Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    i wish some of you who are so negative would say these things to any solider in person and see what happens and dont reply 'oh ill do it' just do it and see how many teeth you have left, see how good it feels to berate someone who serves in the military. some of you are just stupid morons hiding behind a computer. no reason to quote or reply, nothing youll say will change my opinion of you losers, just as what ive said will change you from a loud-mouth who only says certain things online.

you know it's real easy to blame the politicians

but people still willingly go to join the military to fight overseas, they are still part of the problem.

every warcrime in history happened because the soldiers were "just following orders"

you're not a robot, they can't force you to fight, you will probably be dishonorably discharged but if I was in the military I would refuse to be deployed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    you may not give a shit about genocide but i do, you are speaking yourself
    I never said that I do not. I said that the US selectively chooses where they invade based on ulterior motives. It is not to stop genocide or we would care more about poor countries where innocents are slaughtered, yet we do not. I am not speaking for myself, I am speaking for the US's foreign policy.

If you believe that the US is going around spreading liberty and justice for all, you have been brainwashed.
    I like sandwiches

The thread title kind of shows your opinion before you say anything.
    I have the utmost respect for those who join the military past and present, and its nothing to do with "they serve our country" "they fight for our lands" etc etc.
    The fact is that they have the balls to be willing to lay down their lives for other people is the reason i support them. the reasons for war might not always be clear, However they don't ask questions, they just do.

Quote Originally Posted by jonoy8 View Post
    you know it's real easy to blame the politicians

but people still willingly go to join the military to fight overseas, they are still part of the problem.

every warcrime in history happened because the soldiers were "just following orders"

you're not a robot, they can't force you to fight, you will probably be dishonorably discharged but if I was in the military I would refuse to be deployed.
    Refuse to be deployed where?

Deployed at all, than why join? what a cop out.

So your okay with recieving all the pay and benefits of being in the military than refuse to deploy for some opague reason. It doesn't work that way, unless you want to have a possible prison sentence and a dishonorable discharge on your record.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Yeah you do.

The US doesn't have a draft anymore bro. And even if they did you could flee to Canada if you were adamant about not going to war.
    Actually I don't think running to Canada actually saves you anymore. If the US were to reinstate the Draft, most people would probably volunteer or be part some militia. In other words, the Draft will only be reinstated if a force poses a direct threat to US soil.

Quote Originally Posted by chunkycarl View Post
    However they don't ask questions, they just do.
    why is that considered worthy of respect, to just do , not think.

these wars will continue because of this mentality

why is that considered worthy of respect, to just do , not think.

these wars will continue because of this mentality
    Care to provide some examples?

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Care to provide some examples?
    what do you mean

the wars in iraq/afghanistian are BS, it was made up of forged intel, there are no wmd's in iraq.

it's absurd people think some goat herders with ak-47's in the mountains of afghanistan, one of the furtherest points away from america is a "threat to our freedom?
    Last edited by jonoy8; 2013-02-08 at 02:12 AM.

I would not be deployed to aghanistan or iraq because they are wars started on false intel and lies and have nothing to do with protecting america.

I'm not throwing my life away for nothing, try and imply i'm a coward but it's utter stupidity. Much like charging machine guns with bayonets is not bravery, but stupidity.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 02:11 AM ----------

what do you mean

the wars in iraq/afghanistian are BS, it was made up of forged intel, there are no wmd's in iraq.

it's absurd people think some goat herders with ak-47's in the mountains of afghanistan, one of the furtherest points away from america is a "threat to our freedom?

Well the Iraq war sucked...we orginally went in under the premise of finding weapons of mass destruction...none were found, and eventually the intellegence under question.

Then what....

We were already there for years, dismantled the military and political structure, and changed the iraqi way of life. We had a responciblity to do everything we could to try to piece toghter a unifed gov't, restore train and equip their military and police, and building a polical system strong enough to survive. Wether our efforts were good enough remains to be seen

There were/are alot of parties involved in the iraqi conflict that definately did not have the ultimate best intrests of the iraq people in mind...I.E. Iran AQI..etc..etc.

Would you have suggested that the moment we didn't find WMD's or that the intel turned outt o be crap that we just up and leave? Yeah sorry iraq we know we rocked your world, but hey we gotta go.....yeah that work right?

As far as your comment on AFganistan, i would suggest you start doing some reading of exactly who the taliban are, where they come from, the kind of Gov't they led when they were in power, and some of the atrocities they have commited. There is a reason that there is still a strong NATO multinational presence there. Hell even the french are there, thats gotta tell you soemthing.

10+ Year Old Account
    the reasons for war might not always be clear, However they don't ask questions, they just do.
    Soldier, henchman, same thing really. Personally, I want more than that from those that serve our country. Both in the military and police organizations. I want people that ask questions about their job. People that do not compromise their values to follow orders. People that know the difference between right and wrong.

The fog of war clouds judgement. Very true. That is one reason that it is foolish to put soldiers in the situations that we have in the middle east. They have no real clear mission and ambiguity in battle leads to deaths. You must be able to adapt to changing scenarios and that is beyond simply following orders. We need troops that can think for themselves as much as we need leaders that do not put our troops into situations where there is no real clear enemy.

One thing that we will be seeing is more college educated troops. With no jobs available they will end up looking at service. Same goes for police. Eventually we will have a police force and military that actually graduates from college.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-02-08 at 02:24 AM.
    I like sandwiches

The fact is that they have the balls to be willing to lay down their lives for other people is the reason i support them. the reasons for war might not always be clear, However they don't ask questions, they just do.
    I'm going to have to agree with jonoy here - there are things I respect about the military, but the mentality, "Don't ask questions, (don't think) just do" isn't one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Everyone I know who went into the military did it to pay for college, or because they wanted the structure in their life. None of them did it because they wanted to go to war, or be put into a combat situation - even though that was a 'risk.' They also did it because on some level it IS considered an 'honorable' thing to do.

Basically this.

I'm going to have to agree with jonoy here - there are things I respect about the military, but the mentality, "Don't ask questions, (don't think) just do" isn't one of them.
    He doesn't speak for everyone in the military.

jesus we are not robots lol.

Its just a way of passing the responcibility buck.

We in the military do not have a choice wether we deploy somewhere or not, that is decided by the President, and funded by the congress. If people want to be angry about unessesary wars, they need to address the stem of our deployment orders.
    I have no problem with the military forces we have doing their "job" (see: being told where to go and what to do) but you'd be naive to think you are "defending our country" or "protecting our freedom" by being in most of the countries we have personnel stationed in.

So are you saying that that mentality - follow orders, don't ask questions, don't disobey, don't think - is not part of our military?

No, of course it is. And again, it's not something that should be respected, when it's so easily abused.

10+ Year Old Account

This is very true. I know that someone mentioned it, and you may have, there are some very well educated people in the military. I know that my father had two masters degrees by the time he retired. The enlistees may be lacking education, but officers certainly do not.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I have no problem with the military forces we have doing their "job" (see: being told where to go and what to do) but you'd be naive to think you are "defending our country" or "protecting our freedom" by being in most of the countries we have personnel stationed in.

Care to name some examples?

10+ Year Old Account
    So are you saying that that mentality - follow orders, don't ask questions, don't disobey, don't think - is not part of our military?
    They are saying that it is not the entirety, which is true. I know some very smart people that were in the military and are currently serving.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 08:30 PM ----------

Care to name some examples?
    Well, seeing as that we have over 900 bases in about 130 nations, I would say that we likely are in many places that do not want us there.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-02-08 at 02:30 AM.
    I like sandwiches

If you don't consider the USA political government corrupt by this point I have few words to converse with you. The Taliban were a structured organisation that was formed by the USA to fight off the Russians during the Cold War. This then blew up in their faces, now the Pakistan government is supplying these terrorist organisations with weapons to fight back the USA. This in turn has become an oil war, at this point the USA is only there for oil. We gave up on restructuring their country. The only true war effort was in Afghanistan, Iraq was Junior Bush finishing Father Bush's war. The Iraqi civilization was great under the rule of a dictatorship, they were prospering, finally making something of themselves on the world wide market through oil sales. It was growing and showing improvement; even if the women and children, etc were being abused and beaten, that's not going to change. That is the way of the people, not the way of the government. Now Iraq is a shit hole that won't be able to climb out of the toilet they have been pushed into.

Oh and if you think that any war in any place is helping their country, by restructuring their community. Let me tell you this straight (YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON), the amount of civilian casualties far outweighs whatever harsh treatment they were getting before. When the gorilla warfare first started, soldiers were shooting through peoples homes. Now they aren't allowed to do this and are essentially sitting ducks in an enemy territory.
    Last edited by Elemair; 2013-02-08 at 02:35 AM.