. You need to form your own group. It's basically mini raid. It's good for the game imo to have 5man with raid difficulty that reward raid quality gear.

It'd be a great addition so long as they weren't in the random dungeon finder and were 'marketed' towards guild runs.

I'd love to be able to do a dungeon for a couple of hours with a small group of guildies when not raiding. All open ended with ramping difficulty like BRD but with the quality of design and interesting mechanics that have come with newer dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by oraz4000 View Post
    God no game has changed and so have the players, i already tear my hear out whenever i get Shado Pan Monastery..
    You must mean niuzao temple.

Deleted
    I think there should be an option to go for the long version, or the long version. The long version would be more fun to do with friends, and the short version will be in the LFD tool. though, the long version shouldnt take longer than 2 hours to complete, because then you get the whiners that they have no time for it.. ( people think because they don't have time of it, people who got plenty of time shouldn't get the possiblity to do stuff that is hard or takes a shitload of time)

Hopefully they will add content like this, so even without raiding, i can play with a smaller group of friends, and do long dungeons with them.. I miss the times with LBRS, BRD, SCHOLO and STRAT!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Are we including the lack of mount until 40, epic until 60, single flight paths, subpar specs,
    dungeons that had a giant level-range, like 45-55, causing lowbie groups to reach trash and bosses they couldn't beat?
    Are we also removing the dungeon map? Removing most tank AoE?
    We'll throw in some mail items with spirit/agility too.

BRD corpse run <3

No, I do not want classic 5mans back, because I'm not going to pick-and-choose what that means.
    People probably imagine these overly long "epic" dungeons, without including the shit that came with it.

Todays 5mans aren't meant to last more than half an hour. 5man HC is the very first stepping stone in gear progression. Why would they arguably be longer and more tedious than a raid
    Who says anything of the negative points your pointed out would be implemented. Can you not read between the lines that what I suggested is new implemented content - but longer like vanilla dungeons. Geez whats so hard about that to comprehend. I am not asking to go back TOTALLY to vanilla. God no.... buffing every 3 min (and then 2 minutes of actual play) to buff a 40 man raid with kings etc etc... come on thats not fair to this discussion at all.

Deleted
    The vanilla dungeons were awesome at the time, aswell as the tbc ones, and i do miss them. But i'd probably rather not have them back and live with the nostaliga instead.

Deleted
    I'm totaly fine with the chall dungeons that have been implemented. To me as a tank in vanila times, the dungs were not about epic adventure, or a challange, but more about the group and the fun you could have there . (Always the same group, discussing new ways of handling the adds ect.) If dungeons of this sort would be implemented I would NEVER EVER go there with a random pug. My fun level is at the bottom after every LFD run I do, just because the people are random and random = bad in most cases.
    This is why I love the chall mode dungs, as I go there with my friends, we have our fun on off raid evenings ... and thats mostly what the OP is asking for I would assume. Lets just stick to what we have now. Will be better ...

Quote Originally Posted by Straido View Post
    I'm totaly fine with the chall dungeons that have been implemented. To me as a tank in vanila times, the dungs were not about epic adventure, or a challange, but more about the group and the fun you could have there . (Always the same group, discussing new ways of handling the adds ect.) If dungeons of this sort would be implemented I would NEVER EVER go there with a random pug. My fun level is at the bottom after every LFD run I do, just because the people are random and random = bad in most cases.
    This is why I love the chall mode dungs, as I go there with my friends, we have our fun on off raid evenings ... and thats mostly what the OP is asking for I would assume. Lets just stick to what we have now. Will be better ...
    I def. would go to these longer dungeons with people that I know. Probably going to queue for it when I outgear that instance so I can fix fuckups more easily (am a healer). But I wouldn't want this type of dungeon in the same queue as a regular heroic. And yes perhaps the dungeons themselves weren't even the issue. But indeed more about "how to deal with these adds this time". It was very much fun on TS/vent to discuss. And yeah it felt like a 5 man raid.