Curious pet battles

I'm still very new to this pet battle thing, but I came across something I've been wondering about.

While queuing for pet battles over the weekend there was a stretch of time where I faced 4 different players who, by something I thought was a really odd coincidence, all had the exact same pets. After thinking about it a while, it occurred to me that it was maybe too much of a coincidence. Is it possible it was the same person over and over again, and they were just switching characters and queuing again? Does that make any sense or is there a good reason to do that? Or is the disgusting oozeling, scorpion, virmen-bunny-thing such a great of a combination that everyone is doing it?

10+ Year Old Account
    It was my understanding that the play model you see of the other person is a generic placeholder. So you can fight the same player multiple times but he looks different each time.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    It was my understanding that the play model you see of the other person is a generic placeholder. So you can fight the same player multiple times but he looks different each time.
    This is true, and different locations

Ahhh I had just assumed it used our character models. That makes a lot more sense. Thank you bloodwulf that's been driving me crazy for 2 days now!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is done to keep players anonymous. Although there as been numerous requests to remove it, or at least allow the player a bit of control over what he looks like.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

This is done to keep players anonymous. Although there as been numerous requests to remove it, or at least allow the player a bit of control over what he looks like.
    I don't see how dangerous it will be to use only the model. Considering they can even be from other realms, and without name, guild and realm there would be no 100% recognition.

And even if all of those were in the UI, what difference it would be from dueling in front of capital cities?

I think it's more related to not spend time coding something, than to protect identities.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is done to keep players anonymous.
    I honestly don't understand why.
    Someone enlighten me.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    I don't see how dangerous it will be to use only the model. Considering they can even be from other realms, and without name, guild and realm there would be no 100% recognition.

And even if all of those were in the UI, what difference it would be from dueling in front of capital cities?

I think it's more related to not spend time coding something, than to protect identities.
    that is exactly, you nailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    I honestly don't understand why.
    Someone enlighten me.
    so people don't harass you after you beat them, or they beat you.
    "OMG YOU'RE SO BAD AT PET BATTLES LOL"
    "OMG WTF YOU'RE CHEATING"